PDA

View Full Version : Watchman Rumours

truthsayer
17-01-2007, 19:51
Just had a quick flick through the Watchman and I must say from what Ive seen Im very impressed! :D I'll have a much more thorough look when Im home.

In the meantime Im just going to outline some of the rumours from Harry's (these are just a few that interested me, there are many more) page. they start at page 89 if you want to go right to them...

New Modular boards, trees and buildings. Its about time GW produced these 3 to be honest and i will definatley be buying some of the buildings. especially if one of the buildings can be connected with wall sections to make a fortified encampment.

Plastic Black Orcs!!! :eek: . Somehow they have managed to get pics of the sprue of the black orcs!! wow they look great.

Plastic Empire wizards!! These sound great, and its about time GW!!

Nemesis Campaign. Apparently there will be a special character released for every army! wow again.. if this is true hopefully they will be releasing some new dark elf characters.

Im going for a sit down...

Well done to all the lads that have been included in the making of "The Watchman" :evilgrin: (applause!)

Dont take my word for it though, If you havent looked yet, go now, waste no time.. go now!!

p.s. it could take a good 4-5 mins to download but its worth every second i tells ya ;)

The hair
17-01-2007, 19:56
what format is the Watchman, pdf?
If so, damn it - i dont have adobe. Any chance of posting a pic of the orc sprue harry (or anyone), or not on the grounds of meaning less people will download the watchman?

baphomael
17-01-2007, 19:56
Just had a quick flick throught the Watchman and I must say from what Ive seen Im very impressed! :D I'll have a much more thorough look when Im home.

In the meantime Im just going to outline some of the rumours from Harry's (these are just a few that interested me, there are many more) page. they start at page 89 if you want to go right to them...

New Modular boards, trees and buildings. Its about time GW produced these 3 to be honest and i will definatley be buying some of the buildings. especially if one of the buildings can be connected with wall sections to make a fortified encampment.

Plastic Black Orcs!!! :eek: . Somehow they have managed to get pics of the sprue of the black orcs!! wow they look great.

Plastic Empire wizards!! These sound great, and its about time GW!!

Nemesis Campaign. Apparently there will be a special character released for every army! wow again.. if this is true hopefully they will be releasing some new dark elf characters.

Im going for a sit down...

Well done to all the lads that have been included in the making of "The Watchman" :evilgrin: (applause!)

Dont take my word for it though, If you havent looked yet, go now, waste no time.. go now!!

Damn you man give us a link!!! With such tantalizing hints such as plastic black orc sprue pics it wont be long before a mob of angry Orc players are baying for blood!

truthsayer
17-01-2007, 19:59
Damn you man give us a link!!! With such tantalizing hints such as plastic black orc sprue pics it wont be long before a mob of angry Orc players are baying for blood!

The link is at the top of some of the pages.. if you cant find it go to the front page of the warseer website.

http://www.warseer.com/index.php

baphomael
17-01-2007, 20:00
The link is at the top of some of the pages.. if you cant find it go to the front page of the warseer website.

http://www.warseer.com/index.php

Sorry, I meant links to pictures...not everyone has acrobat.

truthsayer
17-01-2007, 20:08
Sorry, I meant links to pictures...not everyone has acrobat.

Heh Heh, sorry, slight misunderstanding there.. I dont know if it can be looked at seperately as its part of a page. Im sure Harry will put the pic up eventually. when everyone has looked at the Watchman that is..

Stouty
17-01-2007, 20:11
You can get acrobat for free IIRC, certainly worth it.

As for the rumours, it's a descent read

TKitch
17-01-2007, 20:18
(And you do need Acrobat for Watchman, imitation readers won't work with it.)

Paulus
17-01-2007, 20:25
Acrobat is available to download for free from Adobe's website & The Watchman can be downloaded from the home page of the site.

I would advise you download it to your hard drive though as it is huge & you'll be able to flick through it more easily.

I've set up a releases for this year thread which I'm listing things intended for release on & Harry had mentioned I might need to do a BIG update to the thread once The Watchman was released.

Was going to give it some time for people to download & read first before posting the rumours, but may as well post them now - Oh well! ;)

Voltaire
17-01-2007, 20:58
Something I kept back...

BlazeXI
17-01-2007, 21:40
Something I kept back...

