PDA

View Full Version : Talisman Returns

The Borgal Rantipol
09-01-2007, 11:06
Check it out:

One of the best ever Games Workshop games returns. (http://www.blacklibrary.co.uk/news.asp?id=271)

borgal

Jedi152
09-01-2007, 11:09
Holy Cr*p!

I've never played the original, but i've heard nothing but good things about it - i't certainly consider giving it a go.

All we need now is GW to team up with MB again to reprint Heroquest... :angel:

**EDIT** On another note i saw this in the small print at the bottom: "Black Industries is the roleplaying and boardgame division of UK-based company BL Publishing" (my emphasis)

Does this mean we could be seeing more old boardgames re-kindled? That's what GW needs to help bring in new players.

Darkseer
09-01-2007, 11:10
No, Warhammer Quest.

It was like HeroQuest on sterioids!

Jedi152
09-01-2007, 11:11
Either will make me a happy man!

Melchor
09-01-2007, 11:12
That sounds promising!
Never played the original game, but people keep saying how good it is. I'll keep an eye out for this!

Also, does this mean GW is going to re-release their other boardgames? I'm talking about legends such as Warhammer Quest and Space Hulk.
I believe the reason why such games were never reprinted was because of the costs of all the cardboard inserts.
Does this mean GW has finally decided this isn't a problem anymore?

The Borgal Rantipol
09-01-2007, 11:34
I have a copy of the second edition of Talisman. I got it off eBay a couple of years back after having lost my childhood copy. What I love the most about this game is how easy it is to learn and play, while still maintaining a level of depth far superior to that of most board games.

The copy I had as a child was second-hand, and was provided to me without the rules. So, my siblings and I simply invented the rules based on what was written on the cards and the board itself. Many years later when I bought my copy off eBay - with the rules - I was to find that we had been playing it correctly all along. That is how easy it is to play Talisman. You don't even need to read the rules. Yet despite it's simplicity it will keep you coming back for more again and again.

In fact I have it to thank for my re-discovery of the wonderful hobby that is tabletop wargaming. It was a bout of nostalgia that led me to buy the copy of Talisman off eBay. Having played a few games of it with my family I was walking past the local Games Workshop store - which is close to where I work - and popped in to see if they still sold expansion packs for Talisman (I hadn't been in a GW store since the early 90's). While I didn't find what I went in for, I did leave with some Space Marines and a starter paint set; I figuring it would give me something to do over the weekend. By the end of that weekend I was hooked. Three years later and I have five WH40K armies and two WHFB armies, and the countless fun they have provided I owe all to the humble board game Talisman.

Borgal

jahorin
09-01-2007, 11:49
that's very good news. i was looking to buy talisman again but it was a bit to pricey on ebay. i'll be waiting for the new october release. but what would be really sweet is a remake of space hulk!

Chiron
09-01-2007, 12:08
excellent news, I may have the old add on packs somewhere as well :D

Greblord
09-01-2007, 15:26
Hmm, may be time to sell my 2nd ed on ebay before everyone knows :)

Catferret
09-01-2007, 15:49
I have been playing talisman since the first edition. Cardboard cut outs for your character! The second edition with funky plastic models was good. The Dragon is still used as the basis for most WFB Dragon models. Can't wait to see what this new edition is gonna be like!

Ophidian
09-01-2007, 16:16
Does this mean we could be seeing more old boardgames re-kindled? That's what GW needs to help bring in new players.

It didn't occur to me till you said it, but that might well be true - pretty much everyone I know, of my age, who got into WH did it through Heroquest and/or Space Crusade...

Dwarf Supreme
09-01-2007, 16:34
I noticed this on the SG forum. This is very good news. I have the original, with all of its supplements, but I'm curious to see how the new edition will be. I hope you don't have to buy minis for it. I prefer the cardboard characters. I've always thought that GW made a mistake when they stopped making board games.

Cherrystone
09-01-2007, 18:06
I have been playing talisman since the first edition. Cardboard cut outs for your character! The second edition with funky plastic models was good. The Dragon is still used as the basis for most WFB Dragon models. Can't wait to see what this new edition is gonna be like!

It was the 3rd edition that had the plastic mini's, both 1st and 2nd used card.

From the BI forams it appears that this 4th edition will go back to the original talisman world rather than borrowing bits from warhammer as 3rd ed did.

