PDA

View Full Version : Dark Stars Army - The Fallen

jonog2004
15-01-2007, 23:37
You know how you get one of those silly ideas? You know the ones! You've got a load of one army already (Raven Guard in my case, and even a load of Eldar) and there's a campaign weekend looming that they'd love to go along to, but still you get the silly idea into your head that it would be great to buy, convert and paint 2000pts of something totally different for it! That's what has happened to me!

I read the brief narrative behind the dark stars campaign, and since it's based around the Dark Angels, I thought it'd be a great idea to do an army based around the Fallen. After trying a few ideas out, the Lost and the Damned seems the appropriate list, a few Fallen marines who have convinced/blackmailed/hypnotised a shed load of imperial guard to fight alongside them! So between now and May I have the following to convert and paint...

1 Fallen Marine Hero
3 Fallen Marine Champions
7 Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Teams
73 Imperial Guardsmen
8 Special Weapon Guardsmen
5 Sentinels
2 Leman Russ's
1 Sentinal
1 Chimera

I thought i'd try and keep you guys up to date, admitedly as an incentive to me as much as anything! I've bought all the models (except the marines) and now have a bewildering array of sprues on my desk ready to be assembled, so watch this space!

I hope to have the first update by the end of the week!

Cheers,

Jono

Boss_Salvage
16-01-2007, 15:16
You know how you get one of those silly ideas? You know the ones! You've got a load of one army already (Raven Guard in my case, and even a load of Eldar) and there's a campaign weekend looming that they'd love to go along to, but still you get the silly idea into your head that it would be great to buy, convert and paint 2000pts of something totally different for it!
Or you're real close to finishing an army finally, but you get daunted about painting the last vehicles and bunch of cannon fodder, so you buy 2 more armies instead ... ;)

That said, I like where this project is headed, and look forward to your conversions and painting. I'm always a fan of LatD, and seeing loyalists corrupted for use in an 'evil' list ... Any more specific list you're working toward?

Good luck, look forward to updates!

- Salvage

jasevx
16-01-2007, 19:22
Remember you can take further Marines as Allied, I think it would suit ur army to have some assault marines, you know how good IG is close up!

HiredSword.
16-01-2007, 22:19
Ah, but the army composition as it stands if nice and fluffy in that it has the tiniest amount of Fallen marines, as the fluff says they are very reclusive and will hardly ever meet in a large group should the Dark Angels capture them.

jonog2004
17-01-2007, 23:53
That's the idea - literally 3 marines in the main list, plus 1 in the combat patrol! Not going to be a powerful list, but that's not the point!

Popped down to Lenton today and got the remaining forgeworld bits, so now it's time to assemble about 100 guardsmen - fun!

Gonfrask
18-01-2007, 00:12
Well, this afternoon (Spain) i was thinking about something like this, so i will be watching you. You have a good core for the army, I think, and show perfectly the paper of the Fallen working in the sadows (like cypher).
Go on Jonog

Angel Robertson
18-01-2007, 08:05
Looking forward to seeing this amry take shape! Have you decided on any colourscheme's yet?

AR

jonog2004
18-01-2007, 14:47
For the fallen, i'm going to loosely do the pre-heresy dark angels. So, black power armour, but I'm probably going to do bone coloured robes instead of the fluff-correct black ones. Black robes on black marines just doesn't work for me!

For the guard, I'm going for an urban scheme, so mid-greys and grey-blues - probably fortress grey undergarments with shadow greyish clothing on top, something like that.

The reason i'm going urban is due to another project I have in the back of my mind, a modular cities of death board - but that's miles down the line!

Cheers for the support!

Jono

TCUTTER
18-01-2007, 15:21
sound familliar to my dilema, i just( as my sig points out) got a full force of guard intended to be traitors, ill watch this thread with great interest

jasevx
18-01-2007, 15:36
Great idea to make it pre-heresay, keeps the fluff masters at bay!

jonog2004
20-03-2007, 11:47
Sorry I haven't updated for ages guys. Firstly, I'll tell you the plan with the army list, then my grand painting regime!

The plan with the army list was to represent an army 'drafted' by a few fallen dark angels, specifically, a fallen Leiutenant and three of his sub-ordinates. They're gone round and convinced a small contingent of the PDF that they are fighting for some righteous hidden agenda in the campaign. The main thing I wanted is, even though I am using the LatD list, there should be no Chaos tint shown in the army, the guard are all imperial still, the fallen marines are still loyal to the emporer, just fighting to stay alive!

The list is as follows:

Main Force

HQ - 3 Aspiring Champions - Bolters, one with power weapon
Troops - 6 Guard Squads:
15 Guard, Lascannon, Plasmagun
15 Guard, Heavy Bolter, Sniper
10 Guard, Lascannon, Plasmagun
10 Guard, Autocannon, Sniper
10 Guard, Shotguns, Flamer, Krak Grenades. Agitator with PW
10 Guard, Close Combat Weapons, Melta, Krak Grenades, Agitator with PFist
Heavy Support - Basilisk (Indirect), Improved Comms

Reserve Force

Fast Attack - 3 Sentinels, Multilasers, Hunter Killer Missiles
Heavy Support
Leman Russ, Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, EA
Leman Russ, 3 Heavy Bolters, EA, Rough Terrain

Combat Patrol

HQ - Leiutenant, BP, Power Weapon
Troops - 15 Guard, Plasmagun, Missile Launcher
Fast Attack - 9 Guard, Meltagun, Agitator with PFist. Mounted in Chimera with 2 heavy flamers

Bear in mind, I am taking this army to have fun, so I know there are some interesting choices in there!

I am currently batch painting the guard (with the batch being 94 strong!) in fortress grey under-fatigues, and shadow grey armour. They are then going to be dipped using a water-based dark mahogany wood stain! I've had a few tries with mixed results to say the least, but now have an acceptable result coming out, so it's ready for the fallen's 94 minions to be drowned in Wickes' best stain!

The tanks are going to be painted in the classic blue-tac and spray paint method (I think this was even in WD a few issues back), unless I come up with something I prefer.

The fallen, as already mentioned are going to be painted black with bone robes. They should really be black robes, but I really can't see that working on the model. I'm using the new DA Veterans, and i've converted the lieutenant into a pose resembling the original emporer's champion model.

The whole army is urban themed to fit in with my other armies. Eventually these will grace my urban themed board, if I ever get round to making it, and more precisely, if the better half allows me!

Just to add, thanks to KingM for his help and support, it's certainly handy having a GD winner around to bounce ideas off! (Cheers for the tank brush and blue tac too!)