PDA

View Full Version : Hive Fleet Scylla (Hive Tyrant)

Princess Faye
11-01-2007, 00:33
Ok, brief introduction, I've been into the hobby a year and a half now and my only love is for that of the hive mind!It all started with the latest carnifex model which I saw in the window of gw everytime I walked past it on the way to work.Within a few months I had my very own hive fleet (named scylla).However, I received the hive tyrant model on my birthday in october 2005 and STILL havent got round to painting him.The main reason being that I wanted him to be exactly right.Now I think I'm ready to undertake this vast task and I'd like the fellow members of warseer to overlook this project with me!

I have already got several models in this army painted, just not the big man (insect,dinosaur,alien...) himself.So i will be posting pictures of my colour scheme!So far I have only just made the base of this model which consists of a lot of slate,greenstuff,skulls and some very cute rippers from forgeworld!

Please feel free to comment or make suggestions as I am open to all ideas!Please be kind though as I am new to the site!

Thanks!:)
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/zoanthrope.jpg

Princess Faye
11-01-2007, 00:40
As I am new to the site, it means I am terrible at editing my posts!Here's a photo of what I've achieved so far.http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hivetyrantbase4.jpg

Arkzein
11-01-2007, 00:49
Bloody great on the top one for a year and a half, especially the carapace/bone. Does look like it could use a dull coat, but then that's not as definate with nids as some other races as a satin look can give them that "wet" appearance. Liking the base as well from what I can see, this coming from someone who attempts to ignore bases as much as possible, rather envious. ;)

Looking forward to seeing how the big guy turns out/progresses.

ReclecteR
11-01-2007, 00:50
Holy Mongrel!!

And you have only been in the hobby for a year and a half? That Zoanthrope is amazing! I really like the kind of burnt look of the carapace and the red layering is great. I think that you would be ready to paint the tyrant at the level you are at now. One thing I suggest though, is that if you want to really be proud of your "unique" Tyrant, then I would convert, even if only slightly. i made that mistake. Started painting it, changed schemes, and also didnt convert it. So now I have to strip the paint and take it apart.

So yeah, good job so far and keep it up!

Princess Faye
11-01-2007, 01:06
Hey thanks for the quick replies!I get a lot of comments about the carapace colour,it seems a bit of a love/hate thing, so it's cool to have some compliments.I did build my hive tyrant immediatly but decided that it was too boring, chopped it back up and started to convert up small parts like repositioning arms and the tail.As the server is being updated,I'm finding it difficult to add my pics all at once,hence loads of posts.But here is another shot of the base.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hivetyrantbase3.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hivetyrantbase.jpg

PS. I also get alot of comments about how shiny my nids are too.This is because I paint gloss varnish on them instead of using spray.The reason being that once the shine has worn off,it really protects the paint work.Also I had an accident with some spray varnish and my zoanthrope that I never want to relive!

ReclecteR
11-01-2007, 01:17
Can you get that varnish paint from GW or somewhere else? I am at a really frustrating point with my Nids at the moment. I have just changed colour schemes, done about 12 gaunts, then not sure whether I like the schame that much, especcially caus eit donst seem to be working! My highlighting needs improvement. Been at painting about 1 1/2 - 2 years now as well.
Bah!
Anyway, good to see someone doing well. :(

BTW, could we see some WOrks in Progress and your tyrant?

Princess Faye
11-01-2007, 01:26
I'm going to be using this thread to monitor the progress of my hive tyrant only.The pic of the zoanthrope is so you can get an idea of my colour scheme.I also have a carnifex,8x hormagaunts and a (scratch built)gargoyle painted.So far,I have only made the base for the hive tyrant.I have begun to convert up the arms and also I will be repostioning the legs so that it stands properly on the base.I will be making posts on this thread to keep everyone up to date as I make progress.Also the gloss paint I used came in the gw mega paint set.As far as I know they sell it in the store seperatly.

ReclecteR
11-01-2007, 01:35
Cool, thanks for that.

Will look forward to seeing your Tyrant's progress.

ExoCowboy
11-01-2007, 06:28
That zoanthrope looks amazing, I am waiting to see more stuff from you.

When I had been painting 1,5 years my painting did not look very nice.. you have lots of talent.