ReDavide
09-01-2007, 19:14
So how is Talisman different from Hero Quest?

hereticdave
09-01-2007, 21:30
More like Key to the Kingdom and those style of games IIRC, HeroQuest was more RPG based

Cherrystone
09-01-2007, 23:01
and that all the players are against each other with plenty of back stabbing and sneakery.

EvC
09-01-2007, 23:45
omg awesome
maybe one of the new Dragons in the works will be part of this game too?

grave digger
10-01-2007, 01:42
I'm very excited. Many an hour was spent playing this game back in my college days. My only hesitation is that this is not the "Classic" Talisman game but a new version. At least Rick is working on it so things may not be all bad.

Either way, I know I'll be picking it up to play with my own kids like I did with 3rd ed. when it was re-released. Not as good as the original but still fun.

Diggs

Napalm
11-01-2007, 10:32
I recently bought the 2rd edition on Ebay. This game was very cool and it was easy to hook non warhammer fans in it.
That's a good news !

Jedi152
11-01-2007, 11:00
It's just a pity that as a part of Black Industries it won't be sold in GW stores ... or will it?

It'd certainly make a good game to get new starters in.

Kjell
11-01-2007, 12:30
Well, that was unexpected. I'm not old enough to have played any edition of Talisman (well, I could've played 3rd, but I would only have been seven at the time...) and I've always wondered what it was like. If this is any good I might see if I can buy it anywhere and try to convince my friends to play it with me.

Jellicoe
11-01-2007, 15:07
A great game and as I have said elsewhere one that provided me with hours of gaming fun. Some of the later 2nd ed expansions got a bit unbalancing mind you, particularly the City board. The arch mage was just too easy to get and too powerful when you got it (unless you were a maxed out troll he he)

We upped the magic item limit to be arch mage from 2 to 4 and allowed items used to be purchased by other players. We also upped the strength of the Werewolf and the pit fiends in the centre as they were somewhat weak. We also upped the toll demanded by the Vampire in the centre. This seemed to balance out the character bonuses from the city and the extra kit from the timescape. We also placed a maximum enhancement limit of x3 starting value of strength or craft for characters (+ items and followers) which also seemed to provide good balance

Some of the characters were miles better than others (prophetess) and so we would draw three for each player and then the player on their right would pick the weakest for them. Allowed for characters such as the highlander to get used every so often

great game and glad to see it return, hope they dont ruin it

grave digger
11-01-2007, 23:15
City Scape was Ok but I always found that board boaring. Never got into it I guess. My favorite was TimeScape (love how it was more or less a one way trip) and DungeonScape (who does not like a Dungeon?).

One of my main regrets was not getting this game when I was in College. I figured if I wanted to play I knew the guy with the board. Never thought I'd like to play it with my kids someday. I guess that's what 3rd ed was for:(

I'm really hoping that this edition (4th?) brings back some of the magic.

Diggs

baphomael
12-01-2007, 22:08
Oh. My. God. Talisman! Hot tears of nostalgic joy are welling up...I loved this game!

Oh, and Timescape rocked. Talisman with a pseudo-Indiana Jones, Chainsaw Warrior and a good 'ole beakie Space Marine?!

Sir Theobold the Lame
13-01-2007, 11:34
i'll definately be considering purchasing this when its released!

I think GW and MB should consider rereleasing Heroquest and Space Crusade- as a previous poster said it hooked a generation onto GW stuff- and ive lost most of the cards so i cant play it anymore which is a crying shame!

75hastings69
13-01-2007, 11:41
Having never played Talisman before or really seen it (although I remember seeing the box in GW years ago when it cam out!) can I ask a silly question?

Do you use miniatures from GWs WFB range for this game.

FatOlaf
13-01-2007, 16:08
Hastings, you can if you want to but my version (2nd ED) came with character cutouts that you place in a base that were more than sufficient.
Citadel did make minis for it during the 80's but the standard of them on the whole was poor. The one that most people bought was the Toad for when you get turned into one. A 80's version of the Slann almost.
Me and my friends have grown up playing Talisman and still do, I have all the expansion bar the stupid Time travel one that introduced bloody Space marines to the fold, vetoed that one. The last time I saw a compete set with all 4 exapansions, it went for hundreds. I am looking forward to see what they do with the new version. Fantasy Flight have been re-making some of GW old boardgames, Dracula, Warrior Knights etc and have done very good jobs and I often bought them even though I have the orginal (i have pretty much all of them, could not bare to throw them away).
I will buy the new one if for just the reason that I lost the card for the Sword of Ruin some 15 years ago :cries: and need a replacement!

