PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy justifications for wacky Alliances

Stingray_tm
16-01-2007, 20:20
My club has a lot of people, who enjoy fluff driven gameplay. There is also a lot of team matches going on. That is really great and exactly the way i like my 40K.

The problem: I am a Tyranid player ;)

So i have to come up with some good explainations, if i want to team up with anyone else than our other Tyranid player. Okay, they have no problem with Disorder forces being on the same side, say Chaos and Tyranids. But Space Marines and Tyranids is a no no.

So i'd like to know some ideas, why some of the more strange Alliances would work. Let's skip the obvious part (Marines + IG, doh!). I mean the really strange ones, like Space Marines + Tyranids or Necrons + Eldar. Or even Eldar + Dark Eldar...

hiveminion
16-01-2007, 20:24
Tyranids+anything weird: mind control!

Stingray_tm
16-01-2007, 20:26
Tyranids+anything weird: mind control!

But who is in control?

hiveminion
16-01-2007, 20:32
Why, the Hive Mind of course. Don't forget it's the most powerful psychic organism in the galaxy. Also, you can think of several Tyranid beasts that could control brains...Phil Kelly mentioned Cortex Leeches once.

Or a psychic signal from a particularly powerful monster can manipulate minds, or a different type of Phage Cells...Tyranids do allow for a lot of explanations as to why they'd ally someone...though they're a bit far-fetched sometimes:rolleyes: .

Necrons+Eldar, now there's a challenge...Holographic cloaking devices???

jfrazell
16-01-2007, 20:44
Inquisitor Bob, as part of his imperial accounting duties, managed to subborn a Queen to the Imperial Will via mind control (evidently he modified a vespid mind control er communication device). In order to further the dark and devious ends of Chapter XXXXXViiXVXI ("The Emperor's Mailmen") he has "lent" some of the Nids as supporting troops to the marine cause. One day they shall have to return the favor.

EarthScorpion
16-01-2007, 21:01
Or possibly, the Marines are merely using the disorder the Tyranid attack on the enemy lines causes to launch their own offensive. They have been coated with tyranid phenomone, so they are safe from being attacked, as the 'nids are meant to believe that they are Tyranids, but the cover will be broken if they attck the Tyranids. Meanwhile, the Hive Mind is curious how the cruchy humans are hiding their selves, and so does not wish to waste biomass, when the humnas can kills dome of the enemy theirselves.

Stingray_tm
16-01-2007, 21:12
Earth Scorpion, i REALLY like your idea.

Daemon king Mad Dog
16-01-2007, 21:18
I like earthscorps idea too, sounds cool to have the marines sneeking around rpetending to be tyranids, can't be a codex chapter though, or ultramarines.

Kandarin
16-01-2007, 21:26
Or possibly, the Marines are merely using the disorder the Tyranid attack on the enemy lines causes to launch their own offensive. They have been coated with tyranid phenomone, so they are safe from being attacked, as the 'nids are meant to believe that they are Tyranids, but the cover will be broken if they attck the Tyranids. Meanwhile, the Hive Mind is curious how the cruchy humans are hiding their selves, and so does not wish to waste biomass, when the humnas can kills dome of the enemy theirselves.

This is probably your best bet. There's even a record of a Catachan regiment who defeated a Tyranid force with this very tactic, although they did spend two years on a "decontamination" ship afterwards.

Indrid Khold
16-01-2007, 23:30
Similar to EarthScorpion's idea, I'd say that Eldar or Dark Eldar fighting alongside Tyranids could be justified fairly easily by saying that the Tyranids were attacking an Imperial (or whatever) world that was bothering the Eldar and they swooped in to tip the balance in favor of the 'Nids. It wouldn't be so much of an alliance as a "parallel offensive" but it seems workable.

And as for Eldar and Dark Eldar being a "strange alliance," they aren't. They're not exactly friends, but they are NOT bitter, mortal enemies like High and Dark Elves.

TheSanityAssassin
16-01-2007, 23:52
Yah...a friend and I run an Eldar + Dark Eldar tag team in tourneys, and we don't get strange looks. Particularly now that Harlies are involved. There are often overreaching goals both might have, such as protecting the Webway during Medusa, that will lead them to cooperate...

Mr_Smiley
17-01-2007, 00:02
The only alliance I could never see happening is Necrons + Eldar or Eldar + Slaanesh as they hate each other way to much to work together.
Every other alliance could be through convenience, disguise or true alliance.

Reaver83
17-01-2007, 00:46
brain slugs

BodhiTree
17-01-2007, 00:53
I really don't see Grey Knights + Chaos happening.

Outlaw289
17-01-2007, 01:04
I really don't see Grey Knights + Chaos happening.

An awesome sorceror makes the Chaos Marines look like Loyalists. The Chaos Marines go after their true objective, using the Sorceror's magicks to conceal themselves so they don't have to face the righteous might of the Grey Knigts simultaneously against their primary foe.

BodhiTree
17-01-2007, 01:11
That's better than anything I can think of.

CelestialDragonKing
17-01-2007, 02:05
Tyranid + IG + Orks + Tau + Eldar? = Genstealer hybrids from all races. Human hybrids are most known but i'm sure they also infiltrate other xenos creatures. Chaos might be hard for them to infect.

Other than that they might not be actually "allied". they could just be in the same place at the same time and just haven't gotten around to killing them yet.

Known Necron worlds have shown to have hive fleets avoiding them so they might have something like that in an army that does the same. it doesn't mean they are allied. just that the nids havn't been able to eat them yet.

MrGarm13
07-02-2007, 04:19
An awesome sorceror makes the Chaos Marines look like Loyalists. The Chaos Marines go after their true objective, using the Sorceror's magicks to conceal themselves so they don't have to face the righteous might of the Grey Knigts simultaneously against their primary foe.

That would work until you came across a Khorne army. What with them considering sorcery cowardly and all.

UltimateNagash
07-02-2007, 09:53
Necrons + Nids = 'Nids can't get anything from the 'Crons, and the 'Crons need a large army to enslave the galaxy. Then they just kill all the Hive Nodes at the end of the war and destroy the little 'Nids.

Blooming Necrons... I'll miss the nids :cries:

Bookwrak
07-02-2007, 10:07
For particularly weird match ups, a good hand wave is that they're both after something they want so badly, they're willing to more or less ignore their team mate while they're after whatever.

Maybe it's a Tyranid invasion, and their Ultramarine allies are trying to recover oh... some relic of their Primarch that was discovered to be on that very planet, in the hands their enemy. The importance of the item is so great that they're only focusing on cutting through the defenders, rather than diverting focus to the Tyranids.