PDA

View Full Version : Warmaster qusetions.

inq.serge
12-01-2007, 11:55
Hi.

I have some questions about Warmaster:

1: Is it fun?

x: How many pts is a "Normal" game?

B: How big is a model? (A single infanterist and how big are they compared to an warhammer model (I.E. 1:2,5 or 1:10 or 1:5 et.c))

*: I saw the daemon, the chaos, high elf and the lizzie list, things like Daemon beasts (Juggernaughts), drangons, dragon ogres, stegadons, carnies and slann seems to be a one per army thingy, but is it possible to have multiple small armies as a huge one? (I.E. 3 lizzie lists as one huge list with 3 slann and 3 carnies and multiple stegs and such, or a huge of multiple smaller lists like an Warmaster version of "The Manly Dragon List" but bigger and manlier)?

?: Are there any rules for Emp.Dragons?:cheese:

fracas
12-01-2007, 18:51
1. i think it is fun.
x. between 1.5k and 3k
B. 8mm tall (WH is 28mm)
*: afaicr the only thing that is one per army is the general. the slann is the general for the liz. possible to combine 3 small list but probably frowned appond. other than getting three generals not much of an advantage really.
?: not afaik

inq.serge
12-01-2007, 19:26
But if I want multiple lists to make 100000pts armies (All GS converted), am I still able to "Merge" Multiple list so the list wouldn't be to boring?

(I want multiple huge armies so i can lend them to people who doesn't play for one (or more) off battles)

fracas
12-01-2007, 19:27
100k seems way out for rule balance

i personally have 3 3k armies (khemri, kislev, dwarves) and would like to add Elves and Skaven, possible orcs as well to lend out as well

inq.serge
12-01-2007, 19:33
I'm a bit obsesed with huge lists:(

I would likee battles like on the pictures.

dax
13-01-2007, 02:03
I have some questions about Warmaster:

1: Is it fun?

Yes Definitely it tends to be more tactical than warhammer. Its less about what individual units can do and more about a combined attack with several units. Cavalry is king in warmater if you have an open battlefield.

x: How many pts is a "Normal" game?

2000 pts. is normal anything less than 1500 pts. just doesn't work one good cavalry charge will end the game. A lot of tournaments use 1700 - 1750 pts. using the min/max for a 2000 point army

B: How big is a model? (A single infanterist and how big are they compared to an warhammer model (I.E. 1:2,5 or 1:10 or 1:5 et.c))

The miniatures are nominally 10mm tall. It dpends on the range Brettonians tend to be 11 - 12mm tall Vampire counts are about 9mm tall. That would make them about 1:2.8 to 1:3 in scale with warhammer depending on whether you believe warhammer is still 28mm or is now closer to 30mm

*: I saw the daemon, the chaos, high elf and the lizzie list, things like Daemon beasts (Juggernaughts), drangons, dragon ogres, stegadons, carnies and slann seems to be a one per army thingy, but is it possible to have multiple small armies as a huge one? (I.E. 3 lizzie lists as one huge list with 3 slann and 3 carnies and multiple stegs and such, or a huge of multiple smaller lists like an Warmaster version of "The Manly Dragon List" but bigger and manlier)?

I think you've misread the army lists the beasts, dragons etc are not 1 per army they are 1 per 1000 points. The min/max values listed are per 1000 pts. therefore a 2000 point army can have 2 dragons, beasts etc. a 3000 point army can have 3 and so on. The slann is one per army as you can only ever have 1 general per army.

?: Are there any rules for Emp.Dragons?

Yes but the rules for the emperor dragon are scenario specific from what I remember.
The rules for the emperor dragon are listed in Warmag 21

the stats are

Type Monster Attacks 8/4 Hits 8 Armour 4+ Size 1 Max 1 per game

There are lots of special rules that I'm not gonna list here. There are no points cost for the emperor dragon as it is scenario specific.

orangesm
13-01-2007, 02:10
And you probably do not have to go to 100k pts to get armies like those in pictures. Maybe 2 10k armies would probably get you something every similiar to the pictures I would say.

inq.serge
13-01-2007, 11:20
Thanks everyone!

I maybe should have read the rules (Which I'm still not finnished with) before posting.

JT-Y
14-01-2007, 15:02
Warmaster is fun indeed, which is the most important factor.

As for your wanting huge, cinematic armies, well thats what WM is for.

Models are 10mm tall, ish, but one model is NOT one thing, the level of representation is different.

So, think in terms of each base representing thousands of men, complete with full command structure and skirmishers, scouts, camp followers/baggage etc.
the actual men would be about as tall as the base is thick, and the intention is for the unit/stand to represent the regiments 'area' of effect upon the battlefield without the need to become bogged down in the minutiae of weapon rules and such.

This is also shown in how the rules for shooting and combat work, they are an abstract way of showing overall effect, with shooting being most usefull for causing confusion and combat showing how formations are worn down in time rather than the effect of individual losses.

The models on the bases are just a way of showing what troop type that base is, look beyond them and into whats being represented and you don't need 100kpts, as 1k of WM is easily the equivelant of 100k WFB, in terms of numbers troops represented, size of battlefield represented and so on.

So, a small game is 2k, a good size is 3k, beyond that and with tables increased from 6'x4' to 8'x4'/9'x5', 4 or 5k will recreate a truly gigantic battle. Beyond this, the game becomes to big and takes to long, as with any game where to much stuff is put on the table.

inq.serge
14-01-2007, 18:17
Maybe I should take 4-5k

JT-Y
14-01-2007, 18:51
4-5k makes for a big game, as it would in WFB or 40k.
If you have the table space and time, play it, but you will be needing 9'x5' of tabletop, or there is little point bothering as the armies don't have the space they need to manouver.

WM is all about the players ability to command the army, hence everything else being standardised, as its all about the effect the players decisions have upon the structure, moral and effective strength of his army and how he uses that to break these in the opposing army.
Less about killing individual stuff and more about breaking the back of the whole.

The author describes it as being a 'top down' game, where the player is in a god-like position and has command of everything, unlike WFB or 40k which are 'ground up' and designed to make the player feel like part of wats happening, hence the level of detail in the minutiae.

The best way to think about it is to shift your perspective then, and to see each unit on the table as being the rough equivalent of 1k of WFB troops, so a unit of Empire Soldiers in WM would be representative of a regiment of 100 men, complete with detatchments and command, a captain and his aides say.

Basically the scale is much larger than the 10mm models suggest. When you think in those terms, even a 2k WM army is huge.

Hope that makes sense and helps.