PDA

View Full Version : Terrain/board size for AI?

Malakai
19-01-2007, 04:16
What size table are people using to play AI? Are you using terrain or are you painting boards with blue skies and clouds etc? I just ordered my book and I would like to start making the board while the book crosses the pond to me.

thanks,

Malakai

CELS
19-01-2007, 06:04
Boards with blue skies and clouds would look nice, but it wouldn't really make any sense. How often have you been on an airplane, looked out the window and seen the blue sky below you? Not too often, I'd imagine. [And don't some smart-ass point out that the ocean is blue, it still doesn't look like the sky]

I'm just going to use my plain 40k desert board, as it has no features that would make it inappropriate. If I wanted to go crazy, I could probably paint on some tiny roads, lakes, etc. Someone also suggested drawing lines to represent different heights for the mountains and valleys below, like on a map. You could also use entirely flat boards to represent mountains, maybe paint them up so they look a bit like a mountain. Then say that they're height 1 or 2 or whatever.

CENOBITE
19-01-2007, 07:52
Board sizes are stated for each mission in the rulebook, which is always 6' x 4 ' if recall correctly.
If you want to make a new board and keep it simple, maybe one of these http://www.hotzmats.com/felt_purchase_mat.html would be an option.

mageboltrat
19-01-2007, 21:57
I'm just using a flat board, with some middle eastern buildings for scenery (the great thing about these is they have flat tops so you can rest planes on them easily, though it might not be very PC running bombing raids against them)

I am planning to get some blue foam boards and making some mesas so I can do some starwars style bombing runs between cliffs.

grave digger
20-01-2007, 00:13
For starters I'm just going to use my 4x6 board with blue felt. I'll be making islands/atolls out of styrafoam and running missions that way. Plus the islands I make I can use in Man o' War. I've been meaning to make real islands for that game since I got it back in the 90's.

Diggs

Tyra_Nid
20-01-2007, 07:00
Ah, so the suggested board size is 6x4? Same as a 40k board? Interesting... Im tempted to do a Bommerz style board with a big canyon down the middle, but that would be a lot of effort for a game ill probably very rarely play ;)

If you want to make a new board and keep it simple, maybe one of these http://www.hotzmats.com/felt_purchase_mat.html would be an option.

Oh, very nice. Have you used or purchased one of these mats? They look quite good, Im tempted to get one.

CENOBITE
20-01-2007, 07:32
I can not comment on the mats' quality, as I do not own one. They look promising though. I am tempted to get the "space map" and start with Battlefleet Gothic ... *mustresist*

grave digger
20-01-2007, 07:35
The only problem I see with the game mats is the hex grid. You are not allowed to pre-measure in the game but now you suddenly have a grid with distance connected to the grid. Takes a bit out of the game.

Diggs

Spacejens
20-01-2007, 09:11
Reading the descriptions of the mats, I learned that you can buy them with different grid layouts, or without grids.

"You have the choice of purchasing game mats printed with 2, 3, 4 or 5 inch hexes or 2 inch squares, or you may choose a game mat without hexes."

Sounds very interesting actually. I just might get a space mat for another game (Power Projection).

grave digger
20-01-2007, 17:03
Good reading Spacejens. I never got to the end of that sentance.

Diggs

Malakai
20-01-2007, 23:26
I have been thinking about this for awhile and have decided to use a mix of non textured brownish green and blue paint for my board. The reason for not having it textured is because I want to give a real sense of altitude. The blue will serve as a water source, probably ocean in one table quarter, whilst the greenish brown is obviously earth.

Another step is to create small wire frames covered in cotton for clouds. These would have a base so that I could move them or remove them whenever i wished. One last idea I've had is making scale friendly moutain tops that can be placed on the board in the middle of the clouds as if it were breaking through the cloud cover.

Not that imaginative I know, but hopefully someone more talented than I will come up with a better idea so I can copy that.:evilgrin:

-Malakai

CENOBITE
20-01-2007, 23:36
Wait until you see the ocean/island board in AI's hobby section - that is what you will want to have :D

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
20-01-2007, 23:43
Wait until you see the ocean/island board in AI's hobby section - that is what you will want to have :D

Agreed --absolutly. :D

grave digger
21-01-2007, 00:59

I somewhat agree. The only problem with those types of boards is that it is static. By making islands you can mix up the game much more.

