PDA

View Full Version : Planetside

BorisGT
14-07-2005, 01:31
Okay folks, I'll remake this thread here on WarSeer similar to how it was on Portent.

Planetside is a massively multiplayer online first person shooter. MMOFPS

There is a monthly subscription fee of $13 US.

For those of you interested please check out www.planetside.com

For those of you who already own the game, please feel free to post your characters and their BR/CR/server/empire/etc.

I run an outfit (think clan) on the Emerald server (US East). We call ourselves Bleed Blood. We're always looking for new players who are willing to learn and the subsequently kick some ass. If you're curious about the game, please drop me a line here, or via PM.

Cheers
Boris

TenTailedCat
14-07-2005, 01:48
I used to post on a PlanetSide TR forum a couple of years ago, I had considered buying it but I can play games which are just as good for free 9Enemy Territory, for example)

Did anyone lock down the whole world on PS yet?

Gupp
14-07-2005, 02:37
Last I checked, there were one week free trials floating around too.

Kensai X
14-07-2005, 05:28
I've been interested in this game for awhile...

How would one go about making a successful support sniper or assasin type person???

TenTailedCat
14-07-2005, 09:53
Ugh, you wouldn't - the Bold Driver sniper rifle takes two shots to kill even unarmoured soldiers, and it's awfully slow at reloading. The cloaking device, which was pretty uber at first can now be detected by automated base defence guns, so you're screwed there too. :D

About the only useful thing you can do is join the Zerg - the uncoordinated swarm of idiots who rampage across a continent at 3am when there are no enemy forces online and lock down a continent or two and prompty lose it again in an hour because nobody cares enough to do a bit of guard duty.

BorisGT
14-07-2005, 23:35
Did anyone lock down the whole world on PS yet?

Personally, I've never witnessed that while I was on, but I've seen a movie of it happening on the US west server I believe. So yes, it has happened.

BorisGT
14-07-2005, 23:36
About the only useful thing you can do is join the Zerg - the uncoordinated swarm of idiots who rampage across a continent at 3am when there are no enemy forces online and lock down a continent or two and prompty lose it again in an hour because nobody cares enough to do a bit of guard duty.

I disagree. If you join a coordinated outfit that uses TeamSpeak or Ventrilo you can do some failry complex tasks. It's all based on how commited your team is though. If they want to feck around, then you won't get much done.

TenTailedCat
14-07-2005, 23:37
Who got it? I hope it wasn't NC or Vanu...

BorisGT
14-07-2005, 23:57
Who got it? I hope it wasn't NC or Vanu...

Well you've nothing to worry about. It was the Terrans. The movie is called Terran Conquest, or something of the sort.

If you wanted to check for it I'm positive it's hosted on www.planetsidemovies.com

This is a good site if you're not too sure how the game looks, but you're interested. Just check the higher rated movies.

TenTailedCat
15-07-2005, 00:09
I'm pleased wth that, i used to visit a terran forum a few years back, doesn't seem to be online anymore though.

BorisGT
15-07-2005, 00:19
I find the forums available through Sony (the official game ones) to be the best. May have the higher ***** counts, due to even the stupids knowing that the site will have forums, but its got all the official stuff. Usually a decent dev response as well.

Just curious, do you still play? You haven't stated yet.

TenTailedCat
15-07-2005, 00:40
No, I played at a friends house when it first came out, but both of us got bored very quickly. It's a great idea for a game, but sadly you have to take into account the idiots who play. No amount of great, friendly players can make up for the vast amounts of n00bs.

BorisGT
15-07-2005, 01:24
No, I played at a friends house when it first came out, but both of us got bored very quickly. It's a great idea for a game, but sadly you have to take into account the idiots who play. No amount of great, friendly players can make up for the vast amounts of n00bs.

While I respect your opinion, I find it horribly misconcieved. You mention playing when it came out. Okay, everyone was new then. Now there are fantastic players. Don't bundle us with the new guys! They may have some kind of promotion dealing with the desire to get some of the old players back. If they have it, I'll post so in this thread. May change your mind. Much has been changed in the game since release.

TenTailedCat
15-07-2005, 02:08
I wasn't labling you as a n00b, I just mean the sort of players who laught and scream at you over teamspeak when they've camped the spawn tubes for ten minutes straight and make the same tired 'tea and crumpets?!?!!?' jokes when they hear that you're english.

Generally it's thirteen year olds who could do with a good slap.

BorisGT
15-07-2005, 02:12
I wasn't labling you as a n00b, I just mean the sort of players who laught and scream at you over teamspeak when they've camped the spawn tubes for ten minutes straight and make the same tired 'tea and crumpets?!?!!?' jokes when they hear that you're english.

Generally it's thirteen year olds who could do with a good slap.

Thats when you join a capable outfit. Besides, no one spawncamps anymore. If they do they get TKed, or the pain field gets them, or some one who knows better decis the tubes so they can't camp them.

TenTailedCat
15-07-2005, 02:16
Well that's all good to hear, but still, for the price you pay per month there are lots of team based FPS that are free to play after the initial purchase - hell, Enemy Territory is compleely free, you don't have to buy a thing, which is the right price for me. :P

BorisGT
15-07-2005, 15:17
Free you say?

Well something is in the works to actually make the subscripion partially free. If you wanted to play online for free you could, but you would be limited in your selections of certifications and things. You simply wouldnt be able to advance as far as paying users. However, some people who pay right now, don't need to pay, because at the restricted Battle Rank they would still be 100% effective. This could really bring in the army of grunts that made this game a good idea before it came out.

BorisGT
20-07-2005, 14:16
Some new Announcements -

Since the release they have upped the Battle Rank from 20 to 23. It seems they will be doing it again, and bringing it to 25. However, you will not recieve certification points (the things you use to buy the certifications which have the weapons/vehicles, if you didn't know already) but instead at 24 you will get an addition implant slot which will be used for something like new implants, or perhaps a structuring of existing implans so you can't take all the better ones. Also at 24 they may go back after the patch is out and allow players to toggle their Helmets on/off. This has been a request for some time. The player models have detailed faces, but they're hidden in the helmets most of the time. Finally, at 25, there will be a new armor upgrade. Your armor changes to reflect your progression through the battle ranks. It starts as one color, then moves more towards the main colors of your empire. The final upgrade comes at BR14, and since they made 23, people wanted a new upgrade for their armor because the vets at 23 are stuck with the same armor as the lads much lower. So, at 25, there will likely be a quite new but not totally out of hand color scheme for each empire. Combined with the helmet toggle, this is a good content addition for the game. Not so much in the terms of gameplay, but in making the players happy. Customization is what its all about.

alterion
20-07-2005, 16:41
.. i heard that this was shcduled to be closing donw in the not to distant future though?

TenTailedCat
20-07-2005, 22:32
I heard that the dev team just got a big new advertising budget for this year, so I doubt that, unless that's old news.

alterion
20-07-2005, 22:45
ahh well i guess so then

BorisGT
20-07-2005, 23:37
Your sources are incorrect.