PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2, Covenant Society

Aun'aart'al
13-07-2005, 22:52
Hookay! So, heres what I would like done in this thread. I have found it interesting to try and piece together the Covenant Society so that it can be understood. Things like ranking and the caste system of the military, to simple everyday life. I remember this created quite the conversation.

I will start us off :D

A Covenant Primer: The Best of the Bestiary
Lots of people want to know more about the Covenant. Who are they? What drives them? Where do they get off invading Earth and attacking folks? Well, it's a long and complex story. So here goes:
What is the Covenant?
The Covenant is a technologically advanced collective of cooperating alien races, which controls a large portion of the Orion arm of the Milky Way galaxy. Naturally this means that in relative terms, the Human race is close to their turf. And as humans began to explore space, it was only a matter of time before our paths crossed.
Originally, the Covenant was a small collection of "client" species, held together by collective need and complimentary abilities and technologies. As this societal model succeeded, so too did the reach of the Covenant, and its technology, culture and belief system began to coalesce into a single hegemonistic culture. It is a culture with a distinct caste system.
The very name "Covenant," originated with a pact between the two senior species - the Prophets and the Elites. To follow is the Covenant Hierarchy It is important to note, that other than the Prophets, the Covenant species' names are those chosen by humans. We simply don't know their true names.

The Gods?
The Covenant believes that the Forerunners, a long-since vanished and utterly mysterious civilization, are god-like, but not literally their gods. Rather, the Forerunners represent a level of being that must be attained, or at least attempted. This belief system is underpinned by the existence of numerous abandoned Forerunner artifacts, objects and installations, of which the artificial world Halo is just one example. The evident technological perfection of Forerunner objects, and the awesome, and unknowable purpose for which these artifacts exist, has powered the Covenant theology for millennia.
There's nothing like evidence for the existence of god, than finding his abandoned toys scattered throughout your backyard. However, the Forerunner technology is as obtuse as it is arcane. The Covenant can only guess at its true purpose and origin, and much of their belief system is based on speculation and dogma. That said they have been able to incorporate some Forerunner advancements into their weapon and transport technology.

Prophets
The role of the Prophets, for as long as can be recalled, is to archive, explore and locate Forerunner technology and artifacts. These intelligent, highly evolved beings are physically weak, hence their need for Elite allies. The pact allows the prophets to advance their search through conquest and occasionally assimilation of species whose homeworlds or solar systems contain Forerunner architecture or technology, often unguessed at by the resident species. Prophet ceremony and purpose is not generally known to the Covenant population, most of who simply trust in their wisdom to further the goals and territory of the Covenant.

Elites
This proud, warlike species is tenacious, aggressive and powerful. Although Elites tend to hunt in packs, they also excel in individual combat. Covenant military promotion is by merit. A Covenant soldier must succeed to advance. Success is often measured in scalps. A Covenant of "Admiral" or equivalent rank, may have personally slaughtered thousands of individuals.
Rank is indicated by uniform color - purple being that of an Elite foot soldier, red that of a veteran and so on up the chain of command. Black or gold-suited Elite are a very dangerous opponent indeed.
Fast, agile and incredibly strong, Elites augment their natural physical abilities with advanced weapons and defensive technology. Elites wear full-body energy shields, and occasionally use light-refracting camouflage against species whose vision makes this technique effective.
Elites coexist with Prophets uneasily. They need access to the Forerunner technology parsed and reverse engineered by the Prophets, and certainly demonstrably share some religious beliefs. But the Elites prefer to demonstrate their faith on the battlefield not the temple. They have little patience for those who believe that liturgical pomp, rather than conquest, is what the Gods require.

Brutes
Little is known about these giant fur-covered aliens other than they have strength and agility comparable to that of Elites and that their preferred weapon is different to any yet encountered in Covenant skirmishes. Their political and social status is unknown. We expect updated intelligence, soon.

Hunters
This most mysterious of Covenant client species, seem almost barely tolerant of their Covenant "masters" and remarkably little is known about their civilization, history or even biology. They work hard in their role as Covenant muscle, and never disobey orders. However, their commitment to the Covenant religion has always been in question, since they continue to maintain their ancient cultural traditions.
The massive bulk of a Hunter is impossible to mistake, and the fact that they always hunt in pairs makes them even more memorable - although few human/Hunter interactions have ended with anyone left alive to remember anything.
Hunters are dismissive and contemptuous of their foes, and in fact, they will only associate with Elites, recognizing and respecting perhaps a similar warrior mentality. Hunters are deployed almost like heavy munitions, and other Covenant will often clear the area of deployment, since Hunters are unconcerned with collateral damage. Huge impenetrable shields, powerful Fuel Rod Guns and tactical brilliance are the hallmarks of Hunter combat.

