PDA

View Full Version : A useful addition for Battlefield 2?

nick
14-07-2005, 00:41
Hi Guys,

I saw this Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset (http://www.speed-link.de/prod.php?lang=en&sys_id=8&pb_id=8&prod_num=SL-8790) today and I was wondering what people thought of it? The reviews I've seen look interesting but it seems a little cheap for what it claims to do.

Anyone tried these? Or do you have better headset suggestions...

Nick

Chuffy
14-07-2005, 10:09
If it's got good reviews which seem to match what your going for then it's safe to say it's probably pretty good. Or at least adequate.

I'm getting a new PC soon and BF2 and I've also been searching for headsets, problem is I don't have much experience in the buying of headsets. I've seen a few ones which look bad-ayas, but they're VERY expensive.

fredmundo
19-07-2005, 16:41
I don't have much experience in the buying of headsets. I've seen a few ones which look bad-ayas, but they're VERY expensive.

Horrible isn't it..but you do generally get what you pay for..if you can afford a great brand then go for sennheisser (sp?) as they are a good brand for headphones. Althoguh you can quite happily play with somthing thats cost you 20 though.... it just won't sound so good, which is a bit lame if you have got a lovely audigy or somthing.

Nick, I recently went casing surround Headsets and Zalman do one too, the only problem I found (with both) is that they will use your 3 headphone jack sockets in your sound card. As i'm not rich enough to have my 5.1 running to an amp digitally then I'd have to repeatedly disconnnect and reconnect my speakers/ headphones depending on what I'm wanting to do, unless I buy 3.5mm minijack splitters or a second sound card, which is all a bit of a faff.. I think they do do them now via USB, but (not knowing properly hw they work) I can't see how a nice sound card would benefit you if your running you sound via USB.
So I shelved the idea till I'm super rich...which will probably be never.

x-esiv-4c
19-07-2005, 16:44
well it certainly got some outstanding reviews! I'm probably going to get me a set.

nick
19-07-2005, 17:04
Nick, I recently went casing surround Headsets and Zalman do one too, the only problem I found (with both) is that they will use your 3 headphone jack sockets in your sound card. As i'm not rich enough to have my 5.1 running to an amp digitally then I'd have to repeatedly disconnnect and reconnect my speakers/ headphones depending on what I'm wanting to do, unless I buy 3.5mm minijack splitters or a second sound card, which is all a bit of a faff.. I think they do do them now via USB, but (not knowing properly hw they work) I can't see how a nice sound card would benefit you if your running you sound via USB.
The one I'm looking at actually uses a custom jack to connect to the amp and then normal 3.5mm jacks to the soundcard so its not so much an issue. They do have a usb version but its more money and they reviews say using a good soundcard gives better results (usb causes cpu load :()

Edit: they also include a jack so you can connect the headphones directly to a stereo source if required so you don't loose anything in terms of compatibility.

Nick

fredmundo
19-07-2005, 18:24
Nick, do you fancy posting a link as it seems that they may have confronted my problem (which is ultimatley me being lazy!). I have the creative inspire 6.1 system (Which isn't bad for a cheapo speaker set I think.)and the way I saw it I thought I'd hve to be disconnecting it from my sound card to wire up headphones, I don't want ot split the signal as I don't want too much loss on either cable.

nick
19-07-2005, 18:36
Nick, do you fancy posting a link as it seems that they may have confronted my problem (which is ultimatley me being lazy!). I have the creative inspire 6.1 system (Which isn't bad for a cheapo speaker set I think.)and the way I saw it I thought I'd hve to be disconnecting it from my sound card to wire up headphones, I don't want ot split the signal as I don't want too much loss on either cable.
Theres a good review here http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050714/index.html I believe you actually can connect your normal speakers through the amp so you are able to run both off your soundcard.

Nick

fredmundo
19-07-2005, 23:16
Oh wow, I'd not seen those little amp units, thats really funky, just a bit far out of my price range for now... I'll get saving and hopefully when the price comes down we'll meet in the middle...lol
Thanks for the link though dude!

nick
20-07-2005, 07:08
Oh wow, I'd not seen those little amp units, thats really funky, just a bit far out of my price range for now... I'll get saving and hopefully when the price comes down we'll meet in the middle...lol
Thanks for the link though dude!
Thats the cheapest and best value you'll probably get... :) If your in the uk the price is actually a little lower than Toms quotes, mine was only 35.

Nick