PDA

View Full Version : mordheim rules review

jp22102000
09-01-2007, 01:04
i am starting this thread to discuss some of the oddities to the rules or try to clarify areas of the rules that are unclear and see what eveyone thinks about them and suggestions on what to do about them
first i was wondering what are your opinions on repeating crossbows and the quickshot skill? The latest rules review didn't say if you can or cannot use quickshot with a repeating crossbow and was wonder what everyone else thought about it. me personally i would say no you can't use it since the weapon is mechanical in nature and that you would not be able to make it shoot any faster.

Catferret
09-01-2007, 01:16
The rate of fire on the Cho-ku-no was limited mainly by the speed at which the user could operate the weapon. While I admit making comparisons between real world and fantasy isn't a good idea, I can see a case for allowing skilled individuals to operate the weapon more efficiently than that of someone who hasn't fully mastered it.

Weapon Expert allows use of the weapon at a basic level while Quick Shot grants the more masterful user greater benefits. If someone wants to use a lot of skills to boost one weapon then let them.

I would be more inclined to limit Quick Shot with regular crossbows which is dramatically slower to fire than a repeater. Also, they already have a Move or Fire penalty so they lose nothing to gain the benefit of Quick Shot.

TKitch
09-01-2007, 01:37
quick shot is no longer a 'move or fire' ability.

With bows you can move and fire with quickshot.

And if you did let someone fire off 4 shots with Quickshot on a RXB you're SO breaking the system, making dark elves insanely powerful.

FYI: The RR will happen when it does, don't hold your breath waiting.

Catferret
09-01-2007, 01:41
@TKitch

I bow to your superior knowledge being Mordheim editor! I looked at the ORB and saw Move or Fire but that's probably coz I haven't updated it! Therein lies the problem with the Living Rulebook Idea. While it is free to everybody, nobody knows which version we are all using... Time to check which version I have...

TKitch
09-01-2007, 02:37
Don't take my word as god. Quite Honestly, I know a lot, but the rulebook is a fickle thing, and I've been proven wrong.

The original Rulebook is still the same, there's only one version printed. (Well, mostly, there have been 2 technical printings with a couple minor changes, but overall, they're they're same.)

The LRB is in it's 3rd revision presently. (LRB1 = same as printed, LRB2 = most of the RR added, LRB3 = All of the RR changes, and significantly decreased file size.)

jp22102000
09-01-2007, 23:20
another item that pops up in our games is squig movement. we play as the squig has to move the distance rolled in a straight line but i don't think anything offical has been said about it

TKitch
10-01-2007, 02:42
nothing official has been said.

The author (Mark Havenor, I believe) stated:

Straight line, and you only stop if you hit a wall or an opponent to charge.

gorgon
10-01-2007, 21:27
If you interpret Quick Shot using RAW, you can't combine it with a repeater. Note that the skill allows you to fire TWICE, not "double your shots." As others have said, there's no official ruling on this, but IMO that's the clearest (and most balanced) argument.

Dakkagor
14-01-2007, 00:23
Me and my mates where a bit miffed that goblins couldn't get experience as henchmen. Especially as you get night goblin warlords and great shamans. We upped the cost of gobbo henchmen by 5gc each and allowed them to pick up experience as normal. While bs4 gobbo archers lead by a gobbo hero with loads of archery skills was quite nasty, they had been obscenely lucky earlier in the campaign, and the orcs where much worse by that point.

Scanno
14-01-2007, 14:19
The rules don't state that gobbos can't get experience as henchmen, just that they can't become heroes. And in fluff, gobbo warbosses usually only come about when there are no orcs about, and the first orc mob the boss encounters kicks him back in line.

thunderwolf
15-01-2007, 08:59
Hmm... They seem to have changed that in the online version; in the Best of Town Cryer, gobbos can't get experience.

Dakkagor
15-01-2007, 09:00
Having read the rules quite recently, I have come to two conclusions

1: when the ork warbands where pdf'ed from the white dwarf article, the rule I remember was changed
2:I got it wrong, my bad!