Engineers
These creatures are not encountered in Halo, but they play a vital role in the Covenant hierarchy. While the Prophets guide, direct and manage Forerunner research, it is the Engineer caste that must excavate, unlock and transport Forerunner artifacts. These remarkable aliens are patient, almost completely silent and utterly focused on their task and its religious implications.
Their concentration has been described as "a trance-like reverie" by the few who have witnessed it. They communicate only with Prophets - a fact that may contribute to the balance of power between Elites and Prophets - and in fact will usually ignore anything that is neither a Prophet nor a Forerunner artifact. One observed exception to this fact is a high-pitched, keening wail that Engineers will emit should Forerunner objects or structures be threatened.
Jackals
Although technically they exist on the same social strata as Grunts, both species feel that the other is their lesser. Jackals, while not quite as resilient as Grunts, are certainly faster and possess far superior senses. This makes them excellent stalkers and snipers, and as such, they tend to have "better" battlefield positions.
Often described as "birdlike" certainly in terms of their darting, staccato motions, the Jackals can vary in appearance, sometimes appearing with flat, bone-ridged skulls, or sometimes with a distinct, Mohawk shaped plumage. It is unclear whether this variance is based on age, gender or both. Ferocious, unpredictable combatants, the Jackals typically present much more of a challenge than their grunt cohorts, and should be regarded with caution.
Grunts
Undoubtedly on the lowest rung of the Covenant hierarchy, the Grunts seem happy with their lot. Obedient, subservient and perfectly suited to menial and dangerous tasks, the Grunts make perfect conscripts to the Covenant cause. Although they lack physical prowess, their pack mentality makes these creatures formidable in numbers. However, should their pack leader (Grunt or otherwise) be killed or injured, discipline and courage can often fail.
What they lack in ability and intelligence, they more than make up for in numbers and sheer toughness. Grunts breed prodigiously, and are among the most populous Covenant species. They hail from a cold planet, with a Methane atmosphere, hence the rebreathers attached to their faces.

Once I have finished it I shall post what I believe is the Covenant Hierarchy, from the lowly Grunt, to the High and Noble Prophets.

Kiro
14-07-2005, 00:43
I think you missed out two things:

1. I don't know about saying the Grunts are entirely "satisfied" with their position in the Covenenant, they had a rebellion after all.

2. The Hunters were "tamed" by the Elites, and they are actually a group of tiny creatures inside the massive armor.

Dunno if you knew any of that, but I just thought to point it out for you. Good going, otherwise :)

Samoth
14-07-2005, 13:18
Holy smokes, that's detailed!

Yeah, I was about to add that. The lt ed halo dvd, making of, shows you an extended cut scene from "the arbiter" (or maybe one of those first cutscene levels, I dont remember) in which the prophets talk of how the arbiter is a hero of the covenant, and he helped put down the grunt rebellion, and tame the hunters.

On hunters, I think that's a bit of a plot hole. If they are small creatures, then they woudln't be hard to tame, because their armour/weapons would have been supplied by the covenant - hunters not being so intelligent. But if they already had their weapons and armour, where did they get them? The fuel rod gun is disticntly covenant, not hunter, so imo, maybe the hunters arent such small creatures. That would explain why they needed to be tamed and then how they got their armour and guns.

Last nit pick - we do know the covenant names. Humans call them "jackals", but their actual names are listed in the manual, and are mostly unpronouncable gibberish. I'd say they've been translated from covenant discussion - cortana, for example, can "speak" covenant, so other "dumb" AI's probably can too.

Aun'aart'al
14-07-2005, 20:34
I think you missed out two things:

1. I don't know about saying the Grunts are entirely "satisfied" with their position in the Covenenant, they had a rebellion after all.

2. The Hunters were "tamed" by the Elites, and they are actually a group of tiny creatures inside the massive armor.

Dunno if you knew any of that, but I just thought to point it out for you. Good going, otherwise :)

oh for sure about the Grunts not being happy being a footstone to the Covenant's feet! But I must also question whether the Hunters are small creatures in the large, bulky armour? perhaps a creature as large as an ape?

Kiro
14-07-2005, 21:50
oh for sure about the Grunts not being happy being a footstone to the Covenant's feet! But I must also question whether the Hunters are small creatures in the large, bulky armour? perhaps a creature as large as an ape?

I don't have it on me to give you a verbatim account, but I believe the Halo 2 instruction booklet describes hunters as something along the lines of a lot of tiny creatures within the armor.

Aun'aart'al
14-07-2005, 23:01
Lekgolo (Hunter)

The Lekgolo pairs are simply too large to be deployed in many circumstances on this cramped sewer of a world, and so they will be given specialized missions. We will station them at defensive points as we gain territory, and bring them in for heavy destruction. Their fuel rod guns and sheer ability to inspire fear will be invaluable

still dont think that there are more then 1 entity inside that armour, Kiro ;)

Kiro
15-07-2005, 01:35
Yup :)

These massive creatures appear to be composed of multiple organisms that exist within the hunter armor, creating a bipedal hive creature

I guess you have the Covenant instruction book....