VanHel
15-01-2007, 04:16
I never got to play it, but when I get some money back I'll be sure to snag this up. Any idea how much it's going to retail for?

grave digger
15-01-2007, 04:39
FatOlaf,

Fantasy Flight? Do you have a link to them. I'd like to check out what they have for the old games.

VanHel,

I expect it to be a tad bit of cash. I seem to recall that the last time they sold (thinking 7 or 8 years ago) they were around $70 or so.

Diggs

Jedi152
15-01-2007, 06:40
Check the link to the company that FatOlaf mentioned: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/furyofdracula_products.html

Fury of Dracula looks amazing!

sigur
15-01-2007, 13:29
I played quite much Talisman 1st edition (the one without any miniatures, only cardboard counters and stand-ups) and it's a very fun and lighthearted game for those gaming evenings you just spend with your friends, have a drink or two. It's amazin to see Talisman making a return.

grave digger
15-01-2007, 16:54
Thanx for the link Scaramanga.

Diggs

lorelorn
17-01-2007, 07:54
This is great news. Talisman 2nd ed is one of my fondest rmeembered games. I wonder if other old GW board games will be released subsequent to this?

rkunisch
17-01-2007, 11:25
This is great news. Talisman 2nd ed is one of my fondest rmeembered games. I wonder if other old GW board games will be released subsequent to this?
I think that will depend on commercial success and needed effort to reproduce them. If they are indeed only released by Black Industries it is very likely that they will fail to make a big impression. :(

Have fun,

Rolf.

Brother Loki
17-01-2007, 14:51
If they are indeed only released by Black Industries it is very likely that they will fail to make a big impression.

I don't think that's necessarily fair - WFRP has been a fairly good seller, and I expect 40KRP to shift bucketloads, so BI products can do well. The boardgames will sell well in independent games stores and online. As a former game store owner I can tell you that board games are one of the few growth areas at the moment. CCGs and RPGs are in decline. There's also the potential for crossover into mainstream toys & games stores, as well as hobby shops, as well. This was what made Space Crusade and Heroquest such successes.

lorelorn
18-01-2007, 01:20
BL Publishing have been successful in getting their product (books) into the high street retail stores. Based on that, I would hope they are able to secure similar distribution for Talisman and other board games they produce.

GWs board games are what got me into the hobby of fantasy games. Talisman, Chainsaw Warrior, Battlecars, the list goes on.

A tidied up version of Kings & Things for example would play a lot like a fantasy verison of Settlers of Catan. Though I'm not sure whether Kings & Things was a GW game or one they sold under licence.

Greblord
18-01-2007, 09:25
K&T was produced under license from West End Games - they are defunct now though (AFAIK) so it's a possibility

rkunisch
18-01-2007, 13:35
I don't think that's necessarily fair - WFRP has been a fairly good seller, and I expect 40KRP to shift bucketloads, so BI products can do well. The boardgames will sell well in independent games stores and online. As a former game store owner I can tell you that board games are one of the few growth areas at the moment. CCGs and RPGs are in decline. There's also the potential for crossover into mainstream toys & games stores, as well as hobby shops, as well. This was what made Space Crusade and Heroquest such successes.
That is the main problem: They do not sell them to the mass market. The independent games stores are fine as is online, but that does not help to recruit fresh blood to the cause. I really like that game (I played it since 1st edition), but the old fame will only be possible if it is sold by Toys'R'Us etc.

Have fun,

Rolf.

sigur
18-01-2007, 15:57
I think the problem is that GW doesn't work together with other games publishers any more. HeroQuest and Space Crusade were sold by MB in Germany; a company who has so-and-so much shelf space in every toy shop. Fantasyish boardgames including miniatures sell very well I think, you just need to show the people that they exist.

BlackViper
01-02-2007, 17:09
Actually the first and second edition had cardboard characters - I had second ed, it was great fun. The third ed replaced them with plastic miniatures from the GW range... It was great too, other than the slighty dodgey artwork.

I have two of the three third ed expansions but I never got the third one - Dragon's Tower sells for about 200 on ebay right now!

Anyway, I'm really excited that it's coming back and to be honest I'll probably buy it and all the expansions just to make sure I don't miss out this time!

Anyone here who hasn't played it, I'd definately enourage you to pick it up. I've even had non-geeky friends come over to play it and they all really enjoyed it too!

