PDA

View Full Version : The new WHRP - how is it?

Asher
04-04-2005, 21:04
Since march the 29th the new edition of the WHRP is available on black industires. Does anyone have it already. I'm planing on buing it, but for 25 + shipping I need to know if it is worth the money. Maybe I'm asking to much but I'd be rally thankfull for a short review of the content. Thanks in advance.

Baggers
04-04-2005, 21:23
I got a copy over the weekend and asthetically it is really really nice, full colour layout using the best of the Warcry artwork. Character Creation seems nice and easy, and the game mechanics should work fine. Going to give them a go over the next few weeks.

KDP Morgoth
04-04-2005, 21:42
Arnizipal posted this link in the Fantasy Background Board:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11192.phtml

The link is to a full, in depth review of the new WHRP book.

Drabant
05-04-2005, 11:49
I have a reserved copy booked in the book store in town, maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow or come this weekend.

Geetarman
05-04-2005, 12:28
although I ain't got my copy yet from what I have read it looks brilliant and only the most hardcore "I love WFRP the way it was" group will be disappointed IMO.

I would definitely suggest you buy it (amazon is very good place for a low price) along with the addons, also try looking at www.blackindustries.com/forum for more info :) )

Gman

Baggers
05-04-2005, 19:48
Best place I found to buy it was my new forbidden Planet in Nottingham.

Drabant
07-04-2005, 21:44
Picked it up today. Not having played the 1st edition, I must say it looks pretty darn nice. Now I just need to force some enem... friends to play it with me.

Asher
08-04-2005, 21:01
Thanks for the comments, guys. I have ordered it today and also the Beastiary book that will come out around 26th of April. Can't wait.

Jedi152
11-04-2005, 14:58
Best place I found to buy it was my new forbidden Planet in Nottingham.

How much is it in FP?

I plan to get mine from Travelling Man above Gamestation in the square.

Baggers
11-04-2005, 18:00
How much is it in FP?

I plan to get mine from Travelling Man above Gamestation in the square.

I paid 22.99 for it from Forbidden Planet, while my friend paid 24.99 from Game Station.

EDIT: Character creation is fun. Somehow I managed to roll up a Zealot who is repenting of her sins as a whore. GM the first night on wednesday, shall report back on how it went.

Baggers
14-04-2005, 17:29
Just to let you know my first thoughts. We played through the Sing for your Supper from the Plundered Vaults and my players and myself generally enjoyed it. The rules work well, but I personally found the price of some food items rather unfair and so I went on my own thoughts.

Heph
22-04-2005, 20:55
I'm goin Amazon, for all the books including the ones that are just out, it comes to 43.50.

-Edit- That is not including the books that have still to be published.

Arnizipal
24-04-2005, 18:03
I've heard some bad things about Amazon and delivery times.
Apparently some people are still waiting on their pre-ordered rulebooks. :eek:

Heph
27-04-2005, 18:54
I dun mind waiting as the only time everyone can make it is summer.

Baggers
27-04-2005, 22:35
Yeah Amazon appernently did not get enough copies in from thier suppliers anre now waiting for the next lot. New books out this week as well.

inquisitorautry
28-04-2005, 00:52
The new bestiary book is my favorite book of the new releases. It's nice that they set it up with a player's section and a game master's section as opposed to the way another game system presents their monster stats. That way players aren't supposed to know the stats for the monsters they are facing. Plus there is just something neat about having a clan Eshin 'scholar' describing the poisons that work on certain monsters.

Brandir
01-05-2005, 19:42
WHFRPG 2 seems an excellent system from reviews/previews etc. But would I get the time to rpg as well as my weekly fix of 40K?

I'll probably end up buying all the damned books!

Baggers
01-05-2005, 22:58
Go for it Brandir as they are some of the best books out there from GW. Its probably because Gw did not write them as such. Though I dont like the way the collums work.

Brandir
03-05-2005, 07:37
I bought it the other day. Just waiting for delivery. Every one of 'em that have been released.

Amazon do quite good deals on them (I've saved maybe 20%) and as the order is over 19 it is free delivery.

Just waiting for Mr Postman now.

Asher
03-05-2005, 17:08
I bought it the other day. Just waiting for delivery. Every one of 'em that have been released.

Amazon do quite good deals on them (I've saved maybe 20%) and as the order is over 19 it is free delivery.

Just waiting for Mr Postman now.

I too am waiting for the postman to deliver my Core Rule book and Beastiary (and some other stuff from Artefacts). Hope this won't take that long.

Brandir
08-05-2005, 13:55
Well. the core book and character sheets pack turned up on Friday, after taking a detour via Belfast! Isn't the Royal Mail wonderful?

Anyway, first impressions are that it is visually pleasing. Content wise I think that the core book is a little thin for 17.50 I spent on it (Amazon). A lot of the content will be superceeded in the coming months with other books - the bestiary, guide to the Empire, equipment book, and realms of sorcery.

But a good start and the adventure contained within seems OK. But again, I'm not a big fan of including adventures in core books - they become superfluos after use and if everyoen buys the book the scenario won't be playable.

Never mind. It is good to see that this RPG keeps the dark flavour that the Warhammer World has moved to.