Aun'aart'al
15-07-2005, 05:21
I have the supposedly Limited Edition Halo 2 game, and thats what it said about the Hunters. Where did you get your timbit of information?

(yes I said timbit, Im just that hungry)

Samoth
15-07-2005, 15:12
Then where did the armour come from? If the hunters had to be "tamed", how did they make armour?

warlordgrubnatz
15-07-2005, 16:17
prehaps its bio-mechanic

Kiro
15-07-2005, 17:09
Where did you get your timbit of information?

I got it from the "generic" Halo 2 instruction book, Master Chief flavour.

Wraith
15-07-2005, 18:14
This is from one of my previous thread sback on Portent...

Hope this helps you out -- I spent a good while putting this together.

The Arbiter
Ornate, dull dark-grey overlapping plated armour with a distinctive 'beak' like front to the helmet (limited active-camo due to age of armour's design).

Elite Ruling Body
Elite Council Members 'Praetors' - Elites with distinctive helmet crests (like an 'Alien Queen's' crest) and bright silver/white coloured armour (like 'Ultra Elite's armour').

Honour Guard
- 'Bright silver/white' (same as 'Ultra' Elite's armour) Honour Guard (ornate glowing orange and yellow armour plates on their helms and arms etc).
- 'Dark red' Honour Guard (ornate glowing orange and yellow armour plates on their helms and arms etc).

Military
Gold 'Zealot' Elites - Field and Fleet Commanders (AKA 'Zealots').
Silver 'Ultra' Elites - Bright silver almost white armour elites who can lead special operations teams, some are equipped with active-camo.
Bronze 'Stealth' Elites - Dark bronze (metalic brown) armoured Elites who seem to always enter combat with active-camo enganged.
Purple 'Special Ops' Elites - Almost black armour which is tinged a very dark purple/violet, some are equipped with active-camo.
Red Elites - Major, veteran Elites who are often pilots.
Blue Elites - Minor, lowest rank, some are equipped with jet packs (AKA 'Rangers') while a rare few are equipped with active-camo.

Rebel Forces
Rebel Leader - Jet pack, dark brass coloured armour, goggles and breathing apparatus.
Rebel Elites - Dark brass coloured armour, goggles and breathing apparatus.

Notes -

Elite Armour Colours
- The exact colour of Elite armour are very hard to pin down as they seem to have a sheen about them which is much like ‘pearlescent’ paint. In the different lighting present through out the game the armour of an individual Elite can look quite different and even when studied up close with the aid of the 'flashlight' the bright direct light can give the wrong impression. If one was to use a flashlight on an Ultra Elite for example his silver armour would appear a glossy bright white which contributes to why 'Ultra' Elites are described as white, grey, and silver by different people.
- All Elites under the 'military' section have a secondary colour to their armour which tends to be a dull hue of the primary colour e.g. Gold Elites' secondary colour seems to be a rich sandy brown, while Blue Elites seem to have a dark 'bluey-purple' as their secondary colour.

Praetor Council Members
- Appear in very first cut scene at start of game on one side of prophets' council.
- On the last level two are held in the energy barrier cells by the Brutes and fight with you once released.
- Screen Shots: http://www.freewebs.com/specialopsgrunt/halo2screenshots.htm

Silver 'Ultra' Elites
- One is aboard the scarab and Cortana mentions him by rank - "Watch out chief, that Elite's an Ultra, and those pilots are no pushovers either...".
- 'Ultra' Elites unlike other ranks will drop their ranged weapon and ignite their secondary energy swords and charge with a bellow of fury if an enemy gets too close to them (roughly melee range).

'Bright Silver/White' Honour Guard
- On the level 'Gravemind' where you rescue marines from the prisons of High Charity when you return back up the grav lift with your new marine allies as soon as you come to the top there's a silver/white elite's corpse with an energy sword which has the characteristic bright orange armour plates of honour guard. The Elite's corpse is also unusual because the Elite is missing his helmet. Another identical Elite's corpse is present in the same room just along the gang way next to two plasma grenades.

Gold 'Zealot' Elites
- According to the Strategy Guide an Elites armor color, and rank is dependant on the number of enemies they've killed in battle. Zealots have killed numerous foes. Also it's mentioned in the game itself near the beginning of "Uprising" after you've killed all the brutes an Elite will come out of the door he's says a piece about how the "Brutes have spilled our brothers blood, and for that they must die". After that a series of drop pods crash down, after they burst open and the Elites including one Zealot emerge, the Elite next to you says..."Zealot, so much for stealthy advance" to which the Zealot replies "Bah! Over so soon".
- Gold 'Zealot' Elites seem to always weild energy swords in combat (in Halo 2).