TheDrugLordX
11-01-2007, 07:33
I must say, for a year and a half you've done some wonderful painting! I used to go with a almost identical color sheme on my nids, but then I figured I wanted something more personal so I started a new color sheme.

Anyways, your green stuff skills have just inspired me how I should do my Tyrand Plants!:) Thanks alot!

keep up the good work will ya!

Princess Faye
11-01-2007, 21:01
Well, spent most of the day pinning my hive tyrants legs onto the body, nightmare!!However the nightmare was unmatched by the horror that was gluing the tiny little ripper legs to the body, curse you forgeworld!Anyway,more importantly,I have finished building the base but have only got as far as chaos black-ing it,so no pictures as yet cos I'm sure they'd look abit dull!

As for building the rest of the tyrant,I have decided to take a slightly different approach to how I normally paint.I shall be building and painting the whole model from the base up as I go along.Hopefully I shall get some more work done before the night is out and I should have some pictures to post.

Also,regarding my colour scheme, I'm often told that it's quite feminine!So it's nie to hear some positive comments!My main idea is that I want it to look ever so slightly cartoonish as opposed to the more 'realistic' colour schemes often produced.Mainly because as tyranids only exist in the 40k universe,who is to say what is 'realistic'!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

FearFrost
11-01-2007, 23:50
I like the zoanthroape, especially the big blend on the bone part. One thing to be careful of is visually overwhelming the other areas of the model, like the red. I would perhaps make the red a bit more punchy by possibly highlighting it lighter.

Nice!

Frost

Princess Faye
12-01-2007, 00:03
Just a quick post as I'm working on painting the base right now!I've noticed a lot of references in the posts about me using red.As I haven't used any red paint (the skin is liche purple,warlock purple.the carapace is scorched brown,bestial brown,snakebite leather,bleached bone, skull white) I assume my camera settings are a little off!I shall try to take a better picture of my paint scheme,so that everyone can get a clearer idea of how it looks!

Thanks for all the encouragement,it inspires me to get up off my lazy ass and paint!

FearFrost
12-01-2007, 00:05
Ah, yeah, it looks like maybe...red gore, or something. If you have photoshop just play with the color sliders until it matches the model a bit better.

Maybe thats why people said they had a feminine vibe, because they were purple...

Not that I can say anything about purple models (points at Eldar project log) ;)

ReclecteR
12-01-2007, 00:07
Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean to do some painting and finish off some stuff, its just getting around to it thats the anooying part. Also the fact that I dont want to do any more painting until I'm absolutely certain with the colour scheme I want.

Will look forward to seeing your purple nids. :D

Princess Faye
12-01-2007, 00:18
I do have photoshop so I shall correct my future pictures!My colour scheme took ages to come up with and was originally based on unit1 from neon genesis evangelion, which I think looks a lot like the hive tyrant.I then adapted it to fit in with the theme of the nids.

As for painting,I can go months without doing any,then paint solidly for weeks!I guess I'm an erratic painter!

Princess Faye
13-01-2007, 19:36
well,my latest update.I had proudly painted the base for my hive tyrant and had only the rippers to finish.however,there was an unexpected party at my flat later that night and my rippers were an unfortunate casualty.if you don't laugh,you cry, so rather than get angry about it,my boyfriend has promised to treat me to some new ones from forge world,yay.after relaxing down,it was then that I realised 'WHERE ARE MY TYRANTS LEGS!!!' answer-down the settee,luckily they survived, although his tail needs regluing.so, minor set back but it's only made me more determined to get my head down and continue painting!

Pics of my base will follow shortly!

Princess Faye
13-01-2007, 19:52
Here we go, pics of the base from three angles.Please note that I intend to add snow and the rippers at a later date so technically its not finished yet but I wanted to show it off anyway!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hivetyrantbasecolour.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hivetyrantbasecolour2.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hivetyrantbasecolour3.jpg

Princess Faye
13-01-2007, 19:53
also,a colour corrected pic of my zoanthrope so you can all see that he really is purple honest!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/zoanthrope.jpg

FearFrost
13-01-2007, 20:09
Looking good, although the color corrected pic looks exactly like the first one...

Sorry about the party foul, I hate when people come into my house and break things.

hiveminion
13-01-2007, 20:17
Wow, the base for the Tyrant is extremely well done! As is the paint job on the Zoant, by the way. The reversed effect of dark edges looks good.
Do you paint the Gaunts to the same standard?