Araby could be great for WFB...:rolleyes:

Voltaire, You and your team have done a great job! The longer wait was worth it. But I do not agree with you that Organ gun is not good against Beastmen. It is damn good against ambushing units!

Jedi152
17-01-2007, 21:44
We've been dying to mention this stuff since Harry's article ... but i'm so glad we made you wait!

Voltaire
17-01-2007, 22:39
Obviously it was Harry who got the pic :)

Killshot
17-01-2007, 22:48
Araby could be great for WFB...:rolleyes:

Araby is for Warmaster....

You guys did a fantastic job!

As for the rumors, the one's that excite me the most is the news about terrain! I am always on the look out for terrain. :)

Voltaire
17-01-2007, 22:52
The mention of Araby we had in the rumours article had something to it though, which was deleted "This is a sign of things to come" - i.e Araby appearing in WFB sometime in the future.

Killshot
18-01-2007, 04:55
The mention of Araby we had in the rumours article had something to it though, which was deleted "This is a sign of things to come" - i.e Araby appearing in WFB sometime in the future.

Ah okay, I think Araby would be a great addition to WFB. mmmmm...elephants......cataphracts......

bluesky322
18-01-2007, 05:48
i guess araby would be cool to see but it just dosnt seem to apeal to me i would prefer cathay or nippon

personaly though i loved hearing about the vampire count stuff

great job i will dream of whats to come for weeks now ;)

EmperorNorton
18-01-2007, 07:56
I'd start an Araby army in an instant.
But just how expensive would these elephants be?
Hopefully cheaper than the Mumak.

snurl
18-01-2007, 08:07
Just finished reading the whole thing and all I can say is that I want to cancel my White Dwarf subscription and start a new one to The Watchman, Wonderful job and obviously a lot of hard work. Thank You.

-Elephants for Araby? I found some small resin elephants about 4" from foot to top of the back - at a garden center where they sell decorations to stand in the garden, $7.50 each. Might pay to look.

Plastic Black orcs look cool.

Plastic Dragon kit_ cool but all I can think about is that old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yostmite Sam, as the black knight, keeps screaming "woah dragon" every time he wants it to stop. I have simply got to get one of these when they come out and convert a Dwarf to ride it. Not that I could use it, but it would be a cool model.

Astmeister
18-01-2007, 11:34
Where are those pictures of the black orcs and the new dragon? (page?)

Paulus
18-01-2007, 11:40
There's no picture of the Dragon, the Black Orc's are at the very top of page 84.

BryanC
18-01-2007, 14:53
I am a Long time Lurker on these boards, but i finnally made an account to say how much i enjoyed the watchman PDF. I think it was well put together, and i loved all the articals. Great job guys. Whens the next one

WarbossKurgan
18-01-2007, 14:59
The plastic Black Orcs look awesome!

I'm really struggling with Watchman though - it's such a massive file it takes ages to update each page as I'm browsing through it! :eyebrows:

Good work from what I've seen so far though!

Jedi152
18-01-2007, 15:00
Thank's a lot BryanC! Glad you enjoyed it, your thanks should be aimed at Voltaire.

We're aiming to get one out each quarter, so we're looking at one every 3 months.

All comments about the size are duly noted, and is something that we will be looking at solving for the next issue.

lord_blackfang
18-01-2007, 15:07
So, how about a better picture of those orc sprues? The one in the Watchman is so small I could hardly tell how many models there are per sprue, let alone identify individual bits.

WarbossKurgan
18-01-2007, 15:10
So, how about a better picture of those orc sprues? The one in the Watchman is so small I could hardly tell how many models there are per sprue, let alone identify individual bits.

Better pics from Harry (via Dosadi's Maw on Da Warpath!)

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/355/blork2ri7.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4250/blork1tk9.jpg

Paulus
18-01-2007, 15:12
Wow! They really do look as good as the metal one's & anyone who's got the metal one's already won't feel they have to replace the unit.

EvC
18-01-2007, 15:19
Good god, the models come with separate legs?! That's both awesome and insane. How many models is that per box, do you think?

lord_blackfang
18-01-2007, 15:19
Thanks. Look like good sculpts, but I'm a bit miffed about the way they're cut. Except for the heads, they're completely incompatible with any other Ork/Orc plastic kit :mad:

Arhalien
18-01-2007, 15:21
Will this box be coming with all the weapon options for black orcs?