Bronze 'Stealth' Elites
- These dark bronze (metalic brown) armoured Elite's are first encountered on the level Outskirts in the alleyways after the clearing where the drop ship sets down. Two Elites with active-camo come charging at you and once defeated their now visible corpses reveal their 'dark bronze' / 'metalic brown' armour.
- Bronze 'Stealth' Elites can be equiped with energy swords.

Elite Energy Shields
- All covenant alligned Elites energy shields give off a blue-white light when attacked but the rebel Elites's shields differ in colour giving off violet-white light instead.

Aun'aart'al
15-07-2005, 19:33
this sounds a lot like the information from a book.. "Art of Halo" :p haha but Very nicely done, great information, this will help a lot :D

Arnizipal
17-07-2005, 21:19
On hunters, I think that's a bit of a plot hole. If they are small creatures, then they woudln't be hard to tame, because their armour/weapons would have been supplied by the covenant - hunters not being so intelligent.
A horde of Hunters using purely hand to hand weapons would still be hard to tame, even with covenant guns (unless they knew about the weak spot on their back of course ;) ).

Aun'aart'al
18-07-2005, 07:10
that "weak spot on the back" is just a spot not covered by their armour.. and I still argue that the Hunters are Not multiple orgamisms or creatures in each suit of armour, it just cant be! the head, hell all the joints!

Samoth
18-07-2005, 09:59
I would consider it common sense that after shot after shot bounces off of armour, they would look for weak spots - making hunters incredibly vulnerable to flanking. And btw, a single sniper round to the orange will kill a hunter even on legendary, so if you are a decent no-scoper, of you get teh jump from behind/when standing tall, you can kill them like halo 1.

Mr.terminatorbob
18-07-2005, 13:22
Here are the covenant names for grunts,Elites,Drones,Brutes,Hunters and Jacakal.

Grunt Unggoy
Jackals Kig-Yar
Elites Sangheili
Drones Yanme'e
Hunter Lekgolo
Brutes Jiralhane :wtf:

Kiro
18-07-2005, 13:29
and I still argue that the Hunters are Not multiple orgamisms or creatures in each suit of armour, it just cant be! the head, hell all the joints!

Erm, how can you say this when it's clearly stated in the instruction book?! :eyebrows:

Marty D
18-07-2005, 13:42
Lekgolo (Hunter)

The Lekgolo pairs are simply too large to be deployed in many circumstances on this cramped sewer of a world, and so they will be given specialized missions. We will station them at defensive points as we gain territory, and bring them in for heavy destruction. Their fuel rod guns and sheer ability to inspire fear will be invaluable

hunters are always deployed in pairs - for some reason

this does NOT imply single hunters are some kind of 'pair' mated together or something along those lines into a single organism

Kiro
18-07-2005, 13:44
Exactly! They're deployed in pairs, so it doesn't give any indication either way!

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 00:14
"deployed in pairs,"ever notice that you always face 2 at a time? :p :rolleyes:

and I got the quote from the Limited Edition Halo 2 instruction manual with the description on the Hunters, exactly what book are you getting your description from? mind typing the entire books name? perhaps a picture if you can find one?

Kiro
19-07-2005, 00:30
"deployed in pairs,"ever notice that you always face 2 at a time? :p :rolleyes:

Err, I don't see your point :confused:

what book are you getting your description from? mind typing the entire books name? perhaps a picture if you can find one?

I've told you already, the generic Halo 2 instruction booklet, Master Chief flavour. It's right there in the text!

Arnizipal
19-07-2005, 00:40
I've told you already, the generic Halo 2 instruction booklet, Master Chief flavour. It's right there in the text! I can second the statements that it's in there. You'll just have to track someone down who ones the 'regular' Halo 2 instead of the limited edition one :D

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 03:02
Err, I don't see your point :confused:

seriously, every time you face Hunters, there is always 2, and only 2. "Deployed in pairs," and the word "pair" means 2. I cant explain it any simpler than that

Kiro
19-07-2005, 03:10
seriously, every time you face Hunters, there is always 2, and only 2. "Deployed in pairs," and the word "pair" means 2. I cant explain it any simpler than that

I meant what does it have to do with Hunters not being a collection of organisms?

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 06:07
lol are you just ignoring everything I say? Hunters are deployed in 2's in a single given area.

the coordination needed for all the limbs for the Hunter to function in a battlefield role is just too.. difficult. A Hunter cannot, simply can_not be more than a single entity in the armour. For instance, just look at the creatures' head and the shape of the body when it falls. If you shoot the vulnerable piece of skin at the back, how would that kill them all? It's just, afterall, a single area, so how would it kill the rest of the beings in the armour?