Anyway looking forward to the Tyrant.

Princess Faye
13-01-2007, 20:30
Thanks for all the postive feedback. I do paint the gaunts in the same way, I shall post some pictures of my hormagaunts later tonight. I wanted the carapace on the zoanthrope to look a mixture of insect exoskeleton and also bone. :chrome:

Princess Faye
14-01-2007, 00:25
I've started work on the body of the hive tyrant while I wait for the legs and tail to dry over night.I've had to re-attach the tail then use green stuff to keep it in place.

The skin is now finished on the body so watch this space for some further pics of the carapace tomorrow.hopefully (to all you non believers out there!) the pics should be colour corrected to show that the skin really is purple!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/tyrantbody.jpg

azironlegion
14-01-2007, 09:00
i like the dark purple for the skin. and the carapace is really sweet. I cant wait to see more.

FearFrost
14-01-2007, 09:29
Yeah, the skin looks like the colors you described now. Nice work so far.

Princess Faye
15-01-2007, 14:28
well, work is progressing steadily but surely.iv begun painting the carapace and it looks really cool.taking it plate by plate so that i can get it perfect as opposed to batching the whole thing and rushing it.also decided i think im going to convert the lash whip.(my tyrants got the classic weapon configuration of lash whip,bonesword,venom cannon)i shall add some more pics later,but here's one for now!

ThatGuy
18-01-2007, 01:25
any more updates, i'm intrested in how the carapace turns out

Princess Faye
22-01-2007, 01:35
hey there! i am still working on this project but a combination of being ill and visiting my parents (which is virtually the same thing) has prevented me from making any progress this week,however expect to see a new post by tomorrow.thanks!

Princess Faye
25-01-2007, 01:46
well,after staring at my hive tyrants carapace for all of two seconds, I decided that I really wasn't happy with it and decided to start again. I was going to paint it plate by plate and was completed obsessed with getting it absolutely perfect which in turn obviously just stressed me out and I ended up rushing it! So after about a week to think about it, I just painted over the whole thing and started again. Here is the finished result (minus chimneys, which would've killed me if I'd started painting them).

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/carapace2.jpg

Princess Faye
25-01-2007, 01:48
Also,here are some pictures of my hormagaunts. I tend to paint the units I use on the tabletop before ones which I'm not so bothered about and these little guys have been known to take down many orks and imperial guard, much to the distress of my (former!) friends.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/hormagaunts.jpg

hiveminion
25-01-2007, 15:31
Good looking models you have there! Personally I lack the patience and mental powers to paint Gaunts to a high degree, so I think this is quite admirable.

Carapace looks good so far, too.

azironlegion
25-01-2007, 19:33
very nice bugs. Im looking forward to the tyrant. Any plans for a carnifex in the near future?

Rikka Rakka
25-01-2007, 19:43
Yeah, id love to see a fex too! Didnt you say youd already done one? ANd wheres a pic of this scratch built Gargoyle? I hate the present model so some inspiration would be cool! Pics! PICS!

These nids are very cool, and its nice to see you pay attention to the little guys as well as the big uns!

wildkarrde0
25-01-2007, 21:52
hi they love the nids how are you doing the purple on them I been trying to get a similar effect on some test modals for the exodites i'm starting

Princess Faye
25-01-2007, 22:10
The purple is pretty simple to achieve. It's liche purple over a black undercoat. Then its a mixture of half liche purple,half warlock purple, which is then highlighted by adding more and more amounts of warlock purple to the mix until its pure warlock purple. Then the final highlight is warlock purple with a tiny amount of tentacle pink. Finally I use a really thin wash of purple ink over the whole thing. I don't really count the amount of stages I use, I just mix the colours gradually.

Princess Faye
25-01-2007, 22:38
well todays work involved painting four chimneys,not a huge amount but still enough to make me almost want to take my own life. I have coated all the body that I painted so far in gloss varnish as he was starting to get chipped on the more spiky parts. Whether or not I'll tone this down I'm not yet sure, as I like the shiny effect,but for now it simply serves as protecting the paint until I assemble the entire model.

