PDA

View Full Version : Liber Chaotica

sigur
14-07-2005, 00:10
Hi there!

Does anyone of you own the new hardback Liber Chaotica and can give me a short review on it? Is there also viable information about 40k-related stuff?

For .....some reason I happened to have bought that thing and want to know what's in it. And I don't wanna hear any comment on this. ;)

neXus6
14-07-2005, 01:02
:p

It is brilliant, it has pretty much everything you could ever want to know about chaos. It is writen from a primarily fantasy stand point but 40k is worked in in a very good way. I believe the current consensus is that the "5th book" on undivided really doesn't make it worth buying if someone already owns the 4 individual LCs. If you don't have all 4 of the individual ones then it is well worth the £30 price tag.

Content, everything from marauders to daemons stopping through cults champions 40k stuff and all the chaos stuff they could pack in. The ONLY bad thing is that sometimes there is some typically crap "red and brass!!" John Blance artwork but that can be ignored.

athamas
14-07-2005, 07:41
Yeah, its one of the best books i have ever got!

its excelent!

and well worth £30, [unless you own all 4 others] the artwork is generaly good, and there is lots of extra bits, that make it nice!

Inquis. Jaeger
14-07-2005, 10:13
Absolutely brilliant. There is SO MUCH information in it. A great resource and a great read.

Lord Setra
14-07-2005, 10:19
Well worth the £30. Not only do you get all four liber chaotica but you also get one on undivided which was never released before.

Overall you make about a £30 saving and the content of the book is also fantastic.

Definatley recommend getting it.

sigur
14-07-2005, 11:29
That was exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. :)
Oh, and I don't own any of the other Chaos books, so it looks like my unwilling investion was a good one.

athamas
14-07-2005, 12:18
A very good one, if you consider that they are £15 each, which is allilt steep, £30 for a full colour A4 book, thats... very thick... [not sure on page count!, looks to be 50% thicker than 40k rule book, so ~450 pages! it has 26, page groupings, rather than the 18 in the rule book {page gouping refers to the bunches of pages you can see if you look at the top of the book!}] Its excelent value!

tzeentchgiant
14-07-2005, 12:46
Is it limited edition?

I thought it wouldn't be, but the ad in WD made me think otherwise.

I really want a copy, ad if they're going to run out I will be purchasing this very soon.

TG

Brimstone
14-07-2005, 13:05
There are two versions regular and ebay.

You can see them both here. (http://www.blacklibrary.com/liberchaotica/)

They haven't reprinted some of the othe regular editions though so they are fairly limited as well.

tzeentchgiant
14-07-2005, 13:52
It looks to me like it is not limited edition, so I will stave off purchasing it for now.

There's always e-bay if worst comes to the worst.

TG

Lucifer216
14-07-2005, 15:07
I've bought it and the presentation is extremely good. However, I must point out that if you've been a 40K/Fantasy junkie for a long time, then there is a good chance that you won't read a lot that you haven't already heard of before. It reprints the Feynor the Tainted and Skryssar (?) stories from WD and a lot of the material could have been lifted from the Old Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned books. Also, the in character presentation means that a lot of dark hints are made only at things that we out of character know far more about.

I was hoping this collection would investigate Chaos in far greate depth than it actually does. However, each book does do very well at being a primer in the essence of each of the Chaos Gods.

There are some parts that are especially effective such as the Marquis's conversations and the Khornate apocalypta. The undivided part of the book is small and rather weak. The sudden change in the author is also unwelcome. Not enough ground is covered on the nature of Chaos in its pure undivided form, as opposed to an alliance of the great powers.

Just my two cents.

tzeentchgiant
14-07-2005, 18:02
Having just purchased the volume I must say, for GW it is a very good deal, I am very glad I didn't purchase more than just one of the other four volumes as others, most unfortunately, have.

I found that when I got into the store the staff were going on about the book as though it were the holy grail for Chaos.

I'm glad I bought it, the carnifex will have to wait.

TG

Shadowheart
14-07-2005, 21:54
You could look at the collected volume being a good deal compared to the seperate ones, but you could also reverse that and notice the books were overpriced to begin with. In either case, one is well advised to await the collected volumes of any Black Library series, especially since they like to throw in extra stuff.

Since I've only got the Slaanesh book I'm planning on picking up the collected LC next time I'm at the store. I found the Slaanesh book to be highly atmospheric, and contrary to Nexus I think Blanche's art is always one of the major attractions in anything GW. The old Ian Miller art is nice too, gives it a bit of that Realms of Chaos feel.

However, I must agree with Lucifer (welcome to Portent, by the way) that in terms of background it doesn't offer all that much (if the Slaanesh book is anything to go by). In GW tradition there is a lot of vague hints and suggestions, but they make a point of chickening out of giving any substantial information or descriptions. The character of the Marquis Dolmancé is a clear reference to De Sade (heck, it's the name of one of his own characters) but GW of course doesn't want to go even half as far as De Sade, who himself hinted and suggested a lot more than he actually wrote.

So if you want to get into the spirit of GW's Chaos, I'd say LC is probably ideal, I just wouldn't expect much actual information. The inner workings of GW's Chaos will probably never be revealed because I doubt it has any.

neXus6
14-07-2005, 22:29
Ah well that's fair enough each to his own in artwork terms I'm just really not a fan of Blanche. :)
All the other artwork is amazing though.
Also it's a pretty active and fun book, decifering that red joined up script, reading it at strange angles, the code, the mirror. It is great fun to read, like a crazy house in book form. :cool:

Bryndyr
15-07-2005, 07:12
Hmmm, seeing as you are all quoting £30, I guess you didn't check out Amazon...

£21 including delivery, mine arrived today in perfect condition. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

They're also advertising vol3 of the Horus Heresy, and appear to do Codexs as well

NetGuru
15-07-2005, 10:04
Hmmm, seeing as you are all quoting £30, I guess you didn't check out Amazon...

£21 including delivery, mine arrived today in perfect condition. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

They're also advertising vol3 of the Horus Heresy, and appear to do Codexs as well

I was about to mention this, as it seems Amazon are great when it comes to BL books (I bought Darkness Rising and Blood on the Reik for £10.50 each saving myself £9)

And yesterday I ordered LC from Amazon for a bargin £21, but i went for 'Super Saver Delivery' which roughly translates to 'We'll send the book sometime before the next ice age happens'

tzeentchgiant
15-07-2005, 10:47
Darn, I really should be looking to amazon for all my book buying needs.

I live to dissapoint.

TG

Eversor
15-07-2005, 11:17
:chrome: Amazon are cheap, but their delivery times leave a little to be desired. To say the least...

That said, I got my book, though it took a month or so ;)