PDA

View Full Version : Do You Model Ordnance?

Jedi152
17-01-2007, 09:58
So i'm re-building up my chaos fleet and found loads of the metal fighters and bombers in my box, and it made me want to get some FW dreadclaws.

Does anyone bother with modelled ordnance? If so - how do you base them? Is there an official way?

ReDavide
17-01-2007, 11:29
I use SG fighters & bombers and enjoy having them. They're easy to assemble and paint, and it's nice to have ordnance that matches the rest of your fleet colors.

One warning about the FW dreadclaws though: they come on stalks with no feet. Whereas the SG ordnance ships are mounted on a metal rod with a disc-shaped base (which are then mounted on a larger base in groups of 3-5), the FW dreadclaws just have a flimsy resin rod about the thickness of a mechanical pencil lead.

I have some but haven't assembled them. I'm completely mystified as to how to mount the things on the large ordnance base, let alone how to keep the things from snapping off their rods at the slightest touch.

ArtificerArmour
17-01-2007, 15:39
I got some babylon 5 centauri fighters and put them on epic bases for my dark eldar fighters and bombers. Only got the SG mines and they're good to use.

Jedi152
17-01-2007, 15:55
What bases do you put them on? The SG ones come with epic infantry '5-in-a-line' bases, but i can't help feeling they'd look better in a 'V' formation of three, but the only kind of bases i can think of that would work are old epic square ones, which are hard to come by now.

Thanks for the tip off ReDavide - i don't like the sound of those, i'll have to use wire or something if i get them.

orangesm
17-01-2007, 18:18
They arent horribly difficult to come by - especially for those of us who play epic and are buying up old minis.

I have Thunderhawks modeled on the Epic bases - 2 to a base with one being behind the other.

Your idea of having a V I like and can easily do on the Epic bases. Another option is to have it be part of a V so \ on one base and / on another.

Slartibartfast
17-01-2007, 18:22
What I have done is taken the original counters and mounted the torps, fighters, bomers, and assult boats on them roughly in the same places as on the counters. I then go by numbers on the base to indicate what they are. For example the fighter counters have 5 ships marked on them. I then glue 5 metal minis in roughly the same spots on the counter, which makes a V shape also. This for me was easier than using the "sticks" that came with the blister.

ReDavide
17-01-2007, 20:28
What bases do you put them on? The SG ones come with epic infantry '5-in-a-line' bases, but i can't help feeling they'd look better in a 'V' formation of three, but the only kind of bases i can think of that would work are old epic square ones, which are hard to come by now.

Some of the Epic bases' slots are arranged in a shallow V formation. If you wanted to go square though, I don't see why you couldn't just use a WH Fantasy base.

Anyone who uses daemons in 40k will have lots of them lying around.

fracas
18-01-2007, 01:56
i don't model torpedoes but i do like having attack crafts.
i take a warmaster base and cut it in half and mount 3 fighters or 2 bombers per base.

Angelwing
22-01-2007, 03:25
i mount each fighter/bomber/whatever on a warhammer fantasy round shield. one model per base is enough to represent a 'wing'
forgeworld ork fighter bommas also come on just a stick. i used a blob of milliput and stuck them in it. just dont cough near them. if they do break, they can be mounted on a cone of milliput

CELS
22-01-2007, 07:04
I don't model torpedoes, but I think miniature attack craft look wonderful! I use standard fighters and bombers for the Imperial navy, but I've also converted some new types of attack craft by adjusting chaos bombers a bit. The chaos bombers have very large wings, allowing you to cut them into different shapes, see. You can also trim their noses a bit. In this way, I've created PDF fighters, PDF bombers and Thunderhawks for my Space Marines.

The Forgeworld attack craft are absolute crap, in my opinion. I bought a bunch of Thunderhawks for my Space Marines, but not only is the whole resin-rod idea ridiculous, but they're in the wrong bloody scale. They're three times as big as Imperial attack craft, when they realistically should be considerably smaller. They could have at least made them the same size as the fighters, as a compromise.

nightgash
22-01-2007, 12:15
You can get some official GW ordnance. There was the the chaos fighters and bombers, the imperial fighters, bombers and assualt boats and also an orbital mine sprue. For me I would put maybe two ships of a square WHF base to represent a fighter token and in that way you get more attack craft with it still looking good.

KaldCB
30-01-2007, 00:00
Do someone know how many bombers you get in the gw blister? it says six spures, but is it six ships, or six spures of four?

orangesm
30-01-2007, 00:21
It looks like I have 27 or 30. (9-10 sprues of 3)

bertcom1
30-01-2007, 00:28
Looking on the US online store, the ordnance packs seem to be

Imperial fighters 30
Imperial bombers 18
Imperial assault boats 24

Chaos fighters 24
Chaos bombers 24

KaldCB
30-01-2007, 10:07
Models are much cooler then markers....

IncrediSteve
01-02-2007, 16:02
Definately the small WHFB bases, you can get around 60 in a pack from the online store for $5 (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=303834&orignav=301080&ParentID=251467&GameNav=300810)/₤2.5 (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99229999034&orignav=300810).

That's what I did, and they are the *exact* same size as the markers that come in the old boxed game.

I also bought the FW Dreadclaws and Assault Boats. Just drill a hole in the WHFB and stick the rod in, works fine. The dreadclaws are great, but I was really dissapointed in the the assault boats [I bought them because the little pic of them at an odd angle made them look completely different and more detailed than the GW ones, but they're actually inferior, and far more expensive!]. I used the assault boats 2 to a base, so 5 markers, only have one Emperor so that ought to be plenty, wheras ten Dreadclaws is a perfectly reasonable number for chaos.

Fighters I put 3 to base in a V for Imperial and a ^ for chaos, like the Claw formation from Homeworld. I've also made pairs for larger formations, like the typical launch a wing of two fighters, one is \ and the other is /, so you can put them together to have a wide \/. Also looks good on the sides of a bomber wing.

Bombers go two to a base since they're rather large and it's more fitting to be in pairs I think. By buying one pack of each for Imperial and Chaos Fighters, Bombers, and Boats, i've got plenty of ordinance for both fleets as long as you launch a mix, which I think it's silly to launch all of one type anyhow.

Final breakdown of buying one bag of bases and all the neccessary attack craft:

~$90

Imperial [max AC launched = 16]

10 Fighter Bases, 10 Bomber Bases, 5 Assault Boat bases

Chaos [max AC launched = 22]

8 Fighter Bases, 12 Bomber Bases, 10 Dreadclaws

I'll post some pics when I get back home later perhaps.

Decius
13-02-2007, 01:02
Over at my club, the two main BFG players mount their attack craft on round 40K bases (but they still use those cardboard torpedoes). I think it looks great since it gives all ships and craft a circular foot print. Makes them look more uniform. One of them went the economic route and mounted three fighters/bombers to a base. Some in V's, some in /'s, maybe an L, and some in no formation at all. However, they are chaos attack craft, so that might make random formations look kosher.

Pipp2
14-02-2007, 01:11
We usualy use thunderhawks when we do a planet assault.

Slekith
14-02-2007, 12:31
I bought FW Thunderhawks but I'm modeling the torpedoes.

gLOBS
18-02-2007, 16:47
I model my torpedo's with toxin sacs and assault craft with adrenalin glands as I play tyranids.