PDA

View Full Version : Orc and Goblins log.

tcmainprize
11-01-2007, 14:47
Right my first log. I'm going to chart the progress of painting my goblins from the Skull Pass boxed set. I'll add in any other greenskins i might be working on too.

First up Night Goblin spearmen.

I don't like highlighting black with grey as to my eye it tend to look just that, grey. I've used drybrushes of Foundry Deep Blue shade, a 50/50 mix of Deep Bue Shade and Deep Blue, then a light drybrushing of Deep Blue on these.

I wanted to do something to detract from the one pose wonderyness of the models so I've made some slate bases to mount the litte chaps on. I might add some snow to these aswell.

Let me know what you think, and I'll try to get more progress reports added as soon as I can.

Paulus
11-01-2007, 21:13
Nice work, that's an unusual way to base your mini's, but unusual is good!

HiredSword.
11-01-2007, 21:38
what a great way to base your models! They're just compensating for their height though. It definately makes them a bit more imposing.

cheaky
11-01-2007, 22:00
the bases look sweet and the painting is cool too :)

tcmainprize
15-01-2007, 14:07
Finished my first regiment of Night Gobbo spearmen. Snow on the bases was done using bicarbanate soda, following a method from a CMON article.

Comments welcome.

Paulus
15-01-2007, 14:14
Looking even better now, nice work!

As much as I love the bases will having 2 of the mini's on the same slate not cause you problems during games (assuming they aren't for display purposes only)?

speedygogo
15-01-2007, 19:19
The goobos look awesome. The scenic bases really bring them to life.

tcmainprize
16-01-2007, 13:58
In answer to your question Paulus.

I'm not really a gamer but i do take your point. From a personal point of view when I do I can put up with a little inconveniance if it means I'm happier with the look of my models. There are 4 of them on individual bases so they can be removed as casualties then swapped for the larger bases once as you go along, and after all they are goblins, dieing in droves is what they do.

Thanks for your comment Speedygogo. The thinking behind the basing was to bring them to life as much as possible. Whilst I like the models individually, they do look a bit one pose wonder. I used these as something of an experiment to see if i could distract from this a bit. I'm glad you like em!

tcmainprize
29-12-2008, 16:40
Get in there! Nearly 2 years between posts, must be some kind of record!

Apologies to anyone who had started following this log, I've been a bit busy with other stuff so the old night goblins have just been gathering dust. I have made the slate bases for the BFSP regiments, and bought some squig herds off EBAY, so not entirely idol.

I decided to take the opportunity to paint a few more seems as I'm having a short break from commissions between christmas and new year, so at a very leisurely pace I've managed another 11 goblins (not entirely finished in the pic). Also forgot to buy some more baking soda in Morrisons this morning so no snow for a few days.

The painted squigs, and herders will be cleaned off and repainted when i get round to them (probably in about 10 years time the rate I'm going), they came painted when i bought them. I'll do my best to at least finish the second regiment of 20 speargoblins before i get back to painting for money next week.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas

Cheers
T

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
29-12-2008, 22:59
Hello,

the goblin army looks nicely:). I'm looking forward to the next update.

Greetz
G

tcmainprize
06-01-2009, 12:25
Quick update. I've finished the second lot of BFSP speargobbos, apart from the snow. I got some more baking soda this morning so I might put the snow on this evening if theres nothing on the tele.

Going to paint a few squig herds up next. Not quite sure on what colours for the squigs yet though. I'm thinking either orange or blue, or a mixture of both.

Cheers

T

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
06-01-2009, 13:24
The gobbos look great, I suspect that the stones are quite a lot of work.

Greetz
G

Napalm
07-01-2009, 16:01
They're cool. The piece of slates are a nice idea !
I don't think it's really disturbing in gaming terms, goblins can be crushed really fast, and loss in wfb can be quite heavy. Gw sells some "rank" base where you can also put 5 (or 4?) minis.

tcmainprize
18-01-2009, 14:26
How do,

I've not really done any squig painting to speak of, but I have painted the BFSP shaman, apart from varnish and snow.

I've also added snow to the bases of the second 20 speargobbos.

I'll add some pics later as there would appear to be a problem uploading pics at the moment.

Cheers

T

tcmainprize
19-01-2009, 20:13
Pic of the shaman as promised.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
23-01-2009, 10:08
The shaman looks good, I'm looking forward to the next update.

Greetz
G

tcmainprize
20-03-2009, 13:40
Not really much to update on. Thought I'd put up a pic of everything I've painted so far. Also a pic of fanatics and archers which i'm slowly preparing.

The Orange squig is by way of a colour tester. Looks better than i expected, certainly stands out from the goblins. I'm still not sure so thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

T

tcmainprize
18-09-2009, 16:39
Errr not too long since I added to this plog.

Not really had time to do much. I've got a squig herd finished apart from varnish and snow. I'm trying to find a decent brush on matt varnish seems as GW stopped making theirs and my stocks have run out.

Can't promise when the next update will be. I'll do my best.

Excuse the very dusty shelf!

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
21-09-2009, 11:13
The squiq look good, keep up the great work.

Greetz

mrtn
21-09-2009, 15:30
This is one of the slowest plogs ever. ;)
Nice squigs. :)
You may try Vallejo's matt varnish. You may have to pull out the dropper and stir it if it's stood for years in the shop, but otherwise I think it's good.

tcmainprize
14-03-2015, 18:34
Afternoon All,

Must confess I had completely forgotten about this plog. Is more than 5 years between posts some sort of Warseer record? For various reasons I pretty much had a complete break from doing any painting for a few years but did return to the painting desk a couple of years ago. I started a log in the Random Project Logs section where I have been recording the limited number of small painting projects I have managed. If anyone is still interested in the Night Goblins then progress is charted there. You'll be pleased to know I have actually nearly finished the army.

By way of a teaser.....

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af327/tcmainprize/DSC07269_zpsf8bazna7.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/tcmainprize/media/DSC07269_zpsf8bazna7.jpg.html)

Lots more in progress pictures are now in the aforementioned Random Projects Log which can be found here....

http://http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?347348-Where-I-try-to-rediscover-my-enthusiasm-for-painting

Cheers

Tom

LocaLicious
20-03-2015, 10:02
Threadomancy ftw :) Welcome back! From what I can see the army looks rly neat! Gj!