-Graham

BlazeXI
01-02-2007, 20:49
Talisman was released in the 80's in Poland as "Magia i Miecz" (Magic and Sword). None of my mates had played it, though. I played it once at winter vacation camp, but the owner did not know the rules, so I did not get hooked enough. I do hope to play some Talisman in the near future, though:evilgrin:.

@Hastings: there are plastic minis for certain warhammer characters, that originate from talisman, like Dark Elf Sorceress, Empire Mages (my favourite was the one with babylonian feel, reading a scroll), a fanatic and so on. Sadly, I only have the fanatic.

lorelorn
17-04-2007, 07:09
Some extra news on Talisman returning, there will also be a version for the PC and for XBox Live Arcade, courtesy of Capcom.

Here's the Game description from Gamezone:

Based on Games Workshop?s classic board game, Talisman is the quintessential fantasy hybrid board/role-playing game for up to four players, either online or offline. The game takes place in a fantasy realm and is based very closely on the board game through a 3D representation of the map with animated productions. Players scour dungeons, attack other creatures, cast effects-laden spells and use magical items and weapons to enhance their actions.

Takitron
17-04-2007, 08:41
dammit, Lorelorn beat me to it!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/13/capcom-brings-rocketmen-and-talisman-to-xbla-and-psn/

75hastings69
17-04-2007, 09:47
OMG!!! Talisman PC FTW!!!!!!!!

Harry
17-04-2007, 09:54
LOL We didn't see that one coming.

Takitron
17-04-2007, 14:40
OMG!!! Talisman PC FTW!!!!!!!!

so far its Xbox live only, I think.

edit:

ok, Im just really sleepy! this WINTER! wow.

75hastings69
17-04-2007, 14:48
It says PC as well.

Catferret
17-04-2007, 14:53
Yup, definitely PC format as well. Woo! I'm so buying that.

Dwarf Supreme
17-04-2007, 16:45
I might by a PC version.

OrlyggJafnakol
17-04-2007, 19:08
I would play a PC version but it would depend on the cost. Its hard to speculate. If they turn it into a dungeon basher then NO! But a serious adaptation of Talisman I would be very interested in, especially if you could play it online.

Takitron
18-04-2007, 04:21
I would play a PC version but it would depend on the cost. Its hard to speculate. If they turn it into a dungeon basher then NO! But a serious adaptation of Talisman I would be very interested in, especially if you could play it online.

Im going to go with the serious adaptation part, have you seen the Xbox live version of Carcassonne (http://kotaku.com/gaming/carcassonne/carcassonne-hits-live-in-june-252605.php)?

Crube
18-04-2007, 08:33
I remember Talisman being the ONLY GW game that I could play with my parents...

As for the PC version - could be great, especially if,as has been said, there will be the option to play online.

Hands up who remembers the 1985 Spectrum version...

BlackViper
19-04-2007, 15:20
WOW! a faithful talisman PC adaptation with 3D board and little moving people! ACE!

de Selby
20-04-2007, 16:35
Never played it, and I'm incredibly vague on how it actually works. Can someone help me out?

Roughly, how do you play Talisman? For example, you play HeroQuest by moving miniatures representing Fantasy heroes (controlled by the players) around a dungeon map, rolling dice to defeat monsters (controlled by the GM), and generally win games by locating some quest item.

In the most general sense, what happens in Talisman? Similar? The descriptions I've read seem so vague they could be referring to Fantasy monopoly :D

rkunisch
20-04-2007, 20:04
Talisman uses fantasy characters with some more or less small specialties. Those try to get to the middle of the board. Unfortunately the way there is difficult and dangerous. You move your character and draw cards with events, items, friends and enemies. You can kill those enemies and get stronger. You also collect items to strenghten your character. It works a little bit like a RPG and that is the main charm of the game. The layout of the board is in three rings around the middle section: The first (starting) ring is the easiest and allows the characters to grow. The middle ring is tougher, but in essence like the outer one. The inner ring is really tough and you need good grown and equipped characters to get into the middle. Characters can die and unless one reaches the middle section you can start a new one and still have a good chance to win the game.

Have fun,

Rolf.

de Selby
22-04-2007, 16:22
Thanks, I think I understand. I'm more into the miniatures-collecting side of things these days, but it sounds like something I would have enjoyed when I was younger. Rules designed by Rick Priestly apparently, and that counts for something.