Wraith
19-07-2005, 10:33
From the 'Master Chief' version Halo 2 manual --

Hunters are incredibly dangerous foes, deployed more like equipment than soldiers. They are brought in for demolitions or heavy defence, and always work in pairs. The massive creatures appear to be composed of multiple organisms that exist within the Hunter armour, creating a bipedal hive creature. Near-impenetrable armor and a devastating hand-held fuel rod weapon make Hunter pairs very problematic.

Arnizipal
19-07-2005, 12:46
It's just, afterall, a single area, so how would it kill the rest of the beings in the armour?
Maybe the 'brain-being' is located in the chest cavity near the back and the other creatures won't function without orders?
Maybe when you shoot the central creature, it shrivels up and dies, causing the creatures in top half of the armour to lose their footing (so to speak) and trow off the whole symbiotic balance of the Hunter.

Seriously, there are a lot of possible explanations you can come up with. After all, it's sci-fi. Anything is possible. :)

Kiro
19-07-2005, 13:37
lol are you just ignoring everything I say? Hunters are deployed in 2's in a single given area.

Yes, I've been paying attention to what you've been saying. I just don't see how being deployed in pairs has anything to do with not being multiple organisms. Besides, others have already posted the same information, so the discussion is kind of over; no matter how unlikely it might seem, the Hunters are hive beings composed of multiple organisms - as it says in the instruction booklet...

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
19-07-2005, 15:08
the coordination needed for all the limbs for the Hunter to function in a battlefield role is just too.. difficult. A Hunter cannot, simply can_not be more than a single entity in the armour. For instance, just look at the creatures' head and the shape of the body when it falls. If you shoot the vulnerable piece of skin at the back, how would that kill them all? It's just, afterall, a single area, so how would it kill the rest of the beings in the armour?
hmm, perhaops its just..... a video game. and they just didnt think about it.

Wraith
19-07-2005, 15:17
Look guys it's relatively simple -- they are composed of tiny orange worms, these worms have the ability to generate a hive mind; the hive mind, or rather the 'emergent intelligence' makes the descisions.

Samoth
19-07-2005, 15:52
And when you kill "enough" of them off, they are no longer capable of function, regardless of which ones you kill, or whether or not they each have individual functions, or not together.

For all we know, these "creatures", could be intelligent microbes.

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 21:24
hmm, perhaops its just..... a video game. and they just didnt think about it.

think GW is giving them suggestions? :rolleyes: lol

anywho though, if it says in the MC manual, then they have 2 books that contradict information based on the same Covenant unit. But I will agree, I can not see this discussion getting anywhere other than just arguing back and forth whether a Hunter is a single being or multiple. Next discussion, then?

Grunts; Bad aiming? Or bad eyesight?

Kiro
19-07-2005, 21:45
anywho though, if it says in the MC manual, then they have 2 books that contradict information based on the same Covenant unit. But I will agree, I can not see this discussion getting anywhere other than just arguing back and forth whether a Hunter is a single being or multiple. Next discussion, then?

Aun, I don't want to bicker, but I really am wondering: what makes you think the two books contradict each other? :confused:

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 21:49
because the information below;

Hunters are incredibly dangerous foes, deployed more like equipment than soldiers. They are brought in for demolitions or heavy defence, and always work in pairs. The massive creatures appear to be composed of multiple organisms that exist within the Hunter armour, creating a bipedal hive creature. Near-impenetrable armor and a devastating hand-held fuel rod weapon make Hunter pairs very problematic.

Lekgolo (Hunter)

The Lekgolo pairs are simply too large to be deployed in many circumstances on this cramped sewer of a world, and so they will be given specialized missions. We will station them at defensive points as we gain territory, and bring them in for heavy destruction. Their fuel rod guns and sheer ability to inspire fear will be invaluable.

is from the Halo 2 manuals, or instruction manuals, but yet they dont confirm if the Hunter is a multiorgamism, or simply one helluva large creature

Kiro
19-07-2005, 21:50
Just to split hairs...if it doesn't necessarily confirm either way, then why do you believe they contradict each other?

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 21:56
lol you just want to keep this going, dont you ;)

for me, if it doesnt say something on 1 part, but it does on another (like the difference in manuals for instance), then it gives the impression of a contradiction

can we move on now? :rolleyes:

Kiro
19-07-2005, 21:59
Temper, temper :rolleyes:
I just wanted to know why you thought they were contradicting each other. I believed maybe I missed something you knew. Now that you've told me your opinion on the subject, feel free to move on :)

Aun'aart'al
19-07-2005, 23:10
lol I do not have a temper ;) *slaps Kiro's shoulder*

Grunts; Bad aim? Or bad eyesight?

Samoth
20-07-2005, 13:02
Crappy soldiers on a whole imo, but you do need to realize that in the "real" halo universe, the grunt's would "hit" more often, run away in terror more often, and the mc would be much tougher too.

But still, simply undisciplined, poorly "trained" troops, if they are even trained at all.

