PDA

View Full Version : The Steam Tank- My review

damiengore
18-01-2007, 17:43
So I've got an opportunity over the last two weeks to play a few games against my mates ST. I play O&G and these are the things I noticed:

1. It's a really safe investment of 300 points. Seriously, the likelyhood of your opponent completely destroying this wretched thing are practically nil and if he does manage to do it he will have to concentrate so much effort on it that a good junk of the rest of your army will be unmolested.

2. The cannons are just there for amusement. It is a total waste (except the steam cannon against certain troops in hth) to use steam points to fire the weapons. Especially the cannon.

3. Steam points should be used to move. The ST belongs in one place and that's grinding happily or in the very least holding up indefinetly your choice of enemy nasty unit. Being unbreakable, T6 and a 1+ armour save basically means the thing isn't going anywhere. I also think that if deployed carefully and thoughtfull the ST should always be moving towards the enemy.

4. Belongs on a flank. Stay away from enemy concentrated force. Against enemies that advance it should move to flank them and against enemies that hold it should move to flank them. Always flank.

5. Be safe, always err on the side of safety when generating SP's. My friend always tried to push it and he always ate it, I would recommend trying for a 1in3 ratio of something going wrong at the MAX. I think:

10 remaining- 4 SP's
9, 8- wounds 3 SP's
7, 6 or 5 wounds 2 SP's
less than 5 wounds- 1 SP

6. The paper weight or Diminshing Returns. Bottom line is you have to expect that at some point the ST will be rendered ineffective, somewhere around turn 3 or 4, 5 if you are REALLY lucky the ST will no longer be able to do anything, it will become as one poster claimed, a paper weight. Well if it is going to be a paper weight the best place for it is right on top of an opponents solid combat unit. Like I said ealier it is INCREDIBLY difficult to completely destroy it, especially when it's in Hth. This will allow you to flank the locked up unit or redeploy to shoot the heck out of it if it does destroy the tank.

All in all I think the ST is well worth the 300 points, I still haven't managed to actually destroy one, cripple, yes, destroy, no.

Zanzibarthefirst
19-01-2007, 09:52
for 300 points, the steam tank does look like a fearsum opponent. I think a fun thing to do with it would let a group of Tomb King chariots charge it, ohh impact hits

John Wayne II
19-01-2007, 11:07
for 300 points, the steam tank does look like a fearsum opponent. I think a fun thing to do with it would let a group of Tomb King chariots charge it, ohh impact hits

The Steam Tank would just laugh it off. You are wounding on sixes, and the Steam Tank would still get a 2+ armour save.

Is the cannon really that useless? I thought it would be an advantage, and if it's not, doesn't it drive the Steam Tank's cost effectiveness down?

gORCUS
19-01-2007, 12:20
Ogre Bruiser w/ the Siegebreaker, automatically hits models w/o initiative, strength 8 (still only wounds on 6's, but -5 armor save), does d6 wounds on a successful wound. The ultimate anti-Stank.

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Avian
19-01-2007, 12:34
Ogre Bruiser w/ the Siegebreaker, automatically hits models w/o initiative, strength 8 (still only wounds on 6's, but -5 armor save), does d6 wounds on a successful wound. The ultimate anti-Stank.

You mean that it wounds on a 2+ against the Toughness 6 Steam Tank, not a 6+. :p

Alathir
19-01-2007, 13:25
Pit of shades its dumb ass!

Commodus Leitdorf
19-01-2007, 13:41

Quite Correct, though all attacks directed against the Steam Tank automatically hit anyway...and you would be taking D6 Strength 6 hits back automatically as anything that causes impact hits takes damage when slamming into the steam tank.

Avian
19-01-2007, 13:47
and you would be taking D6 Strength 6 hits back automatically as anything that causes impact hits takes damage when slamming into the steam tank.
The Siegebreaker doesn't cause Impact hits, it is a magic weapon. Where did you get that idea?

damiengore
19-01-2007, 13:50
Pit of shades its dumb ass!

I'm pretty sure the STank is immune to spells that don't have a strength and that aren't damage oriented.

