PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves 2000pts Balanced list

jimmysnz
09-01-2007, 02:58
I have used this same list in my last 5 Battles. 3 Wins against lizzards, beasts and dwarfs, 1 Draw against a dwarf and high elve force and a Loss against highelves (LOTS OF MAGIC).

Basically I just want to see if you think my list is balanced or what may improve it.
I take units of 12 dryads as i find they are good with a little more punch and can actually win combats rather than just be a screen for my other units. Also i find 2 units of GG keep characters in units or thin out annoying things that try to flank me. 8 wilder riders with noble attached almost always assures an outnumber bonus to me, which when i cause fear is wonderful. Use lots of tree singing up to 6 times per turn, and a few support spells, usually ariels blessing or call of hunt.

One item im not sure about is the spear which makes opponents strike back at -1 to hit if i wound them. I miss way to much with him.....

Wood Elves 2000pts

Spell Weaver (AthelLoren Lore)
Wand of Wych Elm 270

Alter Noble
Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom
Great Weapon
Shield
Light Armor 158

Wildrider Noble
Spear of twilight
Elven Steed 157

Spellsinger (AthelLoren Lore)
LvL 2
Calangors Stave
Dispell Scroll 180

CORE 540
12xDryads
12XDryads
12xGlade Guard
Musician
12xGlade Guard
Musician

SPECIAL
8xWardancers
Champ
Musician 165

8xWild Riders
Full command 244

RARE
Tree Man 285

TOTAL 1999

Bull
09-01-2007, 03:14
I don't know if you've tried using Way watchers or not? Because, just so you know, they rule.

And I haven't said this elsewhere but I've always found that either you don't take a mage at all and go for another fighting character or you max out on magic to overwhelm your opponent, if you're worried about magic then take a level 1 with 2 dispells so you have 3 dice and the 2 dispell scrolls, you only get 3 dice with a level 2 mage as well and in the end you might get off 1 spell in a game with a level 2 mage for a much larger points value. But I'd just advise you to take another combat character to be perfectly honost.

Jester007
09-01-2007, 06:26
I think Alter Kindreds are awesome. But the part of not being able to join a unit really sucks. Cause now he's just a missle target with the new rules. Kinda upsets me that GW would do something like that. But go figure. The Wild Riders are a great idea. Elves that are S 4 base!! Not very many of those around. Also they are fast Cav that moves 9 inches. Not bad either! The Treeman though... I really can't say anything. I've seen them destroy entire units, and I've seen them get destroyed in the blink of an eye. They are hit of miss for me. Hope you have more luck with them.

Highborn
09-01-2007, 06:55
*cough*

I don't know if you've tried using Way watchers or not? Because, just so you know, they rule.
... in certain situations. At 24 points a pop with T3 and no armour, they're quite fragile and not for everyone.

And I haven't said this elsewhere but I've always found that either you don't take a mage at all and go for another fighting character or you max out on magic to overwhelm your opponent, if you're worried about magic then take a level 1 with 2 dispells so you have 3 dice and the 2 dispell scrolls, you only get 3 dice with a level 2 mage as well and in the end you might get off 1 spell in a game with a level 2 mage for a much larger points value. But I'd just advise you to take another combat character to be perfectly honost.

Full stops are your friend.

If you have a level 2 as well as a level 1, then you have 4 dispel dice. More importantly, he has his Lord choice as a Level 3, which gives a total of 5 dispel dice. With the Wand of Wych Elm and the Alter Noble as a mage hunter, it should be more than sufficient.

More importantly, Wood Elves fall to magic like flies. Our Ward Saves disappear, T3 against normally S4 or S5 for magic missiles, no penalties for aiming at our skirmishers ... the list goes on.

I think the Alter Kindred noble is great. Vastly underpriced previously, well priced now. He'll need to be protected, but against fast cav or other single characters he's definitely a winner.

BigBuddy
09-01-2007, 14:46
If I were playing this list, which is sort of a maneuver/flanking kinda list, I might take the waywaytchers. If you take the waywatchers, give them a noble and the moonstone of hidden ways, you can rip apart your opponent from behind, and take out annoying warmachines/spellcasters/missle units. With such a treesinging heavy unit (waywatchers get a -3 to get hit when in trees) you could rip your opponent apart with them.

In other words, I would:
1) take out the alter noble for a waywatcher noble,
2) maybe cut a unit of dryads or GG for the waywatchers themselves (depends on the game really, against dwarves dryads aren't as good as GG but against beastmen, the 10 attacks is really good)
3) make sure the waywatcher noble has a moonstone of hidden ways

My advice. Another Idea that I don't know how to play as well would be to take out wardancers and waywatchers and add some glade riders and warhawk riders. Just makes the army a little more maneaver instensive.

jimmysnz
10-01-2007, 08:51
Yep. I usually end up with the WRers down one flank and with the dryads and wardancers double teaming units in the middle. Tree man surfs forests up the middle of the table doing some strangle roots as he goes.

Usually stop most spells early in the game, and hopefully by turn 3-4 I have killed the opponents wizzards.

Thanks for your comments

god octo
10-01-2007, 15:26
looks fine. You explained the unit of 8 wild riders (i use a unit of 7) abnd my only real niggle is that the Spellsinger is 5 points cheaper then you have her down as.:p I use a similar mage set-up and it works well, as long as you have some good spells.

Good luck and have fun

jimmysnz
11-01-2007, 01:20
looks fine. You explained the unit of 8 wild riders (i use a unit of 7) abnd my only real niggle is that the Spellsinger is 5 points cheaper then you have her down as.:p I use a similar mage set-up and it works well, as long as you have some good spells.

Good luck and have fun

I did it from memory :confused: so I guess 5 points isnt a bad mistake. Thanks for clearing that up though.

I always take Athel Loren, and sometimes you just dont get spells that will support you well. Like the anti shooting spell against beastmen, like i had last week.....

god octo
11-01-2007, 12:31
ah, i get that all the time. I got loads of bad things against my bow-filled friends HE army.