PDA

View Full Version : The dumbest attempt to thwart an opponent ever

Strictly Commercial
14-07-2005, 05:47
In a store where I used to live, there was a guy who used to play the chaos lord special character that had rules stating "opponent is considered to be armed with a hand weapon". Now, he was facing a Strigoi vampire Lord - someone who is pretty much immune to the effect of this character. Or so you would think.

The guy playing the chaos lord hears the other guy say that Strigoi have no ability to use equipment, so the rule doesn't reduce the effectiveness (basically trying to explain that he has nothing the chaos lord's special ability can take away, to clarify it for him). Well, this guy attempts to say that since the Strigoi is armed with a hand weapon, which he can't use, then he is unable to attack in the close combat phase at all.

This argument, of course, crashed and burned pretty hard. The rules clearly state that Strigoi can't choose equipment, and nothing about using it, so it seemed pretty cut and dry, but that didn't stop him from trying to read deeply into it and interpret it to his benefit. I think he didn't get too many games after that, having acquired a reputation as a complete tool, but it marked a record as a new low in cheesy rules interpretations.

I would love to hear a story like this one if anybody can top it (these are the real gems of gaming, IMO).

Ganymede
14-07-2005, 05:57
I remember once at a tournament I atended, my opponent and one of his friends managed to convince me that being frenzied was no protection from a banshee's scream. Maybe it was the fact that my censer bearers were set to overrun into multiple units of crumbling black knights which made my opponent so adamant on the situation. The ld 5 censer bearers would have melted under the screaming.

I'm just glad he rolled a 3 on his first shot, otherwise I would have been demolished.

Griefbringer
14-07-2005, 08:13
Strictly Commercial: now that is a ridiculous attempt at rules lawyering. Besides, it could have been easily counter-acted with the line from the rulebook that states that every unit comes with hand weapon, unless otherwise stated (so the Strigoi would have had a hand weapon to begin with).

T10
14-07-2005, 09:44
I observed the following situation

A Dragon has approached to within 4" of the left flank of a 12-man lance formation of Knights Errant. The Brettonian player declared a charge against the Dragon.

His argument was that since the Dragon was a Large target, ALL models could see him. Thus he was in line of sight and eligible for a charge!

His opponent was obviously unprepared for such a turn of events, but though off balance, he managed to get the Bretonnian player to back down by pointing out that "it seemed highly irregular".

I guess the Bretonnian player knew he was on shaky ground ruleswise, and he backed down.

-T10

GranFarfar
14-07-2005, 11:23
I have a quite nice one. My unit of Swordmastersgot charged in the flank by a Chaos Chariot, but somehow I still managed to win and break the chariot. When we rolled for pursuit and flee distances I rolled higher than my opponent.

He then said that I have to turn and wheel and make preaty much every known manouver in the warhammer world. Following the normal movement rules to put it short. I was new at the game back then, my opponent have played for years(+ I knew him, so also trusted him). I persumed he was right.
Anyhow... this resulted, ofcourse, with me failing to capture the fleeing chariot and also put me in an acward situation loosing me the game.

I know better now, always check-out rules in the BRB if my opponents makes rulesclaims I am not aware of.

EvC
14-07-2005, 12:01
It's especially annoying when they kinda accidentally but not really put WH40K rules into the game. Like when my spirits hosts broke some kroxigors, charged into them the next turn, and my opponent told me, "You take a leadership test, if you pass then they turn around and fight". What's that smell?

Selsaral
14-07-2005, 15:24
It's amazing how interest always directs people's actions eh? We pretty much always argue for what benefits us, and it often completely clouds our judgement. These stories are fun because they are particularly ridiculous examples that we can laugh at, but pretty much everyone does this to one degree or another. Part of becoming a good sport is learning how to control these impulses in ourselves.

My gaming group is quite aware of this phenomena and it is why we despise house rules of any kind and always play by the strict rules. Because as soon as it's the players making rules, they will inevitably be making them in the perspective of what benefits them, consciously or not. I'd rather a 3rd party make the rules so there can never be any accusations of corrupted interests.

