PDA

View Full Version : Landing troops

Anathema
17-01-2007, 12:38
Right, I just got my grubby little paws on the book last night and very nice it is too. However, with my quick skim through I picked up something I wasn't sure on.
After a transport has landed, how long does it take to offload its troops? By the RAW to me it looks like every single point of transported troops are offloaded at once, although this seems a bit silly that a Manta can get rid of all X amount of transported troops in the same time a Vampire only drops Y (X>Y (for copyright purposes:D)) for example.
Is this right?
So, if I'm right this is what happens:
Plane lands.
It is then assumed that ALL troops are off-loaded in between turns.
Next turn, plane takes off again.

Sound right, or have I missed something?

Spacker
17-01-2007, 13:40
Sounds right to me. Remeber that you don't have to offload ALL troops in one go - you can offload less than the full amount, and then you move to another location and offload more there. The Transport number represents how many you can drop in total for the game, not per landing.

CyberShadow
17-01-2007, 14:43
As far as I can tell, all troops are offloaded in the single turn. If it takes longer, then that is going to lead to some interesting moves in order to get jump troops offloaded into the correct landing zone - images of craft going backwards and forwards is entertaining! ;)

orangesm
17-01-2007, 14:48
Also aircraft made to drop troops into combat generally are able to quickly disembark. While the Manta has a huge Transport capacity vs well anything, its rear door is also huge - it also carries 4 Devilfish hulls, 10 Crisis Suits, and 48 Firewarriors without any issues. The first 2 can basicly jump out while the Manta has to slow down to disembark the Firewarriors. By contrast the Vampire has the rear access hatch that I think is not much larger than a Falcon or Wave Serpent.

Anathema
17-01-2007, 15:42
Sounds right to me. Remeber that you don't have to offload ALL troops in one go - you can offload less than the full amount, and then you move to another location and offload more there. The Transport number represents how many you can drop in total for the game, not per landing.

Sounds perfectly feasible to me (and could work extremely well in some missions tied in with 40K for example) but its not mentioned anywhere how its actually done.

As far as I can tell, all troops are offloaded in the single turn.

Now I'm all for flexibility so I may just take the interpretation that you can go for multiple drops if the mission requires it or one single drop if you want unless someone can find something specific to contradict this. I'm not really bothered either way, as I'm definitely looking at the fun aspect of AI above everything else.

Also aircraft made to drop troops into combat generally are able to quickly disembark. While the Manta has a huge Transport capacity vs well anything, its rear door is also huge - it also carries 4 Devilfish hulls, 10 Crisis Suits, and 48 Firewarriors without any issues. The first 2 can basicly jump out while the Manta has to slow down to disembark the Firewarriors. By contrast the Vampire has the rear access hatch that I think is not much larger than a Falcon or Wave Serpent.

Fair enough, I was just wondering what the rules say, if anything, on the matter.

Spacker
17-01-2007, 17:10
Sounds perfectly feasible to me (and could work extremely well in some missions tied in with 40K for example) but its not mentioned anywhere how its actually done.

Now I'm all for flexibility so I may just take the interpretation that you can go for multiple drops if the mission requires it or one single drop if you want unless someone can find something specific to contradict this. I'm not really bothered either way, as I'm definitely looking at the fun aspect of AI above everything else.

It doesn't say they are all dropped at once, neither does it say they are not. Seems a perfectly sensible interpretation though. However, I guess it doesn't really make any difference if you can or can't split them up, as you just gain VPs for each transport unit landed. I'll email FW and ask (I'll also ask if some can be dropped, and others can be landed).

If a scenario dictated that you need to land troops at different positions, and the squadron list only has one transport, that would infer that you can split up drops, but I don't remember seeing a set scenario like that.

UPDATE: got a reply from Warwick Kinrade (damn quick reply too!)

First up, my questions:

I was wondering if the rules on transport units can be clarified. Do all the transported units get unloaded in a single turn? Can the unloading be split up (eg if a scenario had 2 landing zones, and a transport has 4 units, can 2 be unloaded at one zone and 2 at the other, or do all 4 have to unload in the same zone)? Can Jump Troops be unloaded when landed? Could some transported Jump Troops units be dropped, and the rest landed?

The rules as they stand are a bit unclear, although common sense tells me that all can be unloaded in one turn, or can be split up.

and here's the reply from Warwick:

Your common sense has not let you down, you can split the troops over drop zones, jump troops can get out on the ground as well as jumping. It is assumed that once an aircraft has landed all the troops immediately get out. The time scale doesn't really require the detail of how long, just assume they can get out.

:)