PDA

View Full Version : My brother needs help

Red_Lep
19-01-2007, 15:23
He is wanting to do a Wood Elves or Dark Elves as a starter army and doesn't know which. Any ideas on good small lists to get him started? He will probably play my Lizardmen at 500 for a while to learn.

Caern
19-01-2007, 15:50
If you want to do 500 points of Wood Elves and stay reasonably inexpensive I suggest buying a box of Glade Guard, a box of Dryads, and a box of Wild Riders. Since at 500 points you are playing a Warbands game (if you do not have the rules they are here: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/warbands/warbands.htm).

An alternative list might be to try all trees, so just buy two boxes of Dryads and 3 Tree Kin. Or try all elves, and buy a box of glade guard, a box of glade riders, and wardancers.

I would suggest making a unit Champion your general instead of going out and buying a hero model at that point. That way you do not spend money on a hero you might not end up using much, as Wood Elf heroes usually are best when tailored to a very specific role.

And most of all, make sure your brother doesn't forget to attack with the mounts too! And andd +1 strength from the spears on cavalry on the charge. I see that get missed a lot by new folks.

ffarsight
19-01-2007, 15:52
Hi if he wants wood elves, then he should be good with the batallion deal, its prety good, buy a hero and a mage and its almost 1000 points army

- 12 glade guard
- 12 glade guard
- 12 dryads
- 6 glade riders --- 2 left for another unit

- 1 noble with alter kindred, hail of doom arrow and great weapon.
- 1 spellsinger with dispel scroll

Red_Lep
19-01-2007, 15:52
If you want to do 500 points of Wood Elves and stay reasonably inexpensive I suggest buying a box of Glade Guard, a box of Dryads, and a box of Wild Riders. Since at 500 points you are playing a Warbands game (if you do not have the rules they are here: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/warbands/warbands.htm).

An alternative list might be to try all trees, so just buy two boxes of Dryads and 3 Tree Kin. Or try all elves, and buy a box of glade guard, a box of glade riders, and wardancers.

I would suggest making a unit Champion your general instead of going out and buying a hero model at that point. That way you do not spend money on a hero you might not end up using much, as Wood Elf heroes usually are best when tailored to a very specific role.

And most of all, make sure your brother doesn't forget to attack with the mounts too! And andd +1 strength from the spears on cavalry on the charge. I see that get missed a lot by new folks.

Thanks Caern

Red_Lep
19-01-2007, 15:55
Hi if he wants wood elves, then he should be good with the batallion deal, its prety good, buy a hero and a mage and its almost 1000 points army

- 12 glade guard
- 12 glade guard
- 12 dryads
- 6 glade riders --- 2 left for another unit

- 1 noble with alter kindred, hail of doom arrow and great weapon.
- 1 spellsinger with dispel scroll

And thank you ffarsight

Red_Lep
19-01-2007, 18:51
Any ideas for Dark Elves?

BelgianElf
19-01-2007, 21:12
Dark elves may be slightly trickier. They don't have a battalion set, and do not have true versatility in their force. Only three core units, and far too many special choices really does them in in battles of around 1000-1500pts. If he is just starting, then I would not advise taking either force. If he wants to take them, then fine by him. I just hope he can learn fast!

I would recommend him getting 20 spearmen with a noble, with 5 dark riders supporting. A Reaper bolt thrower wouldn't go amiss, and neither would a sorceress and some shades

Red_Lep
19-01-2007, 21:18
Dark elves may be slightly trickier. They don't have a battalion set, and do not have true versatility in their force. Only three core units, and far too many special choices really does them in in battles of around 1000-1500pts. If he is just starting, then I would not advise taking either force. If he wants to take them, then fine by him. I just hope he can learn fast!

I would recommend him getting 20 spearmen with a noble, with 5 dark riders supporting. A Reaper bolt thrower wouldn't go amiss, and neither would a sorceress and some shades

Your not the first to warn him of their difficulty, he doesn't care. Hes stubborn so he should be fine. He may want Corsairs instead of Spearmen but he'll probably like the rest, thanks.

rockforchumps
20-01-2007, 16:51
In my experience I've found Dark Riders to be the bread and butter of successful Dark Elf lists. So definitely get some of those. Corsairs are decent when kept to a small size and used as a flanking unit. He just needs to remember to use his speed and charge a unit with more than one of his units. That will go a long way.

Red_Lep
20-01-2007, 17:36
In my experience I've found Dark Riders to be the bread and butter of successful Dark Elf lists. So definitely get some of those. Corsairs are decent when kept to a small size and used as a flanking unit. He just needs to remember to use his speed and charge a unit with more than one of his units. That will go a long way.

A. He says thanks, and he's leanin' towards Dark Elves.
B. He was thinking 10 man units of Corsairs(for larger games) and needs advice on Dark Riders numbers. He's probably gunna make a list for 2250 for the league and base his Warband off of that.