PDA

View Full Version : Radicalism within Ordo Hereticus

Emperor's Light
14-07-2005, 02:19
The Witch Hunter's Codex says the distinction between Puritans and Heretics are more murky within the Hereticus than within the Malleus. I can see that. However, it seems to me there may very well be Hereticus Inquisitors who are radicals or borderline radicals.

For example, some inquisitors with radical leanings may seek to capture rogue psykers and harness their power rather than exterminate them. This would be keeping with Xanthite philosophy.

Also, I expect that radicals would not be supported by the Sororitas. They would have to resort to other Imperial forces or their own household troops. They might have rogue psykers in their retinue, bound and controlled by arcane devices. Obvious having rogue psykers nearby risks daemonic possession, but it seems like a radical would risk it if it means tapping into great power.

So any other ideas on how radical inquisitors in the Ordo Hereticus might behave or who they might align with?

TenTailedCat
14-07-2005, 02:24
Read up on the various factions of the Inquisition, for instance there's one faction, I forget the name, which seeks to establish terrorist and rebel groups who will smash apart the supposedly stagnant and archaic workings of the Imperium, this faction believes that the whole Empire needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Other factions believe that humanity is at it's strongest when faced with conflict, so they seek to start uprisings and mass rebellions to give the loyal populace something to focus their minds on, for the glory of the Emperor and all that.

Goblinardo
14-07-2005, 02:47
Recongregators and Istvaanians, that is.

TenTailedCat
14-07-2005, 02:49
Ah yes. i was too lazy to go and dig out my Inquisitor rulebook, I should really keep those things near the computer...

Khaine's Messenger
14-07-2005, 02:53
Also, I expect that radicals would not be supported by the Sororitas.

Well...yes and no. As was pointed out in the WH codex, some of the more zealously puritan Inquisitors are actually considered "radicals" by other Inquisitors....

They would have to resort to other Imperial forces or their own household troops.

Or, I don't know, lying. The Sororitas in Grey Knights were relatively easy to dupe even though they came around just barely. The only problem is that such duplicity does not exactly play out in the armylist side of things because an Inquisitor would have to be a master of spin-artistry to explain some of the things he has at his disposal....

So any other ideas on how radical inquisitors in the Ordo Hereticus might behave or who they might align with?

I imagine most of them would deal with infrastructural issues...Recongregators and Istvaanians would be good, as suggested.

Emperor's Light
14-07-2005, 03:54
Read up on the various factions of the Inquisition,

Yes I have read that. That's where I got Xanthites from. What I am more interested in is how radical philosphies would translate into practice for a Ordo Hereticus inquisitor, which my example with a hypothetical Xanthite demonstrates. So to take another example, how would a Recongregator Hereticus inquisitor translate his philosophy into action? That's what I'm interested in.

Or, I don't know, lying. The Sororitas in Grey Knights were relatively easy to dupe even though they came around just barely. The only problem is that such duplicity does not exactly play out in the armylist side of things because an Inquisitor would have to be a master of spin-artistry to explain some of the things he has at his disposal....

Lying will only get you so far. After all, a radical inquisitor's radical actions are not a one time deal but a continuing agenda.

As was pointed out in the WH codex, some of the more zealously puritan Inquisitors are actually considered "radicals" by other Inquisitors....

I don't remember reading this. Do you have a page number?

sulla
14-07-2005, 08:39
Well, the sisters are religious fanatics, therefore they are probably considered 'radical' by much of the imperium. Being called 'radical' is pretty much dependant on who is doing the 'calling' when it comes to the witch-hinters. It basically means someone doing things too different from me!

Minister
14-07-2005, 11:38
The section of ultra-puritans who verge on radicalism are those who follow the idea that ALL psykers are evil warp spawn (except the Emperor, who ie exempt on the grounds of being a God). Were these policies to be enacted, the Imperium would then fall appart due to lack of long-ranged communication and speedy warp transit, but then you never can tell with these nutters.

Brusilov
14-07-2005, 15:04
The best solution if you want to play a radical Inquisitor and the army he might to throw together would be either, playing IG with Witch Hunter allies (the Inquisitor being the second HQ choice or a an Elite choice). Or if you want to go radical all the way, like Recongregators (Istvaanians do not intend to bring down the Imperium, they try to create turmoil because for them the Imperium is strongest when its existence is in peril), just use the Lost and the Damned list.
The Arch-heretic with some psychic powers would make a fine Inquisitor in power armour, don't use anything fancy from the CSM list but loads of mutants and Traitors, throw in a Leman Russ for good measure and voilą.

Barbarossa
14-07-2005, 21:44
Then there are the monodominant radicals who think that even Space Marines are nonhuman mutant freaks and should be burnt accordingly. Unsurprisingly there is not a lot of them and they don't talk much to Space Marines. :-)

Minister
14-07-2005, 22:25
There are indeed scant few of these, and the rest of the Monodominants think them to be a little on the extremist side (which is like being thought overly codex-compliant by Ultramarines).

Emperor's Light
14-07-2005, 22:47
Monodominants and other "ultra-purtians" aren't really radicals. They aren't ostracized like radicals are. To borrow 21st century terminology, they would be "reactionary" as opposed to "radical." I think their entourage would actually be pretty archetypal in keeping with the Witch Hunter's codex (they obviously probably wouldn't be psykers themseves.)

The schools of thought like Xanthite, Horusian, Recongrugator, or Istvaanian are more likely to have weird stuff in their entourage. Xanthites believe the tools of the enemy can be turned against him, and so is likely to employ rogue psykers (who have gone under soul binding and command unpredictable but powerful psychic powers.) Horusians believe a figure that commands the power of chaos can be turned for the betterment of the Imperium, and might actively support controlled daemonic possession of rogue psykers they have capture.

That's more of the type of background ideas I have been thinking. Not just from an army list perspective, but from a story perspective what would make a radical inquisitor stand out.

Minister
14-07-2005, 23:46
True, however the comment was made that the ultra-puritans, and I paraphrase, "eventually come full circle, becoming dark mirrors of the radicals they so oppose" or something on those lines. There is little diference in effect between an Istvanian and an extremist Monodominant, although the ideologies are entirley oposed.