At least that's my take on it.

Diggs

CELS
21-01-2007, 01:51
Could someone describe the ocean/island board for us losers who can't afford the AI book yet? :(

grave digger
21-01-2007, 02:00
Oh, it's very nice. A painted blue board with greenish/blue spots where the water is not as deep. On one short end of the board are two islands. One of them being about 2-3feet long by 1-2 feet deep. It has an airfield in the center and sandy beaches. The other island is smaller and slightly to the short board side to the main island.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great board. I just want the ability to move things anyway I like.

Diggs

Malakai
21-01-2007, 04:14
Oh, it's very nice. A painted blue board with greenish/blue spots where the water is not as deep. On one short end of the board are two islands. One of them being about 2-3feet long by 1-2 feet deep. It has an airfield in the center and sandy beaches. The other island is smaller and slightly to the short board side to the main island.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great board. I just want the ability to move things anyway I like.

Diggs

Easy enough. I would just find a very thin piece of hardboard to paint the islands on. You might have to cut it into sections for the larger islands but that sounds like the way I would go. I hate static terrain too.

-Malakai

CENOBITE
21-01-2007, 10:40
Just base your islands on 2-3mm thick MDF and you can arrange them as you like. Make the board itself modular and you could add one that features a beach (landing missions anyone? :) ), or you could even go for a modular board with a harbour.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
21-01-2007, 11:33
Just base your islands on 2-3mm thick MDF and you can arrange them as you like. Make the board itself modular and you could add one that features a beach (landing missions anyone? :) ), or you could even go for a modular board with a harbour.

...and attack (Im) Pearl (ial) Harbour with your Orks or whatever you play. :D

CELS
21-01-2007, 13:13
Surprise attacks aren't orky, you squig-muffin! :p

I think the hull of a Battleship would be quite excellent as an AI board. You could paint it on (boo! hiss!) or model it by using lots of bulkheads and bitz from the 40k urban terrain, literally blanketing the board with terrain. Then again, this would make it quite uneven, so I suppose you'd either have to cover it with transparent resin or some sort of plexiglass.... ah, if only I was a millionaire...

Bravery exists
21-01-2007, 15:53
We play in an exam hall and have pushed together enojugh of those horrible little brown tables to makes a oughly 6 by 4 area which we found is just about enough, we are looking for desert like buildings to go with the colour of the tables and some chaos temples to go with all the graffiti.

njbumper
22-01-2007, 00:26
[QUOTE=grave digger;1230518]The only problem I see with the game mats is the hex grid. You are not allowed to pre-measure in the game but now you suddenly have a grid with distance connected to the grid. Takes a bit out of the game.

They make gaming mat that are FLOCKED green and roll up.They are 6x4 with no grids

grave digger
22-01-2007, 00:44
[QUOTE=grave digger;1230518]The only problem I see with the game mats is the hex grid. You are not allowed to pre-measure in the game but now you suddenly have a grid with distance connected to the grid. Takes a bit out of the game.

They make gaming mat that are FLOCKED green and roll up.They are 6x4 with no grids

A friend of mine has one of these mats. They add an nice touch to the game. Before that he used a roll of green deck carpet (similar to astroturf but thinner).

Bravery exists,

a cheap alternative to multiple desks is to go down to the local hardware store and get two sheets of 1-2" insalation foam (blue or pink, whichever is cheaper). Cut each to 2x6 and than run a few strips of tape down the center as a hinge. Works well and will run you under $20. Throw on a roll of tannish/brown felt and you are set.

Diggs

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2007, 02:25
I'm just using a flat board, with some middle eastern buildings for scenery (the great thing about these is they have flat tops so you can rest planes on them easily, though it might not be very PC running bombing raids against them)

It's the 41st Millenium! No-one's Middle Eastern anymore! Don't worry about it. :)

More pertinently, I'm just going to use the standard 6x4 green felt covering. Might draw little towns and things on bits of paper - it's all representative anyway, and let me tell you, things get small very fast when you're up in the blue ;)