EvC
18-01-2007, 15:24
I see Great Weapons, I see many hand weapons, I see shields. The answer is clearly yes :)

Arhalien
18-01-2007, 15:25
So you do :) I was confused by the shields, I was expecting them to be round like the standard ork shields rather than the 'toofy' shields in the box.

Paulus
18-01-2007, 15:26
Will this box be coming with all the weapon options for black orcs?

Can only see the options for a great weapon & single hand weapon, although I wouldn't be suprise if there's an additional hand weapon option in there some where.

Arhalien
18-01-2007, 15:28
There seem to be right and left handed hand weapons in there.

These look good.

lord_blackfang
18-01-2007, 15:34
It's hard to make it all out, but I think there aren't enough bits to arm all models the same. The options are GW, 2xHW or HW+S, right? I think you only get about 3-4 sets of each.

Paulus
18-01-2007, 15:34
There seem to be right and left handed hand weapons in there.

These look good.

So there are, I missed the left handed one's. Look's like you get the lot! :D

Arhalien
18-01-2007, 15:37
It's hard to make it all out, but I think there aren't enough bits to arm all models the same. The options are GW, 2xHW or HW+S, right? I think you only get about 3-4 sets of each.

I think there;s quite a bit of the sprue we canlt see properly, the heads are only just on there. I;d imagine all the options are on their in large enough quantities. If GW are starting to not provide enough parts then they may as well commit suicide as a company, and I very much doubt that;s going to happen.

Edit: jsut had a look and I think the pics are missing half of each of the end sprues. May be best to ask Harry when he next comes on.

lord_blackfang
18-01-2007, 15:40
I think there;s quite a bit of the sprue we canlt see properly, the heads are only just on there. I;d imagine all the options are on their in large enough quantities. If GW are starting to not provide enough parts then they may as well commit suicide as a company, and I very much doubt that;s going to happen.

Well, black orcs actually carry about ALL the weapon options, right? So WYSIWYG is not an issue. Not providing enough of one option might be meant to encourage a less orderly looking unit.

Of course my eyes could be deceiving me.

EvC
18-01-2007, 15:52
So you do :) I was confused by the shields, I was expecting them to be round like the standard ork shields rather than the 'toofy' shields in the box.

Yes, when I was looking at them at first I had to ask myself if those shields were actually the large mouthguards the Black Orcs wear!

Of course the question of whether they have additional hand weapons and great weapons in the box is a bit redundant, since Black Orcs are "armed to da teef" as standard. These aren't options like the shields are, they're mandatory...

Arhalien
18-01-2007, 15:57
ah ok, didn;t know that. That would explain why the army box came with 5GW and 5 2HWs and nobody complained. Maybe they don;t have all the available options for every model then.

Sylass
18-01-2007, 16:00
Aha! So the pictures of the Black Orc sprue finally managed to make their way to the web?

At least I can add the pictures to the Rumour Roundup now...was quite hard to hold them back all this time, watching all the rumours and speculations connected to them! :D

lord_blackfang
18-01-2007, 16:15
Yes, when I was looking at them at first I had to ask myself if those shields were actually the large mouthguards the Black Orcs wear!

I thought they were shoulder pads :angel:

At least I can add the pictures to the Rumour Roundup now...was quite hard to hold them back all this time, watching all the rumours and speculations connected to them! :D

And just how many other secrets are you holding back, pray tell? :evilgrin:

Arhalien
18-01-2007, 16:17
The secret that he is in fact a vampire, not just someone who likes bats? People are full of all sorts of secrets
Have i got that right Sylass? :p

Dr Death
18-01-2007, 16:17
Nice models (but then the black orcs only were) but increasingly single pose- not too impressed by that little feature. That said the old black orcs werent exactly swimming with posability (and not just because they were metal).

Dr Death

silverstu
18-01-2007, 17:06
Firstly - great job with the watchman- had a quick browse through and there is loads to check out- brilliant and inspiring.
Secondly- Harry- thanks for such a top rumour article- loads to look forward to in the future of fantasy- after kitting out my dwarfs some more i think i may be starting a vamps army- if i have any cash after all the terrain ...
third- those black orcs look fantastic- cool enough to turn a dwarf player green..

