PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves And Fantasy In General

teh_soldier
08-01-2007, 22:59
I have played a few games with my Dwarves and am looking to expand them. I currently have the stuff from BFSP and an additional Lord with Great Weapon (love the model). I dont particularly want to go down the Anvil/Gunl Line, Stand and Shoot way, so what should i start buying?

Now, on to the nitty gritty. Having not played enough games yet i have yet to see what is effective. Is taking as many Lords/Heroes as possible a usual method, as it is in Morheim? Are thigs like Great Weapons worth taking? Is it worth maxing out on Runes on everything that can take them?

General things like good units/bad units and ineffective options would be extremely useful.

As an additional note, im not a newcomer to gaming, having played 40K since around 7 years, with Mordheim, Necromunda, Inquisitor, BFG and Blood Bowel all being played at stages.

beerdrinker
08-01-2007, 23:06
Head on over to bugmansbrewery.com they have a lot of useful info as they are a all dwarf site.

Falkman
09-01-2007, 09:05
Much of what you ask about has got very much to do with personal style.
Some people love to take lots of characters and deck them out in expensive gear, making them very potent killing machines, but getting a smaller army to support them.
Others tend to take just a general and perhaps a wizard, give them one or two items and mass up on the troops instead, to win through sheer numbers and the tactical flexibility you get from having many units.
Both ways can lead to success, and it's really just a matter of taste.

When it comes to troops, the Dwarfs had an update back in late 2005, and so received boosts to the units that were previously not seeing much action, and as of today, I'd say that there are no "bad" choices in the Dwarf army, all have their good uses, it's more a matter of what it does for you, what suits your style of play.

If you want to go aggressive, then really, an Anvil is a really good choice, since it will let you move your troops around more, and that will lead to you being able to control the battle in more ways than a slow gunline.

Both Miners and Rangers are also good in an aggressive army, their special ways of deploying meaning that they will have a headstart on the other dwarfs in your army when it comes to closing in with the enemy.

Other than that, all of the Close combat troops work well in an aggressive army, and a runic banner with Strollaz rune on it is worth it's weight in gold if you want to have a mobile, aggressive Dwarf army.

Danger Rat
09-01-2007, 09:30
It depends on your playing style. I prefer combat dwarf armies to gun lines so tend to take a lord a BSB and a runesmith with 4 combat units which is usually hammerers with my lord as it makes them immune to fear and terror and they are stubbon, a unit of ironbreakers, a unit of longbeards and a unit of warriors.

An anvil is a good bet if you want to be aggressive as is strollaz rune.

But probably the best place to go is bugmans brewary

Onisuzume
09-01-2007, 10:43
It's Dwarfs dammit, not dwarves! (sorry, had to point out)
The army is *very* beardy.

Also; I remember playing against the old dwarfs and my opponent had problems with the bolt thrower failing to hit throughout the entire game. (Dwarfs aren't meant to throw sticks at their enemies!)

yankeeboy
09-01-2007, 14:07
No, it's not "DWARFS". It's Dwarves.

Wolf>Wolves
Elf>Elves
DWARF>Dwarves
Loaf>Loaves

With "DWARFS", GW is not consistant with their previous (and correct) use of basic English grammar and spelling.

Edit: Added the Loaf! Thanks McMullet.

McMullet
09-01-2007, 14:29
From Chambers Dictionary online:

"dwarf noun (dwarfs or less often dwarves) 1 an abnormally small person, either with very short limbs and a head and body of normal size, usually due to a genetic disorder, or with fairly normal bodyshape but small proportions, usually due to a deficiency of growth hormone. Compare midget. 2 a an animal or plant that is much smaller or shorter than others of its species, usually as a result of selective breeding; b as adj • Dwarf rabbits. 3 a mythical man-like creature with magic powers. 4 a dwarf star (sometimes further designated by a colour) • a red dwarf. verb (dwarfed, dwarfing) 1 to make something seem small or unimportant • a church steeple dwarfed by surrounding skyscrapers. 2 to stunt the growth of someone or something. dwarfish adj. dwarfism noun."

http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=dwarf&title=21st

From Wikipedia:

"A dwarf is a short, stocky humanoid creature in Norse mythology as well as other Germanic mythologies, fairy tales, fantasy fiction and role-playing games. The plural of the word dwarf was historically spelled dwarfs, but fantasy author J. R. R. Tolkien used the plural dwarves, which has entered general usage. However, the older spelling is still actively used."

The same thing applies to elfs.

Wolves and loaves, however, are proper English.

yankeeboy
09-01-2007, 15:51
"Dwarves"...... Good enough for proper English rules, good enough for J.R.R. Tolkein, good enough for me. :)

zak
09-01-2007, 19:19
Not to put a too finer a point on this......but, does it really matter all that much? Dwarves or Dwarfs. Equally viable and everyone is aware of what you mean on both accounts!:rolleyes:

gorenut
09-01-2007, 19:27
Yea, seriously. haha. It would be like me getting on a fellow American's case for using colour instead of color.