PDA

View Full Version : What do the Ogre Kingdoms have going for them?

Your Mum Rang
17-01-2007, 12:02
I'm struggling to think of good things about the OK army. What works well? What sucks? What scares people?

I can't see!

eleveninches
17-01-2007, 12:51
High strength and toughness, despite their low model count and armour.

I've seen them perform really well against most armies, especially in smaller (1k) games, where their high toughness means that they dont encounter many uinits that can really harm them a lot

Avian
17-01-2007, 13:32
- Good basic Movement
- Causing Fear
- High number of Attacks
- High Strength
- Multiple Wounds
- Nasty fighter characters
- Cheap sacreficial units

See also this article: Ogre Kingdoms Army Basics (http://folk.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/tactics/ogre_basics.php)

Your Mum Rang
17-01-2007, 17:18
Ah nice one Avian!

I have a list in mind but should move it over to the army list forum.

What armies/elements of armies hurt Ogres most? How do Ogres win games?

kyussinchains
17-01-2007, 17:44
any army with massed shooting is tough for ogres to beat, ogres dont have much armour, so the volume of fire takes its toll quite heavily.

they can also struggle against horde armies with lots of flankers and outnumbering bonuses

Your Mum Rang
17-01-2007, 18:02
What things can you do to minimize these disadvantages?

Keller
17-01-2007, 19:59
Against heavy shooting armies, your higher movement (6) helps alot. The enemy won't have a lot of time to pummle you with missiles before you are on top of them, at which point you can roll right through them. You may take heavy casualties on the trip in, but even a few Ogres can evicerate most ranged units.

As for horde armies, they aren't such a problem IMO. Ogres do not rely on ranks, so flanking them is not that much help for the enemy. They will get 2-4 more infantry in contact, plus gain +1 for the flank. As long as you still have your front engaged, you should be able to rack up plenty of CR from kills. Those extra attacks from Gobbos or Skaven Slaves aren't that helpful, though not to be discounted entirely.

Fear, loads of attacks, impact hits, and devestating characters make the Ogres quite a capable army. I have an OK army, and have done quite well with it agaist most armies I have fought.

Sashu
18-01-2007, 01:39
Ogres do not rely on ranks, so flanking them is not that much help for the enemy. They will get 2-4 more infantry in contact, plus gain +1 for the flank. As long as you still have your front engaged, you should be able to rack up plenty of CR from kills. Those extra attacks from Gobbos or Skaven Slaves aren't that helpful, though not to be discounted entirely.

As a hoard player, the reason you hit the flanks of ogres isn't that you kill their rank bonus, it's that they will only get one guy that gets to attack.

lokigod
18-01-2007, 06:31
Hmm skirmishers tend to hurt ogres bad!!!! I play wood elfs and dont use alot of shooting, and have never lost to ogres. Only way to combat this though I can think of is deined flank and a very sloppy wood elf general.Oh you didnt list gut magic as one of there good points :) It can be really nice if used properly.

gORCUS
19-01-2007, 04:44
I'd pay double for the kineater bigname (reroll panic tests within 6"), it saves my butt quite regularly. Leadbelchers and gorgers scare the crap out of people for some reason, just the threat of gorgers can get some people to deploy strangely, and some will shoot at a two man unit of leadbelchers while your ironguts and tyrant are running at the heart of their army. A psychological advantage, perhaps?

DaBrode
19-01-2007, 05:52
Great post...I want to play Ogres for my next army so this helps ALOT! Keep it coming...

Malefactor
19-01-2007, 10:44
I have had an Ogre army since they first came out. Whilst having some initial success, my opponents quickly cottened on to the fact that defeating them is not so tough if you use lots of unpleasent shooting. I have since spent some time trying to get them to work as a competitive army and last night i managed to get that work. The key for me in a 2000 point game was taking two big units that could sledgehammer there way through anything, and setting them up in a refused flank position. Using lots of Gnoblars in the centre to protect my flanks was also a must. After 6 fantastic turns my Ogres stood triumphant over a 'glorious slaughter' of dead and fleeing Skaven.

The Ogre really have proved hard for me to get right but it seems to be coming together for me now. Just remember that they are not as simple an army to use as you might think they should be. Perservere with them and it will eventually work, as every defeat takes you one step closer to understanding their army.

cookiescrumble
19-01-2007, 10:59
Gut magic is awesome and the thing that has really done it for me is the Kick ass model range. I was also impressed with the Gnoblars, being two part models (you stick the head on) are well detailed.

Also it is different to all other armies i have played with and used correctly can be a very strong army.

tolcreator
19-01-2007, 11:52
Also, an ogre army has few models and so can be quicker to paint! My friend who plays ogres used the "dipping" method to paint an army of around 40 ogres in a few days.

MacVurrich
19-01-2007, 12:00
remember to allways take a mini of five models in a Bull unit

6 wounds before they drop below 25% is a nice tatic

Avian
19-01-2007, 12:27
What armies/elements of armies hurt Ogres most? How do Ogres win games?
The things that hurt most are units that move faster than Ogres do (though single unsupported units are not that hard to deal with) as well as any decent missile unit or war machines. My most hated enemy units are Slaanesh Chosen Knights and Skinks.
I don't think I have ever had much trouble defeating enemy armies mainly consisting of infantry and with not too much missile fire.

Ogres win combats by outmanoeuvering opponents, screening and baiting with cheaper units and with massive brutality in close combat.
And take as many Gnoblar units as you can. They are excellent value for their very low cost.

Keller
19-01-2007, 16:48
remember to allways take a mini of five models in a Bull unit

6 wounds before they drop below 25% is a nice tatic

I use my bulls in units of 3 with no equipment. They make for cheap units useful for baiting, but are still fairly capable fighters. I often back them up with a larger unit of 6-8, though I had been doing that less and less when I last played my Ogre army, preffering to use more Iron Guts.

And take as many Gnoblar units as you can. They are excellent value for their very low cost.
I always liked my gnoblars, but never found them to be as useful as I would have expected. Mine always seem to bicker for a few turns, making it hard for them to get into the fight. Trappers, on the other hand, are easily worth their weight in gold. They can do wonders to harass enemy units and distract them while your massive units of Ogres set up to smash the enemy to bits.

Avian
19-01-2007, 17:23
I always liked my gnoblars, but never found them to be as useful as I would have expected. Mine always seem to bicker for a few turns, making it hard for them to get into the fight.
Well, they are small and weedy and you can hardly blame them for being reluctant fighters. Have you considered that you just might be using them wrong? Gnoblars have a heap of uses that don't actually require them to go very far (or anywhere at all).

Uses for Gnoblar Fighters (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/gnoblar_fighters.php)