PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Look on WE - 2K

Akuma
14-07-2005, 17:07
OK - The chalange was to build an army that will be able to be competative in tournament enviorment. This Army list tries to cover most bases and have a response for major tournament nastines. If you use it in future call it Soulless army as it is my former nick ;).

On with the show ...

Before the list lets look on the units and combinations that hurt WE planty.

Dragons - Obvious reason - not much to counter them and breatch attack can be very unplesant especialy for skirmishing units.

Magic - Magic missiles are THE bane of WE army - will kill you'r expensive units in one go ( or render them usless )

Shooty , Defensive armys - usualy have magic themselves ( empire ) and lods of mashines to make you'r live a missery ( mortars , hellblasters , gyrocopters and stuff comes to mid rattling guns to :) ) coupled with lods of archers , handgunner of their own can make you'r day a real sad one.

Well I think that the list I've made has a solution ( better or worse for all the problems described above ).

The thing to keep in mid when reading throught is - VP denial - it was and i dare to say is THE way that WE are ment to be played. Everything in the list below is fast , skirmishes or cheep enought to sacrifice itself to buy you an extra turn of calm. It's hard to master but i've developed it throughtout silly number ofa games gradualy getting it should look like it looks now.

And as a final note - everything written Above AND Below - is just my idea and point of view - I'm not trying to say that I'm the ultimate oracle or anything like that - so don't flame me if you get such impression.

1 Spellweaver @ 325 Pts
General; Magic Level 4; Longbow
Dispel Scroll [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]
Ranu's Heartstone [20]

Life Lore - scroll caddie and overall a demage dealer with spells like master of wood , stone - or annoyance remower with father of torn ( you have 4 rolls so you will hit something from 3 above ). And supportive role with rain lord and howler wind - letting you shoot at the enemy unmolested.

1 Alter Noble @ 151 Pts
Alter; Great Weapon; Longbow; Light Armour
Hunter's Talon [25]
Pageant of Skrikes [25]

Sniper , CR booster , Fleer , annd generaly VERY VERY versile character.

1 Branchwraith @ 135 Pts
Lore of Athel Loren; Magic Level 1
Cluster of Radiants [25]

2DD Giver - you could say a better and of course much more expensive version of power famillar - boosts dryad power and helps with the magic phase.

2x10 Glade Guard @ 240 Pts
Longbow

Weeken the enemy before he gets to you and lure him of the more expensive stuff
can also reform in 5x2 formation and flankcharge enemy to deny rank bonus

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Spear; Longbow; Musician

The flankers and fleers - serve multiply purposes can even mage hunt if absolutly nececery but main function is taking of the enemy ranks.

2x6 Scouts @ 204 Pts
Longbow

Archers thats one part - The Fleers of 4 charge combo thats the second - but most off all march hiderers - buing you time to weeken the enemy and set up the chargers on positions.

2x8 Dryads @ 192 Pts

Screens for wardancers and mage protectors - Brenchwraith goes with one unit and helps with CR - other than that Front chargers in 4 unit combo

2x6 Wardancers @ 216 Pts
Wardancer Weapons

Vital Part of the army - the size may seem strange to you - i run them in units of 9 at first - then in units of seven - but after 4 games with this size i think it just perfect for them - easy to hide them - easy to manuver and you wont ever get more then 6 of them in CC ( positioning ) + if something acctualy hits them - thay will be uselss anyway. Thay are flank chargers anyway so the size of the unit doesnt realy matter as with high I there wont be any one to stricike them back anyhow.

Also serve as the Main CR Giver in my 4 unit charge combo.

2 Warhawk Riders @ 140 Pts
Spear; Longbow
1 Wind Rider @ [20] Pts

The mage killers - the Wind Rider may seem strange but the extra attack is a havens blessing when you directing you'r attacks aginst a mage in the unit - it can be the coffin nail for enemy scroll caddie.

5 Wild Riders @ 148 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Standard; Musician

Vital point of WE army - thay boost CR but also dany ranks and give Wardancers a standar.

5 Waywatchers @ 120 Pts
2ndWeapon; Longbow

Dragon killers :D - Overall annoyence and warmachine hunters with this unit size cheep and deadly - but as always kind of a gamble.

Ok now on to the Plan

First I'll tell you how this army covers the 3 points mentioned above.

1) A Very tricky way to deal with dragon problem. Waywatchers can be placed in his LoS more then 18" away - you just put them straight 19" away from him and so the flee line dont take you of the board. Then if 1 turn is your's you just move 4" and shoot with KB hitting on 2+. What so special about it then ???
Chances that you kill a dragon mounted lord are VERY small - but no players i know will take any chances - and if he likes to gamble simply don't give him better targets in his 20" charge range
With 5" movment its exactly 20" killing blow range - the trick is to annoy the dragon and count that you'r enemy will make a mistacke of charging you and then fleeing and charging him with wardancers - then you do KB dance and pray.
It's the best way to do it belive me.