MarcoPollo
15-07-2005, 00:00
I had a guy say that I couldn't use beastmen as special choice with Crom. He had an uber shooty army didn't like all the beasts screening my expensive elites. So we took a poll in the store and 9/10% of the people said it was fine.

Pravus
15-07-2005, 08:32
There's one sure-fire way of killing any nonsense like these examples. Fix the protagonist with your stare, hold it for a count of 5 and then state clearly and in your most authorative voice:

"Don't be an **** ..."

Continue to hold the stare for a count of 2 and then resume playing as if your opponent had never said a thing.

Works a treat.

gortexgunnerson
25-07-2005, 11:20
In a game in tournment, my oppenent measured the move for his chariot and went to move it 7" and then he basicallt chucked the chariot forward over the ruler. I said you moved that way to far and he said no he didnt He was like you saw me measure and got well arsey. So I said fair enough, he then measured from the chariot to move the rest of his army!!!! Like this is Move 10" so 3" forward from chariot and I was like no, so we came to a rough agreement where he was only cheating slightly with the rest of his army. I then moved my unit opposite the chariot forward 2.5" and said 24 apart at the start you moved 7" I moved 2.5" so you should be 14.5" away and unable to charge. He agreed.

Start of his turn he declared a charge with the chariot and said that it didn't matter where the models should be the fact it was close enough meant he could charge. At which point I lent forward and politely informed him that I hadn't called the arbiter on his cheating little **** because I don't go in for rules bitching but hell would be well and truely frozen over before he charged my unit.

3rd most unpleasent game I've had to play in my life

EvC
25-07-2005, 11:48
And the moral is, don't give cheaters an inch (literally!) or they'll try and take a mile.

Brother Frog
25-07-2005, 17:59
I've heard about - but cannot confirm - of a local Dwarf player who tried to claim that he got to use the Hatred rule against an opponent's dragon (and another army, this time Lizardmen) on the grounds that as they were painted green, they were subject to the same rule that gives his Dwarfs Hatred against Goblins...

MisterHeavy
25-07-2005, 18:55
On the subject of people bringing in cross-game rules (whfb to 40K) I had an opponent insist that he could take both his armor save and invulnerable save (like a ward save). You can only do that in WHFB, in 40K, you have to take one or the other.

Luckily, there were a couple of other 40K players around to set him straight.

Griefbringer
25-07-2005, 19:45
Reminds me of the infamous "you only get the armour save if you have painted your models according to the codex colour scheme" 40K rule interpretation that I have seen on another forum.

Even the inventor of the rule claimed that at the time he had been young and inexperienced and got it all wrong.

Pez
25-07-2005, 22:12
I've witnessed a game where, before deployment, a Dark Elf player noticed that there were no hills in his deployment zone, so promptly stole the one from the other side of the table to put his bolt throwers on, claiming that otherwise "it just wasn't fair."

EvC
25-07-2005, 22:38
On the subject of people bringing in cross-game rules (whfb to 40K) I had an opponent insist that he could take both his armor save and invulnerable save (like a ward save). You can only do that in WHFB, in 40K, you have to take one or the other.

Luckily, there were a couple of other 40K players around to set him straight.

Someone tried to claim the reverse on me, that I couldn't take a regular save AND a ward save. That was one rule I wasn't going to let slip by!

Brother Frog
26-07-2005, 07:45
I had someone claim his Orcs could march when within 8" of my regiments (this would bring him out of charge arc) because Dwarves can...

Auzu
26-07-2005, 10:33
A friend of mine told me once about his opponet at a GT that had claimed that he couldn't move his bolt throwers as they don't have wheels,

Griefbringer
26-07-2005, 13:20
A friend of mine told me once about his opponet at a GT that had claimed that he couldn't move his bolt throwers as they don't have wheels,

If somebody would try to pull that one on me, I would point out that most of his models do not have wheels either (especially the cavalry).

Flame
26-07-2005, 17:48
Wasnt that a rule from 5th?