WarbossKurgan
18-01-2007, 21:32
Nice models (but then the black orcs only were) but increasingly single pose- not too impressed by that little feature. That said the old black orcs werent exactly swimming with posability (and not just because they were metal).

Dr Death
:wtf: Really?

I can see lots of different poses being possible with these bitz - they are far from single pose from what I can see!

DaBrode
18-01-2007, 23:17
I see Great Weapons, I see many hand weapons, I see shields. The answer is clearly yes :)

Shields?

Are those shields or are those extra huge shoulders for the boss and standard bearer?

Yeah I don't see those as shields.

jullevi
19-01-2007, 07:09
Yeah I don't see those as shields.

I see two parts to make a drum for the musician. Don't know what the other two parts are, though.

Lordsaradain
19-01-2007, 08:08
Anyone know how many black orcs you'll get in the box? I can see 5 on the sprue, but you must get at least ten right? (or prehaps 15?)

75hastings69
19-01-2007, 09:02
I see two parts to make a drum for the musician. Don't know what the other two parts are, though.

the other 2 parts are shields.

ashc
19-01-2007, 09:23
hi guys,

Im glad you appreciated the rumours - all thanks go to Harry for the whole lot.

I see there is some watchman feedback; just thought I would point out the presence of the feedback thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65263) for all your comments.

thanks

Ash

Badger
19-01-2007, 09:27
The secret that he is in fact a vampire, not just someone who likes bats? People are full of all sorts of secrets
Have i got that right Sylass?

he hates the sun and his skin is nearly SKULL WHITE!

greetings Badger

Arhalien
19-01-2007, 09:56
he hates the sun and his skin is nearly SKULL WHITE!

greetings Badger

So it;s fortress grey atm?

ashc
19-01-2007, 10:00
this should probably be brought back on topic, rumours discussed in the Watchman.

Anyone surprised at the future removal of Mordheim? I can understand they want to incorporate the skirmish game into normal warhammer, but i found that in 6th edition that was pretty pants. Mordheim was infinitely better, and to me an incredibly rich place of background and story; be a real shame to see it go but at least there is nothing stopping me from playing it.

Ash

Jedi152
19-01-2007, 10:04
I've always wanted to play it, i love the doom-laden atmosphere, so i hope they don't do away with the background to the game and re-set it in the modern day.

Although i guess there are plenty of ruined cities around after SoC.

Paulus
19-01-2007, 10:15
I think the intention is just to keep the Mordheim rules set as a Warhammer Skirmish expansion for WHFB & that no reference to Mordheim will be made.

Of course I could be completley wrong, wouldn't be the first time. :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-01-2007, 10:21
That didn't made a whole lot of sense to me either, replacing Mordheim. Unless they retain the campaing system and everything, and just updates and repackage it as 'Warhammer Skirmish'. I think it would be rather sad to see Mordheim as a system disappear, not terribly balanced(or at least didn't seemed to be when I last played it), but quite good fun. I can't help but feel that if it really becomes 'nothing but' warhammer skirmish that it's losing out.

Aside from that, to me it sounds as a pretty slim year for Warhammer. Mighty Empires sounds interesting, but most likely it's not something I/we would use very much if at all round here. Summer campaing, if all it features is a few special characters doesn't sound very appealing either, although I'll have to see more about that. Still, I haven't yet actually managed to play games for any summer campaign so far...

It's good to see Dwarfs, Empire and OnG get more models, but those armies are recent releases, and not nearly as exciting as another army release(IMO).

Could just be my armies etc that makes it seem slim, but there didn't seemed to be much I'd be interested in until whenever they do high elves(so fairly late apparently). Wonder if that sort of release schedual is going to become the norm.

Paulus
19-01-2007, 10:35
Wonder if that sort of release schedual is going to become the norm.

I don't think it will become the norm.

To me it appears that GW have listened to veteran gamers complaints that all the focus has been on bringing in kids whilst ignoring the long term fans (they even went as far as to admit that in a recent news paper article) & that is why a lot of time this year is being spent on terrain/supplements.

I also think that the reason's were not seeing any army releases for a while are:

1) High Elves probably need a lot of play testing to get right this time, as we all know the points costs have just not been proportionate at all.