As for pictures of a carnifex, I have a painted one which I'll post on here tomorrow. He's the first model I ever painted and my favourite (his speciality is busting killer cans open, fiendish). I shall also post some pics of my gargoyle which is scratch built as I think the gw ones are terrible,they look like they've died on the top of the flying bases.

Thanks for all the positive comments made so far, it's really encouraging my painting!:chrome:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/carapace3.jpg

Inquisitor Konig
26-01-2007, 05:50
how do you get that bone effect? it looks really good!

Princess Faye
27-01-2007, 00:11
Bone effect is pretty simple to achieve, it just takes A LOT of patience, hence the small amount of progress I make each day!

1)First its a base coat of scorched brown over a black undercoat.
2)Then bestial brown over the top.
3)1/2 bestial brown 1/2 snakebite leather
4)pure snakebite leather
5)1/2 snakebite leather 1/2 bleached bone
6)then I use a few thin layers of bleached bone, not one thick one or it doesn't come out right
7)finally bleached bone with a tiny amount of skull white

the trick is to keep the layers quite thin so they show the layers underneath through them, giving a 'natural' bone effect.:chrome:

Princess Faye
27-01-2007, 03:26
well todays the day that I've finally finished the torso of my hive tyrant. I know I'm painting him using a rather odd method but from past experience I've found that painting a fully built tyranid model is no fun due to all the spiky bits. I hope you all enjoy it, I know I promised to post pics of my carnifex but he'll have to wait til tomorrow cos its three in the morning and I need to regenerate before moving onto the legs tomorrow!

Also my new forge world rippers arrived yesterday,so I'll be able to replace the broken ones from my base now. I'm going to save them til last though as a treat!:)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/finishedcarapace.jpg

Light of the Emperor
27-01-2007, 04:58
In the way you painted the models, I'm actually a fan of the glossy, wet look. Its entirely possible that the model can have both matte and gloss elements. Seeing as the armor is a very hard "bone" exoskeleton, I'd imagine it in a dull matte varnish while the skin should be dripping with alien ichor. Either way it'll look awesome when finished. Kudos!

ThatGuy
27-01-2007, 08:59
yeah, i really like the look of the red especially with the gloss

although i do agree that matt gloss might be a bit better on the carapace eh, but still looks good.

Voronwe[MQ]
27-01-2007, 09:21
Good carapace and superb gloss finish to the torso!

Voronwe

hiveminion
27-01-2007, 11:20
I love it! The shiny gloss on the carapace IMO actually looks nice, as if he just stepped out of a wet, slimy mycetic spore.

Huw_Dawson
27-01-2007, 11:35
My tyrant is 1000x worse than this guy. >_< This guy is going to be very, very good. :)

- Huw

Princess Faye
27-01-2007, 23:31
nothing special to report today, painted the skin on the legs and lower torso. I'm happy with the results and skin is always fun to paint but I can never judge how I think the model is working out until the bone section is painted too.

Thankyou so much for all the encouragement! It's nice to know there are other tyranid supporters out there! (sometimes I think I'm the only one!) As for the gloss varnish (I know this is quite an issue) I paint it on so thickly to protect the model at first,then when the whole thing is done, I might spray it with purity seal to slightly dull the effect. However usually just handling the model does this anyway. What can I say, I just love shiny things (maybe I'm really a gnoblar at heart!)

Hope you enjoy the pics. (Carnifex is having a bath so that he's nice and shiny for his pics,he does exist honest really:) ). :chrome:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/legs.jpg

wildkarrde0
27-01-2007, 23:46
got to say i can't wait to see the completed monster I love you paint scheme the blue on the flesh hooks look great this is quality work

Princess Faye
28-01-2007, 03:30
well I was supposed to be working tonight but I just couldn't stop thinking about my hive tyrant (no, really!), so I decided to skip work and paint some more! I managed to finish all the bone on his legs and lower torso and I'm really pleased with the outcome. I went for a slightly darker bone colour this time, keeping the bleached bone layers thinner to show through the scorched brown underneath. I just thought it gave him a more worn look and I like to make all my units different if only slightly. Hopefully going to finish the rest tomorrow and glue his legs to the base (so excited!!)

