PDA

View Full Version : 40k scale, Inquisitor rules

Voltaire
18-01-2007, 10:47
Does anyone play Inquisitor using 40k scale models?

I have given some thought to it but thought it would detract some of the character of the game, though in reality it seems more logical to do things this way rather than spending a bomb on a load of Inquisitor miniatures.

Whats your opinion?

chromedog
18-01-2007, 10:53
I have run a rather successful 28mm =I= game in the past. It'd be even easier these days with all of the figs available for Daemonhunters and Witchhunters. Necromunda figs fit in as well. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper on the terrain, as you can use regular 28mm scale buildings and things.

inq.serge
18-01-2007, 16:47
I was thinking of playing 28, but..

Once you tried 54, you never go back.

I even have a 54 scale Baneblade!

There's no problem using "Inq28" (As it is also called), but all ranged should be mesured in half " so 1y = "

Lord Inquisitor
18-01-2007, 16:48
Or - much easier - just use 1yd=1cm.

Bubble Ghost
18-01-2007, 17:31

In my experience, that looks easier but it doesn't play right. The scale is slightly wrong - it feels like none of the guns shoot far enough and everyone's running through shallow water. 1 yard = 1/2 inch is much better.

MacVurrich
18-01-2007, 17:41
Played it a 40k scale a number of times

getting a new campaign going at the club again soon
easier to get started and great fun

AventineCrusader
19-01-2007, 06:05
I have played both 28 and 54 scale, both are great. But, the biggest reason that 28 is better IMO, is that it is more readily accessable to everybody, most people have a few 40k scale human figures to use already. And obviously more people= a better campaign. Also, I'll say converting =I= scale models is really fun, but converting some really awesome 28mm models, with all the eccentric wargear is really rewarding aswell. My .02...

Crusader

vampking111
19-01-2007, 17:15
I've only ever played Inq28, so my view is a bit biased but meh!

Inq 28 has good sides and down sides, good side is every one has at least one human figure, and weapons are easier to convert.
Also if they dont have a human figure then the can always easily get one from a friend.

Bad sides are that most newbs (to the game of Inquistor and fairly new to 40K) will probably want to play with a Space Marine character, which as anyone who has played a game of =][= with a SM characte will know is over powered.

Ranges can be changed, but in most of our games, both one offs and campainges, we've done the range of 1 inch = 1 yard, this is a little off, but simpler than doing it by halfs.

This is just my view Also, I have GMed Inq28 before and its is a lot easier to find people to play it. as they dont have to shell out a fair amount for a single figure they may not use again.

Rabid Bunny 666
19-01-2007, 23:28

Thats how it was down Maidenhead, worked fine, the only major factor is the GM and the other players.

The smaller scale is great, as you have more room to move around, as well as more NPC options.

FlyingViking
20-01-2007, 14:27
We have quite a few 28mm and 54mm models, but we've only actually played =I= at 28mm. The main reason? Scenery. We have loads of 28mm scenery, but putting together from scratch, and storing, 54mm scenery is offputting.
The 54mm models are excellent, and I have 10 of them, but unlikely we'll ever play with them, unless we find the time to use the dedicated =I= table at Warhammer World (which happens to be my local GW store).

precinctomega
20-01-2007, 20:03
I've never found scenery to be a problem. About 75% of the 28mm scenery at my club and about the same proportion of that found at WHW works as well at 54mm as it does at 28mm. The new Imperial City ruins only emphasize that.

R.

chromedog
23-01-2007, 21:44
We use the old 1"=1yd scale. It works for us. It changes the weapon ranges into something more impressive. Most tt games don't use a 'realistic' scale for weapons range as you'd need a football pitch to play on.

precinctomega
24-01-2007, 11:01
Well, first up weapon ranges in INQ are infinite. It's just the modifiers that change. Second, it's all very well playing 1"-1 yard at 28mm, but you quickly discover that every character can move like The Flash.

R.

Vattendroppe
25-01-2007, 07:24
Me and some friends used to play Inq with 40K scale models. We didn't change any of the rules exept for playing one yard as half an inch I think. Worked out nice and fine :)

Data007
08-02-2007, 04:14
At my local GW, we play Inquisitor in 28 mm scale, and yes, it does make it more accessible. It allows me to run a pair of neophytes where two 54 mm Scouts would be much more time intensive. And, it allows my companion/competition to use a band of Eldar that there aren't models for. Although, I will take the scale up in advisement. My Scouts can run across the field with a good action roll. provided they aren't sticking their collective fingers up each other's noses... (yeah, rolled a lot of ones lately)

precinctomega
08-02-2007, 09:15
It allows me to run a pair of neophytes where two 54 mm Scouts would be much more time intensive. And, it allows my companion/competition to use a band of Eldar that there aren't models for.

Yes... well... nuff said, really.

R.

