PDA

View Full Version : Rouge Trader's

Mathias Dommhammer
04-04-2005, 20:36
What happen's to the marines that are part of a R.T fleet if the fleet is lost on some primitave world on the far border's of imperial space . All the fluff say's gene seed is scared so why risk it's loss with the R.T.

Rich
04-04-2005, 21:19
I doubt that a whole chapter would be dedicated to a RT exploration fleet, and geneseed losses can be made up over time. I would imagine that, if the chapter elements involved survived, they might form their own chapter (space wolf lost companies, for example).

sulla
04-04-2005, 23:40
What happen's to the marines that are part of a R.T fleet if the fleet is lost on some primitave world on the far border's of imperial space . All the fluff say's gene seed is scared so why risk it's loss with the R.T.

Well, if the primitives have the wherewithal to purchase makeup, perhaps they also have facilities to recover geneseed.

But, making fun of your spelling aside, geneseed is precious, but not irreplaceable. Given enough time, most chapters would be able to recover from significant geneseed loss...and that's assuming the apothecaries didn't preserve the geneseed in stasis until their recovery from the planet they were marooned on.

Karhedron
05-04-2005, 09:59
Please note it is Rogue Traders, not Rouge Traders!

Rouge Traders run around selling make-up. :p

salty
05-04-2005, 11:24
Why is the geneseed scared?

Seriously though, I don't that more than a squad of Marines would be dedicated to a single RT fleet. Its just too dangerous and costly if they are lost.

Salty :)

Hideous Loon
05-04-2005, 17:00
If it'd have been His Most Glorious Imperial Guard, a whole company would accompany the Rogue Traders. But His Most Pansified Space Marines? No, only a squad of 10 will follow them. I wonder why... It could have been The Rainbow Warriors, the Emperor's own *******s.

Inquisitor Samos
05-04-2005, 17:11
Back in the "Rogue Trader" rules days, it wasn't uncommon to hear of whole Companies of Space Marines being assigned to a Rogue Trader's mission..... along with regiments of Imperial Guard, as well as other assets. In fact, I'm fairly sure that some Chapters had undertaken Crusades or had sworn oaths that put some of their number at the disposal of Rogue Traders for centuries at a time. Space Marines even went so far as to add the Rogue Traders' sigils and colors to their uniform livery, much like a campaign badge.

A few Rogue Traders were also even Inquisitors (Rogue Trader - Inquisitor Foulway Tor, for instance)........ thus Rogue Trader missions were at times at least as important as any other mission that might be undertaken by a Chapter.

*sigh* Things were much different in the "Rogue Trader rules" days........

Tynesh
05-04-2005, 18:52
I would think that even a squad of marines would remain independent of the Rogue Trader. In the 3rdEd Marine Codex it notes a force of Ultramarines that were accompanying a RT, battle command fell to the Captain with them, not the RT.

There was story somewhere with a group of marines from different chapters exchanging tales while under the service of a RT. It seems that individual marines could also be sent away (ala Bloodquest style) to fulfill a mission or on repentence and join a RT on an exploration. Only one geneseed would be lost to the chapter, since one will have reached maturity with the marine finsihing his scout training.

Tynesh

Rich
05-04-2005, 19:01
Back in the "Rogue Trader" rules days, it wasn't uncommon to hear of whole Companies of Space Marines being assigned to a Rogue Trader's mission..... along with regiments of Imperial Guard, as well as other assets. In fact, I'm fairly sure that some Chapters had undertaken Crusades or had sworn oaths that put some of their number at the disposal of Rogue Traders for centuries at a time. Space Marines even went so far as to add the Rogue Traders' sigils and colors to their uniform livery, much like a campaign badge.

I would imagine that the crusading chapters (Imperial Fists, Black Templars) would probably accompany RT fleets just because of the oppertunity it represents to bring the fight to the enemies of the emperor - although to be honest, I doubt they would be seceeded to the RTs command in any official capacit and would probably accompany the fleet for as long as it suited them!

Talkie Toaster
05-04-2005, 22:04
Isn't it possible procedure changed between pre-heresy times and the 'current' time? Marines have certainly changed from being mere supersoldiers (that doesn't sound right) to being objects of worship and figuring more or less as angels in Ministorum doctrine. And since 'current' Marines aren't simply clones, like the Emperor's initial batch, they're probably seen as less expendible.