This will need to be done before they can really begin work on the book properly.

2) Vampire Count's need a lot more work than initially thought. According to the rumours a vast amount of there range is being replaced.

They will need to make prototypes, gain approval, alter them & go back to the drawing board again.

So these aren't even as close as High Elves yet.

3) No other armies can be released as they're not even as far along as High Elves or Vampire Counts.

I personally would rather wait for things rather than have them release an inferior product just for the sake of releasing something.

The only other armies I see posing these long development problems are Dark Elves & Chaos (if it's true that they want to bring them all back to one book but still as seperately playable armies), after that I would expect releases will speed up.

kostoglot
19-01-2007, 10:44
such a great news. New Black orcs models are perfect. I dislike metal so plastic is the real good thing ^)
Looking forward for new Watchmens. Good luck

Harry
19-01-2007, 11:01
Thank's a lot BryanC! Glad you enjoyed it!

Should you not be joining the rest of us in congratulating Voltaire for all his hard work in pulling this together. Credit where credit is due.

Anyone know how many black orcs you'll get in the box? I can see 5 on the sprue, but you must get at least ten right? (or prehaps 15?)
I am going to guess, based on the Empire boxes, they will come in Tens. But maybe they will also come in 5's like the Greatswords?

Anyone surprised at the future removal of Mordheim? I can understand they want to incorporate the skirmish game into normal warhammer, but i found that in 6th edition that was pretty pants. Mordheim was infinitely better, and to me an incredibly rich place of background and story; be a real shame to see it go but at least there is nothing stopping me from playing it.

Ash
My understanding is that specialist games are just not selling so they will be bringing them back 'in house' and linking them to the core games to increase their fan base/sales.

I think the intention is just to keep the Mordheim rules set as a Warhammer Skirmish expansion for WHFB & that no reference to Mordheim will be made.

Of course I could be completley wrong, wouldn't be the first time. :D
I think you might be.

[QUOTE=Gorbad Ironclaw;1228527]That didn't made a whole lot of sense to me either, replacing Mordheim. Unless they retain the campaing system and everything, and just updates and repackage it as 'Warhammer Skirmish'. I think it would be rather sad to see Mordheim as a system disappear, not terribly balanced(or at least didn't seemed to be when I last played it), but quite good fun. I can't help but feel that if it really becomes 'nothing but' warhammer skirmish that it's losing out.

I get the feeling they want to create a system where you can play smaller games but still choosing from the normal army lists. It makes for lots of interesting tactical choices instead of just automatically choosing units in blocks of 20 the choice of each halberdier or archer becomes a compromise. It is quite fun when you try it. The various 'Border Patrol', 'Chaos warbands', 'Brettonian Retinues' systems, etc, that exist on the web are all great fun to play. Having said that I can't see them ditching the 'gangs' approach either. Maybe they will combine the option of Mordheim warbands as they are with other ways of creating small armies all in one supplement. Fingers crossed.

Aside from that, to me it sounds as a pretty slim year for Warhammer. Mighty Empires sounds interesting, but most likely it's not something I/we would use very much if at all round here. Summer campaing, if all it features is a few special characters doesn't sound very appealing either, although I'll have to see more about that. Still, I haven't yet actually managed to play games for any summer campaign so far...

I didn't say that was all that was coming. That was just one snippet I had heard.

t's good to see Dwarfs, Empire and OnG get more models, but those armies are recent releases, and not nearly as exciting as another army release(IMO).

Could just be my armies etc that makes it seem slim, but there didn't seemed to be much I'd be interested in until whenever they do high elves(so fairly late apparently). Wonder if that sort of release schedual is going to become the norm
You are falling into a trap of taking rumours as fact. so far only one rumour has suggested December for High Elves. All I have said is that they are later than I originally heard and I think after the summer campaign. But I wouldn't be falling into the trap of taking this as a fact either.:D

Can I say to everyone who has expressed thanks or appreciation for these rumours either in posts or via PM that it is much appreciated and I am glad it has gone down well despite my shocking spelling and Grammar.
Can I also express my thanks to everyone who has shared rumours with me, however small, even if I had heard it already. Every snippet is valuable, every conformation helpful. Many Thanks.

