PDA

View Full Version : Considering 2000pts Empire

alenui
12-01-2007, 02:01
I usually play High Elves but will sooner or later change for a bit and i borrowed my mates empire and used the new rules for a game and quite liked them i have now bought the book and thought i would come up with a list for general use (and maybe tournaments) this is quite similar to the one i used with my mates army against dwarfs.

Wizard Lord: L4, Rod of Power, Ring of Volans, 2 Dispel Scrolls: 310pts
Warrior Priest: Armour of Meteoric Iron, Great Weapon: 119pts
Warrior Priest: Dawn Armour, Shield: 127pts
Warrior Priest: Barded Steed, Enchanted Shield, Van Horstmann's Speculum, Heavy Armour: 153pts

30 Halberdiers: CSM: 170pts
30 Halberdiers: CSM: 170pts
10 Crossbowmen: 80pts
10 Hand Gunners: 80pts
5 Knights: Musician, C: 139pts
5 Knights: Musician: 123pts

6 Pistoliers: Outrider, Repeater Pistol, Musician: 132pts
6 Inner Circle Knights: CSM, Warbanner: 221pts
Cannon: 100pts
Mortar: 75pts

1999pts

Ok there we go i haven't used detachments partly as they seem to reduce manouverability; partly as i haven't used them before and finally as empire shouldn't get a tactical advantage like this if high elves don't. So what do you guys think?

Makarion
12-01-2007, 02:04
So High Elves get a +1 to all dispel checks but Empire is not allowed any special rules?

Jhayden
12-01-2007, 02:17
+1 dispel is a racial thing. The fact that only Empire get an advantage which is purely tactical (and thus completely imitatable) doesn't make any sense.

loveless
12-01-2007, 02:18
hey, if he doesn't want to use an army to its full advantage, he doesn't have to *eye roll*

alenui
12-01-2007, 02:20
Okay i was only joking anyone got any comments on the army

vorac
12-01-2007, 03:23
16 knights very nice, 80 infantry that will run away at the first sight of trouble very bad, those regiments of 30 are going to get run over, sure you might get to counter charge the unit that kicked the halberdiers butt with your knights but you will have lost a 170 point unit +1 or 2 characters depending how you place them, you seem to be stuck on HE because human magic doesn't come close to the High elf equivalent. The wizard lord is not a good choice, i've used them and i know he'll probably flee when the regiment he is with panic for some odd reason because thats what the empire do.

Commodus Leitdorf
12-01-2007, 04:00
Your gonna need Detachments, especially if your set on useing Halberdiers cause without the combat res they generate you'll have trouble.

And, as always, 2 lvl 2 Wizards have a better chance at getting spells off then 1 lvl 4 Wizard.

Other then that go nuts, would be fun to play against.

Jackster
12-01-2007, 04:21
Empire kinda need detachments to win...
think about it they are human, with some weapon trying to fight off monsters, they dont have the skills of elves.
Get a Griffon standard or a captain somewhere so your troops dont start running at the beginging of the fight.

Van Holland
12-01-2007, 06:29
I agree that you need to use the detachments to your advantage.....and i would get a parent unit that is a little tougher than the halbadiers.....like spearmen or swordsmen....something that can take the hit, them have a detachment of halbadiers of swordsmen to charge in their flanks and win by combat res.....and i dont see a disadvantage of placing the crossbowmen and handgunners as a detachment too...if they happen to be within 3" of the parent and the parent is charge....yay extra round of shooting!

Mephistofeles
12-01-2007, 10:03
Ok, some points I see:

You really need detachments. Free Company make good detachments for spearmen and halberdiers, take a unit of 10 for each of you big blocks.

Exchange one warrior priest for a BSB with Imperial Banner or Griffin Standard, you will need it, that re-roll is incredible, as is +3 extra combat res.

Don't listen to Vorac here, Empire magic is rather good, as long as you take a good lore. The wizard in your army will be instrumental for draining your opponents dispel pool and open up for your priests to get some of their prayers off, which is good.

I would take one unit of swordsmen instead of halberdiers, but that's a matter of taste I guess. They have better ws, I and armour, but lower strenght, so do as you feel like there.

Also, you can drop a dispel scroll, you will have 6 dispel dice with the changes I've suggested, 7 without them, that's enough most of the time.

ffarsight
12-01-2007, 11:05
i have a list myself about lots of magic, and what i suggest is that you trade your wizard lord for a arch lector and 2 wp plus 1 wizard level 2, with doomfire ring and ring of volans and orb of thunder ...its like 4 power dice 7 bound spells ( if you put the a.L. in a war altar its like 8 bound spells) and 7 dispel dice( no need for dispel scrolls).
I think its a wonderfull magic phase, maybe the best magic heavy i?ve seen... :)

Do we have to choose the spells for the ring of volans in the beggining of the game, or can we choose it(randomly from a lore we choose) at the time we reveal it to use it??

Thanks

alenui
12-01-2007, 11:14
I did have 1 unit of swords and one of halberds but i was 20 points over so saved 35 pts by changing them. What about detatchments reducing the manouverability of my big units as i have to fit a 11 model wide frontage in twice plus the two units of missile troops and lots of cavalry if i use the detatchments.

I can see the point of detatching the missile troops with my big units, as if they stay back, they get the benefits and my missile units can't be shot up to cause panic which is nice but it still might limit my deplyment and i can't choose whether to deploy them together once i know the scenary or even opponent (thinking about generic use).

Makarion
13-01-2007, 02:40
It's worth considering deploying one of your detachments in *front* of your unit, as a sacrificial screen. Since they don't cause panic when they die, they can be a cheap way of protecting your big blocks from all the nasty stuff that requires line of sight. Archers are pretty good for it, since they skirmish, so you can deploy them 1" apart.

Von Wibble
13-01-2007, 12:34
Yes, I also do that. But be careful not to let chargers overrun into you main block in this instance as that just a free kill - flee instead.

You don't need 2 dispel scrolls. I would also suggest doomfire ring rather than the ring of volans - its a decent spell and you get it every turn. Btw I believe you roll the spell at the start of the game ffarsight.

Use the crossbows and handguns as detachments of your current units. Then get free company. If you want to keep manoevrability use archers instead of handguns and crossbows.