I just hope that GW/BI/GR get the LOTR RPG licence ...........

Brandir
08-05-2005, 13:58
Ahh yes - another thing. The BI web site supporting this RPG is, well, simply not good enough.

Poor navigation and no exclusive/original downloads (except a bit of fan stuff) and a complete absence of any downloadable character sheet. Not the type of web support one expects in an RPG these days. And the forum posts indicate, to me, a product that hasn't sold many units.

Bubble Ghost
08-05-2005, 21:32
And the forum posts indicate, to me, a product that hasn't sold many units.
I'm curious as to how you can tell that. The BI forum contains many misery-guts old timers who bury their heads in the eclectic, badly-illustrated sand and aren't prepared to entertain the notion that the new version may have the odd redeeming quality - but that hardly represents a cross-section of the entire user base, and on other RPG forums the reception has been universally warm. So far, WFRP2 has actually exceeded sales expectations.

arxhon
11-05-2005, 00:23
Here's my thoughts on WFRP. I've actually played the game at this point, so this isn't just rampant speculation.

I've been playing the game off and on since it was originally released. The new edition cleans up a lot of the old issues (which may not mean anything to you, anyway :D ). In other words, the system is awesome.

Character creation is easy, and it emphasizes the whole "the world doesn't care about you, you suck rocks, and your life was boring. This is why you left to become and adventurer". I'm disappointed in the fact that they cut a lot of the really flavorful careers like Beggar and Torturer in favor of things like Priestess of Shallya, but you can't have everything, i suppose. That said, there is fan material already that fixes this issue. On the other hand, some more race specific careers have been added, so it's not a total wash.

For the setting, well, it's slightly lighter than 1e, mostly because of the changes required to bring it into line with WFB background. Personally, i've always considered the Storm of Chaos to be dumb, but ymmv.

The art is fairly decent all the way through, but i think it lacks a lot of the twisted flavor that Ian Miller brought to the game in the Realm of Chaos hardcovers. The book is pretty to look at, but it's like half the thickness of the old corebook, probably due to a lack of background info (which is coming out in another book anyway) and the removal of over half the careers.

Finally, the Bestiary....well, having only flipped through it, i'm of mixed feelings. Having Bob the peasant (or whoever it is) drawl on about this monster or that like it's all in a day's work to see a Jabberwock is really jarring. Also, i couldn't find Wolves, but that may be because i'm stupid.

Also: No fimir. :p

Arnizipal
11-05-2005, 15:35
Character creation is easy, and it emphasizes the whole "the world doesn't care about you, you suck rocks, and your life was boring. This is why you left to become and adventurer". I'm disappointed in the fact that they cut a lot of the really flavorful careers like Beggar and Torturer in favor of things like Priestess of Shallya, but you can't have everything, i suppose.
Torturer is still in there. It is now called Interrogater though.
Beggar has gone, but you now have carreers like Bone Picker and Camp Follower which are both Beggars of some sort.

Finally, the Bestiary....well, having only flipped through it, i'm of mixed feelings. Having Bob the peasant (or whoever it is) drawl on about this monster or that like it's all in a day's work to see a Jabberwock is really jarring. Also, i couldn't find Wolves, but that may be because i'm stupid.

Also: No fimir. :p
Try here... (http://www.hapimeses.com/Warhammer/Fimir.pdf)

And wolves are in there. Check the index for Giant Wolves.

Heph
16-05-2005, 18:33
Got me books last wednesday, they are nice. Already rolled up characters and it was really fun, specially when my friend rolled bonepicker as the halfling :p She gets a CART! One bad thing is that elves are unbalanced, they start with a bonus 20 overall compared to the over classes for their main stat line meaning that the most powerful character in our group is the one I am trying to find one to insult for the whole of the game :p Anyways, I think it is really nice, Watch out for my thwacky pole ( I rolled a dwarf watchman from Karak Izor(the vaults) meaning I get a pole and a lantern, but i'll be wacking folk with the pole.

Brandir
16-05-2005, 18:40
The next release is Ashes of Middenheim, on 2 June 05. It looks pretty good.

Hopefully the group I am establishing will be up for that lot of scenarios.

Tastyfish
24-05-2005, 01:47
Surely the bonus stats helps with the arrogance of elves and assists in pissing off the rest of the party in a ideal way though? What better way to represent resentment of the lower peoples for the fey folk by just making them superior?

Heph
24-05-2005, 13:03
I guess it does **** my Dwarf off alot.

Riddy
24-05-2005, 16:17
OK, i have a question about WFRP, being an experienced RPG story writer i would be able to knock out a storyline for any RPG, my first question is does WFRP support this, or would i need to bend a few rules to get home made plots to work. Secondly, is it easy to learn to GM and play, as the only RP experience i have is limited experience with Inquisitor and the people i would be GMing for are all RP n00bs.

Brandir
24-05-2005, 16:33
I think that the WFRP rules are extremely easy to use. Additionally, WHFB/WH40K players will find it easier due to some familiar terms. I can't compare it to Inquisitor as I have never played that game.

WFRP does support any old storyline. The only limit is, I suppose, is detail outside of The Empire (although any WHFB army book/novel should be enough) and the limited equipment/magic/monsters rules in the core book.