PDA

View Full Version : My first tactics post, Night Gobs

DaBrode
19-01-2007, 02:43
Having warseer around is great. I'm glad I finally signed up. You've got a great bunch here.

Anyway, I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm absolutely wasting points on 2 units of 30 NGs w/ spears, netters, and 3 fanatics each @ 250+ pts per unit. Reading the info on these pages and playing a few games has brought me to this conclusion.

Spears seem to be the biggest mistake. Rarely are my NGs making it to HtH combat. I mostly play against Dwarves and you guessed it, gunline tactics.

I think I'm going to drop spears and add bows as I also play against a Lizardman army that has two large targets I'd get 30 shots at. I realize I lose my shields if I do this and that's my question...

Shields or Shortbows?

Shouls I bother with a save-on-a-6 roll when I'm mostly taking armor piercing cannon and str 4 quarreler hits? Seems foolish but maybe I'm forgetting something. Help a greenskin out?

Thanks!

Move Fast Hit Low
19-01-2007, 03:37
i have heard that bows on night gobbos should only be taken in small amounts if at all, orc archers are better bang for the buck when it comes to shooting, if you are worrying about gunline pick up some rock lobbas or spear chukkas

DaBrode
19-01-2007, 03:50
i have heard that bows on night gobbos should only be taken in small amounts if at all, orc archers are better bang for the buck when it comes to shooting, if you are worrying about gunline pick up some rock lobbas or spear chukkas

Fielding 2 lobbas 2 chukkas and a doom diver against this guy, so artillery is not a prob. It's which free option is better...bows or shields.

asrian
19-01-2007, 04:25
I have to put my money with the shields as some save is better than no save at all (especially once you get into close combat). With the short range, poor ballistic skill coupled with potential negatives, and weak strength you are in quite the lackluster unit against most everything, dwarves especially with their toughness as armor.

DaBrode
19-01-2007, 05:48
I have to put my money with the shields as some save is better than no save at all (especially once you get into close combat). With the short range, poor ballistic skill coupled with potential negatives, and weak strength you are in quite the lackluster unit against most everything, dwarves especially with their toughness as armor.

Normally I'd agree with some save is better than none but essetially against Stunties and Lizzies aren't I going to see a -1 save in most cases anyway due to Str 4?

Dis be da kwestyun.

Hugger
19-01-2007, 09:10
I found, that it is most useful to field them as "fanatic-carriers", thus witout upgrades of any kind in units of 20... If you field 2-4 of these, relatively inexpensive, units, with only two of them carrying fanatics, I have often found, that they attract missilefire like the larger targets, giants and boarboyz etc, thus giving those units a chance to charge unscathed. They work great as shields and chargebuffers as well, as orcs don't panic, when gobbos flee through them...

Spears are too expensive, bows are just worthless with range 16" and a large unit, though high static CR, will almost never stand up to an enemy unit if charged... with or without armour or spears, they always end up dead :-)

Tomas

Avian
19-01-2007, 12:38
Shields or short bows doesn't really make much of a difference for Night Goblin units and in both cases you are relying on a large unit of troops instead of whatever equipment they are using. On a general basis I would recommend shields, especially on a larger unit, as the odds of ever getting to shoot with the short bows are pretty bad.

Uses for Goblin Infantry (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/goblin_infantry.php)

The Blue Knight
19-01-2007, 13:44
As a newish NG player hte only thing that I have found to be more frustrating to use than the NG infantry-gob is the NG archer...they are just horrible with those shortbows...

The NG archer in my armys have been limited to two (2) small (10 strong or so) units placed on a flank to act as a speed bump. No fanatics or any other extras.

Avian
19-01-2007, 13:49
The NG archer in my armys have been limited to two (2) small (10 strong or so) units
Minimum size for any type of Goblin infantry is 20, unless you are using some sort of special campaign rules...