PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Out Nightgoblin Fanatics

stashman
16-01-2007, 03:32
Here is a question about Fanatics.

1. A player charge a unit of nightgoblins and are hit by the fanatics and has to complete his move and maybe "land" on a fanatic that cause even more wounds.

This is what it is but....

2. Skirmishers move forward the nightgoblin unit, and within 8 inch the fanatic is on his way out. All is done, can the unit still move or do the skirmish unit have to stop and can not move further.

3. Fast cav unit of pistoliers moving towards the nightgoblin unit. Fanatics out!! Can the fast cav unit still move in a "better" position after the nightgoblin player has put out his fanatics.

All is when unit still has movement over.

All answers appriciated.

alextroy
16-01-2007, 04:02
Units are allowed to continue moving once the fanatics have moved out of their unit. Units that where charging when the fanatics where released must complete their charge, unless panicked by the impact of the fanatics.

T10
16-01-2007, 06:13
Yes.

-T10

Doc Havoc
16-01-2007, 20:12
alextroy is correct. Although I don't know what you mean by "better" position.

If you are in the middle of a charge or if you are overrunning from a pursuit move, (and don't panic from the fanatics), then you must finish that move in base to base with the unit you were charging. As such you must attempt to get as many models in H2H on the original facing as you possibly can. So you really cannot alter your intended course. The only things that might prevent you from ending your move on a fanatic is if you panic from the fanitics initial release or one or more fanatics caused you to lose enough models to where you did not have enough ranks to end your move on top of the fanatic.

Palatine Katinka
16-01-2007, 23:21
I think the "better position" is nowhere near the Fanatics! That was in reference to the Pistoliers, who start more than 8" away so are marching, edge forwardto 8" away, the survivors peg it leaving the Fanatics behind and then shoot something.

stashman
16-01-2007, 23:52
I think the "better position" is nowhere near the Fanatics! That was in reference to the Pistoliers, who start more than 8" away so are marching, edge forwardto 8" away, the survivors peg it leaving the Fanatics behind and then shoot something.

yes, more than 8" away and the pull out the fanatics and then move another way just to stay away from fanatics and move towards the unit that was "guarded" by the nightgoblin unit with fanatics. Its effective!

cold0
17-01-2007, 07:45
Use a flying unit and move it behind the night goblin unit. This will wreak havoc in the Orcs Army even if you will probably loose our unit.

Festus
17-01-2007, 08:00
Hi

Use a flying unit and move it behind the night goblin unit.
But you are aware that fanatics are released in the direction of the O&G player's choosing?

Festus

jullevi
17-01-2007, 08:15
Also, you need to remember that flying over night golbin unit to release fanatics is not as easy as it sounds, because you must stop (for the moment) as soon as you find yourself within 8" of night goblins. This may easily happen in the middle of your flight move.

T10
17-01-2007, 08:58
The rules even state that fliers land.

-T10

cold0
17-01-2007, 09:42
But you are aware that fanatics are released in the direction of the O&G player's choosing?

Yes. But, at least, he must release them well before the other units come within 8", even if he want to release the fanatic in another direction.

Also, you need to remember that flying over night golbin unit to release fanatics is not as easy as it sounds, because you must stop (for the moment) as soon as you find yourself within 8" of night goblins. This may easily happen in the middle of your flight move.

Sure, but a small unit of fliers (says 5 furies for example) is more mobile and fast than other units. The idea is to came from the flank or the rear of the night goblin units and not on the frontal flank. If the goblin player want release the fanatics in another direction at least he has released the fanatics away from your "core" units. If he releases them against the fliers there's the possibility that the fanatics hit even their near friendly units.

Quoting the Orcs & Goblin Army (6th, I don't have the last one but I think it's the same) page 14: "fanatica are released as soon as enemy come within 8" of their Concealing Unit. There is not choice here."

Festus
17-01-2007, 10:09
Hi

You are right: The NG must release the Fanatics.

But...

...if you want to get behind him, you will have to spend two or three turns to do so. You won't do much good by then.
If you use flyers, you canot simply fly over him, as you will have to stop as soon as you come into 8" and then the fanatics will be released, probably in the direction of your main line or where the Fanatics will not annoy the O&G too much (keeping a little bit of terrain near is quite handy, as this can eliminate the fanatics as soon as they emerge should they pose a problem for the O&G player...)

The best way to draw out fanatics still is Skirmishers in woods/behind terran. Failig that, it is cheap units of minimal fast cavalry if you have them.

Festus
Festus

cold0
17-01-2007, 10:56
...if you want to get behind him, you will have to spend two or three turns to do so. You won't do much good by then.

Two turn generally.

If you use flyers, you canot simply fly over him, as you will have to stop as soon as you come into 8" and then the fanatics will be released

Yes, the rule is quite clear. But I move from the flank or the rear of the NG unit. Probably it's the same thing that other players make with the fast cavalry, but my Fast Cavalry is quite expensive

The best way to draw out fanatics still is Skirmishers in woods/behind terran.

Sure, but I haven't any skirmishers in my Chaos Army list ;)

Anyway, tonight I will played against O&G. So I will let you if my "flying kamikaze furies" work on not!

warlord hack'a
17-01-2007, 15:40
yes, more than 8" away and the pull out the fanatics and then move another way just to stay away from fanatics and move towards the unit that was "guarded" by the nightgoblin unit with fanatics. Its effective!

to prevent error: as soon as you are within 8" the fanatis emerge and move, only after their move has been finished are you allowed to move further with your pistolliers. So you can draw uot the fanatics but still have a good chance of getting hit by one after which your averag unit of pistolliers first has to make a panic test due to casualties caused by the fanatic.

warlord hack'a
17-01-2007, 15:50
and regarding the flying kamikaze furies, any experienced O&G player will have his fanatics in one of three positions:
1) on the flanks to prevent fast cav and flyers to get around the O&G flank, so in this case your flyers will initially have to stop in front of the night gobbo unit on the flank and the fanatics will be released to the front (I usually field two small night gobbo units each with one fanatic specifically for this purpose).
2) next to the main combat unit, usually in the center of the O&G battle line. In this case you can go round the flank with your flyers but it will take you two full turns to get within 8 inch, assuming terrain and O&G units are positioned in the for you most favorable position. If you spend these two turns I will be faced with two options: release the fanatics towards the pesky furies or release the fanatics to the chaos chosen knights that are thundering my way, hhmmm tough choice ;-).
3) In a 2nd battleline directly behind the main combat unit. See option 2 but now it is often even harder to reach this unit in two turns and even if you do, see 2.

no, if you want to draw out the fanatics so that you chaos knights have free reign you are better of to race straight forward asap with hounds or furies and draw out the fanatics to the front in turn 1, then you have time enough to steer clear of the fanatics with your knights.

off course there are again measures the O&G can take to prevent this but hey, I have betrayed my fellow men enough already..