PDA

View Full Version : taking kroq-gar in a southlands list

mpears
11-01-2007, 16:33
i was going to run a southlands based campaign at my local club can i ;
use kroq-gar with it and then include the compulsary cold one riders
or
would this be an abuse of the list as you can have archer skinks and the addition of cold ones unbalance it
or
would it be okay to just use the normal/standard list in that area as it would make no differance to the other arnies involved, because the southlands list is there so that older models can still be used in games?

any help and advice would be appreciated
thanks

NakedFisherman
11-01-2007, 16:49
Nothing disallows it as far as I know...

Jester007
11-01-2007, 23:28
A Southlands list does not allow an Oldbood as a character selection. Only Scar Vets unfortunately =( . It would be awesome if you could. Cause Kroq-Gar is not very fond of the Slann mage priests, and the southlands doesn't have very powerful ones.

I've been fooling around with the idea of a Southlands army list for my geckos, but I just don't like the idea of a rank and file Skink unit. They are still T2!!!! It seems to me that I would have to play them like Wood Elves, but I already have that army lol! I stick with the big blocks of Saraus and just pummel people.

Sorry if I ruined your idea, but I just wanted to make sure you knew. Good luck with the lizzies! Later.

Got Squig?

NakedFisherman
12-01-2007, 02:42
Whether a Saurus Oldblood is an option or not is irrelevant, really.

Kroq-Gar may be an Oldblood, but in terms of army composition rules he's just a special character.

Axel
12-01-2007, 10:15
As far as I see it he is allowed, though I would not use him in a Southland list due to background considerations. As a named character he lives in Lustria, not in the Southlands. Ruleswise imo you may take him.

mpears
12-01-2007, 11:59
when i read the background i got the impression he was the lizardman fire brigade, running round holding the line, like at albion.

Tammo_Korsai
12-01-2007, 20:14
Well, a host of Kroq-Gar is bassicaly a different list right? So I say you can't have him in a Southlands force as they are two different army lists and you can't mix them together..

ZomboCom
12-01-2007, 20:43
Kroq-Gar has his own army composition. It is not a standard lizardman list, and it certainly isn't a southlands list. He can only be taken with his own army, which is a modified version of the standard lizardman army. There is nothing that says he can be taken in the southlands list.

GranFarfar
13-01-2007, 11:34
Agree with the last two posters. Since Kroq-Gar makes Saurus cav core and 1+ it will conflict with the southland list, which lacks saurus cav.

NakedFisherman
13-01-2007, 15:15
Kroq-Gar has his own army composition. It is not a standard lizardman list, and it certainly isn't a southlands list.

Kroq-Gar just makes Saurus Cavalry a 1+ Core choice. Nowhere do the rules mention he has 'his own army composition'.

In terms of background, Kroq-Gar can seemingly go everywhere. Wasn't he present during the Albion campaign with Lord Mazdamundi?

Yellow Commissar
13-01-2007, 16:06
Kroq-Gar just makes Saurus Cavalry a 1+ Core choice. Nowhere do the rules mention he has 'his own army composition'.

Do you mean other than his special rule called "Army of Kroq-Gar"? (pg69)

It's not called "Lizardmen of the Southlands". (pg74)

Kroq-Gar does have 6 special rules. I think we are supposed to use all of them, not just the ones we want.

NakedFisherman
13-01-2007, 19:36
You mean the special rule that says 'Any army led by Kroq-Gar may take Saurus Cavalry as Core unit choices...'?

Yellow Commissar
13-01-2007, 22:24
You mean the special rule that says 'Any army led by Kroq-Gar may take Saurus Cavalry as Core unit choices...'?

That's exactly right. It also describes how much of Kroq-Gars fast army was spawned on Albion. Reading the entire entry, I see that Kroq-Gar has since led his army back to Lustria. (emphasis mine)

A thorough reading of the Lizarmen of the Southlands army list tells me that the list is intended to be used "rather than" the Lustrian one. Nothing says that Kroq-Gar may be used as well as a Southlands list.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with agreeing to play that way, but the written rules don't support it.

mpears
14-01-2007, 11:23
thank`s everyone for taking the time, i appreciate all your points

Axel
14-01-2007, 14:57
After reading these points and rereading the rules I agree that Kroq-Gar is not allowed in a Southlands list. The conditions set by his special rules disagree with that list. The only way to solve that conflict is to avoid it.

GranFarfar
14-01-2007, 16:45

Not only may it, it must take at least one unit of Saurus Cavalry. This conflicts with the Southland list which do not allow saurus cav. Or do not contain at least.

Atzcapotzalco
18-01-2007, 14:49
There's a conflict, I agree, but I don't think there's an actual paradox.

Kroq-Gar's special rule modifies the list he's added to, with no reference to whether cold one riders are allowed in the first place. The same with his status as an old blood.

As a final thought, wouldn't the addition of Kroq-Gar (and attendant cold-one riders) render the southlands list almost identical to the main list (with Kroq-Gar). In which case, does it matter?