Charax
08-02-2007, 12:03
You know what's fun in Inq28? Space Hulk boards. I ran a few linked scenarios where the Inquisitor was infiltrating a penal transport and there were some escaped convicts on the loose. that was FUN. Of course, with the new enbiggenated Space Hulk boards, you can play in 54mm too!

I've also played Inq28 to test out Necron rules with a friend, but 54mm is SO much better.

SO MUCH BETTER

*Attempts Distraction*
[dice0]
Look! a Bunny!

Rictus
08-02-2007, 19:06
I did try Inquisitor at 54mm scale at first but 28mm is so much easier and opens the game up with many more possibilities. With such a variety of models in our armies we can play just about any scenario we like. Plus we can use the terrain we built for 40k and my old Space Hulk boards (I knew it was a good idea to keep them all these years, I've still got the Advanced Space Crusade ones somewhere, I'm sure I can work them in somewhere).

Scale wise we just take 1 yard = half an inch.

blueskull_psychopath
14-02-2007, 14:00
ive played 2 games of inquisitor, ever. one at 28mm and the other at 54, they wer eboth really fun but the 54 was better (it was only last night actually) but mainly because there were more people playing in it. i dont personally own any 54mm models but a staff member at my local store has about a million so there was plenty of choice.
i used an arbite with a cyber mastiff, it was the first game of a campaign run by one of the regulars and i found it really enjoyable.

sam

studderigdave
18-02-2007, 16:08
54 for me, i like converting the larger models.

Storlock
01-03-2007, 19:14
i have played many 28mm games and all of them were successful but i prefer the 54mm because there more fun to paint and build also it makes the game funner

The_Hrud
04-03-2007, 16:19
using a cm as a yard makes things simpler. this gives you a wide scope of races, but not so many different humans to use.

Kriegsherr
20-03-2007, 01:13
we play 28mm =I= in our group, and convert 1 yard to 1". Has worked very well for us, and I like my scratchbuilt veterans and desperados with converted assault rifles very much. There are just more minis available and more parts for 28mm minis.

Comrade JC
26-03-2007, 21:56
My friends and I typically play with 28mm models, but leave the scale alone. Compared to 40k, this makes things shoot really far and move quite quickly. With a large, detailed board however I find it works great. Assault rifles actually seem to have some range to them.

precinctomega
27-03-2007, 10:49
I tried the method above and I know it's proved popular with many people. I found that the apparent distances that characters could sprint were frightening, though.

It is useful if you plan on using a 6'x4' board, though.

R.

TCUTTER
27-03-2007, 18:35
i only ever use normal scale minis as it means much more flexability, for example i bought both inquistor boxed sets for the daemon hunters and witchhunters, hey presto 2 warbands, since then ive added minis from different companies such as hasslefree so i could have a female inquistor and what not, plus it goes without saying how much easier the terrain is to use because of this.

Minibull
27-03-2007, 18:56
A question for those who use 54mm (from some one who doesn't have any =I= models that size) - do the larger 28mm figures such as the new Nurgle daemon prince and fantasy ogres match up well with the 54mm or do they still look smallish?

precinctomega
28-03-2007, 12:13
The Daemon Prince model (vanilla or Nurgle) lacks the stature of a true Space Marine but certainly looks imposing beside a normal human.

The OK plastics are often used to represent squat characters... such as Squats! I've used a 40k Ogryn as a very passable Squat Engineer.

The LOTR Trolls make great mutants, as do the Chaos Trolls from the WFB range.

Probably the best 40k/INQ cross-over is the use of plastic Ork arms on regular sized humans. They work perfectly with a little judicious filing down of claws. For more useful bits and bobs from the regular range that work at 54mm, look at the IMRI:

http://www.geocities.com/precinctomega/inquis/IMRI.htm

Regards,

R.

Gre'setal
29-03-2007, 17:53
Hiya, I am personally in favor of 24mm models cos you have a wider selection of models and more people willing to play if they know your can use 40k models. I had a good campgain going for a while using 40k models. Plus the terrian i have is to scale.

Oli

Voltaire
07-04-2007, 04:22
I'm starting a 28mm campaign soon, so I'll provide all with feedback on how that went...

british nut
08-04-2007, 20:08
28mm is the easyist and the cheapest way to play inquisitor. i prefer it at 28mm because it means that we can use things that you can't always use in 54mm, like orcs and i just ran a 28mm campaign of inquisitor with orcs as the main enemy so its nicer to use it in 28mm

Marcel
11-04-2007, 05:42
we just use 40K models, and a yard equals a half inch. that it. we save money on terrain and our game master plays imperial gaurd anyway. the plastic sprues for gaurd and free company allow for some cool characters.

Sarison
15-04-2007, 04:28
yeah this guy is right, one yard to half inch is best. i mean, think about it:
28mm:54mm as 1/2in:1in it only make sence to play it that way.