PDA

View Full Version : AI Bommerz over Da Sulphur River Adaptation?

Tyra_Nid
16-01-2007, 00:39
I dont have the game, but I am interested in getting it although I doubt anyone at the club would want to play it. However, they do quite like Bommerz, so I was wondering if it would be possible/practical in the AI rules to come up with a 'mission' very close to how Bommerz plays.

Im thinking perhaps 4 ork fightabommerz, 2 Imperial interceptors and some flak batteries, along with the bridges to be destroyed. Obviously the table size would need to be limited to represent the canyon.

Any suggestions or comments about how this could be done?

TheBlueGrassGamer
16-01-2007, 03:52
Greetings,

At least I'm not the only one that's had this idea.

Im thinking perhaps 4 ork fightabommerz, 2 Imperial interceptors and some flak batteries, along with the bridges to be destroyed. Obviously the table size would need to be limited to represent the canyon.

If I were to run the scenario, I'd at least up the number of fights that the Imperial player would have access to. Otherwise, it'd get a bit boring for the Imperial player after his only two Thunderbolts are shot down.

The thing to remember about the original Bommerz game is that it doesn't require taking altitued into account -- while AI does. From what has come out thus far about AI, it's clear that planes can fly higher than the Hydra batteries (the flak batteries in Bommerz) can shoot. After the Bommerz take down the Thunderbolts, there's not a lot that can be done to stop them.

Otherwise, your idea looks good.

As for myself, I've got this insane idea of creating a custom version of this. I'm thinking that the Ork player gets six Fights, three Bommerz, and three Grot bombs while the Imperial player would get six Thunderbolts and a suitable number of AA batteries. Or perhaps a pair Lightnings could replace some of the AA batteries.

Thanks,
The Bluegrass Gamer

Fusion
16-01-2007, 05:59
Tyra, if you're keen I would probably throw some money in for a group order of AI Stuff. I'm downsizing my collection at the moment and I think the small about of models you need would be good for me.

And yes, I still have my old BotSR stuff somewhere....

CyberShadow
16-01-2007, 11:52
Glad to hear that I wasnt the only one to come up with this!

I have posted the scenario here:

Bommerz on EpiComms (http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=78;t=8363)

Feedback on EpiComms or here is welcomed.
Thanks.

TheBlueGrassGamer
16-01-2007, 16:10
Greetings,

I have posted the scenario here:

Although it is more of a personal opinion than anything else, your scenario looks way too complicated. And I mean way too complicated.

The players not only have to remember the normal rules for AI, but they must also remember to move scenery after every turn? And the fact that the lay of the ravine and river dictate such things as obstacles and AA batteries? All of this, especially the moving of terrain/aircraft to get the 'rolling' board, is going to make the game longer.

Also, I don't see the Orks or Imperials staying down in the ravine to dogfight-- especially if an enemy craft gets on their six. You win dogfights by maneuvering, and that means you have to have room to maneuver. I cannot help but think that some of the maneuvers that AI offers could see aircraft slamming into the sides of cliffs or the obstacles. While that will create a more challenging game, it will create a more challenging game.

Personally, I like the idea of running Bommerz more along the lines of a WWII engagement. Which means, the Imperial forces are actually trying to intercept the Orks before they can get to altitude to drop their bombs on the Sulphur River bridges (hence the inclusion of Grot bombs in my ideal Sulphur River force.....).

Thanks,
The Bluegrass Gamer

CyberShadow
16-01-2007, 17:23
I guess that there are two main issues that you bring up.

In terms of complications, I guess that I dont see the extra effort as a lot - move everything back in the end of the turn, roll a dice at the beginning. However, you are correct that this is a matter of taste. But, to me, the idea of the Imperials running interference would not have the feel of the original game and would be a 'more standard scenario'.

The space to move thing is something that I thought about. The ravine width is set at twice medium range, so ground defences can cover at least half of the ravine width. I worried about move space, but since each card is only a couple of inches, there should be plenty of room. I am happy to hear of playtest experience about this, though.

Thanks.

Tyra_Nid
17-01-2007, 01:09
The thing to remember about the original Bommerz game is that it doesn't require taking altitued into account -- while AI does. From what has come out thus far about AI, it's clear that planes can fly higher than the Hydra batteries (the flak batteries in Bommerz) can shoot. After the Bommerz take down the Thunderbolts, there's not a lot that can be done to stop them.

Yeah, this is the main sort of thing I need to consider, since I havent read the rules. I am assuming that something would be able to be done that would mean that the planes need to decend into the range of a Hydra in order to hit the bridge, simulating the play style of Bommerz to an extent (ie, going fast/high means its hard to hit the bridge, but going slow/low means you can get hit. Risk vs Reward, as in the board game).

I dont know how dangerous Hydras are towards air assets in the game either...

Tyra, if you're keen I would probably throw some money in for a group order of AI Stuff.

Yeah, but with FW the postage is a fixed percentage rate, so 'group' orders arent a fiscal advantage at all unless you want something under 10 pounds (min order), and let me tell you that there is not much under 10 pounds worth buying :p.

I might just get the rulebook and some bases, then use the planes from my two sets of Bommerz to have a few games at the club, then decide if I want to invest in a couple of flights worth.

Personally, I like the idea of running Bommerz more along the lines of a WWII engagement. Which means, the Imperial forces are actually trying to intercept the Orks before they can get to altitude to drop their bombs on the Sulphur River bridges (hence the inclusion of Grot bombs in my ideal Sulphur River force.....).

If there are no canyons, bridges and bombing runs, its not really Bommerz, is it? :p

In terms of complications, I guess that I dont see the extra effort as a lot - move everything back in the end of the turn, roll a dice at the beginning. However, you are correct that this is a matter of taste. But, to me, the idea of the Imperials running interference would not have the feel of the original game and would be a 'more standard scenario'.

From what I can tell, that scenario doesnt seem to complicated either. But then, I havent played AI yet, so I dont have a full understanding!