PDA

View Full Version : Can you startout with rare stuff?

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
19-01-2007, 01:02
Can a starting gang roster begin with rare items?

athamas
19-01-2007, 02:48
thecnically o, you can only start with the options presented in the initial armoury..

if you group decides to let people though you could.. but that would be a house rule for it...

also not that alot of equipment is common, but not in the initial lists.. so you have to wait to get that aswell

EVIL INC
19-01-2007, 03:47
Its more fun to start with the bare bones basics. That way you can develope your gang's storyline as you go to get the new stuff and develop the member's personalities. Starting with the rarer stuff just takes away in my opinion.

Catferret
19-01-2007, 09:59
Here are some House Rules I was thinking of including in my next campaign. The theory was that at least the Leader would have plenty of experience fighting. He may even have left an old gang to start one of his own. He would be fairly likely to have acquired some decent equipment already as would some Gangers.

The House Weapon Lists should be ignored. Instead gangs will select equipment as follows.

ANY common weapons or equipment may be taken (e.g. Filter Plugs, Clip Harnesses) unless they appear on the following list. Up to three of the following restricted items may be taken at gang creation, after this they move to their normal availability.

Power Axe*, Powerfist*, Power Maul*, Power Sword*, Bolt Pistol, Hand Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Boltgun, Meltagun, Plasmagun, Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Plasmagun, Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Telescopic Sight, Silencer, Weapon Reload
* Leader Only

Bubble Ghost
19-01-2007, 14:40
I always thought the starting equipment lists were a simplification, part of how they always divide the rulebooks into basic and advanced sections. It would be madness to make people wait until after they'd played a game to buy common equipment, and I've never known that to be enforced in any campaign I've played in. Is there some kind of card that gang leaders have to get stamped whenever they fight another gang, and they're only allowed to buy respirators when they have at least one stamp? And if so how do ordinary citizens get them?

Madness!

EVIL INC
19-01-2007, 14:59
My gaming group stuck with the rulebook and did just fine. After all, whats the big deal of playing a single game to buy some equipment that is only flASH. Of course, the rulebook is a guideline and house rules can easily be applied. Whatever works for you, go for it.

Jedi152
19-01-2007, 15:14
I've always stuck with the rulebook, but as BG said, i don't see why you couldn't allow people to buy common objects, or make it a house rule that each gang is allowed 1 random rare item in their gang to start with...

Bubble Ghost
19-01-2007, 16:40
My gaming group stuck with the rulebook and did just fine. After all, whats the big deal of playing a single game to buy some equipment that is only flASH. Of course, the rulebook is a guideline and house rules can easily be applied. Whatever works for you, go for it.

It's the principle more than anything else. It's a pair of handcuffs that I don't think is actually supposed to be there.

EVIL INC
19-01-2007, 17:19
Many of the gangs are reknowned for different fighting styles. This is represented in 3 ways. One is the skill choices available. Another is the actual look of the models. The last is the starting weapon choices. If you just let anyone start off with whatever they want... I know you are not advocating "anything" but just a wider variety. Anyways, All I am saying is that it helps you develope your gang as they go rather then starting fully developed. To many, it is just a matter of preference. My own is to follow the rules (and wear the handcuffs as they are so light and free that they are not even noticable for the single game I have to wear them). That does not mean others need to do so though. Necromunda is a game that is meant for all players to have fun.
Treat the rules as a guideline that your gaming group can agree on and use your own house rules to modify them to suit your needs. One thing to remember though..Even though you may never do this or have the opportunity, you may at some point in time wish to play others outside your gaming group with your gang you have developed. If you use house rules, you may get into arguements or have disagreements with the new gaming group about house rules they may or may not agree with. If you stick to the basic rules in the rulebook, they cannot really have any issues with your gang or anything they might have.

Jo Bennett
19-01-2007, 18:06
Except that the house weapon lists don't have a lot to do with the background or fighting style of the houses, or indeed much to do with basic logic. In the original, and superior, version of necromunda, all houses had the same starting options.

Catferret
19-01-2007, 18:40
While I understand the inclusion of House specific weapon lists, I don't think it was executed correctly. The intention was to add character to weapon selection like the Outlander gangs while still allowing all the basic models to be used.

Unfortunately they screwed up. Why couldn't Van Saar Gangers have Boltguns while Cawdor could? Escher couldn't have Flails despite having a model with them. The errata released partially fixed all this but still left discrepencies. Goliath can't get Lasguns for goodness sake!

Surely every House should have access to Clubs? A metal bar lying around shouldn't be too hard to come by...

Thankfully, House Rules step forward to fix these issues. We as players or Arbitrators can simply say "I don't agree with that, let's change it!". With a bit of logical discussion we can all decide how to run our campaigns.

P.S. Did anybody else return their copy of the Rulebook in disgust at the quantity of errors? At least one on every page! And some of them were the same as the original Rulebook.

Gaz
06-02-2007, 23:30
When I used to play with friends, we'd allow D3 rolls on the rare items chart for starter gangs if we wished. (simply say they represent weapons that have been passed down through generations or somesuch lark, if you want to get picky :p)

Galdur Hrafnsson
07-02-2007, 01:21
P.S. Did anybody else return their copy of the Rulebook in disgust at the quantity of errors? At least one on every page! And some of them were the same as the original Rulebook.

Oh GOD. I'm glad somebody else noticed that. I nearly cried reading through the new rulebook when I bought it. If I hadn't gotten it cheap I wouldn't have bothered. I wouldn't have bought it at all, only I really prefer real books to PDFs, especially something like a rulebook.

Catferret
07-02-2007, 01:33
@Galdur

For a mere 4 or so you can go into an Internet Cafe and print out the Living Rule Book. Dunno how much it would cost to get it professionally bound though. Hole punch and ring binder seem to work ok.

Galdur Hrafnsson
07-02-2007, 01:38
True, but that sounds too much like hard work... I'm rather lazy when it comes to this sort of thing ;) Besides, I'll just scribble stuff into the one I already bought, just cover it in pencil with corrections.

Catferret
07-02-2007, 01:48
A friend of mine highlighted every mistake and then posted it back to GW with a letter of complaint. I don't think he got anything for his troubles though...

Darkhorse
08-02-2007, 17:30
There is a way in which you can get rare items to start with, hiring a fighter from a disbanded gang. Of course this assumes that A) you have a disbanded gang, and B) members of that gang had rare equipment.

Elated Panda
15-02-2007, 19:03
Hey thats a cool idea Darkhorse. Give all your rare items to one feller then in the next campaign rehire him and dish out his rare clobber to all your gang! :)

Catferret
15-02-2007, 19:06
You know what? I'd never thought about doing that... Give everything to a Juve so they are dirt cheap to buy back even with all the equipment. Make sure they also have no xp.

Darkhorse
15-02-2007, 20:49
Of course they'd have to be eligible to carry the equipment, basic and special weapons spring to mind.

Catferret
15-02-2007, 20:56
Oh yeah, I accept that point but Powerweapons from the beginning? Yes please!