And finally... here are some pictures of my carnifex! my favourite model ever! He's painted slightly different to my other models, the chimneys are brighter and the head is different, but this is because he's the first model I ever painted, so he was used to practice different techniques on. I know I should really re paint parts of him to match in with how I paint now but I don't have the heart to do it, also I like to see how my techniques evolve. Please be nice to him or he might just eat your faces off!:)

(Pics of scratch built gargoyle tomorrow, he too is taking a bath so he'll be nice and clean for you all to see!):chrome:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/legs2.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/carnifex.jpg

Light of the Emperor
28-01-2007, 03:33
Skipping work to paint, thats what I like to see!
The time was well spent though because the hive tyrant is shaping up to be one mean looking dude! I'm liking the carnifex too, especially the bone on the head crest.
Great work!

azironlegion
28-01-2007, 05:34
amazing! I am humbled. The carapace is absolutely fantastic. I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole swarm especially the tyrant.

FearFrost
28-01-2007, 06:14
Nice, the gloss really makes it pop, and the blue claws fit the scheme nicely.

Frost

Asuril
28-01-2007, 12:59
Looks incredible! Keep up the great work, I'm bookmarking this page!

Rikka Rakka
28-01-2007, 18:00
But where is the scratch built Gargoyle? Potentially the most interesting thing of all, especially seeing as the present model sucks ass?

Nice work on the fex, and nice work with regular updates! It keeps us foaming at the mouth!

Princess Faye
28-01-2007, 19:33
Just posting a mini update (waiting for the tyrants legs to dry after a heavy blast of 'ardcoat). First of all I just want to say thankyou for all the encouragement I've been given, it really has been the driving force of this project. And especially thankyou to all the other tyranid painter/modeller/players who have commented on this thread, I feel like I have been accepted into the warseer hive mind!

And finally... my converted gargoyle, built out of frustration at how terrible the current model is (well actually he's built out of a hormagaunt,termagant and some chaos fury wings). Hope everyone likes him!:)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/gargoyle.jpg

Voronwe[MQ]
28-01-2007, 19:43
That must be one of the best Carnifexes I've ever seen! Good work on the gargoyle, too.

Voronwe

hiveminion
28-01-2007, 20:16
Wow, I like that Gargoyle conversion! The pose of the Carnifex is not entirely to my taste, but that's probably the symmetry.

Keep up the good work![dice0]

EDIT: yeah, first dice roll and a six already! Lol

Endemion
28-01-2007, 20:31
I'd be pretty happy if that fex was my most recent model, for your first it's an amazing achivement

Princess Faye
28-01-2007, 21:17
The legs are finished! Was going to stick them to the base but had a minor set back with the glue (it's very cheap and nasty and hive tyrants deserve better:) ). I'm really pleased with the results as I can see the entire model coming together now. Only got lashwhip, bonesword, venom cannon and the head to paint. Also need to finish the rippers for the base which I was going to do last but decided it would be no fun going from the biggest tyranid in my army to the smallest.

I'm converting the sword and whip to get a better pose, I'll post the results tomorrow. Other than that, I have nothing to report. Once again thanks for all the feedback!:chrome:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/finishedlegs.jpg

wildkarrde0
28-01-2007, 22:29
I said once I will keep saying this really nice looking army the gargoles will fantastic when finnished.

Princess Faye
29-01-2007, 00:00
I've got four of the gargoyles built already and the other four are under construction, but I think they might be my next project after the tyrant s finished.:skull:

ReclecteR
29-01-2007, 09:46
Wow
I was away for a bit, so hadn't looked at this thread for a while (not a lack of interest, I swear!), but coming back to it, the stuff you are doing is amazing. I would be glad if my stuff looked half as good. This is the problem with sites like this. I look at these awesome minis, then try to replicate them and I get frustrated over the crap-factor. Grrrr...

That gargoyle looked amazing. I was (and am) going to make some gargoyles the exact same way you had, but wasnt sure what wings to use. I was thinking of scratch-building some with thick foil and scything talons, but the ones you used looked made for the job. How much were they?

And finally, the fex looks great. Are you sure it's your first model? The Hivetyrant looks like being sheer mastery.

How do you manage to blend in the highlights so well for a smooth transition? Do you do lots of layers or watering down or just an ink over the top. Whenever I try to highlight the way you have the colours are too different and not smoothly blended so it looks like random colours.
I'm thinking you'd be as good as any to get advice from...