And yes I think the cannon is pretty damned useless, if you're firing it you're not moving and if you're not moving you're going to end up being a paper weight in the open. From what I've seen at some point in the game the STank will be useless, so it needs to hold up something important to continue having an influence on the game. Always move it, always towards the enemy.

Not only that with a 1 in 6 chance of taking D3 wounds why would you ever want to fire the blessed thing?? My friend did this one game on the first turn and suffered 3 wounds.

Sure a Bruiser combo like that would work but how many points is that? How easy will it be to catch the STank? Will he eat a cannon ball or Handgun bullets? Would you deploy a Bruiser and Bull on the flank to counter the Stank when it can probably outrun you? A lot of factors involved.

There are things that can kill it, they just ussually involve a big investment to do so. I think 90% of the time if you manage to do 5 wounds to it before it reaches you, you ignore it. If it reaches you it will probably be damaged and only be good for locking a unit up indefinetly.

Of course it causes Terror which is good for something.

Madfool2
19-01-2007, 13:50
Maybe he was thinking of the bull charge.

damiengore
19-01-2007, 13:54
Is the cannon really that useless? I thought it would be an advantage, and if it's not, doesn't it drive the Steam Tank's cost effectiveness down?

It doesn't drive the cost effectiveness down because IMO it is meant to plow into something and lock it in place so a more dependable unit can flank it. That and it upsets your opponent who will most likely go out of his way to try to kill it leaving large chunks of you're army unmolested.

It's basically what I get for a 205 point giant but with a 1+ save. The STank is perfectly priced. Sometimes it will surprise you and shatter units but most times it will just lock a sizeable static CR unit up so that you can ignore it or flank it, other times it will do sweet F all.

ffarsight
19-01-2007, 14:18
The real ultimate ST destroyer is................................................ .................................................. ..................................... KARL FRANZ.

4 attacks, hit automatically, wounds automatically and d3 wounds no Armour save, thatīs 2 turns and bye bye ST.

Borin
19-01-2007, 16:03
That's why it's too expensive. The cannon it's useless, 50pts that I've had no paid with the tank modification and end up with more wounds.

ffarsight
19-01-2007, 16:19
i donīt think i will use it often. itīs really, really dificult for the oponnent to get itīs VP, i agree, but it aint gonna be any help for me to get other VPīs after it gets more than 4 wouds, witch isnīt very difficult.

Von Wibble
19-01-2007, 18:46
I won't use it because I don't like tanks. No problems with steampunk or the associated imagery, its just that I dislike tanks.

Besides I've managed fine without the thing for the whole of 6th, and that was with an army that was weaker compared to the opposition...

Commodus Leitdorf
19-01-2007, 21:03
The Siegebreaker doesn't cause Impact hits, it is a magic weapon. Where did you get that idea?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Ogres charging cause impact hits and a Bruiser would receive D6 strength 6 impact hits getting into combat to use Siegebreaker.

Sorry again if I wasn't clear, but as an Empire player whose main opponents are Dark Elves and Brets I dont get to charge alot...so my mind works on a purely defensive mode of play.

gORCUS
20-01-2007, 02:13
Oh yeah, toughness 6, I mixed up wounds and toughness.:rolleyes: I would just try not to initiate a charge outside of 6" with my bruiser, then there's no impact hits, of course being the one time you try to avoid the bull charge you'd probably get it. It's not a super big investment, the siegebreaker is 30 points and a pretty useful weapon, though moreso for a butcher than a bruiser. I've never played against a Stank, but I'd probably place my siegebreaker wielding butcher nearer to it than my other characters, or a slave giant.

beastgod
20-01-2007, 05:04
but you can choose not to use the bullcharge, it stands "may" in the rule.
This mean that orges just dont choose to inflict any impact hits... if im not mistaken...

Krankenstein
20-01-2007, 08:41
I'm pretty sure the STank is immune to spells that don't have a strength and that aren't damage oriented.

I believe the argument is that Pit of Shades (P 114) destroys its target: ”… regardless of any magical protection or special rules.”