Reinnon
26-07-2005, 18:05
i was watching a game with a tzeentch army (i collect them too, but i'm not very good and this guy is the local champion at the club) against a dwarf army.

i noticed that in the magic phase the tzeentch guy seemed to be firing off 6 strength 9 shots from his blue fire.

he was playing it that you roll 2D6 for the strength and D6+1 for the number of shots....and no one noticed until i came along, and he played that blue fire had a 30 inch range......

he stopped being the champion when i pointed out hsi mistake in a very large tone.

chivalrous
26-07-2005, 19:47
In the last edition, I fielded my Dark Elf army against an allied Chaos/Wood Elf force.
My opponent insisted he could play his gifts of chaos cards on any of the models on his side, Woodies and Chaos alike.
Cue one incredibly tooled up Orion and Treeman.
I lost that game unsurprisingly.

commisar kreig
26-07-2005, 19:55
on saturday i was at my local gw playing a 12,000pts game , 2 players on each side with 2,000pts for the stupid rumble in the jungle record attempt. on my team there was an empire player with 10 inner circle knights , but he had stuck them to a scenic movement tray and couldnt remove any killed models. so my opponent said that if one knight died , the whole unit had to die as single models couldnt be removed. i then looked at him untill he became unsettled and said ' shut up , its only a game ' he then agreed to let dice be put at the abck of the movement tray to represent wounds.

and the same player , 2 days later said my empire cannon couldnt flee as its crewmen had been glued to a scenic movement try , some people just dont give up moaning.

vincengetorix
26-07-2005, 20:52
A fellow who plays at the local store once tried the following in an RTT game. He'd been demolished in the first round by a great round of shooting from a lucky He player. So in the second round, when a bolt thrower fired at his cannon he promptly told the HE player that the wall he'd modeled on the front of his scenic base gave a hard cover -2 TH.

That lasted until I threatened to model up walls on wheels and place them infromt of every single unit in my army. Even better, the one round of shooting with the bolt thrower at -2 actually killed two out of three crew and did a wound to the machine. HA, instant karma.

Cheers, V

TeddyC
26-07-2005, 22:47
currently at vets night we are doing the lustria campaign and the 2 organisers (not staff) were on the next table while i was playing my game.

It was last stand and i was the attacker. If i won i wiped out resistance and id have an easy run over a few of their (its a doubles campaign) teritories.

Boarboyz declare a charge on my skinks. I chose to flee as they were about 4" away setting them up for a nice flank charge when they failed..
Up chirps ex staffer from the next table

'You cant have a charge reaction if you are under half charge away'
'No thats just stand and shoot' i told him.
'Oh no, its any charge reaction. and is flee a charge reaction? yes, so you cant flee'

I called a fat pr*ck and grabbed the rule book and made a point of showing him he was wrong.

Also theres the old when do you count ranks and outnumber, at the begining or end. he changes it to suit him. Now ive not played him yet and dont intend to but ive played people who have played him not fully knowing the rules and picked up on his way of doing things. I hate beign a rules lawyer to them and checking everything but if i didnt, id be well screwed!

AKBandito
27-07-2005, 11:25
1/. I was playing with my DE in a tourney, and played another DE player who was the front runner at the time(5 games played), the main trick of his army was cauldron of
blood and RBTs and Xbows, his first round of shooting he got X hits, then rolled to
wound, and only got like 2 wounds with a unit of 10 xbowmen, and picked up the dice
and re-rolled them.. I was like WTF?.. why are you re-rolling those?. His reply was because he had the cauldron of blood, allows re-rolls of wounds...
And i was like.. no no no.... NO@#@%!#..
after tourney refs came in, he was stripped of points(I got 2nd place).

2/. 4th ed tourney, friend of mine playing VC was ripped off from winning 1st
place in the final game, as the organisers decided that his opponent
should get VPs for summoned zombies/skelles. It even stated on the spell card
that summoned zombies/skeles give no VPs.
It was a GW sponsored tourney(before RTT/GTs) with 2 GW staff present.

3/. Someone telling me that I cannot single bolt shot down a single
rank of his chosen knights with my HE, stating that because there is only 1
rank I could only kill 1 knight.. Geez the things players try and swindle at
tournaments.