Princess Faye
29-01-2007, 17:48
RE gargoyles. The wings are chaos fury wings, I found them in the fantasy chaos collectors guide. I think they were about 1 each. It can be difficult finding wings that fit in with the tyranid models as they're so distinctive but I think that these ones work quite well. I know that forge world have done some wings for the warriors but having never ordered any I'd assume that they would be too big for a gargoyle.

Thanks for all the compliments on the carnifex, he IS my first model and I'm really proud of him too.;)

And RE painting technique. I don't have a strict method for the whole army. For example the carnifex's carapace is big enough that I can get loads of highlights and detail on there, so I use loads of thin layers of paint then blend them out on the ends using water, while the paint is stil wet, I apply the next layer and blend it all in. It really helps to keep the paint wet. On a model like a gaunt, the carapace is loads smaller so putting loads of details on would get really messy. So I just use layers of thin paint and blend them out,but I don't use any water. As for the skin It's just highlighted up with loads of layers. I use a really thin ink wash at the end.

Going to make a start on either the rippers or the venom cannon tonight. I'll be posting some pictures of my lashwhip and bonesword conversions too ( nothing fancy, just repostioned slightly):chrome:

Rikka Rakka
29-01-2007, 23:40
That Garg is cool. Do you plan to do a unit or is he a one off?

Princess Faye
30-01-2007, 00:13
well, not much to report. Not felt too well today so layed off painting as I don't want to do a bad job at this stage:) . However got some pics of my bonesword conversion, as I said nothing fancy, just repositioned slightly ( it'll make more sense when it's on the actual model) so that I can have the hive tyrant pointing forwards with it. (Also a pic of the original position just so you can compare).

RE gargoyles. He is going to be part of a squad of eight. I have one built and painted (the one in the thread) and another four built. The final three are at various stages of completion on the nid production line. I'm thinking of painting them after the tyrant but not sure yet.

I should have something more interesting to look at tomorrow!:chrome:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/boneswordconversion.jpg

Rikka Rakka
01-02-2007, 15:17
Any more movement on this?

Princess Faye
04-02-2007, 23:14
Been away a few days so no real progress on my hive tyrant. However, I have completed a section of the venom cannon which I'm really pleased with and was an absolute pleasure to paint compared to the torso and legs! Should have the other half finished tomorrow and possibly some more work on the bonesword. It's weird how all the little jobs take longer to complete than the bigger jobs.

This isn't the clearest picture in the world but I hope it satifies all those who have been asking where I've been this week. ;)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/venomcannon1.jpg

azironlegion
05-02-2007, 03:47
looking good as usual! i really like the wet look

Rikka Rakka
05-02-2007, 18:15
Superb stuff!Only a bonesword and head plus other half of the cannon to go yeah? I cant wait to see this bad boy assembled!

Twilight
05-02-2007, 19:46
very nice 'nids. love the scheme.

yeah, first dice roll and a six already!

I dont know what these dices are about. anyone care to explain?

hiveminion
05-02-2007, 19:52
These.......teasers....*grumblegrumble-wanttoseethewholemodel-grumble*.....

*slaps himself in the face*

Ouch, sorry. It looks really promising, but I simply prefer whole models to bitz;) . Ah well, better than nothing I suppose...

dont know what these dices are about. anyone care to explain?

I guess they are meant for "long range games", but they're also quite fun:) .

ThatGuy
16-02-2007, 06:41
no more updates?

Princess Faye
16-02-2007, 16:47
Ok I've got to admit that I've been pretty lazy in the last fortnight however, my zoanthrope suffered a heavy casualty (his head came off *sniff*) and after several attempts to fix him, I have managed to break off one of his chimneys ( *sniff*). The chimney is now fixed but his head is not. To cut a long story short what with this disaster and other stuff I have got very lazy. But during my absence I notice my thread has been followed so I shall be kicking off my painting tonight!

I hope to have at least something to show everyone even if it's just a picture of me crying over my zoanthrope (yes, I loved him very much!):chrome:

Princess Faye
18-02-2007, 18:25
well, i promised pics 2 days ago and here they finally are. nothing exciting just the other half of the venom cannon. it took so long to do because I kept repainting parts of it that I wasn't happy with. For instance, the end part that fits into the gun was going to be a bright toxic green to match the other green parts, but when I'd painted it in just a few undercoats, it just didn't look right, so I blacked it over and went with a much more subtle liche purple effect instead. I'm really happy with the outcome of this section as I like the green spots between his fingers, but I know that it's not enough to keep all you hungry warseers happy so I am continuing to paint after I post this reply (to make up for my laziness).

