PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Help

Farseer Lektalis
16-01-2007, 02:35
ok i really need help with making a 250 pt Dark elf warband.
Ive tried all sorts of tactics but i cant seem to win any of the games im playin
Also im trying to stay with a corsair/raiding army theme. Pls i could really use some help

sulla
16-01-2007, 05:49
Don't get disheartened. The lower the points (and the smaller the field), the worse DE perform. At such a puny points total, you would probably be best with 2 units of dark riders with bows - sorry, our infantry is only mediochre:cries: . Never get into combat unless it is a co-ordinated charge with both units (at least one on the flank/rear or an enemy infantry/chariot unit) and avoid enemy heavy cav altogether.

Against many enemies, your whole game may well consist of not getting charged and plunking off the odd inneffectual rxb round:cheese: .

Once you get to higher points, magic and flying monsters make your list a bit more competitive...

Mephistofeles
16-01-2007, 11:23
Well, that was a very small points total, but if I were you I would go with a unit of Corsairs (they are 10p a piece right?), say 14 strong (7x2). That's 140 points, don't take command, maybe a musician.

Then take a Repeater Bolt Thrower for 100 points. That's 250 points total. Total Ownage.

If you are not allowed war machines, take 4-5 Dark Riders (don't remember their points cost. somewhere around 20 right?) and use them to flank stuff which are fighting the corsairs.

Corsairs rock, especially in smaller games. Sorry if they are not 10 points, they might be 11, can't remember that well.

Glorfindel
16-01-2007, 11:59
250 is extremely low

What is your opponent though? Because if you're playing a horde army I don't think there is alot of chance you can win at all with such a low cost because of static resolution combat. Nor would you be able to win from things like chaos warriors ... Corsairs won't do aything except make a little dent on their armour.

Without knowing your enemy I would maybe try 11 corsairs with full command (one extra so you don't loose your rank immediatly) and 8 shades (247pts) shades can scout, shoot and be a pain for enemy missile troops or that warmachine, they're also difficult to catch for normal infantry. It also adds more to your raider theme fluff.

You could also go for 10 warriors with rxb without command or shield instead of 8 shades for 245 pts. The difference is 10 models with light armour ranked up instead of 8 models that can scout without light armour. I would go for the shades any time as light armour alone is useles and the tactical advantage of scouts is way better in my opinion.

Otherwise Mephistofeles his idea isn't bad either adn also adds to the raider fluff.

Oh and if i were to fight at 250 pts I'd probably choose 2x10 warriors with shields and full command one unit swapping spears for rxb. Both could hold and the rxb could shoot at the enemy until they are in charge range, after that I would charge as their 4+ armour save in cc (LA shield and hand weapon) is actually not laughed at combined with ws 4.

Farseer Lektalis
16-01-2007, 13:22
well ill be up against every type of army u can think up. We have a few chaos players a few empire a few orc/gobbos, ect. My biggest adversaries(the ones i play the most have skaven ,huge horde, and empire ,lots of small units causing me to kil one unit then get killed by his pistoliers.) Anyway ive tried the Dark rider idea and my oppnents just used there own guns to kill em all off. Also we are doing a large warband campaign so u need either a character or a unit champion to lead it. thats one of the warband rules that has been killing me. I can either take a 80pt character or take 10 corsairs with a champion.

sulla
20-01-2007, 03:30
well ill be up against every type of army u can think up. We have a few chaos players a few empire a few orc/gobbos, ect. My biggest adversaries(the ones i play the most have skaven ,huge horde, and empire ,lots of small units causing me to kil one unit then get killed by his pistoliers.) Anyway ive tried the Dark rider idea and my oppnents just used there own guns to kill em all off. Also we are doing a large warband campaign so u need either a character or a unit champion to lead it. thats one of the warband rules that has been killing me. I can either take a 80pt character or take 10 corsairs with a champion.

Well, obviosly you can't use a character if you want a meaningful force (unless you just play a beastmaster and hydra or on a manticore as your entire force :D ), so unit champion it is.