All the best
Harry

Jedi152
19-01-2007, 11:07
Should you not be joining the rest of us in congratulating Voltaire for all his hard work in pulling this together. Credit where credit is due.
I have done so by PM.

Just so it's in public: All thanks go to Voltaire - he has worked very hard on this project.

Original post edited. I don't want anyone trying to think i'm taking credit for this.

WarbossKurgan
19-01-2007, 11:12
Well I for one think "Warhammer Skirmish" would be great. I love the smaller (more character/story driven) games and since Mordheim isn't getting any support anything that increases the chances of some Skirmish interest is a good thing.

Paulus
19-01-2007, 11:22
Well I for one think "Warhammer Skirmish" would be great. I love the smaller (more character/story driven) games and since Mordheim isn't getting any support anything that increases the chances of some Skirmish interest is a good thing.

I agree, Necromunda & Gorkamorka were/still are two of my favourite GW games (even though I'm not a fan of 40K) due to the fact that each mini seems to have more of a purpose.

Skirmish will allow beginners to get into the game more quickly without having to spend vast amounts of money & allows a bit of variation to veterans games/campaigns.

Harry
19-01-2007, 11:25
Also allows others to dabble in an army they might otherwise not invest in.

Paulus
19-01-2007, 11:30
Also allows others to dabble in an army they might otherwise not invest in.

Very true! I like the idea even more now, gives me an excuse to paint a bit of everything. :D

Killshot
19-01-2007, 14:07
Skirmish games are always a good way to break into a new army. Nothing like actually playing a game with the single regiment box you bought and are itching to try out. I think it is a good idea.

Hey Harry, nothing about seige games? I don't have the Watchman up in front of me and I can't remember anything about it. GW is releasing a Warhammer Ancient Battles seige supplement pretty soon too.

Ender Shadowkin
19-01-2007, 16:46
I've never really tried skirmash, but I have had a great time with the Warbands rules they put out. The nice thing about it is that it really user the Core warhammer rules so its great for teching new guys. Is there any chance they are going to refine and combine these rules into this new skirmash book? So that it is more of a small battles compendium?

They will need to bring the Mordheim rules more in line with warhammer. I'm guessing they will try and write these new rules to be a solid leadin to fantasy battles, something that people can get started with by just purchasing a few miniatures (or start to launch a new miniature collection as you guys mentioned above). Sounds like a very astute marketing manauver, and good for the game.

Harry
19-01-2007, 16:59
You guys understand I don't know anything here, right?
This is just Harry speculating about what they might do.
No winks;) , No Gasps.:eek:

It could be part of Mighty Empires/Generals compendium redux, (if indeed that is what is happening!) it could be part of a skirmish release. It may never happen!

Arhalien
19-01-2007, 17:02
What! Harry doesn't know something? The horror! :p

T10
19-01-2007, 17:02
Plastic Black Orcs! Great. Well, I guess if I hurry I can finish the 40 metal ones I already have. *sigh*

-T10

Harry
19-01-2007, 17:06
Check out my painting article in The Watchman...theres nothing to it!:D

sulla
19-01-2007, 19:42
Plastic Black Orcs! Great. Well, I guess if I hurry I can finish the 40 metal ones I already have. *sigh*

-T10

:D Just buy a box of plastics and use them as the front rank of all your metal boyz... sexy looks and numbers. :evilgrin:

policy-boy
19-01-2007, 22:26
Firstly nice one on the watchman :)
Secondly ive noticed with the blorcs that position wise two of the orcs are positioned so that they HAVE to have double handed weapons, as both the arm sockets are facing upwards, if you get the pics of the sprues front towards you then its the two on the top right, whilst i think the other three have two hand weapons.

Thirdly i like them a lot, but im not too happy about the whole one pose thing, still room to convert!

bluesky322
20-01-2007, 00:41
i cant wait for the blorcs my small ten man unit in my army always gets torn to shreds (man am i cheap with my small units)

lord_blackfang
20-01-2007, 10:57
Anyone surprised at the future removal of Mordheim?

How do you remove something that practically isn't being supported anyway? :p

Jonahmaul
20-01-2007, 14:30

-T10

You could always ebay them & then use the money to buy plastic ones when they come out....

