PDA

View Full Version : Navy Marauder design

CELS
12-01-2007, 12:16
Looking at the two different variants of the Marauder (standard and destroyer), I was wondering what the difference would be for these aircraft in terms of flying. They have two different tail-designs, so I guess they would behave different. Would anyone with knowledge of aerodynamics care to enlighten me?

Also, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with the forgeworld epic marauder models who could tell me if they're the same scale as the GW infantry. (I know that they're considerably bigger than GW marauders, but those seem to be the wrong scale)

McMullet
12-01-2007, 12:28
Regarding the first question, the Destroyer has much more tail surface area. This would, all else being equal, make it more manoeuvrable as the larger areas could produce a larger control force. Both the horizontal and vertical surfaces are larger, so it would be more controllable in both pitch (climb/dive) and yaw (turning). However, this extra control would have no effect if the larger inputs exceeded the maximum load factors the aircraft could sustain (i.e., the larger control forces would result in manoeuvres that ripped off the aircraft's wings).

Looking at the models, I would say that the standard Marauder Bomber looks like it has undersized control surfaces, which would give it comparatively poor controllability. The Marauder Destroyer's surfaces look more in proportion to its main wings and fuselage, and so I would expect it to be at least as manoeuvrable as any aircraft of its size.

Spacker
12-01-2007, 12:59
Also, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with the forgeworld epic marauder models who could tell me if they're the same scale as the GW infantry. (I know that they're considerably bigger than GW marauders, but those seem to be the wrong scale)

I haven't checked the Marauder scale (I can do so when I get home and measure my FW Epic version and compare to the 40k model dimensions), but the FW Epic Thunderbolts and Valkyries are to scale at 6mm with the 40k FW models. The GW Epic vehicles are way under scale compared to the infantry models.

CELS
12-01-2007, 20:43
Hmm, that makes sense. So the Marauder Destroyer, with its superiour manoeuverability, would be better equipped to fly low in difficult terrain at low speeds, but turning too hard at high speeds (i.e. air duels) would be dangerous? Seems to fit very well with its armament then. Good to see the people at Forgeworld have done their homework.

I had no idea that the Epic vehicles are bigger than GW vehicles. This doesn't seem to make much sense though. The GW Leman Russ model is about 3,4 cm long (and it should be 7,08 meters in real life). The Forgeworld Valkyrie model is about 5,8 cm, I think, and should be 18 meters in real life. In other words, the Valkyrie model should be roughly 150% longer than the Leman Russ, but it's actually more like 50%. If the Epic Leman Russ is even bigger... well.. that sucks.

Why can't they just stick to one bloody scale, instead of just going with whatever looks best for each model? Bastards.

orangesm
12-01-2007, 21:13
The scale of the GW Epic Aircraft are off... I would say that the majority of the land vehicles from both ranges are roughly equal and look fine next to the infantry.

I have included a shot of a variety of mininatures, to show scale. The Ultramarine is a standard GW plastic Space Marine. The 3 Ultramarine Epic Vehicles are all metal from GW. The Leman Russ, Shadowsword, and Imperial Guard infantry are all from GW (the infantry being greater than a decade old). The 2 Imperial Navy aircraft (Thunderbolt & Marauder Bomber) are both from FW as is the Chimera. Lastly there is a US Penny (1?) and a Euro 2 cent piece (?0.02) for scale for those that have none of the other items listed.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/cadetorange/minis/DSC01563.jpg

Greblord
13-01-2007, 03:21
That's a good picture, thanks for the size guide :)

Spacker
13-01-2007, 08:48
The 40k Marauder Destroyer has a wingspan of 450mm. Given that this is at 28mm Heroic scale, and Epic is 6mm scale, the FW Epic model should have a wingspan of 450 x 6/28 = 96mm. I've just measured mine, and it's 80mm. So the FW Epic model is still a little small at 16% under sized. That's assuming that the 450mm quoted for the 40k model on the FW site isn't rounded up from it's actual size, I don't have a real one to measure.

The Thunderbolt however is very close. The 40k kit has a wingspan of 280mm, so the Epic model should be 60mm, and it's actually 55mm. That's only an 8% difference. The 40k Valkyrie has a wingspan of 240mm, and the Epic model is 46mm, about 10% too small. Both of these I calculated from measuring the 40k and Epic models on my shelves.

Spacker
13-01-2007, 08:55
I had no idea that the Epic vehicles are bigger than GW vehicles. This doesn't seem to make much sense though. The GW Leman Russ model is about 3,4 cm long (and it should be 7,08 meters in real life). The Forgeworld Valkyrie model is about 5,8 cm, I think, and should be 18 meters in real life. In other words, the Valkyrie model should be roughly 150% longer than the Leman Russ, but it's actually more like 50%. If the Epic Leman Russ is even bigger... well.. that sucks.

Why can't they just stick to one bloody scale, instead of just going with whatever looks best for each model? Bastards.

It's the aircraft that GW made too small. I'm pretty sure the tanks are the same size from both.

ml2sjw
13-01-2007, 11:44
It's the aircraft that GW made too small. I'm pretty sure the tanks are the same size from both.

Super heavy tanks are larger from forge world than their gw equivalents, other stuff does run to scale though

Gen_eV
13-01-2007, 18:52
Super heavy tanks are larger from forge world than their gw equivalents, other stuff does run to scale though

Yeah, but just compare the GW Shadowsword to the Land Raider in that pic above - the reason the FW ones are bigger is because the IG super-heavies are massive tanks, which isn't fully represented in the original scaling.

As an aside, how big is the metal Thunderhawk?
Seeing as the new one is 10cm by 9cm, which seems an awfully large scale increase.

Spacker
13-01-2007, 20:05
The 40k FW Thunderhawk is 480 x 440mm, so an Epic scale version should be around 102 x 94 - making 100 x 90 pretty much spot on.

Athmos
15-01-2007, 14:02
FW superheavies tanks are slightly larger than GW ones and their aircrafts significantly so; infantry and vehicules are the same scale (Titans too).

Athmos

Although the GW aircrafts are probably too small to be inscale, i like the way they look in an epic game; particularily around titans; seeing fighters dwarfed by titans IS cool :)

Athmos