Takitron
04-05-2007, 05:35
more news I guess from The Website (http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=BI&content=newslist&newsitem=246)

Black Industries are pleased to announce the global street date for the new edition of Talisman is the 1st October 2007. The legendary magical quest game is back, and set to take the market by storm.

Black Industries can also confirm the recommended retail price for the game will be $50 US, 35 sterling and 45.

Flinch
04-05-2007, 06:16
Lets see.. there was Talisman, Talisman City, Timescape... was there a generic expansion too? I thought there were 4 parts to the game...

Anyway... i'm sure I still have all of em somewhere... i remember playing games that lasted days... bluetac to keep all the cards on the board while we moved the game to someone else's house... The best thing ever to happen to that game IMO is the random ending cards...

Prophetress was da bomb... can't remember why.. something about drawing an extra card and discarding the one you don't want? sound familiar anyone?

/end rambling

Jellicoe
04-05-2007, 07:47
There was (at least for the 2nd edition which I have) Talisman, Talisman adventure (more cards, characters and variable endings), timescape, dungeon and city

Prophetess was lethal as she could indeed draw two cards and discard one as well as having spells. We often banned her.

We also toughened up the centre as we felt it was too easy with all the kit you could get from the expansions. The vampire therefore took double the board stated tribute, the pit fiends were strength 8 and the werewolf strength 12 I think. We also made it harder to become the arch mage subclass in the city by doubling the amount of magic items required to become the mage and allowing other characters to buy back said items. We also placed a mximum craft and strength limit in terms of progression of no more than 3 times your starting amount plus items and followers which also balanced things quite nicely.

In terms of getting a variation of characters we would draw three and select the best or draw three and select the worst and then give to the player on the right. Allowed characters such as the Highlander (easily the worst) to get a look in

Interested to know of anyone else's house rules out there

looking forward to a PC version

lorelorn
04-05-2007, 11:51
Going from second edition, which contained the original game, plus the first expansion (and in colour too!) there was:

Talisman the Advanture (extra cards and characters)

The Talisman Dungeon (extra cards, characters, and a dungeon board with specific dungeon cards)

Talisman Timescape (extra cards, characters and a timescape board with specific timescape cards)

The Talisman City (extra cards, characters, upgrade characters, and a city board with specific city cards, plus other specific cards too, like the warrant)

The Talisman Dragons (lots of extra cards, 4 additional characters, this was a great expansion but wasn't on sale for very long)

On the subject of house rules, we always removed the Earthquake card and put it in the pile of Adventure cards about a quarter of the way down, and each time it was drawn we would put it back into the pile. Board clearing was very important as the board was full of clutter after a few turns.

Jellicoe
04-05-2007, 12:51
Thats quite a handy idea. We also used to add extra fools gold and whirlwind cards to cull the super characters every so often

Vogon
06-05-2007, 17:20
Hi there

Not sure if these have been posted before but I hope you like them

Thanks

lorelorn
06-05-2007, 23:25
Thanks for those, I had not seen that shot of the board and rulebook/characters before.

$50? I assume that's US, that's cheaper than I had expected.

Dwarf Supreme
07-05-2007, 16:49
Hi there

Not sure if these have been posted before but I hope you like them

Thanks

From what I can see, it looks like the new board is going to be just like the old board. Bummer. I was hoping for some changes, for the sake of variety.

Takitron
07-05-2007, 21:01
And now the website has a flash trailer (http://www.blackindustries.com/download/popupswf-tal.htm?/flash/tal-trail.swf)!

OrlyggJafnakol
08-05-2007, 06:10
That is a great trailer. Lovely artwork, reminds me of the stuff GW used to publish in the 1980s. Looking forward to this game immensely.

BlackViper
04-06-2007, 14:48
Love the look of the new board. Not a skull in sight! Those cards look lovely too, can't wait for the release.

talismanisland
06-06-2007, 12:18
@ BlackViper - Oh there is at least one skull there that I noticed this weekend, though it is certainly in better taste than the 3rd Edition Board!

@ Vogon - Where did you take those pics? Was is at one of the US Toy Fairs?

Vogon
06-06-2007, 15:30
Hi there

I took it at The Atlanta gamesday a few weeks ago

Cheers

talismanisland
06-06-2007, 18:46
Ah right. It's a pity it wasn't out of those cabinets. We got to demo the game at UK Games Expo in Birmingham over the weekend and it's much better when you can get your hands on the components ;)

There are some photos in the gallery at Talisman Island if you are interested in having a peek.

