PDA

View Full Version : How would this list work in Tourneys? (HE Infantry)

Jhayden
08-01-2007, 22:48
Archmage 220
Level 4 35
Great Eagle 50
Book of Hoeth 100
Total 405

Mage 95
level 2 35
Annulian Crystal 40
Silver Wand 10
Total 180

Commander 70
Armor of the Gods 35
Sword of Might 15
Total 120

Spearmen(20) 220
Full Cmd 30
Total 250

Spearmen(20) 220
Full Cmd 30
Total 250

Archers(11) 132

Swordmasters(20) 260
Full CMD 30
Amulet of Purifying Flame 15
Banner of Sorcery 50
Total 355

Great Eagle(2) 100

RBT(2) 200

Total 1992

Jester007
09-01-2007, 06:40
Not a bad army in all. Just that you're units of 20 will be a little difficult to standing their ground in combat. Cause now that you need to go 5 wide for a rank, 20 is the bare minimum for a combat oriented unit. I play High Elves, Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Orcs, and Wood Elves. Let me say this, I am sorely dissapointed in the High Elves right now cause of the way they are pointed. An archer costing 12 points. Now compare that to the Glade Guard who also costs 12 points. The Wood Elf doesn't take negatives for moving and shooting, can move through trees like its nothing, and gets S4 shots at short range. The HE archer gets none of that........ yeah. But that's one reason why the new HE army book is 2nd in line to come out after Vampire Counts. So right now my beautiful pointy earred freaks are just gonna collect dust until that happens. But I still love them, the Defenders of Ulthuan will rise again to show the WHFB world how things are suppose to be done. Good luck with your list by the way.

Jhayden
09-01-2007, 17:02
I do find it funny how you start off telling me a bit about the list, and then you just sorta go into a rant about how High Elves are inferior to Wood Elves. :P

I understand where you're coming from, and im not being sarcastic. I do think it's funny.

Anyway, how else would you suggest I go with units of 20? With 20 guys at 5 per rank I have 3 rank bonuses at the start of combat. With the spearmen I attack in 3 ranks (2 on a charge) so I can get plenty of attacks in. Sure the rank bonus will dissapear quickly, but it still works out.

Bugstomper
09-01-2007, 17:11
depends what army you're playing really, but against any army with some shooting they'd just be looking at taking one man off each of your units to reduce your combat effectiveness, you're just left with 4 pointless troops on the back.

it's nice to have even numbers, but if you're going for a tourney army then even adding 2 or 3 to another rank would at least give you some scope to take a couple of casualties on the long march across the board before you lose that all important +1 combat resolution.

2thesword
10-01-2007, 05:09
Jhayden, you said that HE spearmen fight in two ranks on the charge? I thought that they only fought in 1 rank on the charge, and that only when stationary would they then fight in three ranks?

Can someone please advise if I'm right or wrong (for once I really hope I'm wrong:)

Jhayden
10-01-2007, 06:06
I think the rule states that you fight with one less rank then normal when you charge. Since HE Spearmen fight in 3 ranks, they would fight with 2 on the charge.

Xavier
10-01-2007, 09:09
Are the silver wand and Annulian Crystal not both arcane items? In which case you can't take both.

Jhayden
10-01-2007, 16:33
Are the silver wand and Annulian Crystal not both arcane items? In which case you can't take both.

Yeah, you're right. I'll switch that out for two dispels scrolls and a silver wand.

Negativemoney
10-01-2007, 16:46
I would suggest dropping the book of Hoeth for the seer ability. I have been toying around with both options and while the Book gives you a more of a garuntee when casting some times you are left out in the cold when it comes to your spell selection. Would you rather garuntee that you have the ability to cast pit of shades on a Slann. Or take the risk in rolling that spell and having the certainty of casting against that Slann. Its a an intresting trade off.

My sugestions would be to take the anullian crystal with your lvl2, take seer, silver wand, and 2 scrolls with your lvl 4 and that should free up enough points for a Lion standard on one of your units of spear men (I believe its 25 poitns). Honestly try both out and see what fits you better.

And drop the lvl4 off of the Eagle. his is just a flying target there. put him with one of the spear units and move him out whent he enemy gets close. You should have about 73 points to beef up your archers and spearmen. If you can possibly free up enough points for a unit of 5 silver helms with the Banner of Elyrian that should give you a solid counter charge force (Granted you might need to loose the Lion Standard for this which would give you 98 points to spend).

Fhoen
10-01-2007, 21:39
yeah don't loose the annuliyan crystal it can come in handy vs lizzy's :) i would say drop the book of hoeth...