PDA

View Full Version : Special characters, will you use them?

ffarsight
17-01-2007, 08:41
HI,

With the 7th eddition, we got a new kind of army list that could bring lots of special characters in the field, Orcs got big and bad ones, and Empireīs religious characters prevail, and now the Dwarfs can use them either.

Are they getting into your games? Do you think they are a game breaker/winner?

Let discuss it....

Thanks

T10
17-01-2007, 09:04
I've had fun using Zacharias the Everliving in a couple of games. And I once used the old previous version of Grimgor.

Some Special Characters are worse to face than others.

-T10

ffarsight
17-01-2007, 09:28
Iīm going to try karl Franz in my next empire army, but not to sure what should be his mount... i think a dragon is not as theamed as deathclaw his griffon, besides, i only have a green dragon and itīs very green and white...

600 points for a special character on a griffon is high, and the hammer of sigmar lost 2 precious attacks... damn it.

I think that the new special characters are not to "broken", and for their cost, are a good balanced addition.

Your Mum Rang
17-01-2007, 09:44
I'd like to use Skrag the Slaughterer sometime and most of the Wood Elf special characters are balanced and not over the top like some characters. I wish GW would be consistent!

Von Wibble
17-01-2007, 16:56
All the empire ones look good except luthor huss (fear and WS5 - wow).
Volkmar is the one I particularly want to take, though ludwig schwarzhelm could be useful also.

Agree on the consistency thing as the high elf special characters are terrible - teclis isn't as good in the magic phase as a level 4 and level 2 wizard put together and tyrion has a horse that they decided for some reason should count as a monster and get more than 1 wound.

The 2 wood elf sisters - is it just me who is annoyed by the fact they don't have spears despite the fact that the picture of them clearly does? It also makes their charge somewhat more respectable.

Crazy Harborc
18-01-2007, 00:52
Most of the time, my longtime opponents and I do not use special characters. Heck, we normally only use 3000 point armies. That 350 to 990 whatever point special character is a points eater BIG TIME.

That said. I have the old versions of several of the Empire AND Orc/Goblin ones. Elves too, come to think about it. I "think" I'll just happen to have a roster or five just laying around.:evilgrin:

Jackster
18-01-2007, 07:05
Kurt Helborg looks cool and he gets a Runefang and laurel of victory (usually impossible for Grand masters), plus the best CC ability in the Empire! i ll totally use him in my Reiksguard themed army.

ffarsight
18-01-2007, 07:58
Most of the time, my longtime opponents and I do not use special characters. Heck, we normally only use 3000 point armies. That 350 to 990 whatever point special character is a points eater BIG TIME.

That said. I have the old versions of several of the Empire AND Orc/Goblin ones. Elves too, come to think about it. I "think" I'll just happen to have a roster or five just laying around.:evilgrin:

if ypu have that many Sp. characters, why donīt you try them, could be fun.

Donīt forget Luthor Huss getīs a 4+ ward save, and kurt helborg doesnīt have any ward save.

I really like volkmar, because his war Altar (iīm in love with the altar);)

But do you guys think it will be a problem with the use of special characters in tournaments? Every month I play a 2000 tournament, and with the new rules we can have special characters for Dwarfs, Orcs and Empire, is this unfair for the other players?

ffarsight
18-01-2007, 09:04
Oh, and why did they made all combat empire special Characters without shields??

On barded warhorse they only get 2+ save, why??? they could get the shield, WTF are they smoking??

Teach
18-01-2007, 09:46
Strangly, since the last two editions i have not been ussing them anymore.
I have almost all the Skaven ones but no use. I also wanted to make a Luther Huss Crusade army but his powers are a bit one sided.
The points costs are high and units are now far more important then 1 model.
300 point or more for a spec char will buy you a full unit of rockhard fighters in most armies or several units of weaker ones. As a skaven player it mains 40 too 60 models on the table less.

chase123
21-01-2007, 21:54
I think the hero-level ones can be fun, but lords are broken. Back a few editions ago, the tournament rules would allow you to take 2-wound and below Special Characters but not the 3-wound and up ones. I think this is where the threshold for opponent's permission should lie.

greenskin
21-01-2007, 22:01
As an Orc player, I can assure you that none of the O&G characters are broken. Skarsnik situationally could be but that depends on a lot of die rolls. They are all interesting and seem like they would be fun to play. The problem for me is that you seem to need to tailor your army around them instead of tailoring your general around your army. I would play them if I thought they were a good fit for me.

vampires are cool!
21-01-2007, 22:07
As long as Vlad von Carstien makes a come back I think i can find room for him.

Crazy Harborc
21-01-2007, 23:52
It has seemed (in the past and now) that opponents who thought special characters were broken only when they were in an opponent's army list.;)

It was about half way through 6th Edition before we started saying no special characters when discussing any limits for up coming games. The other consideration that pops to mind is a couple of the guys only have SCs for one or two of their armies.

Teach
22-01-2007, 11:49
The dogs of war charakters seem to be more in use. Longdrong has done me proud a few times (and died everytime). But some of the units are very expansive.

SevenSins
22-01-2007, 16:00
well after reading about Morghur the master of skulls I wanted to start a beats army right away.
Turning everyone into chaos spawn is dangerously tempting

Crazy Harborc
23-01-2007, 01:15
Well....this morning I was in the um....reading room. I read JJs article. After reading the woods put forth on this subject by Jervis.....I agree with his stance.

For my part......I agree that special characters should be no problem and not need the opponent's permission......Army by army as their 7th Edition armybooks WITH included SCs come out. Till then, back of the book isn't the same thing.;)