2) MageHammer armys can be VERY unplesant for 3DD 2Scrolls army - if lets say 2d6 s4 magic missile hits your unit it will be either dead or unusable and armys that rely on magic tend to abuse such spells and bound items. With this rooster you have 6DD - a fair amount i would say and most of all you have 2 scrolls in addition to that. You also have great mage killing tools in the person of alter or warhawks ( and if desperate wild riders and glade riders ). With this build up you can even hunt lone mages that seek shelter BEHIND their units ( Waywathers + lore of life spells )

3) Thats why you take 4Lvl mage lord , and boost your dices to 7 with dryad hero. Defensive armys rely on shooting - Normaly with life lore you have three spells that can make shooty army's life a mess. Well with extra wood placing WE boost that number to 4 - master of wood , stone , howller and rainlord - most of warmashines are placed on hills co thay can get better LoS and so on - if enemy knows you can take life lore he will think a few times before placing his stuff on hill - and thats what you want - if he doesnt do it he's shooters will be volnurable to aireal charges and will heve worse LoS so you can avoid them. - Mage lets you sit back and blast away at them whitch is the thing you want to do with elves genneraly.

The Fighting goes with combining the 4 units movment - dryads , cavalrys scauts and wardancers -

1) Scauts Flee from enemy charge OR when you know that you wont have the charge distance form dryads plced behind the scouts - stand and shoot ( then gets killed and enemy either overruns or gets charged by dryads )
2) Dryad unit behind the scauts either charges OR Holds and gets banged by overuning enemy
3) You charge with Wardancers from one side ( in you'r turn - charges form overun are resolved in your CC phase )
4) You charge Wild ridders , Glade ridders ( or Glade Guard formed 5x2 if desperate )

- Not many units will survive something like that -
1) No ranks for them
2) You can Ountnumber
3) You have Flank charge and in case of wild ridders even standar
4) You get HUGE CR form killing and he gets crappy even if he charged dryads ( because of T and ward save )

--- General Plan - Snipe , Warhawk - enemy mages - dominate the magic phase and set up the combined assult for the enemy - wait for him weeken with arrows and then dance on his grave :skull:

Casting Pool: 7

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 81

Total Army Cost: 2000

So what do you think ???

DisturbeD_
14-07-2005, 20:19
that sounds very impressive, how ever i have never played with WE or an army like them before so i wouldnt have a good idea how'd they fair up relisticly, just i think 6-7 dispel dice just sometimes is not enoughf, well round my area the armys either have no magic or way too much of it :(

Naghaz
14-07-2005, 21:41
that sounds very impressive, how ever i have never played with WE or an army like them before so i wouldnt have a good idea how'd they fair up relisticly, just i think 6-7 dispel dice just sometimes is not enoughf, well round my area the armys either have no magic or way too much of it :(

Yeah Soulless and I have commented about this before as well, particularly in the earlier incarnation of this list. Around here armies are either packed with magic or show up with a caddy. This army is a hybrid that counts on strong defense against magic to allow time for the mage killers to turn the tide. It also provides enough dice to get one spell through a turn (generally).

It's hard for me to comment too much on the list as it's so dramatically different than anything I've played (not to mention the new rules are, well, new :). The things that stand out as flaws are obvious, and you already know about them so I won't rehash them all. I think the number one thing any competitive army needs is a solid game plan. I know they go to hell the moment the first turn is over but if an army is designed with a purpose, and works hard at achieving it, the army will be competitive. Your list, while different, has a purpose and an edge. You have a solid number of units and figures for an elite army, you have decent magic, you have solid magic defense, and you have some great archers.

I do believe however that you will have some trouble with certain lizard man armies, Tzeentch armies (horrors can do some big damage to T3 infantry), and of course SAD. That said, most armies have trouble with two of those armies and yours has a better chance than many against either.

Get some games in with the list and maybe write up a couple of battle reports? I'd love to read them. Also, since you regularly get attacked for your English feel free to send me any battle reports ahead of time and I'll gladly go over them for you first.

Xavier
14-07-2005, 22:08
1) A Very tricky way to deal with dragon problem. Waywatchers can be placed in his LoS more then 18" away - you just put them straight 19" away from him and so the flee line dont take you of the board. Then if 1 turn is your's you just move 4" and shoot with KB hitting on 2+. What so special about it then ???

You do know kb only works on man size models?

Tarion
14-07-2005, 22:23
Yes, i believe he is talking about killing the man on top.

Naghaz
14-07-2005, 22:36
You do know kb only works on man size models?

He knows, he even mentions it;

"Chances that you kill a dragon mounted lord are VERY small - but no players i know will take any chances - and if he likes to gamble simply don't give him better targets in his 20" charge range"