PDA

View Full Version : Conquest of the moon

Lavadude360
15-01-2007, 15:32
Ok it seems that soon we will have a perminant base on the moon with all the stuff NASA have been saying:D

so in 40K fluff when do we start our journey into the stars?

P.S. shall us warseers declare the moon part of the imperium of man

P.S.S dont give me any NASA have been saying that for the last 40 years either!!

Hideous Loon
15-01-2007, 16:33
Well, I would say that Luna is first to be colonised, it is the closest astronomical body after all. It would be a great base for further colonisation, no atmosphere and lots and lots of land.

Light of the Emperor
15-01-2007, 16:34
IIRC, Mars was terraformed around M23.
Mankind went out into the universe and encountered their first enemy: the orks. After many planets were colonized, earth was covered in warp storms that caused communications to break down and wreaked massive havoc amongst human populations.
When the storms cleared due to the birth of Slaneesh, mankind set out to regain what it had lost. At the forefront of the great crusade was the Emperor and his primarchs.

So anywhere between now and the 23rd Millenium is when mankind truely set out into the universe. There was a lenghty period though where mankind was once again stuck on their respective planets.

I don't have access to the 40k timeline or anything, but I'm sure someone can provide a more definitive answer.

Mechanicus
15-01-2007, 16:57
IIRC, Mars was terraformed around M23. Slightly out - "In the early 22nd century [Mars] became the first world to be terraformed." Codex Imperialis, page 42. ;)

M16 is when we supposedly gain the warp drive. Before that, we're limited to sub-light power. :)

pwrgmrguard
15-01-2007, 17:05
so mars is colonised in thext 200 years?? ok maybe but it's a stretch. atleast ther's oxygen and water there.

Lavadude360
15-01-2007, 17:09
what about the Imperium of Man thing?

pwrgmrguard
15-01-2007, 17:14
we all know that eventually america or china will rule the world...;)
but asde form that what is there to prevent an empire from forming?

ArtificerArmour
15-01-2007, 17:39
we all know that eventually america or china will rule the world...;)
but asde form that what is there to prevent an empire from forming?

Been watching too much Firefly again :p

I think there was no empires ie nomadic bands of men, when we fought the iron ones or something - our own robots.

Reabe
15-01-2007, 18:24
Well, I would say that Luna is first to be colonised, it is the closest astronomical body after all. It would be a great base for further colonisation, no atmosphere and lots and lots of land.

To paraphrase Bill Bailey (Or it could of been Ross Noble, I'm not too sure), "Building a 'Base Camp' on the Moon to go to Mars is like building a 'Base Camp' on the bottom of your garden to get to New Zealand!".

Waaagh Grignak
15-01-2007, 18:44
Sorry to get all deep on you...

You are forgetting the "Manifest Destiny" of mankind (especially the Americans) to conquer the stars.

Eventually, all of us will realise that for the human race to survive we must work together. Arguements and wars caused by stupid differences such as colour and religion do not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Im quite sure that if the Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Chinese, Japanese, South Koreans, Russians, Indians, Australians and the Arab nations were working together, pooling ideas and resources, and sharing technology, that there would be a much greater human presence in space.

Think of it, American and Russian experiance, Oriental technology and European innovation, all working in concert.

Its easy to imagine a moon base, mars base and quite possibly mining in the asteroid belt.

I belive that a global asteroid defence network would be in place, as no one would be paranoid about nuclear weapons above their lands.

Once a space dock has been constructed, the costs of space ships becomes much less as the fuel required and the dangers of take off are greatly reduced.

"All" that is then required is an FTL / Near FTL drive, and bobs your uncle, The Earth Alliance is ready!!!!!:D

Icarus
15-01-2007, 19:55
Oh good no problem then. I'll just go ask all the nations of the world to work together ;)

Mr Zephy
15-01-2007, 20:35
Go on, then. And if that doesn't work, well *splutter*, i'll write to the times, i will.

Feor
15-01-2007, 22:41
Think of it, American and Russian experiance, Oriental technology and European innovation, all working in concert.

One of the best movie quotes ever. The Cosmonaught from Armageddon: "Russian components, American components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

But realistically, if you were setting something up to protect you from hard vacuum, would you really feel comfortable turning it over to see "Made in China" on the bottom of it? :p

downundercadet07
16-01-2007, 01:58
I think time has proved again and again, that cooperation on a global scale only helps whoever decides to work the least, and sacrifice the smallest amount possible. Really, competition FTW. Remember the Horse from Animal Farm? I forget his name. That is what the US would become in a Global Alliance...

pwrgmrguard
16-01-2007, 02:04
THe american's'll do it! YOu know they will. THen they'll station Nukes on the moon after moving all it's industry, agriculture and infrastructure and population to the moon and hold the world hostage.

Feor
16-01-2007, 02:30
THe american's'll do it! YOu know they will. THen they'll station Nukes on the moon after moving all it's industry, agriculture and infrastructure and population to the moon and hold the world hostage.

I see something like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress as a much more likely scenario. Use it as a forced labour prison camp for all those "terrorists" until said terrorists realize they're at the top of a very deep gravity well with a lot of big rocks.

Brimstone
16-01-2007, 05:18
This doesn't really qualify as 40K background and some of the posting is very poor indeed.

Thread Closed

The Warseer Inquisition