If dark riders are getting shot up, don't dount on your infantry to do much better. They are so much slower and can't get out of charge and shooting arcs easily at all. I still think at least one unit of DR is a neccessity, possibly swapping the second one out for a chariot or some shades if you are up against too much shooting.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
20-01-2007, 10:43
RXBs are good use of points
I even think that for what they are, they are the best unit in the army.

A neutral shade of black.
21-01-2007, 12:26
250 is standard Warbands.

To be honest, you're pretty much buggered. You need a command model, which means you need to take a unit that complies with the minimum number of models. Your best bet would probably be a unit of ten warriors with champion and with or without shields., which leaves you with a 170-180 points list. A couple five-strong corsair units and a of two-strong DR with RXB unit is all that you can fit in.

Glorfindel
21-01-2007, 13:22
250 is standard Warbands.

To be honest, you're pretty much buggered. You need a command model, which means you need to take a unit that complies with the minimum number of models. Your best bet would probably be a unit of ten warriors with champion and with or without shields., which leaves you with a 170-180 points list. A couple five-strong corsair units and a of two-strong DR with RXB unit is all that you can fit in.

Corsairs are 10+ and Dark raiders are 5+ models :)

Really I'd go for 11 corsairs + 8 shades fluffwise or 10 warriors full command with shield + 10 warriors full command with Rxb and shield.

Othewise i've been looking fluffwise an assassin with manbane and rune of khaine + shades as assassin team, but the model count is extremely low. Though you could hug woods in which case enemy shooters will have a total -2 hit modifier (woods + skirmish). Shoot down your enemy fire support and engage when in your advantage.

Or jus maybe 10 warriors with full command, shields, rxb and a cold one chariot with spears. The chariot is high thoughness and has a very hard potentional hitting power.

21-01-2007, 14:21
Corsairs are 10+ and Dark raiders are 5+ models :)

And this is Warbands, where the minimum unit sizes have been edited.

Next question? :lol:

Glorfindel
21-01-2007, 16:20
And this is Warbands, where the minimum unit sizes have been edited.

Next question? :lol:

I supposed as much though I was not sure, but then why did you say he needed a minimum number of models?

However I have a question now (the other one was merely a statement :p) how does it go with the rule you need 5 unit strength to have a unit that negates flanks? Or is warbands basically a skirmish game?

22-01-2007, 12:04
I supposed as much though I was not sure, but then why did you say he needed a minimum number of models?

Read the Warbands rules - a unit needs to be its minimum required size before it can get command upgrades; this is to prevent blocks of three models with a champion, or two dark riders with a musician (bait spam :P). Since he needs a command model and there's no way in hell he can fit a character in there, he needs a champion.

However I have a question now (the other one was merely a statement :p) how does it go with the rule you need 5 unit strength to have a unit that negates flanks? Or is warbands basically a skirmish game?

The US5 to negate flank rule is still valid. Warbands is not Skirmish; it's a low-points game of WFB with modified unit sizes. All the regular rules apply.

Glorfindel
22-01-2007, 12:15
Read the Warbands rules - a unit needs to be its minimum required size before it can get command upgrades; this is to prevent blocks of three models with a champion, or two dark riders with a musician (bait spam :P). Since he needs a command model and there's no way in hell he can fit a character in there, he needs a champion.

The US5 to negate flank rule is still valid. Warbands is not Skirmish; it's a low-points game of WFB with modified unit sizes. All the regular rules apply.

I suppose warbands is described in the 7th edition rulebook which I yet have to acquire, so can't have read them ;). I'm going to buy it as soon as much exams are finished.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
22-01-2007, 12:25
2 units of 10 RXB Warriors with shields, and one with a Lordling. 250pts exactly.

Or try 12 Warriors /w shields, Full Command + 5 Dark Riders with RXB and musician

Or try 12 Warriors /w shields, Full Command + 10 RXB Warriors with Shields, musician

Corsairs and RBT are way to expensive for this point total game. Having 40% of your points in a single warmachine is insane and not a good return on your points. You are basically stuck using Warriors and possibly Dark Riders. MAYBE Executioners in a stretch...