Aun'aart'al
20-07-2005, 21:18
I mean no offense by this comment, but do you suppose it could be like the Chinese and/or Russian armies? merely relying on superior numbers, and attempt to outnumber their enemies 2-to-1, if not more?

C. Langana
21-07-2005, 22:55
Just FYI but there are some Halo novels which add a little fluff to the covenant.
If we're counting these there are some little tidbits that spring to mind:
- Jackals are necrophages, they eat the dead (and come to think of it their prisoners) . definitely avian.
-Grunts: apparently they originate from an ice world of some sort and those odd looking bodysuits they wear are insulated environment get ups.
-Hunters: are one big nasty, that come in pairs, the master chief definitely takes a head.
-Engineers: interesting critters, floating jellyfish things, Cortana manages to communicate with them in erm, Covenantish? Passive, and have a fix anything type of attitude. (Imagine the Browns in 'The Mote in Gods Eye' not far off).
- Elites: spot on with the rankings, scalps and what have you. In the books they also get Jet packs for some operations.
-Brutes: Rock. Not much said but they act as some sort of praetorian guard to the Prophets.

I dont know if that helps but just thought you lot might be interested.

Aun'aart'al
21-07-2005, 23:13
Just FYI but there are some Halo novels which add a little fluff to the covenant.
If we're counting these there are some little tidbits that spring to mind:
- Jackals are necrophages, they eat the dead (and come to think of it their prisoners) . definitely avian.
-Grunts: apparently they originate from an ice world of some sort and those odd looking bodysuits they wear are insulated environment get ups.
-Hunters: are one big nasty, that come in pairs, the master chief definitely takes a head.
-Engineers: interesting critters, floating jellyfish things, Cortana manages to communicate with them in erm, Covenantish? Passive, and have a fix anything type of attitude. (Imagine the Browns in 'The Mote in Gods Eye' not far off).
- Elites: spot on with the rankings, scalps and what have you. In the books they also get Jet packs for some operations.
-Brutes: Rock. Not much said but they act as some sort of praetorian guard to the Prophets.

I dont know if that helps but just thought you lot might be interested.

I've read and own all three Halo novels. The homeworld to the Grunts is not really an ice world, because it makes mention that a grunt wishes to go back to his swamp world.

I dont know if the Jackals do eat the dead or their prisoners, but seeing that one particular cutscene in Halo 2 at the beginning, one has to think

The Brutes werent really the guards to the Prophets in the book, but rather more of a Guard of a sort of Temple on a space station that has since been blown to pieces, along with what, 2500 other ships headed to Earth?

everything else though looks about accurate

C. Langana
21-07-2005, 23:23
I seem to remember there being definite reference to an ice world - was in the first Nylund book. Perhaps its an inconsistency or (Heaven forbid) I'm wrong.

About the brutes, without going to the effort of finding the book (much harder than you'd think in my room) I think you and I are both half right, in that temples are where Prophets live, Brutes guard temples, because at the end of Book 3 a prophet has a little chat with a brute about whats to be done with the surviving commander of the failed invasion (something painful no doubt).

Edit: About the grunts definitley cannonfodder.

Aun'aart'al
21-07-2005, 23:28
well I remember the Spartans attacking the space station and finding the Temple. This is where the Spartan "Grace" was killed, and her armour (and body) exploded because John (Master Chief) overloaded her energy pack on her back, killing more of the Covenant while they made their escape.

As to the commanders punishment..?

"The council deemed that you be hung by your entrails and your body paraded through the city, but ultimately your terms of execution are up to me.."

get the idea? ;) haha

C. Langana
22-07-2005, 00:31
Thats one to remember for when I become an evil dictator, shame they won't let me do it on Nation states.

Aun'aart'al
22-07-2005, 00:36
I think that if you did that your own people would revolt against you, including your military. Moving back to the discussion though ;)

C. Langana
22-07-2005, 01:11
I suppose we had better get back on topic, hmm, erm, covenant, obviously caste based, patriarchal, following great plan.
I am curious as to how the whole covenant started was it a case of
A: Race X batters some other races and makes them subservient
B:Race X and their mates all form a club?
If its B I find it a little odd that Humanity weren't offered entrance to the club.
Opinions?

Aun'aart'al
22-07-2005, 01:28
Covenant society is a caste system composed of many races, some of which were forcibly incorporated. The races are identified by their common UNSC designation.

Prophets

Prophets are the highest-ranking Covenant, fulfilling the role of religious and political leader. The three highest-ranking Prophets are the Prophets of Truth, Mercy, and Regret, and they travel in floating thrones equipped with an impenetrable shield and a powerful particle beam gun. There are also many "lower" Prophets, with titles such as "The Prophet of Supposition". The Prophets lead the Loyalist forces in the civil war, and have only the Brutes, Drones and Jackals to protect them. They wear gold and red robes, a golden crown with gems and a holographic image of Halo on the front of their crown. The prophets have grey skin and are very weak. They maintain power through their religion because they are very wise and preach about the Forerunners, their gods. At the start of Halo 2 there are 3 supreme prophets, but during the game, the master Chief assassinates the Prophet of Regret (the youngest) and the Prophet of Mercy (eldest) is infected and killed by the Flood, leaving only one supreme prophet, the Prophet of Truth.

