PDA

View Full Version : how do people transport landspeeders?

ashc
08-01-2007, 23:40
Genuine question. They are so damn fragile, I don't know where to start with transporting the little blighters.

I assume its similar issues for anything on those flyer bases; how do people avoid snapping them at every opportunity they seem to get?

perhaps there is some trick in the assembly that helps make them a bit more robust.

thanks to anyone kind enough to reply,

a very perplexed

Ash

Voodoo Boyz
08-01-2007, 23:59
My flying bases aren't glued to the models, and sit separately from them in their carrying case which is really just a $12 pistol case you can get at walmart. With some nice cheap craft foam on the bottom and the foam in the pistol case cut out with holes for the speeder they fit in just perfectly along with my rhino hull based tanks/vehicles and the dreads.

ashc
09-01-2007, 00:00
thanks Voodoo Boyz; and you have no problem attaching/reattaching said bases every time you use them?

Ash

lord_blackfang
09-01-2007, 00:06
Protip: ther are no breaky bits on the top side, or rear side. So place them upside down or on their asses.

Tiff
09-01-2007, 00:30
Never glue flying bases to anything -- except drones

Just something that I work by :p

Chimera
09-01-2007, 00:35
Another solution (that worked well with BFG) is to drill out the holes in the models that the flying bases go into - not too much, just so they're slightly larger than before. Get rid of the 'snap-off' part of the stem that usually goes in the model. What you have now is a slightly shorter, thicker stem on your flying base. Finally, just... umm... shove it in the hole.

Net result is a model that sits nicely on a reasonably strong and stable flying base, that you can remove to transport.

Kahadras
09-01-2007, 00:48
I usualy don't glue the model to the flying stand. When transporting the model I have a small box and bubble wrap which usualy holds the model quite securely. In the time that I've been using it my models have never been damaged during transportation.

Kahadras

BrainFireBob
09-01-2007, 06:01
Sabol Army transport case, one's upside down (stand had to be glued together).

The others are separated from their bases. Haven't broken yet.

Everything else I ever tried broke them. It's why I got the expensive case. There are a few investments that are a bit steep but are worthwhile in this hobby- a high-quality model transport is one, IMHO. Some quality brushes are another (not too much on their own, until you realize that one or two brushes are all that you get for that price.)

fwacho
09-01-2007, 08:27
I falready glued then upside down is reasonably secure.. is not tehn seperate them from their bases naytiem noton table.

BLZBOB
09-01-2007, 10:45
Never glue flying bases to anything -- except drones

Just something that I work by :p

Dont even glue them to drones glue magnets to the base of the drone and one to the tip of the flying stand, makes it easier when you detach those 10 dones from a piranha squad.

mattjgilbert
09-01-2007, 12:13
Agree with all the above - glue the bases and you are asking for trouble. Just re-assemble them as required. This also means you can remove the stand mid-game should you need to have a wreck without an annoying plastic disc sticking out of it.

Takitron
09-01-2007, 12:46
I will parrot the "dont glue the bases!" comments. just dont do it. the magnet idea is a good idea, one that never crossed my mind!

I use Army transports, stored upsidedown with the bases seperate.

BLZBOB
09-01-2007, 16:28
Just a useful point of information not necessarily for the OP but for any tau players a 3mm dia by 0.5 or 1.0 mm thick magnet is perfect for your drones just use a 3mm drill bit to slightly expand the mounting hole and flush fit the magnet. For the stand clip off the nib that normally locates to the vehicle file flat and superglue the magnet into position. And if using magnets always, always check polarity you want a common set up not a smattering of drones that work on some stands and not on others.

yankeeboy
09-01-2007, 16:33
When I had my Imperial fists army, I made custom bases from a standard 60mm (dreadnought size) flat base. I took a plastic tube (Plastruck, etc) and used it to suspend the mini. I then connected the mini and the tube via medium size rare earth magnets, which allowed me to remove the mini when I stored it.

For storage, I used 3 or 3.5 inch Sabol Army Transport Foam, and placed the models on their sides within the foam. It kept them pretty safe for transport, especially with the wonky flying stand detached.

The more I model and paint, the more I'm convinced everything should be magnetized!