PDA

View Full Version : Is this beardy? (750)

Reflex
14-01-2007, 02:16
now i am new to fantasy so keep that in mind.

so i havent gone out and spent a ton of money (yet... :) ), right now i am just geting ideas of what i want, making sure i know the rules and how they work. i am using a dodgy empire army atm to get exsperience.

so i am making some army lists.

now i was thinking something like this at 750 points.

Bretonnian

Hero
Battle Standard
Barded Bretonnian Warhorse
Total: 74

Paladin
Knights Vow
Royal Pegasus
The Heartwood Lance
Total: 145

Core
Knights of the Realm
8 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
Total: 216

Peasant Bowmen
16 Peasant Bowmen
Total: 96

Men at Arms
10 Men at Arms
Total: 50

Special Units
Pegasus Knights
3 Pegasus Knights
Gallant
Total: 165

now if i was facing this list i would think that i would lose as of turn 1 simply because there is a paladin on a pegasus with a retinue if you like, of another 3 pegasus knights.

then there are the knights on the ground. with would be joined by the battle standard.

so those 2 units there, to me, seem to be fiarly unbeatable at this points level. because then there is the bowmen. i know they are you run of the mill missile troops, but bowmen can be nasty.

the men at arms, me thinks, makes it seem less of a beardy list by having this mega dodge unit randomly thrown in. (thinking about a damsel instead (shifting some points around to fir her in, but none the less.)

so like i said, if i was facing this on the battlefield, i would be thinking incredibly hard, on how i can move around to beat it.

so i am thinking that this would be quite a beardty list. becasue really the only thing that makes it "beardy" are the pegasus knights. so...

am i right?

now i really do like pegasus knights, not for there rules, but for there models. IMHO bretonnians have one of the best (if not the) minitures range avaliable for fantasy, and that was one of the factors that drew me to them. so i am not having them in there for higher tactical advantage, i am having them tehre because they are 1) in the batallion box and 2) i really do like the models.

so whats the general thought?

vampires are cool!
14-01-2007, 10:08
I dont think its that Beardy. Admittadly at that points level four flying models can put a crimp in anyones style, so the army may be considered a bit hairy by some. I would be happy to play you with this army on the other hand.

Krankenstein
14-01-2007, 10:19
Very effective list certainly. But the general is flying around out of unit, so a well placed bolt could kill him.

Reflex
14-01-2007, 11:19
Very effective list certainly. But the general is flying around out of unit, so a well placed bolt could kill him.

i though pegesus knights were quite hard to kill by missile fire... maybe i am wrong.
well its good to know its not beardy, i am fine with hairy, like ya nan, but i think this will go into practice.

cheers

Krankenstein
14-01-2007, 14:40
i though pegesus knights were quite hard to kill by missile fire...

Sure, but a paladin on a pegasus may be a knight on a pegasus. But he ain’t no pegasus knight, so no save 3+ to him. Anyway the bolt I was talking about was of the s6, d3, no save kind. The kind that can kill a pegasus or paladin in one shot.

Van Holland
15-01-2007, 01:54
but if the character joins the unit.....won't they protect the character? and the paladin on the pegasus shoudl get a 3+ save....

Heavy Armour +2
Shield +1
Mounted +1

That looks like a 3+ to me.....that is if he pays the couple points to give him the shield.....

Makarion
15-01-2007, 02:23
Might as well give him the enchanted shield, it's all of 10 points (not much more than a regular shield). It puts him at a nifty 2+ save, too.

Reflex
15-01-2007, 04:41
Might as well give him the enchanted shield, it's all of 10 points (not much more than a regular shield). It puts him at a nifty 2+ save, too.

i would but it puts me 6 points over, so i could loose a bowmen or take the shield...... difficult situation.

i wasent looking to much for upgrades for the hero, as it is only 750 points.

Van Holland
15-01-2007, 05:49
well....i think that the encahnted shield will do alot more than a bowman.....really. I would do it. And characters at that low of games do alota damage....and giving him 10 points of protection isnt too much.

Reflex
15-01-2007, 06:48
well....i think that the encahnted shield will do alot more than a bowman.....really. I would do it. And characters at that low of games do alota damage....and giving him 10 points of protection isnt too much.

i know... i was being sarcastic... not difficult at all... i may be new, but not stupid.

Krankenstein
15-01-2007, 15:42
but if the character joins the unit.....won't they protect the character? and the paladin on the pegasus shoudl get a 3+ save....

P 59 second column, last paragraph: “No additional +1 is added to the rider’s save, as the advantages of riding a monster is worked out in other ways instead.” A royal Pegasus is a monster, not a mount, with its 3 wounds.

P 69 second column, fourth paragraph: “Characters can never join units of flyers, even if they ride flying creatures or are capable of flight themselves.”

Reflex
15-01-2007, 22:29
P 59 second column, last paragraph: “No additional +1 is added to the rider’s save, as the advantages of riding a monster is worked out in other ways instead.” A royal Pegasus is a monster, not a mount, with its 3 wounds.

P 69 second column, fourth paragraph: “Characters can never join units of flyers, even if they ride flying creatures or are capable of flight themselves.”

must of missed that one... cheers