PDA

View Full Version : Choice of army

The Grand Wazoo
08-01-2007, 23:09
I'm thinking about getting my first LotR army and at the moment I'm leaning towards either The Fiefdoms (i.e. Prince Imrahil and the Knights of Dol Amroth), Riders of Eorl or Wild Men of Druadan Forest with some allies for a Good force, and either Angmar, Dunland or The Corsair Fleets for an Evil force.

Yes, I know Wild Men and Corsair Fleets aren't released yet, but they just seem wickedly cool. :p

Anyway, could use some thoughts and pointers about the different armies I've listed. I like playing challenging armies, as my 40K armies are Dark Eldar and Orks... so don't be afraid to say that any of these armies are tough to play.

Kromando33
09-01-2007, 10:37
Hopefully Corsairs get a 'mumak' size pirate ship when they get released, and can be used with the boat rules in the rulebook. But good luck with whatever army you choose!

Scanno
09-01-2007, 11:22
I want those armies too! Anyone have a rough idea when Corsairs will be surfacing? It'd be great to have them.
Thinking of taking a break from my silver w/ light blue trim Marines to paint silver and light blue Dol Amroth :)

Pertinax
09-01-2007, 14:27
I'm thinking about an Arnor force. It strikes me as quite a flexible army. Might be worth looking at closer when the book comes out.

fhelvie
09-01-2007, 20:05
Well, I'm enjoying my Isengard Uruk force considerably having just made the leap to LOTR from the Big Two. I'm not sure that they are the most difficult force to play, but then again, it's rather nice to be able to learn to play and still find success on the tabletop simultaneously. Best of luck with the army hunt!

Shadowphrakt
10-01-2007, 19:40
Probably the most challenging army to use in the lord of the rings is a high elf army as they are expensive points wise and require special planning if fazing a numerically stronger evil force. BUT they have access to powerfull heroes like Glorfindel and Gil-Galad

Pertinax
10-01-2007, 19:48
Let us not forge the most powerful captains too....

Wazoo: What about a Gandalf/Aragorn/Hobbit army?

Gondorian
10-01-2007, 20:46
I'd suggest you go with an army that has lots of minatures that appeal to you. Going to the field with models that you like and take pride in is usually more fun than those that were picked to win games.

The Grand Wazoo
10-01-2007, 22:47
Wazoo: What about a Gandalf/Aragorn/Hobbit army?

Yeah, that's a thought as well.

And unless the Corsair Fleets show up within a month or two, I guess I've settled for Dunland as my Evil army.

Shadowphrakt
13-01-2007, 10:29
A Dol Amroth Army would be good, they are getting loads of new stuff in legions of middle earth, so you could build up a good amroth force and then bulk it up with new models.

Kromando33
13-01-2007, 22:24
Well I would encourage anyone looking to start a lotr army to buy the new 'Legions of Middle Earth' book, which contains many themed but balanced army lists and details of creating your own legion. Plus it has the stats and rules etc for all the lotr new units and armies that will be coming out over the next 9 months of so, like Corsairs etc.

Gondorian
13-01-2007, 23:56
Well it has the points cost and names of the new units but doesn't contain rules or stat lines. LoME is a useful in some ways. It has a load of good scenarios plus its useful for when I'm after points costs for army lists and don't want to lug my big rule book around with me. A nice addition but not a necessity in my opinion. I also like the way that it limits pure power gaming armies that have little theme.

The Grand Wazoo
14-01-2007, 08:28
I do indeed have the Legions book.

As for armies, I still haven't decided 100%. Me and Pertinax fleshed out a GT-sized Shire list (700 points) the other day, that seems nice.. but I don't know if it'll ever win any battles :D

Anyway, the list is Strider, Gandalf, 3 Dunedain with spears, 23 militia, 24 shirriffs, 23 archers and 1 signal horn. Comes in at 697 points and 75 models, which is the limit for 700 point battles. The spears on the Dunedain are just there as a way to spend some of the points I have to spare as I cannot take more models. Any thoughts on the viability of this?

Gondorian
14-01-2007, 13:15
If you could get through painting that many models and afford the cost of that many blisters then fair play to you. Hope you manage it.
In games your biggest fear will probably being timed out. You've got so many slow moving models that it will take you time to move each time and a while before you fully engage and start racking up kills. Mind you with 23 archers you won't have much trouble in volly fire duals.
Just my thoughts.

Pertinax
15-01-2007, 19:23
Don't forget hte potential number of stones that are being thown either... :eek:

hiveminion
15-01-2007, 19:28
Ohh, I'd love to take such a list on with a Mumak...squash, squash, squash:D !

Gondorian
15-01-2007, 19:42
Two Mumaks on the other side would be fun. Watch out for the ranger and the bearded one though.
I'd find it really annoying if I played this army to be machine gunned down by pebbles. It would be equally amusing however.

Pertinax
15-01-2007, 20:32
Hobbits have done pretty well in every competative situation I've seen them in. It is horribly easy to underestimate them.

Gondorian
15-01-2007, 21:14
The biggest advantage hobbits have going for them is that they always have numbers on their side. This also means they get the most archers.
Although they are weak up close and have shorter range bows than other armies, they can launch an overwelming number of arrows at 18inches and an even greater volly of stones at point blank range. (note: in all gw wargames it's possible to miss at point blank range.;) )
One of the most effective armies in the game would probably be basic hobbits with a full third bows. Maybe a hero or two but with such numbers it will be hard enough to kill enough models to get them to break.
Thank god that there is a model limit.
However, hobbits surely have their weaknesses to. If can close with them in a wedge formation you stand a good chance of scoring a lot of kills. They will eventually be able to mob you but with only four inch movement it will take them a while to reach and overwhelm both flanks. Also, the four inch movement means they have little room for mistakes in deployment, once it's down it'll be a while before it covers the ground to redeploy. It also means they will take a while to reach objectives therefore you get a long while to be ready for them. Cavalry will also be able to dance around them, until of course the mounts are mowed down by archers.

Note: I don't have anything against hobbit armies, I just find that they make my goblin hoards look silly.