If anyone was wondering about the fate of mr.zoanthrope, he is all fixed and better now. my boyfriend felt really sorry for me when he read my last post about him being all broken so he glued him up for a surprise, which i'm extremely grateful for! I'm sure he'll live to regret it the next time his killa kans are destroyed once again by my trusty zoanthrope. enough talk, more paint!:chrome:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/venomcannon2.jpg

hiveminion
18-02-2007, 19:29
Looks very good (which may be expected given the time it took;) ), the way the purple blends into the black parts is extremely well done. This feed arm seems less shiny than the gun it belongs to, perhaps it's the pic?

Princess Faye
18-02-2007, 19:36
well spotted, it's not been glossed yet!:)

Anardakil
18-02-2007, 20:32
It's looking great. Paint faster I wanna see the finished version ^^

Princess Faye
18-02-2007, 20:50
ok, there's this job I've been putting off for ages, actually constructing the painted parts of the tyrant! Why? I hear you ask. Well simply because tyranids have so many arms and legs and spikes and posing them is a nightmare. However, before I could paint the upper limbs, I needed to position them so I could drill holes for pins etc. This left me with the inevitable job of actually constructing everything. Considering my loathing for this part, it went rather well so I took some pictures for everyone who has been teased so far by the slow contruction process. Hope this makes up for my absence and laziness! Enjoy.

Only need to paint the bonesword, lashwhip, head and rippers (for the base) so in constructing him I've realised just how close to the end I am!:)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/constructedtyrant1.jpg

And now a word from the hive tyrant of the mighty hive fleet scylla....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/SHOUTINGTYRANT.jpg

Back to painting!!:chrome:

Rikka Rakka
18-02-2007, 22:47
LOL, that looks awesome. nice to see it finally all starting to come together!

Princess Faye
24-02-2007, 03:43
ok, so i've been very lazy recently but i've been trying to catch up on my work so painting has taken a back seat however, slowly but surely i'm slowly inching towards the finishing line with only rippers, head and lashwhip to complete. finished the bonesword, i'm pretty happy with the results so i'm gonna start on the lashwhip tomorrow, going to convert it so it's bent slightly. I want to create the impression that the hive tyrant is actually using it to lash something as opposed to just holding it as if to say 'look at my lashwhip it's pretty kickass'.but that is for tomorrow, as for today, here's a pic.enjoy and please keep commenting as I love it so!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o11/XXXPrincessFayeXXX/bonesword.jpg

proximity
24-02-2007, 04:44
Amazing, we have almost the same colourscheme and bases, except my bone bits and carapace colours are around the other way :D!

*internet high 5*

hiveminion
24-02-2007, 17:43
The-sword-is-fantastic.

THESWORDISFANTASTIC!

The sword is fantastic.

Only thing I can say, other than keep it up!

Rikka Rakka
24-02-2007, 19:42
The sword does look great. Is it on the model yet? So now only a few bits to go! A head, a gribbly lash whip and the rippers? Cool as feth!

ReclecteR
10-03-2007, 05:27
Wow
Just wow.
Everytime I look at this thread it gets better and better. The Tyrant is really looking good now, cant wait to see it all finished.
How do you get the blending so perfect!:cries: long way for me to go yet.
Mak sure you keep up he good work![dice0]

hehe, at least my luck is still with me...

E.S.P
29-02-2008, 10:41
no offence but i h8 glossy models, i reckon u should dull coat it, but other then that they are so dam sexy

Getifa Ubazza
29-02-2008, 15:33
Im not really into Nids. I just dont see the point of them. Blooming Alien rip offs.

<----Im kidding. The Tyrant is looking so darn sexy. As do all the models you have shown.

Cant wait to see him finished.

Mewy
10-01-2010, 13:36
Simple awesome colour scheme. Powerfully vivid and eye catching.

sCar[Sandstorm]
10-01-2010, 17:37
So cool! poor zoanthrope... :(

Subscribed ;)