4/. Hotshot Khorne mortal player at a tournament, fielding unit of 12 chosen
knorne knights, Bloodthirster as general, exalted champ w/wings... and some
other units.
First off I told him the bloodthirster cant be his general, he will have to
remove it and substitute a khorne daemon prince w/ master of mortals...
after I tried to explain this to him for a good 3/4minutes I gave up..
and thought I can cream this guy either way with my fast moving
DE army, so i let him keep the bloodthirster(not like i will let it get into combat anyway.). So the game started I fielded most of my stuff on my flanks(i had
alot of units) and a single xbowmen unit in the middle of the field(20strong)
he came on strong, charged his chosen knights/bloodthirster and exalted
champ into the xbowmen, i stood my ground knowing he had more than enough attacks to force me to flee combat, thinking what a sucker.. thats
1500+ish points of his army out of the game for 2 turns, as they would all have to overrun off the table. THEN he tried to explain to me that being
frenzied you dont have to pursue. that was it for me, ridiculious 15model chaos army + wrong general and now this,.. I got the refs, he was stripped of
points and i was awared a Solid victory.

Atrahasis
27-07-2005, 11:37
I observed the following situation

A Dragon has approached to within 4" of the left flank of a 12-man lance formation of Knights Errant. The Brettonian player declared a charge against the Dragon.

His argument was that since the Dragon was a Large target, ALL models could see him. Thus he was in line of sight and eligible for a charge!

I can't see the problem here - a Large Target can indeed be seen over interposing models, and all that is required for a charge declaration is that one model can see the target. Assuming that the Dragon lay in the 90 degree arc for at least one Knight Errant, the charge is legal.
You can't blame the Bret player for the Dragon's failure to land in a safe spot.

KillbotFactory
27-07-2005, 13:40
I once saw a game of Orcs vs VC where the orc player claimed he could attack the wraith riding the black coach and once slain, that the coach would be destroyed as well. The VC player didn't buy it obvioulsy and the Orc player eventually backed down.

Taldaan
27-07-2005, 14:47
As a noob in both WHFB and 40K, I got owned several times by people who "bent" the rules to their advantage. Lets give you all a few examples:

1st ever game of WHFB

4 players, I had the orcs from the starter set, minus the chariot and general which I hadn't yet painted. I had also been lent a model to use as a goblin shaman. Player 2, a fellow noob, had a unit of around 10 Bret men-at-arms, and five archers. Players 3 and 4 have around 2000 points of orcs each, including boar boyz, level 4 shamans, one even has a warboss on wyvern.

As there are four players, we decide that we should play a two-on-two allies match. After a brief discussion, I am left with Player 2, while Players 3 + 4 form a grand alliance of green-skinned death. When I asked about this, Player 3 kindly informed me that any army can beat any other army if the player uses tactics.

Deployment was also somewhat skewed. Myself and Player 2 were at one end, while Player 3 took the opposite end. Player 4, meanwhile, was on the opposite side of me to Player 2, leaving me wide open to a massed flank attack.

Turn 1:

My Orc Boyz turn to face the enemy. My Arrer Boyz (unsurprisingly) do nothing. My Shaman picks whatever the spell is which counts as an orc with choppa charging a unit, and targets the orc boyz squaring up to mine. My strength 4 spell requires 5s to wound the toughness 4 orcs. It does nothing.

Player 2 is caught way out of position on the wrong side of the board, and does nothing.

Player 3 advances, and hits my Arrer Boyz with an unlimited-range, automatically cast with irrestible force Brain Bursta, which kills eight.

Player 4 charges at least 40 inches with his wyvern into the Bret Men at Arms. It chews its way through most of the unit.

Turn 2:

My Orc Boyz charge the enemy orcs. My Arrer Boyz fail to hit anything. My Shaman also fails to score any kills. My orcs are suddenly informed that they are fighting Big Unz, blessed with high strength, high toughness, and excellent armour. My choppas recieve no strength bonus, and I kill one. They strike back, but due to some poor rolling only kill two. My orcs lose, but pass their leadership test.

It is about then that Player 3s little brother drops a book on my Arrer Boyz, destroying them. We decide that this would be a good time to finish, and end the game.

After a few incidents at GW (Rat Ogres charging through walls and around corners into flanks, etc), I decide to broaden out into 40k, and join a gaming club nearby. Unfortunately, I appear to be cursed. I normally have no opponents at all, and those I find I inevitably wish that I hadn't. However, this is a WHFB forum, so my tales of woe and dastardly cheaters in the 41st Millennium will have to wait for another time.

McMullet
27-07-2005, 15:06
That's just evil. What do people gain from pointless cheating like that? You can imagine them leaving the store, "Golly, we sure showed them. What a victory!"

Griefbringer
27-07-2005, 16:15
As there are four players, we decide that we should play a two-on-two allies match. After a brief discussion, I am left with Player 2, while Players 3 + 4 form a grand alliance of green-skinned death. When I asked about this, Player 3 kindly informed me that any army can beat any other army if the player uses tactics.

So it was about 500 points on one side and 4000 points on the other? Doesn't sound exactly like a balanced affair.

Given a similar situation, I would still play - presuming that afterwards we would change sides and play the game again, so that the other guys would really get to show how to utilise tactics.

Brother Frog
27-07-2005, 16:51
A particularly loathesome character I shall refer to simply as "The Welshman" liked to play against small children, and no one but small children. His undead cavalry tended to set up inside hills and/or buildings ("They're ethereal, so they can do it") so they couldn't be attacked/shot/whatever.

He would also "Accidently" measure the distance from the hill/building to various opposing units, and would try to overbear any small child who suggested that he was cheating. The cavalry would apparently move some distance, still not visible on the table, so no one knew quite where they were.

Also, he claimed that said cavalry could charge through enemy units to attack the one he wanted to because they were ethereal.

Oddly, his cavalry were always in range of what they wanted to charge...

He was briefly in our roleplaying group where he continually cheated. That is, until we told him to sling his cheating, smelly hook!

Taldaan
27-07-2005, 22:45
Brother Frog, your Welshman guy is pure evil. So much for supporting the future of the hobby, huh?

Brother Frog
28-07-2005, 00:14
Brother Frog, your Welshman guy is pure evil. So much for supporting the future of the hobby, huh?

Hell, I'm not going to shield his identity any longer. His name is Hayden Pearce, and he's a very fat and dull cheat. He managed to sap the will out of our group until enough was finally enough and he was told to never darken the doors of The Bridge Club (our RPG and wargaming group) EVER again.There.

Rabid Bunny 666
28-07-2005, 00:20
hehe, good on you :D

noone like that in our group, but there is one kid who always challenges rules, always

edit; and Bro Frog, all of 1 post to break, you weak willed individual, you :D

Brother Frog
28-07-2005, 00:48
edit; and Bro Frog, all of 1 post to break, you weak willed individual, you :D

Damn straight, and don't you forget it!

Back when I was a GW manager, if a regular was getting annoying, I would tell the Welshman that the regular wanted to discuss 40K/WFB with him. The regulars soon learned to behave themselves... :evilgrin:

Knight Panther
28-07-2005, 04:11
In the last edition, I fielded my Dark Elf army against an allied Chaos/Wood Elf force.
My opponent insisted he could play his gifts of chaos cards on any of the models on his side, Woodies and Chaos alike.
Cue one incredibly tooled up Orion and Treeman.
I lost that game unsurprisingly.

Errr... was allying Chaos and Wood Elves even legal back then?

I thought it was pretty much "Good guys can only have good ally choices" and "Bad guys can only have bad ally choices"

gortexgunnerson
28-07-2005, 11:17
I can't see the problem here - a Large Target can indeed be seen over interposing models, and all that is required for a charge declaration is that one model can see the target. Assuming that the Dragon lay in the 90 degree arc for at least one Knight Errant, the charge is legal.
You can't blame the Bret player for the Dragon's failure to land in a safe spot.

I think the point is that line of sight is done from the front of a unit, and if he was in the front arch he could be charged if he was a large target or not. The cheating guy was saying that as a large target the models in the back of the lance could see and therefore the uit could charge. Also you can't turn and charge in 1 move

Brother Frog
28-07-2005, 18:12
Errr... was allying Chaos and Wood Elves even legal back then?

Not legal in any way. But when has the issue of illegal armies ever stopped a Beardy from cheating to win?

I recently fought a Grimgor's Ard Boyz list - 2000 points with no less than NINE character slots used in it. It took me a little time to work this out though as he used normal boar rider models, and didn't inform me that his entire front rank were Black Orc heroes until they charged me.

An inspection of his list revealed the cheating (it was also a lot more points than the 2000 points he was supposed to be using) and he was soundly mocked and referred to as a foolish being.

Griefbringer
28-07-2005, 19:18
I recently fought a Grimgor's Ard Boyz list - 2000 points with no less than NINE character slots used in it. It took me a little time to work this out though as he used normal boar rider models, and didn't inform me that his entire front rank were Black Orc heroes until they charged me.

From what bodily orifice did he find those models after the game? :skull:

Atrahasis
28-07-2005, 19:36
I think the point is that line of sight is done from the front of a unit,

LOS is done form the front of a model, not a unit. Its just that normally models in the second rank cannot see past those in front. If the target is Large, then models in the rear rank can see over models in front.

The cheating guy was saying that as a large target the models in the back of the lance could see and therefore the uit could charge.

This is true, and correct.

Also you can't turn and charge in 1 move

You wouldn't need to, as the wheel would be less than half of the Knight's 16" charge move anyway.

mageith
29-07-2005, 12:57
I think the point is that line of sight is done from the front of a unit, and if he was in the front arch he could be charged if he was a large target or not. The cheating guy was saying that as a large target the models in the back of the lance could see and therefore the uit could charge. Also you can't turn and charge in 1 move

Atrahasis is correct IMO. However this topic received heated discussion on another forum and the final concensus (actual consensus) is that though technically correct that application is so odious that only the basest of players would actually attempt or claim it.

Line of sight is actually a MODEL not unit thing (59). A unit does not have line of sight. However, ordinarily models in second rank are blocked by models in the front ran. However models don't block LOS to large targets as Atrahasis points out.

The Bret lance can easily wheel a long distance since its frontage is so narrow (if you only count the movement of the front rank models, another debatable subject).

Mage Ith

Griefbringer
29-07-2005, 13:05
The Bret lance can easily wheel a long distance since its frontage is so narrow (if you only count the movement of the front rank models, another debatable subject).

Which brings into the fray the infamous night goblin "Swing of Doom" tactic that allows them to release fanatics at the enemy on the first turn.

This is usually followed by the other nearby players constructing an impromptu Doom Diver to get rid of the night goblin player.

TeddyC
30-07-2005, 18:45
Which brings into the fray the infamous night goblin "Swing of Doom" tactic that allows them to release fanatics at the enemy on the first turn.

This is usually followed by the other nearby players constructing an impromptu Doom Diver to get rid of the night goblin player.

can you explain how the NG line works... ive seen it once or twice but never on the same battle as me so ive not really paid attention.

Cheers

Griefbringer
30-07-2005, 20:32
For the swing of doom trick, you take a night goblin unit with plenty of fanatics. During deployment phase, you put it to the front of your deployment area in a long line but so that it is phasing sideways (ie. has a flank towards the enemy).

Then on the first turn you wheel that unit - it has a very narrow frontage, so it can easily wheel 90 degrees or more (since the wheeling is technically measured from the front, regardless of the depth - or at least that is what the rules lawyers claim). This leads to the rear end of the formation making a massively long move - equivalent to the lenght of the line (or actually column).

For example 30 long line of night goblins is just nigh short of 24 inches, meaning that if they do that swing the rearmost models are almost in the enemy deployment zone - usually well close enough to release the fanatics, unless the enemy is almost at the rear of the deployment zone.

The purpose of this trick is to get the fanatics quickly to the place where they hurt most, and in a way that is difficult for the enemy to counter-act. Of course the night goblins that acted as the delivery vehicle will have some difficulties doing anything useful directly afterwards, but they are cheap and expendable.