I don't see them removing Mordheim as much of a problem. I love the game along with Necromunda, Blood Bowl & Warhammer Quest which are also not supported much, if at all.

However, it is still easy to play these games as gaming groups & even GW games nights still have leagues/campaigns of all of them (less so with Quest), and it is very unlikely GW wil stop selling the models completely. As long as the rules are still around & you have the models to play (which can usually be converted from other models anyway) a game isn't going to just die.

OliverPhoenix
21-01-2007, 22:35
I like the look of the new Black orc sprue and I never had any intention or the money to spend 70 just for 20 metal Black orcs which were 40 when first released,now it will be a lot cheaper to make multiple Black orc units which are easy to customize and will look more varied on the tabletop.

Also props to everyone who worked on the Watchman,it was a very informative and interesting read and I look foward to the next issue.

I guess I'll have to start saving up for future releases,a new addition of Mordheim was one of the last things I was expecting though...

Glorfindel
22-01-2007, 09:55
Erhm guys, there is a part missing in the Dark elf part, between two pages some of the general his equipment went missing, I presume you equipped him with a deathmask but it's not there. The equipment is rather strange though, I don't think he'll even wound a chaos lord or orc warboss :P

Your article looks very promising btw but have you considered using horizontal A4 pages? I mean A4 lying down? This way you don't have to scroll down to read a single page and you can just skip pages with the arrows. I learned this for my praticum of Typography and Layout for my digital portfolio.

WarbossKurgan
22-01-2007, 12:22
have you considered using horizontal A4 pages? I mean A4 lying down? This way you don't have to scroll down to read a single page and you can just skip pages with the arrows. I learned this for my praticum of Typography and Layout for my digital portfolio.
Didn't the good folk who made Firebase try that and get a massive thumbs down from most people? :cries:

Glorfindel
22-01-2007, 13:48
Didn't the good folk who made Firebase try that and get a massive thumbs down from most people? :cries:

Why the hell would they give thumbs down? It improves reading a lot and it's easier to skip pages (you don't have to scroll, you just have to click on the "next page" arrow) and you never get those ugly totally messed up looks like when you scroll down. It also makes it a lot easier to have a standard layout for each page which doesn't have too be loaded each time and gives a great uniform look.

I would also change a little on the fonts and their colors. Tone down the colors a bit when you have a white/light colored background (their wow flashy at times :D ) and vice versa when you have a dark colored background and take a bit of a more consistent font because while I read your articles I saw the font just going thicker and thinner without an apparent use of bold or regular. I would advise a thicker font.

Also I wonder what you used to create this article, was it Adobe Indesign?

Ps. Sorry for the critizism but I see great potential and I would like to see you transform this in a worthy concurrent for a white dwarf :D I am in no way fully schooled yet in graphical and digital layout but my first semester already taught me a these few tricks. Thumbs certainly up overall!

PPs. If you would ever need somebody to help you with certain stuff, contact me, I would love to assist you wherever possible!

Kendo
22-01-2007, 14:20
I really enjoyed reading this. I'm very much looking forward to skirmish rules and Mighty Empire style campaign rebirth. I enjoyed playing it back in the day. It is this sort of attention to more gaming depth which might get me spending more time with my various Warhammer armies this summer.

Daniel36
22-01-2007, 20:30
I would like to comment on the "Mordheim Removal" bit... First of, we have all the rules don't we? Who cares if they don't get an update, most of the people here seem to dislike GW updates anyhows, so I'd say rejoice!

Plus, I doubt it will go that far... I mean, they are still updating the Specialist site aren't they? Why update for a dying game? And this and other sites seem to be doing quite fine keeping the Specialist games alive! Heck, you guys are doing such a wonderful job on creating cool magazines (way cooler than the WD fo sho!), if everything goes to hell you can always take over what GW foolishly abandoned... You have plenty of support here!

And on that note, , Games Workshop, of course Specialist Games aren't selling!! Cuz you're not selling it!!! If they don't want anyone, retailer or GW store, to sell Specialist boxes (except with Direct Order) then of COURSE no one is going to start playing, most of the core players don't even know of their existence... Maybe instead of turning it into something else you could start putting it into te shops? Oh well... I will not stop playing Mordheim just cuz Games Workshop (or my boss) doesn't want me to play it! HA! POWER TO US!!!