Brutes

Brutes, called Jiralhanae by the Covenant, have a hairy gorilla-like and rhinoceros-like appearance and possess immense strength. They are organized tribally and led by their chieftain, Tartarus, who is killed at the end of Halo 2.

They have a long-standing rivalry with the Elites. Elites and Brutes both believe themselves to be the better race. While Brutes do have the superior strength and speed, Elites hold superior intelligence and loyalty. However, when all but one brute in a unit is killed, the Brute will drop his weapon and charge at the player like a bull. While "berserking" a brute becomes stronger and faster. Three or four melee hits from a "berserking" Brute is enough to kill the player.

Both of them believe they are worthy enough to take their place at the side of the Prophets.

In events that occur during Halo 2, the Brutes replace the Elites as personal bodyguards of the Prophets and commanders of the Covenant military, largely because of their blind faith in the "Great Journey." They remain loyal to the Prophets.

Hunters

Hunters, called Lekgolo in the Covenant language, are actually a colonial organism, made up of thousands of worm-like creatures and possibly other organisms. The collective units are known to operate in pairs, calling each other "bond brothers".

When encountered in combat they can be as difficult as walking tanks, with their massive size (8' in their normal contracted stance and 12' full sized), near impenetrable armor, and arm-mounted fuel-rod cannons. They are easily the toughest infantry unit in the Covenant military, but a lucky shot targetting the fleshy orange skin between the armour plating can sometimes succeed in bringing the Hunter down in a single shot.

The Hunters are a fairly recent addition to the Covenant after being subdued by an Elite-led military force. As a result, Hunters are deeply respectful of the Elites and choose to side with the Elite Separatists.

Hunters also appear in a previous Bungie series, Marathon. They have a similar appearance and also shoot green plasma, as well as being tall and having large metal shields.

Elite

Elites, called Sangheili in the Covenant language, are the commanders of the Covenant military, the longtime guards of the Prophets, and the race from which Arbiters are traditionally selected. They were the first of the races to join the Prophets in the Covenant, although before that, the two species had fought a devastating war with one another. They stand 8' tall and wear armor that uses a shielding system similar to the Master Chief's MJOLNIR armor. They are physically strong and capable of coordinating their units with brilliant battle tactics. They lead the separatist faction of the Civil War and despise their Brute counterparts.

Elite ranks are denoted by the color of their armor, which ranges from gold, white, black (or grey in Halo 1), red, and then blue at the lowest. Golden Elites are the Generals or Fleet Commanders, and are considered the best warriors. "Ultra" elites, or those with abnormally strong armor, wear white. Special Ops Elites wear black. Some wear armor that makes them permanently invisible. Red ones are "captains" or low-ranking officers. Blues are the basic Grunt leaders but can be promoted to a higher blue called Ranger which allows them to use a jet pack. The Prophets' guards wear ornate red and gold armor. Honor guard commanders wear the same but with mostly white armor as opposed to red. Councillors wear light blue with a tall crested helmet. Elites are typically promoted on the number of enemy kills they have achieved, meaning that a single gold Elite may have slaughtered thousands before attaining that rank.

Jackals

Jackals, called Kig-yar in the Covenant language, have superior senses and often serve as scouts and snipers. They are 5'8" tall and typically carry a wrist-mounted energy shield that deflects bullets but is weak against plasma and physical attacks. They sometimes abandon the shields in favor of carrying the Particle Beam Rifle in their capacity as snipers. When face to face with a stronger opponent, they cower away like a Grunt. Their appearance is thin and bird-like, and their bodies are quite frail. They chose to side with the Prophets and Brutes in the civil war.

Engineers

Engineers are the scientific engineering backbone of the Covenant and its economy. They float via air sacs and their many tentacles are able to split into many fine cillia, with which they are able to manipulate machinery. Engineers are capable of quickly learning the functionality of new technology. They are called Huragok or Hunagok in the Covenant language, and sometimes referred to as savants by the Humans.

Their motivations are unknown, but they appear to draw no distinction between friend and foe, preferring to spend their time inspecting or repairing technology. In one encounter, an Engineer repaired the Master Chief's damaged shield generator and then floated away.

Engineers do not appear in the either Halo game (though their character models are coded into Halo 1) and are mentioned only in Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: First Strike.

It is unknown which side, if any, the Engineers have taken in the civil war. It is possible they have not even noticed, as they rarely even interact with the other Covenant castes.