So the Pit of Shades rules and the Steam Tank rules seems to be in direct conflict.

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-01-2007, 09:57
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Ogres charging cause impact hits and a Bruiser would receive D6 strength 6 impact hits getting into combat to use Siegebreaker.

Sorry again if I wasn't clear, but as an Empire player whose main opponents are Dark Elves and Brets I dont get to charge alot...so my mind works on a purely defensive mode of play.

Ogres don't have to cause impact hits if they don't want to. It's an option, so they can just choice not to cause impact hits on the steam tank and don't suffer from the impact hits.

Also, it's not really that invulnerable. It's only T6, so plenty of things can hurt it.

Commodus Leitdorf
20-01-2007, 14:19
Ogres don't have to cause impact hits if they don't want to. It's an option, so they can just choice not to cause impact hits on the steam tank and don't suffer from the impact hits.

Also, it's not really that invulnerable. It's only T6, so plenty of things can hurt it.

Fair enough...mind you if the Ogre player in question isn't aware of the damage caused on impact... :)

And im well aware that the Steam Tank is far from invincible, but frankly going out of ones way to deal with only one piece of someones army seems foolish, especially in the case of the Empire. I'd be more concerned about the horde of cheap troops marching unmolested down the field.

Then again in, in defense of the Stank, anything that could potentially charge 30" in the first turn and be in combat is something you gotta respect.

damiengore
20-01-2007, 20:49
I don't think u actually double the movement when charging.

loveless
20-01-2007, 21:47
I believe the argument is that Pit of Shades (P 114) destroys its target: ”… regardless of any magical protection or special rules.”

So the Pit of Shades rules and the Steam Tank rules seems to be in direct conflict.

yay! more things for GW to write up a FAQ about! lol

for whatever reason though, i feel inclined to say that it has no effect on the Steam Tank

Commodus Leitdorf
21-01-2007, 01:53
I don't think u actually double the movement when charging.

No, however each Steam point used gives 3" of movement. You could, potentially, generate 10 Steam points and elect to use all of them when declaring a charge. Which would result in a 30" charge and what ever was on the receiving end of this charge would take D3 impact hits for each Steam point used.

Potentially, Ouch...then again planning ones army around the best case scenario is usually a formula for disaster.

JonnyTHM
21-01-2007, 04:37
You actually cannot generate 10 steampoints...

You choose a number between 0 and 5.

Even if you could choose 10, you would have to roll a -1 on the die in order to get any points.

Tutore
21-01-2007, 05:46
BUT if you fire against it in the first turn with 2 35points worth of goblin bolt throwers, if you hit the tank with one of them, you'll reduce effectiveness, thus negating that movement which should be the main part of the tank. 300 useless points.

lokigod
21-01-2007, 08:32
another steam tank killer. Mork wants ya out of the O&G book..... Pass int. test or take d6 str 10 hits :)

Briohmar
21-01-2007, 19:19
another steam tank killer. Mork wants ya out of the O&G book..... Pass int. test or take d6 str 10 hits :)

Ooh, good call. No one could argue that point as it does specify a strength of attack in the spell. Not exactly what its supposed to do, but it works.

I am reaaly curious about the pit af shades question however. In real life, if we want to stop a tank from doing anything we put a tank trap in it's way. If a tank falls into a 10 foot deep hole or trench, it is stuck. The pit of shades effectively opens up a hole that the target unit fall into, ala a tank trap. I really feel that the spell should work against it, though it doesn't seem to be supported by the rules.

Hywel
21-01-2007, 19:48
Fair enough...mind you if the Ogre player in question isn't aware of the damage caused on impact... :)

Well surely you inform them of this rule? :eyebrows:

My take on the steam tank is that it's a novelty unit to be taken for fun and flavour. Its points to effectivness analysis shouldn't effect the decision to take one or not in my book.

But then I guess each to their own...

NakedFisherman
21-01-2007, 19:57

It is immune to spells without a given strength value. but the rules for Pit of Shades ignore all other special rules.

So no, the Steam Tank isn't immune to Pit of Shades.