Deamon-forge
06-06-2007, 23:19
Kool cant wait for this, my mates dads got Talisman from the 1980's weve played it a few times and its great cant wait for the new one.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
07-06-2007, 21:00
No, Warhammer Quest.

It was like HeroQuest on sterioids!

If I remember correctly, the bits and plans and that for Warhammer Quest were lost during some move or other of GW.

At least, thats what they said in the Journal.

I would dearly love to see Warhammer Quest or something like that return. Heroquest is an odd one, as I don't know whether MB have a say in whether or not it's re-released. They'd be mad not to.

That, and I want Wizards of Morcar!

GrimWulf
29-06-2007, 22:52
So when is it coming then? August as per the games day pics, or October as per the website/flash?

talismanisland
29-06-2007, 23:14
The official street date is 1st October, but you can make an advance order on the Black Industries website from the 20th August.

There are also a couple of events where you will be able to get hold of an advance copy.

More details here -

http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=TM&content=talisman-buy

sigur
30-06-2007, 00:43
I visited your site, talismanisland. Very nice archive of information you got there. Thumbs up.;)

I quite like those new, big cardboard figures the new talisman will feature.

talismanisland
30-06-2007, 13:13
Thanks :) Yes, the cardboard standups work very well in game.

talismanisland
10-07-2007, 11:30
Black Industries have just posted an interesting Question and Answer session with Marc Gascoigne and Zoe Wedderburn about the new edition of Talisman.

You can read this article, which also clears up one of the most contentious issues in Talisman, by clicking the link below -

http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=TM&content=talisman-qa

Dwarf Supreme
10-07-2007, 16:57
Thanks for the link. I'm still reserving judgment until I actually see and play it. Fortunately I know someone who is definitely buying it so I'll be able to take a test drive with his copy.

talismanisland
19-07-2007, 11:11
Hi there

Just a quick note to say I've finally put fingers to keyboard and come
up with a small review/comparison of the 4th Edition game.

http://www.talismanisland.com/review_4th.htm

Cheers for now

Jon

Dwarf Supreme
19-07-2007, 16:47
Thanks for the info, talismanland.

BlackViper
23-07-2007, 16:12
Do we get a bous for pre-order? maybe a special card like the arena?

talismanisland
23-07-2007, 16:35
I don't think so... I think that is just for distribution at the prerelease events.

There is another bonus card being sent to retailers I believe, which will be given out by them as they see fit - it will be Rod of Ruin.

hairyman
26-07-2007, 10:27
Wow, Talisman and Space Hulk were great games, much better than HeroQuest. We still dig out Talisman every now and then. You used to be able to get all sorts of quirky board games from GW when I was a kid... Kings and Things, Chaos Maraurders and, of course, "Oi, dats my leg!". A return to that would be really welcome.

DarthSte
26-07-2007, 14:19
I had "Trolls in the pantry" that was a rubbish but entertaining game.

talismanisland
09-08-2007, 13:08
Just to let you know that Neil Thomson has produced what is probably the best review yet for Talisman 4th Edition over at Board Game Geek.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1653199

This should answer any of the question people may have about the game.

Cheers for now

Jon

PS - Links to the other reviews so far (including my very poorly written one!) are accessible here -

http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=TM&content=talisman-reviews

cyrus
16-10-2007, 09:15
I love this new edition. I've played it about ten times now and it's awesome. Lots of fun.
The main difference is that you no longer have to defeat the dragon king to win the game. You still need to go to the centre of the board and there you'll find the crown of command. With that item you can cast the command spell. If succesful all other players get an automatic wound. This can last several turns, untill all other characters are dead or untill someone else gets to the centre of the board and kills the player holding the crown of command.
The only downsides are that there are less characters to play with and that there are also less adventure cards. They should have included more monsters in the deck. One way of solving this is to get a second copy of the game and mix in the second deck of adventure cards. This way you can also customize several cards so that yyou can include your favourite cards from other editions. I miss 'fool's gold' for example...

All in all I'm very happy with this edition...lots of fun.

OrlyggJafnakol
02-11-2007, 17:53
My girlfriend and I throughly enjoy Talisman and she is keen to share the game with as many of her friends as possible. I was aware of the game 'back in the day' but never played. Now I wished I had got more involved in the late 80s as my sister would have been more than happy to play and I could have enjoyed all the expansions... Here's hoping this edition is successful enough to warrant further releases... I want more characters and more adventure cards..!