Grunts

Grunts, known as Unggoy in the Covenant language, are the workhorses of the Covenant. They serve as common laborers across Covenant controlled space. Despite their obvious cowardice and stupidity, they are extremely large in numbers and breed rapidly, and - when cornered - can attack with suicidal desperation.

Their frozen homeworld's atmosphere contains a high level of methane, which forces them to rely on a large processor on their back to correct the gas balance and pump it to an airmask. The Grunts are approximately 4' 9" tall, which does not give them any confidence when facing humans, though they lose most of their fear when locked into a plasma turret or a vehicle. In spite of their low rank on the caste, some of the Grunts have been trained with the bulky fuel rod guns and have been seen wearing black reinforced armor, implying that they are Special Ops. This does not hold with classic Covenant operation, but it seems to be the case. Because of their aforementioned tendency towards panic, disarray, and dying, the Grunts are usually herded as cannon fodder and directed by one or more of the higher caste.

When the Covenant civil war began, the Grunts chose to join with the Elite-led Separatist forces. Grunts look to the Elites for direction and guidance in a relationship that can be characterized as little brother-big brother.

Drones

Drones are human-sized, insect-like beings with wings that enable them to fly. They are called Yanme'e in the Covenant language. They are also believed to aid in starship maintenance. They are often called "Buggers" by the Humans.

Drones attack in groups often of six or more, and use their exceptional mobility to confuse enemies. They wield Covenant Plasma Pistols or Needlers and fire with exceptional accuracy.

During the Covenent civil war, the Drones remained loyal to the Prophets.

Drinol

Drinol, known as the Sharquoi in the Covenant language, are huge beasts that are kept contained and segregated from other forces. When enraged they have phenomenal strength and can be used in battle to smash enemy vehicles. UNSC forces have never encountered the Drinol, and only have second-hand knowledge of it through information gleamed from Covenant prisoners and datacores.

The Drinol are a nod to the similar-looking "Drinniol" of a previous Bungie series, Marathon, in which they are actual enemies that you have to defeat. The Drinol did not make it into Halo 2, and it is not known if they will be featured in future products.

(Note: The name Sharquoi is taken from part of the Conversations from the Universe booklet included with the Halo 2 Limited Edition package. Whether or not this name actually applies to the Drinol or another creature/weapon is not truly known.)

I will try to find the Writ of Union and post it

Samoth
22-07-2005, 04:17
Very nice. Very detailed, very nice.

Did btoh sides in the civil war simply take the engineers they had, seeing as they seem to have no sense of loyalty, and will simply fix things? Or did they choose a side, as a race?

Aun'aart'al
22-07-2005, 04:37
you know I cant find a single trace of which side they chose! I think they went neutral.. not sure really

Samoth
22-07-2005, 04:51
They probably just followed who ever was closest, and the species was effectively split in half. That'd be my guess, they seem to have great mechanical engineering skills, but dont seem to be "intelligent".

Aun'aart'al
22-07-2005, 05:52
lol taking the role of the wheelbarrel.. going wherever its pushed :D

Aun'aart'al
25-07-2005, 22:33
anyone else notice that the PoR only has/had 9-15 Honor Guard protecting him? Might suggest that hes not as important a Prophet as he believes himself to be IMHO

Jal'knock
26-07-2005, 01:13
Although I'm late to this an may be wrong, I'd just like to point something out....

The massive creatures appear to be composed of multiple organisms that exist within the Hunter armour, creating a bipedal hive creature.

Maybe the hunter itself is one big beast with multiple minor organisms aiding in in combat by secreting drugs or stimms or maybe they are symbiotes to a larger creature that exist within the armour shell. If thats the case maybe they act to make their armour somewhat akin to SM armour and their Black Carpace? Just my 2 cents.....

Aun'aart'al
26-07-2005, 03:16
hmm an interesting view I must say. Perhaps giving the Hunter species the strength to use the armour, much like a Goa'uld symbiote gives its host "super" strength

Cactus Twist
12-07-2006, 05:41
i'm up for the worm theory on hunters, it does say it in the manual, however that doesnt explain how you can just shoot them once to kill them. My theory is that the forerunners created the hunters to combat the flood, think about it if a hunter is all worms, how is an infection flood goining to burrow into it's non-existant cenral nervous system. You never see a flood hunter. The forerunners would have given hunters armor to hold them together so explains existance pre-covenant. The one shot kills can be explained by if you couldn't just kill off a few worms to kill the whole thing, they would have been too powerful and overthrown the forerunners. Any loss of logic there?

Arnizipal
12-07-2006, 17:43
Dude, you don't dig up thread as old as this!
Thread Necomancy is frowned upon here...

Captain Brown
12-07-2006, 18:23
Old Thread...closed to prevent more spam.

User has been reminded of Guideline 26 in the FAQ and is a brand new user to WarSeer.