PDA

View Full Version : [Tomb Kings] 1,000 starter army?

Makarion
10-01-2007, 18:17
It seems that my partner is getting interested in WHFB as well :). After reading some background material he chose Tomb Kings as his likely entrypoint. Being not very familiar with them (or undead in general) I would like a real quick overview from the illuminati here on how they play out, if possible?

Anyway, our current guess at a starter army (using Army Builder, we haven't had the chance yet to pick up the army book):

Tomb Prince w/ Enchanted Shield, Brooch of the Great Desert
19 Tomb Guard w/ musician, standard

Liche Priest w/ Dispel Scroll
19 skeletal warriors w/ light armour & shields, musician, standard

12 skeletal warriors w/ bows

3 Ushabti

That's exactly 1,000 points.

Note: my partner was particularly fond of the Ushabti idea, so those are in. The rest is up for discussion :).

Von Wibble
10-01-2007, 18:36
I have very little experience below 2500 with tomb kings, but I know enough to know they really struggle in small games.

In your army I think the tomb guard are too expensive. That unit is over 250pts.

I would go for 2 cheaper units instead. Tomb scorpions are always good (especially at 85pts), chariots are useful (3 with banner = 140), and you can't go wrong with more skeletons. Final option would be a skull chukka.

Ushabti are fairly slow so I'd go defensive. I would swap the tomb guard out, and get a unit of 19 skeleton bowmen, plus a skull chukka. You then have a strong shooting phase, and the ushabti plus tomb prince can ensure that you have counter attacking ability. If you are facing a shooty army like empire or dwarfs, a tomb scorpion would be better than a skull chukka as it can take out a cannon or 2.

Captain Lysander360
10-01-2007, 18:47
i think the tomb guard are too expensive and you should always try to outnumber your opponent because they can be really annoyin if you outnumber and win combat (i think) and you break em automaticlly so i would go for some more skele warriors.

jahorin
10-01-2007, 19:22
also i would try to squeeze the banner of undying legion. just the get some dispel dice out before your liche priest start to cast.

Aekold
11-01-2007, 00:33
Hmm Seems like a good "little" start army =)

Good luck

Makarion
11-01-2007, 07:07
No one commented to using two heroes, one a wizard and one a melee type. Does this mean that people agree that the Tomb Kings need both in equal measure? I was wavering between that and using two liche priests, to be honest. Any thoughts?

Atoom
11-01-2007, 11:14
No one commented to using two heroes, one a wizard and one a melee type. Does this mean that people agree that the Tomb Kings need both in equal measure? I was wavering between that and using two liche priests, to be honest. Any thoughts?

I played a game w. a 1500 point VC army where the fact that I owned the magic phases won me the game. Two priests with maxed levels will allow you to heal your troops, keeping them up to full combat strenght - your opponents will most likely max have one spellcaster, and a limited supply of dispell scrolls. This means that your tactic must be to win combat, and autobeak the opponent on the outnumbering rule, rather than relying on beating the living daylights out of the opponen using a hero that excells in combat.

I suggest that you focus on extra ranks on the two infantry blocks, in order to make sure that you outnumber the enemy. Also please remember that and enemy hero will kill the priest in 1st round of combat if you allow him to get into combat, so I suggest that the priests leave the units before close combat with enemy heroes starts. Remember to use the high movement of the ushabties to flank the opponent in order to make him loose his rank bonus, and don't be affrait to use the bowmen in HtH combat as reinforcements in battles where your infantry are outnubered / outflanked.

greendan
11-01-2007, 15:04
tomb kings always need to have at least one liche priest to be the hierophant and a prince or king to be a general (depending on point levels)

so you cant just use 2 priests

but how about this for a starter army...

HEROES:
PRINCE
+great weapon, hand weapon, light armour & enchanted shield
vambraces of the sun

LICHE PRIEST

CORE:
SKELETON WARRIORS (20)
+hand weapon, light armour & shield
musician & standard

SKELETON ARCHERS (20)
+bows

SPECIAL:
CHARIOTS (3)

USHABTI (3)

TOMB SCORPION

i think thats a point over a 1000 but im sure no one would care.
tomb kings are hard to use in smaller games, but that doesnt mean they cant win.
anyway when you do all the more satisfying. :chrome: