PDA

View Full Version : Pike & Shotte - the Armie of Sudenland

Gen.Steiner
13-01-2007, 20:08
Hello peoples! Welcome to my second Project Log, and one which I hope to update more frequently than the Fallen Men.

The subject of this log is a 2,000 point Empire Army which I began to collect as part of a proposed series of articles for The Watchman. Sadly, the Tale Of... series was eventually dropped, which left me with 90 worth of Empire troops and a copy of Warhammer Armies: The Empire, and no motivation.

Thankfully, Warseer came to my rescue in the form of an idea! A Pike & Shot army, using Dogs of War and Spearmen... but what state would field such an army? Cue my imagination and my preference for Wissenland:

The year is Imperial Calendar 2522. Karl Franz, Emperor, is busy in the northlands ensuring the security of the Empire following the previous year's Chaos invasion. With the lack of state troops in Wissenland, the Solemn Society has made its move. Led by Count Erich von Stossen und Sudenland, a collection of Wissenland's southern 'old Nobility' who trace their lines back to Solland, has banded together to wrest Solland back from the corrupt grasp of Emmanuelle von Liebwitz. The mercenary trained and backed army of Sudenland marches forth to war with the latest in military tactics. Meanwhile, von Stossen's messengers race to the cities of Wissenland and Sudenland, calling the patriots to arms...

Now, the list!

The Army of Sudenland, IC 2522:

Lord:

Count Erich von Stossen und Sudenland: Full plate, shield, Sword of Righteous Steel - 125 (deploys with the Life Guards)

Heroes:

Viscount Joachim von Lohse: Full plate, sword, pistol, Griffon Standard - 144 (deploys with the White Company)
Freiherr Albrecht auf Hemmsdorf: Full plate, shield sword, pistol, Icon of Magnus - 91 (deploys with the Great Company)
Johann Grenz, Grey Wizard: Sword, Wizard's Staff, Dispel Scroll - 135

Core Units:

First Regiment of Foot: 20 Spearmen with Full Command and a Detachment of 10 Handgunners - 200
Second Regiment of Foot: 20 Spearmen with Full Command and a Detachment of 10 Handgunners - 200
Third Regiment of Foot: 15 Swordsmen with Full Command - 115
Fourth Regiment of Foot: 14 Handgunners, Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle - 137
Sudenland Guards: 15 Halberdiers with Full Command - 95

Special Unit:

The Life Guards: 14 Greatswords with Full Command - 170

Rare Units:

The White Company: 24 Pikemen with heavy armour and Full Command - 294
The Great Company: 24 Pikemen with heavy armour and Full Command - 294

TOTAL POINTS VALUE: 2,000

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00299.jpg
First Regiment of Foote, before I worked out how to rank 'em up. Missing their rear rank and their detachment.

So, enough with the basic background and the list. What you want is pictures! Well, there's one, up there, to keep you busy. So far it's all I've done - but I've enough troopers to produce the following:

40 Spearmen, 30 Handgunners, 10 Swordsmen and 10 Halberdiers.

I will paint each regiment as I make it - so as soon as the First Regiment's detachment's been built, I'll begin painting. Until then, you'll have to make do with this post. :D

Comments and criticism please!

beefpizza
14-01-2007, 01:17
That sure is a lot of foot troops!

What are you going to use as the pikemen? regular DoW ones or converted?

Gen.Steiner
14-01-2007, 01:25
I'm going to use the Regiment of Renown 'Ragged Rico's Republican Guard' figures for both the White and Great Companies. :)

It works out at 34 shot and 132 foot pike/spear/sword/etc with 4 characters for a total of 170 infantry figures.

The ratio of pike to shot is 1:1 (rounded down), which is a bit low - I was hoping for 2:1 - but when you add in all the other close combat units it becomes 4:1 which is much higher..! I think if I add more points and men it'd be more handgunners.

Anyway, that aside, it's UPDATE TIME:

I've finished the first block of 20 spear, and built two of the detachment of handgunners. Hopefully the whole of the First Regiment of Foote will be finished later today, after I've had sleep.

mrtn
14-01-2007, 02:13
Looking forward to some pikemen! :)

Steel_Legion
14-01-2007, 02:43
nice idea, look forward to seeing it develop, like the new spearmen, cant wait for pictures of the new handguns, want to have a closer inspection of them, GWs pictures are a little limited, how are the new empire sculps anyway? so far they look good

CMDante
14-01-2007, 04:29
I finished painting my first new empire mini tonight and I must say I am hugely impressed by the sculpts, lots of nice little details and extras and I feel they have more character than any of the previous empire models. While not quite as poseable as the previous incarnations, its not much of an issue I find.

ON TOPIC:

What is the colour scheme your using for this army? Are you going with the Solland colours from the fluff (cant remember what they are of if there even were any!) or are you using an adaptation of the Wissenland colours?

Cheers,

Dante

Gen.Steiner
14-01-2007, 14:13
nice idea, look forward to seeing it develop, like the new spearmen, cant wait for pictures of the new handguns, want to have a closer inspection of them, GWs pictures are a little limited, how are the new empire sculps anyway? so far they look good

The new figures are very different to the old plastics. They're much, much more 'fantasy' than they are 'Landsknecht. They look a lot poorer, much more devout, and generally like men who've been affected by the bloody huge assault that Chaos made upon their nation.

The new handguns are much heftier than the old - and should probably be fired using rests! I'll show you what I mean a bit later. ;) Overall the new models are fine, although a couple of the heads do look somewhat... lacking... in intelligence. To borrow from DnD, they have Wisdom 6. :p

What is the colour scheme your using for this army? Are you going with the Solland colours from the fluff (cant remember what they are of if there even were any!) or are you using an adaptation of the Wissenland colours?

I couldn't find any reference to Solland's colours, so have decided at the moment to plump either for yellow and white, or for a more disparate army with each soldier wearing different coloured clothes, all tied together by a single colour for the feathers and ribbons. In which case that single colour would probably be green.

I've got a Test Mini to play with, so it's all OK. Pictures later!

Gen.Steiner
15-01-2007, 13:08
Updates!

I have finally finished the First Regiment, and they are now sprayed and awaiting their first coat of paint. I won't bore you with pictures of black-sprayed soldiers, so instead, here are the pictures of them before they got blasted by GW basecoat black.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00308.jpg
Handgunners. Note the chap shaking his fist at the enemy, and the old plastic handgunner to the right of the picture.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00310.jpg
Handgunner comparison: Smaller musket - the old one is a matchlock, the new ones are flint- and wheel-locks - smaller figure. Much less Landsknecht, much more fantasy, is the new style.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00313.jpg
The First of Foote all ranked up... sort of. I adjusted the positions after this was taken to better fit them all together. Note that the front two spearmen have shields in case I ever want to upgrade the regiment to have shields.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00312.jpg
The First of Foote's business end - stay away from the spikes!

Voronwe[MQ]
15-01-2007, 13:31
The new figures are very different to the old plastics. They're much, much more 'fantasy' than they are 'Landsknecht. They look a lot poorer, much more devout, and generally like men who've been affected by the bloody huge assault that Chaos made upon their nation.

The new handguns are much heftier than the old - and should probably be fired using rests! I'll show you what I mean a bit later. ;) Overall the new models are fine, although a couple of the heads do look somewhat... lacking... in intelligence. To borrow from DnD, they have Wisdom 6. :p
True. The new handguns looks more realistic, too. Any simple way to make rests? It'd certainly look good if the whole unit had these. I wonder why GW didn't pass up on the opportunity to give all the handgunners rests.

Next time (if) you buy a plastic box, could you please, before you removes any components, take a shot of each of the different kinds of sprues? I'd want to know, since I believes that there may be enough good spare parts for me to use in 40k. The spears are also much better, I must say.

Good work and keep it up!

Voronwe

Gen.Steiner
15-01-2007, 13:49
;1218254']True. The new handguns looks more realistic, too. Any simple way to make rests? It'd certainly look good if the whole unit had these. I wonder why GW didn't pass up on the opportunity to give all the handgunners rests.

Well, there's one in each box for the Hochland Long Rifle. If you traded you might eventually have enough for a detachment! As far as making them goes, a short length of plastic or metal rod, with a U shape at the top will do. I won't, though, because most musketeers lost theirs on campaign (more to carry around and your weapon wasn't accurate anyway, so why bother?).

;1218254']Next time (if) you buy a plastic box, could you please, before you removes any components, take a shot of each of the different kinds of sprues? I'd want to know, since I believes that there may be enough good spare parts for me to use in 40k. The spears are also much better, I must say.

Photos of the sprues? Sure, but if you take a look at the Warhammer Fantasy Rumour Roundup they should be there... as for 40K spare parts, some of the heads would be good. The powder monkey is just silly, though.

Ornithoticus
15-01-2007, 15:55
looking good, keep it up

CMDante
15-01-2007, 16:02
There are photo's of the sprues up on GW's site in the Warhammer Empire section. There are also photos of every individual piece (painted) in last months WD.

The boyz
15-01-2007, 16:05
Looking good so far Gen.Steiner, nice start. Looking forward to Ricos Republican Guard, they have to be one of my favourites DoW regiments. Good luck.

Captain Brown
15-01-2007, 18:03
Gen.Steiner,

Are you restricting yourself to GW miniatures or have you looked at Foundry miniatures? Their ECW range I believe are fairly comparable and they have some great looking pikemen.

CB

CMDante
15-01-2007, 18:29
Foundry Renaissance pikemen are more fitting with the look of the Empire IMHO. They are about the same scale as the 6th edition mini's but possibly a little smaller than the new 7th edition plastics, though not too noticeably when ranked up with the rest of the army.

Gen.Steiner
15-01-2007, 20:00
Looking good so far Gen.Steiner, nice start. Looking forward to Ricos Republican Guard, they have to be one of my favourites DoW regiments. Good luck.

48 of them! They're easily the coolest of the pike units I think.

Are you restricting yourself to GW miniatures or have you looked at Foundry miniatures?

For this army I'm sticking to GW's figures so that I can use it in their shops. I'll be using Redoubt and Foundry figures for my Empire armies made using the 6th Edition rules and list, which is what I use at home. :)

And now, an Update! :D

This is background wise, so bear with me. I have a lot of respect for the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay background, and had a look at what they say about Solland/Sudenland.

This is what I came up with:

Wissenlanders feel shame at the destruction of Solland, and this crops up in their attitude to life. They will be overall sympathetic to the aims of the Solemn Society, but their nobility may well object to having Wissenland pushed back east across the river Sol. Certainly, the Baroness of Pfeildorf will object to Count von Stossen arriving at the head of an army and saying "Pfeildorf is Sudenlander!"

On the other hand, the locals will be much more inclined to support a traditional old nobleman who's decided to rebuild the ruins of Solland and repopulate it. The Solemn Society is looking forwards while Wissenland stagnates, and it reflects this in its adoption of yellow (for the sun and the bounty of the Sol) and white (purity and lack of corruption) as well as its worship of Taal and Rhya over Sigmar. The peasants, growing middle class, and the various guildsmen all see a good thing coming. The peasants are awed by the presentation of von Stossen's army (clean, gleaming, upright, rich - it's all lies of course), the middle class by the stability and prosperity he offers, and the guilds by the chances for profit and employment.

So - the motto for von Stossen and the Solemn Society: "Vom Sol nach den schwarzen Bergen!" (From the Sol to the Black Mountains!)

As for the actual models, I'm about to put the undercoats on now. :)

ice
16-01-2007, 06:07
you have inspired me to buy a box of empire foot soldiers! the ones in your first post are amazing Gen. Steiner, as a whole the army looks like it's ready to conquer the north lands!

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2007, 06:26
An Update!

Well, I've begun painting only to discover a horrific thing - my Mithril Silver (vital for completion of armour) is 100 miles away in Warwick, so I'll have to buy a new pot today. Oh well.

Anyway, I've done the following:

Painted sections of their clothes in bleached bone, then followed up by highlighting this with skull white and painting flat white over the rest of their uniforms. Over the white sections I paint Golden Yellow followed by Sunburst Yellow and Bad Moon Yellow, and voila! finished uniforms.

The First of Foot have red feathers and ribbons, I've decided. Armour is metalled and polished, and hats, belts, boots etc are brown leathers.

Anyway, some PiP shots:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00315.jpg
The front rank and second rank. All 10 have had their metal basecoated in Boltgun Metal, the shields have been based for white, and the front rankers' clothes have been part based.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00316.jpg
Standard Bearer PiP. I assure you that the red is shaded! :p

ice
16-01-2007, 14:32
looking good so far General! keep it up! and i know how you feel about not having your paint, my blazing orange is in Calgary 8 hours away :(

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2007, 14:42
And doesn't it just suck?

I shall post more pretty pictures later, when hopefully I will have new Mithril Silver and new Kommando Khaki...

Ragnar Ohman
16-01-2007, 14:57
Great with another empire builder :) They are fabolous models to build IMO

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2007, 15:34
My one complaint about the new figures is that their faces make them look like they're all retarded monkeys... :(

On the plus side they're less puffy-sleeved, I'd forgotten what an utter **** that was to paint!

Ragnar Ohman
16-01-2007, 16:12
Hehe....They have no neck either :) I miss the puffs but they have great expressions in their faces though :) What is next on the building part?

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2007, 16:31
Nothing to build for a while, I'm painting each regiment before I build the next. Once this lot are finished it'll be another block of 20 spearmen with 10 handgunners, or my Count, I'm undecided. :)

Ragnar Ohman
16-01-2007, 17:04
Hrummm..go for the block so you have them done!

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2007, 17:38
To be honest I think I'll make the Count, I'll need a break from making and painting spearmen...!

Kotobuki
16-01-2007, 21:42
They're looking good. Trying to paint White and Yellow over black though? You must be quite mad. Seems to me that a White priming would have been a better bet. *shrug* That might just be me though.

Just a note, while the White and Yellow looks good on your guys, generally you'd not have the two quarterd as the Heraldry. White and Yellow (or Silver/Argent and Gold/Or) are the two Metallic tinctures for heraldry, where Black/Sable, Red/Gules, Blue/Azure, Green/Vert, and occasionally Purple/Purpure were the most used Colors. It is generally considered bad form to place a Metal over a Metal, or a Color over a Color.

Gen.Steiner
16-01-2007, 21:50
I really don't like white undercoats, to be honest, and it's not that bad painting white and yellow over black. ;)

I know they're the metals, but you got to admit that it looks good! :D

Gen.Steiner
19-01-2007, 19:03
An Update!

Well, a small one. Photos to come later. At the moment I'm slogging through undercoats - bleached bone painted with white followed by the yellow. I'd forgotten just how much of a pain in the **** painting the ruffed material is!

I'm determined to put a design on the standard bearer, but am at a loss as to what, exactly. I'm tempted to put a scroll surrounding a large '1' with the words 'Vom Sol nach den schwarzen Bergen' in it... not sure tho.

Anyway, photos later. :)

Gen.Steiner
19-01-2007, 23:38
Triple post, but two photos and it is my log. ;)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00319.jpg
Photo one: The front two ranks, with their yellow and white almost done. Yellow needs highlighting and there are a few bits of touching up to do, otherwise that's that.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00320.jpg
Photo two: As above, from above.

Next on the list is to do the red detailing, then all the leather. After that, spearhafts painted black, skin, and basing.

Once I've done those, I'll do the first five handgunners, then the remaining spearmen, then the last handgunners, then - then! - I'll make the next unit or first character.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

Stouty
20-01-2007, 00:32
Absolutely love the army and would love to play the finished thing in the field but really man, would a cannon kill you. Your deployment zone is going to be crammed full of block infantry a little bit of dragon busting will go a long way, and it's not like a tiny section of field artillary would be so insane.

Also you should rename that unit "The Eggy Soldiers".

Gen.Steiner
20-01-2007, 00:56
The proposed changes to the list so far run as follows:

1) Dropping the front rank of the Swordsmen and making them a detachment for the Halberdiers.
2) Mounting von Stossen on a barded horse.
3) Replacing the Life Guard with the Inner Circle or the Order of the Green Man, and putting Stossen in them.

No room for a cannon yet I'm afraid, but the list is still being shuffled about. :)

Gen.Steiner
20-01-2007, 14:22
A Minor Update:

I've dabbled with the list quite a lot, reducing it from 170 foot to 146 foot, 6 knights and 2 cannon.

The new, updated, list follows:

Lord:

Count Erich von Stossen und Sudenland: Full plate, shield, barded warhorse, Sword of Righteous Steel - 146

Heroes:

Viscount Joachim von Lohse: Full plate, sword, pistol, Battle Standard of Sudenland - 89
Freiherr Albrecht auf Hemmsdorf: Full plate, shield, sword - 60
Johann Grenz, Grey Wizard: Sword, Wizard's Staff, Talisman of Protection, Dispel Scroll - 150

Core Units:

First Regiment of Foot: 19 Spearmen with Full Command and a Detachment of 10 Handgunners - 195
Second Regiment of Foot: 19 Spearmen with Full Command and a Detachment of 10 Handgunners - 195
Sudenland Guards: 20 Halberdiers with Full Command and a Detachment of 10 Swordsmen - 180
Third Regiment of Foot: 10 Handgunners with a Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle - 105
Fourth Regiment of Foot: 10 Handgunners with a Marksman with Repeater Handgun - 100

Special Units:

The Inner Circle of the Order of the Green Man: 5 Knights with Full Command - 170
Hannah: A Great Cannon - 100
Wrath of Rhya: A Great Cannon - 100

Rare Unit:

The Great Company: 35 Pikemen with Heavy Armour and Full Command - 410

TOTAL POINTS VALUE: 2,000

CMDante
20-01-2007, 18:35
While I don't like to bring army list discussion into painting forums, I feel compelled to tell you that 5 inner circle knights isn't really worth it since a single casualty will seriously hamper their combat effectiveness and they will be a target for a large amount of your opponents ranged weaponry. I would drop some pikemen (perhaps down to 25) and take a couple more knights in their place.

The painting so far is hard to cast judgement on since it is still in the early stages, however it seems to be shaping up quite well.

Cheers,

Dante

Gen.Steiner
20-01-2007, 18:46
Hm. Well, it might be back to the Greatswords then. ;)

The Cannon are staying tho', as is the huge unit of Pikemen! More pictures of painted stuff will be posted a bit later.

Gen.Steiner
21-01-2007, 21:30
OK, this is the reason my painting's coming along slower than I would've liked:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/LOL.jpg

Unreal Tournament, the demo! ;) I'm averaging 50 kills to no deaths against Experienced bots, and - as the above screenshot shows - am doing rather well against Novice bots...

Anyway, the Empire figures. Well, the red's done, the yellow's done, the white's done - all that's left are shoes, leather and hats - then blades and armour. Skin is an obvious one.

Here are two pictures of the front rank:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00321.jpg
From the front

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00324.jpg
From the side, so you can see their individualised colour schemes a bit better.

Gen.Steiner
21-01-2007, 21:32
And now the second rank:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00322.jpg
Front...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00323.jpg
...and side.

Thoughts? Comments? Support? Insults? All welcome! :p

Destris
21-01-2007, 21:34
Looking good Steiner. Any plans for the bases yet? :)
Steve

PS: I went by your advice and have ordered a squad of Krieg Grenadiers to use as induced troops in my Elysians :). Thanks again.

Gen.Steiner
21-01-2007, 21:52
The bases will be the usual green with static flock on 'em. Nothing adventurous in other words! I don't really like big super-detailed bases on my WFB stuff, they detract from the Big Regiment style.

Glad to hear your Elysians have Death Korps support, too. ;)

Ornithoticus
21-01-2007, 22:20
looking good, nice neat scheme

Gen.Steiner
21-01-2007, 22:24
Sadly the flash on my camera is washing out the pics, I'll try and resolve that.

Hopefully the next pic will be of 10 almost-finished figures awaiting only the highlights on their metal bits. :)

ice
22-01-2007, 02:08
ilove the models! which set is that? I'm enjoying the colour scheme as well Gen.

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2007, 02:14
The models are spearmen from the Empire Detachment box. Glad you like the scheme, I'm rather pleased with it myself!

Lord Solar Plexus
29-01-2007, 15:35
Very nice, really. I like those colours, too!

I'm determined to put a design on the standard bearer, but am at a loss as to what, exactly. I'm tempted to put a scroll surrounding a large '1' with the words 'Vom Sol nach den schwarzen Bergen' in it... not sure tho.

Grammatically correct would be "Vom Sol bis zu den schwarzen Bergen".

'Nach' is a tad colloquial. I would expect such an expression in the Ruhr area, though it could possibly be read as an antiquated form.

Luthien
18-02-2007, 15:42
cool i like the use of DoW

lilljonas
18-02-2007, 17:55
Interesting army and nice fluff! I'm currently learning how daunting it can be to paint huge amounts of infantry, so good luck with your units. I'm aiming for a rather similar army (pike and shot), but haven't built an army list yet. Just watching that list brings cramps to my hands! :cries:

Anardakil
18-02-2007, 18:49
Hey there! Nice to see some more imperial troops on this forum. I like them and I'm looking forward to seeing them finished. You're pretty courageous with your colour scheme! white and especially yellow are the colours most people have trouble with, but you seem to be handling the colours quite nicely. I'd like some more contrast in the shades though.

Yay you're playing the old Unreal Tournament! :D That's an awesome game, one of my favourites. It's still very good to this day. Nice to see you enjoying it.
Ok, bragging time: I eat godlike bots for breakfast XD

Gen.Steiner
19-02-2007, 01:00
Heh, well, I've a way to go before I eat godlike bots for anything, let alone breakfast.

The Pike & Shotte are getting a colour-change, I'm swapping the white for grey. This gives Sudenland/Solland a grey/yellow colour, which is pretty cool.

I've also built my general and started on the BSB - pics to follow later today.

Arhalien
20-02-2007, 17:54
hmm, curse, I forgot to subscribe to this when it first came. I'm subscribing now (always good to see fantasy here) and I;d like to say good work so far :)

Gen.Steiner
20-02-2007, 17:54
Thank you - and I promise, those pics WILL be up later today! They will.

Arhalien
20-02-2007, 17:57
Hmm, are we going to have to turn Steiner's threats of inqusitorial wrath back on him?

Time to call the the men with the excrutiators I think :p

Gen.Steiner
20-02-2007, 17:58
Aiee! I'll update! I'll update! Just... not the excruciators!

Arhalien
20-02-2007, 18:04
haha! Revenge at last!

I'll never forget that last session you booked me in for with the inqusitors! I had to wait four hours foir my appointment because they overran. Apparently someone took longer than expected to die during torturing. Honestly, you just get the feeling that sometimes the just don't care about you!

:confused:

lilljonas
20-02-2007, 18:11
Yes, we want updates! I demand woods of pointy things and clouds of gunsmoke!

Anardakil
20-02-2007, 19:54
Heh, well, I've a way to go before I eat godlike bots for anything, let alone breakfast.

The Pike & Shotte are getting a colour-change, I'm swapping the white for grey. This gives Sudenland/Solland a grey/yellow colour, which is pretty cool.

I've also built my general and started on the BSB - pics to follow later today.

Hehe you'll be there one day you know, if you don't quit :)

Ooh, cool. I don't think I've seen the grey+yellow combination before.

Arhalien
20-02-2007, 19:56
Steiner, I;m wondering why you didn;t do this over a white basecoat? Given the predominance of white and yellow wouldn;t paiting on white have been a lot easier?

Gen.Steiner
21-02-2007, 11:32
Grey and white - it was a flash of inspiration while lying in bed, and, no, there's no other province or city-state in the Empire with grey and yellow. :D

Undercoat - I prefer black as it covers a multitude of sins and enables me to avoid having to paint metal things black first and so on and so forth. I just prefer black undercoats, really.

The Judge
21-02-2007, 12:41
Loving the Unreal Tournament score... it's my bane as well.

Good scheme so far on the Empire... but why the hate for the puffy sleeves> I miss them badly.

Gen.Steiner
21-02-2007, 15:33
Right, at last, some eye candy! Not much at the moment I'm afraid, but it'll whet your appetite I'm sure. :)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00493.jpg
Above: Count Erich von Stossen und Sudenland with his Sword of Righteous Steel raised above his head to encourage his men on to glory.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00494.jpg
Above: Viscount Joachim von Lohse - work in progress. Can you tell? I want to give him a GS sash to cover over a rather hideous gap where I had to hack off his right shoulder to get the sword-arm to fit, and also to try and work in his holster (which is stuck kind of to his back/left hip) in a more... organic manner.

Next up is getting the grey painted over the white and then finishing that regiment I started months ago, and doing some work on the characters.

Gen.Steiner
25-02-2007, 22:44
Viscount von Lohse is finished! Well, at least he's been built. I gave him a sash, a head, and a flag (design to be finalised) and am debating whether or not to alter the top of the flagpole or just leave it as a spike. Thoughts?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00619.jpg
His front - note the tough-as-nails look on his face and the nice big bow on his sash.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00620.jpg
His back - note pistol (it's a wheel-lock, those are expensive!) and the sash again.

The standard is going to be grey with a yellow sun, with Taal and Rhya on either side of that, and above (or below?) this montage will be a scroll reading: SUDENLAND in gothic script. Now all I need to do is find out what Taal and Rhya look like...

CMDante
25-02-2007, 22:53
Ummm....are there supposed to be pics here?

Gen.Steiner
25-02-2007, 23:00
Yes. Photobucket is bloody useless, I tell you, useless!

EDIT:

Ah, there we go. Pictures!

ice
26-02-2007, 03:42
what is the flag made out of, and what diameter brass rod did you use?

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 09:16
The flag is made out of a piece of paper (to be exact, it's part of an London School of Economics' Labour Party Society leaflet declaring George Galloway to be a tit) and the brass rod is in fact a Wargames Foundry pike. You can buy about 100 or so of these for 8 from Wargames Foundry.

McMullet
26-02-2007, 10:00
The flag is ... leaflet declaring George Galloway to be a tit
I hope that's going to appear on the painted version along with all the Sudenland stuff. ZOMG P&R!

I'm really liking the look of the characters, but I really want to see these speardudes with faces. I've been keeping an eye on this thread but I find it hard to judge a paintjob without faces!

The sash and bow look good, but I could do with some more lighting to make them out properly. Have you tried Picasa to fix your contrast?

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 10:04
Picasa? :confused: Never even heard of it, let alone used it! :p

As far as the spearmen go, hopefully I will have new pictures of them up in a few hours if all goes well.

McMullet
26-02-2007, 11:17
Here you go: http://picasa.google.com/

Instructions

1. Download
2. Install and open
3. Find picture
4. Click "I'm feeling lucky!"
(5. Picasa only fired 5 shots. Your head is blown clean off.)

If you're feeling adventurous you can use the tuning options to increase fill light (this is normally the most important thing to do) and highlights, and also correct the white balance if necessary (though it looks right in those pictures).

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 11:51
Cheers - I'll try it out with the next picture. Looks useful! :D

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 12:53
Picasa = fantastic.

Here's my first 100% finished figure for the Armie of Sudenland, a handgunner from the 1st Regiment of Foote's detachment. Thoughts?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/Handgunner.jpg

Arhalien
26-02-2007, 13:22
Yes. Photobucket is bloody useless, I tell you, useless!

EDIT:

Ah, there we go. Pictures!

It's still useless :)

That finished handgunner looks nice; I thought that in the other pics the painting looked a bit messy but that finished handgunner is very smooth. I look forward to more :D

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 14:20
Hehe, my painting is hideously sloppy until I finish - thanks for the compliments tho', they're always much appreciated.

CMDante
26-02-2007, 14:34
Nice looking standard of painting for this army, I have to agree with Arhalien, I thought from the WIP they would be a little messy but clearly not the case!

The base lets it down a wee bit in my opinion, the sand could do with being painted and I've never been a fan of flock, of course this is just personal opinion.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers,

Dante

McMullet
26-02-2007, 14:34
Hooray, some flesh at last, even if I can't really see the face... :p Jolly nice work there, the colours are very crisp and clean.

I'm not keen on the base though, it doesn't come up to the realistic standard of the rest of the model. I think black/brown edges and static grass (preferably painted sand, too) would improve the model no end.

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 14:39
Well, as far as basing goes, I'm stuck with the stuff I've got at the moment as I'm suffering a severe fund-shortage and all my proper stuff is 100 miles away in Warwickshire. :p

I will experiment with painting the sand, but I usually prefer green edging to black or brown. The flock isn't the best (normally I use railway modeller's flock) but it's what I've got.

McMullet, a face you can see will show up soon - I promise! ;)

Arhalien
26-02-2007, 20:53
Hehe, my painting is hideously sloppy until I finish - thanks for the compliments tho', they're always much appreciated.

hehe, I know the feeling; Mine tend to look bad until I;ve touched up all the mistakes I;ve made :)

Gen.Steiner
02-03-2007, 16:49
Some painting in progress pictures - five handgunners from the First of Foote and the Battle Standard Bearer.

His undershirt will be red, and I'm going to tidy up the armour eventually.

Handgunners:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/Handgunners.jpg

Von Lohse:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/PIPBSB.jpg

Thoughts? :)

Arhalien
02-03-2007, 17:23
Ah, more progress :)

Bit messy, but you explained that above :p
I'm not too sure about the huge variety of patterns on the models; I would think it would look better just one pattern for each regiment; it could be an additional way of telling the regiments apart.

I look forward to more :)

Gen.Steiner
02-03-2007, 17:26
If I paint them with the same pattern I will go insane. :) Besides, I like the look of lots of different styles of uniform drawn together by the colours. And yes, they are a bit messy aren't they...! :p

ice
09-03-2007, 22:15
I love the way the riflemen are turnig out Gen. looking good!

Darknight
10-03-2007, 01:17
Great models! When I first saw the BSB the sword blurred out of my vision - it is out of focus and is lying alongside his armoured leg. It looked like he was grabbing his crotch suggestively.

"Hey, ladies! There's nothing standard about my banner!" etc. etc.

Gen.Steiner
10-03-2007, 01:24
Knowing von Lohse, I wouldn't put it past him... ;)

Progress has been made, I just haven't photographed it, because I am the lose. I will rectify this situation this weekend. :)

Rogue 7
10-03-2007, 02:01
General, the models look great. However, the black casing on the handgunners seems out of place to me- it suggests plastic, a material that I doubt was available to the Empire. Might I suggest a nice wood finish?

Gen.Steiner
10-03-2007, 02:12
All the wood's been painted black to signify the shame of the loss of Solland. That, and it's easier to mass-paint black wood than it is to do wood grain...! :p

(I may relent when it comes to the backs of shields though, we shall see.)

Rogue 7
10-03-2007, 02:24
A fluff explanation to explain real-life laziness? I love it!:p
Seriously, the models look great. You're insane to try and paint that many, but they look great.

Gen.Steiner
10-03-2007, 02:31
Having painted Imperial Guardsmen for some years, I am no stranger to the horde army.

No, save your pity for the Napoleonic wargamer, whose army might consist of some 2-300 foot, before allowing for cavalry and artillery...!

Commisarlestat
31-03-2007, 22:25
Pity is indeed due to my napoleonic 15mm.
Love the models, those foundry pikes are just right. When you put them on the regiment be careful with the weight. My guys have to stand in a rockery just to not fall over. coins under the bases would be great but unfortunately 5p's are the only ones small enough so it would add a few quid on. I've used stones on the backs of the bases but im sure there are other methods!

Just a thought how are the sword arms against cadians size wise?
I'm always on the look out for new swords you see...

A

Gen.Steiner
01-04-2007, 23:38
Pity is indeed due to my napoleonic 15mm.

Pity pity pity pity. :p You brought it on yourself, you Grande Armee loon! ;)

Love the models, those foundry pikes are just right. When you put them on the regiment be careful with the weight.

Well, only von Lohse will have the Foundry pike - the rest of my pikemen will be GW ones so only he has to worry about falling over. I think a 1p bit will work, but at the moment he seems stable.

Just a thought how are the sword arms against cadians size wise?
I'm always on the look out for new swords you see...

Not sure, I've not checked. Should be OK, but their arms will need some alteration to fit the Cadian shoulderpad and stuff.

he gen pls do yourself a favour and either get the P3 variant of bleached bone or the new Denib stone from the Foundations paints. I can imagine that painting your entire army with bleached bone like that is going to cost sooo much time.

The yellow's gone, and the bleached bone is staying - the Foundation paints are extortionate, even for GW, and I'd rather not give them any more money than I absolutely have to. Ta for the thought, though. :) It's appreciated!

Ravenstien
28-04-2007, 23:42
Nice painting work, but I still maintain that grey/blue and yellow don't go together...they don't clash, but they don't go either...

Gen.Steiner
28-04-2007, 23:45
Maintain it all you like, I ain't changing it. :p

Luthien
01-05-2007, 21:41
damn you steiner!! Update you cur or i shall bombard your house with a great cannon :evilgrin:

Gen.Steiner
01-05-2007, 21:45
Hey, it's only been two months since the last update, it's not that long. :angel:

lilljonas
01-05-2007, 21:48
More pikes and less excuses! :)

Luthien
28-05-2007, 15:47
this demand for progress can see my other and let me tell you that great cannon is getting closer ...

Anardakil
12-12-2007, 17:11
Hmm the province of Sudenland? There was an elector count of Sudenland in The Vampire Genevieve. Why does it not exist anymore? Was it part of Solland or something?

brambleten
12-12-2007, 18:59
good to see the General has stayed with the little horde of men that becomes the IG, if they were in the same universe 38K years later

scarletsquig
13-12-2007, 20:03
Wow,another person starting a Sudenland army. :D

I'm building one at the moment, too.. it appealed to me as a province that didn't have too much in the way of a set history, so I could do what I want with it. Wasn't too keen on any of the official provincial colour schemes, either.

I like the sound of efforts being made to reclaim Solland,and a rebellion against the countess of wissenland. Nice take on the background.

Sudenland seems to have been ignored in the main background recently, but it's mentioned a lot in WHFRP. You may find this page on Crtical Hit (http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/content/view/94/52/1/12/) interesting, and I also found up a map of the place:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/Zmithy/Sudenlandcopy.gif

I couldn't find any reference to Solland's colours, so have decided at the moment to plump either for yellow and white

Well, they're apparently brown and yellow, but I didn't like the sound of that, so I'm going for a dark flesh/ beige scheme on mine with yellow ribbons/etc.

Gen.Steiner
14-12-2007, 15:36
Well, they're apparently brown and yellow, but I didn't like the sound of that, so I'm going for a dark flesh/ beige scheme on mine with yellow ribbons/etc.

Hurrah! Thank you for the map and the colour scheme. I'm going to go for brown and yellow because that sounds rockin'.

@ Anardarkil - Solland was destroyed by an Orc Waaagh! and the territory was claimed by Wissenland.