I have never seen this in practice, but I have heard of various graphical descriptions.

Tarax
31-07-2005, 13:17
I would have thought that a model could never move further than its normal move (doubled through marching or charging and random excluded).

In the rules for Fast Cavalry it states that 'no model...can move more than its maximum Move distance...' (p. 117).

And since these are the most agile units in the game I would say it also applies to all other units.

mageith
31-07-2005, 13:25
In the rules for Fast Cavalry it states that 'no model...can move more than its maximum Move distance...' (p. 117).

And since these are the most agile units in the game I would say it also applies to all other units.

That would be a logical conclusion. Need I say more? :)

If that rule were applied to Brets it would make them highly unmaneuverable. That would probably be a good thing.

Mage Ith

Taliesynkp
31-07-2005, 14:52
The thing to remember is that when a Brett unit wheels the back rank of knights doesn't actually swing out to the left or right. Each rank is actually stepping into the hoof-marks of the rank in front and covering exactly the same distance. It is an artifact of the use of movement trays, which are not required, that makes it appear that the back of the unit is kicked out during wheels.

Griefbringer
31-07-2005, 15:57

Of course a true rules lawyer would never let common sense spoil a good argument, and would claim that rule only applied to fast cavalry. :angel:

Kerill
01-08-2005, 04:21
As far as I'm concerned the bretonnian does have to count the movement of his rear end (as it were), so a lance is slightly less manouverable.

On the other hand there are some perfectly legal combos. Phas illumination springs to mind, no daemonic or grail vow character can attack him at all since all their attacks count as magical attacks., great for challenges with a bloodthirster or against a daemon horde army. Against bretonnian the lords their pegasus (or rarely even a horse) can still attack but it still swings things a lot. Of course if your opponent is charging and is wise he weill use his power dice to dispel the spell so its more of a surprise really. Still 2 mages with the spell in a unit and a khornate army will have a hard time dispelling.

TeddyC
01-08-2005, 16:58
Ahhhh... i understand the NG line now! i wasnt thinking it was one rank many models wide. Now i see its a single model per rank..... getcha....

Its a very nasty trick but surely not legal? Im pretty sure that.... as stated..... no model may move further than its normal distance.

Put it this way... id argue it to the death if someone tried it against me!

samw
02-08-2005, 00:26
It is legal as you measure wheels from the furthest corner of the front rank. Of course dice karma should result in his fanatics strangling themselves (and hopefully their owner) with their incredible beards.

Shuya
02-08-2005, 02:06
witch is why you have scouts, that will rlease the fanatics and marchblock a giant line of fanatics

taer
02-08-2005, 03:25
Sadly, not every army has access to a scouting unit.

WhiteStar
02-08-2005, 07:28
That's...evil. Totally against the spirit of the game but still compleatly legal. Hahahaha.

A thing comes to mind from 40k, just mentioning even though it is not completely the right place. A couple of friends came up with a legal army featuring two models. A Daemonprince and a Chaos Lieutnant. Then some daemons, but no means to summon them :) The point is that both characters (with ld 10) took such a huge bunch of the slaanesh minor powers (40 per guy) so that they got the one power they needed for sure. The power prohibits the opponent to shoot or charge you if you pass an ld check. With ld 10 and one re-roll during the game they where nigh invulnerable. Then they had some ridiculous amount of power weapon attacks so that wherever they charged was wiped out before the enemy could charge anyone else in there.

Ridiculous. Two models, and you can't shoot or charge them! Sorry, it was a bit OT - but still a story about the oh so wonderful rulebenders!

gortexgunnerson
02-08-2005, 17:27
For the night goblin swing tactic, I think reform (not the actual reform but general manovre) to with a frontage less then 4 is not allowed. I think this is ignord for game mechanics as would stop a lot of 90 degree turns but if your oppenent is trying something like then all bets are off lol. Can someone check in the big red book for that one.

On the brettonian question with 1 wheel it would be very difficult to charge the correct side of the dragon with only 1 wheel. As you have to get into the correct arch that most of your knights started in.