PDA

View Full Version : Pit Slaves

Elfhater
20-01-2007, 13:43
I've been thinking about collecting a new gang and I've decided to try out the experimental rules for Pit Slave gangs, and will scratchbuild virtually all the models using the Mordheim Pit Fighter bodies as my basis. I've come up with the following rough list and would like some advice from the rest of you;

Pit Slave Chief armed with Buzzsaw, Claw & Bolt Pistol: 190
- I wanted to do something a little different to giving the Chief a Chainsaw for the parry, so I went for the Buzzsaw instead. I was torn between the Bolt Pistol and a shotgun, but went for the extra attack as opposed to the extra range and flexibility of ammo.

Techno armed with a Plasma Gun and Lasgun: 185
- The PG is probably the best weapon to arm the Techno with, and I decided to give him a reliable backup for when it is recharging or out of ammo.

Servitor armed with Heavy Stubber & Lasgun: 225
- He may cost more than two Pit Slaves combined, but he adds some needed firepower despite his restrictions. I pretty much had to give him the Stubber as the other heavy weapons are too expensive for my taste.

Pit Slave armed with Shears & Laspistol: 90
Pit Slave armed with a Chainsaw & Laspistol:100
Pit Slave armed with a Rock Drill & Autopistol: 90
Pit Slave armed with a Hammer and Autopistol: 95
- That's all the Pit Slave weapons covered...

Total: 975 Credits, leaving 25 creds in the stash.

So, anyone have any words of wisdom before I start buying parts for my gang?

Yorrik
20-01-2007, 19:45
Ah, yes, the pit slave list. Very cool, but in my experience it doesn't perform too well. The lack of reliable ranged firepower is an issue. Also, the techno is usefull off the field, but his stats are so low that he just becomes a liability in a fight. A plasma rifle sounds great until you find out that the gguy firing it is BS2. Give him a knife and a stub gun and hide him behind a bulkhead, that's about the best you can do with him.

Elfhater
20-01-2007, 20:08
I agree with you that the Techno's BS2 makes giving him a Plasma gun seem a bad idea, but it's better to buy one from the start when the creds are available rather then wait till the Techno will be able to use one with some skill and find that it'll take forever to save up enough creds for one (Pit Slave gangs are dirt poor generally). And every scrap of extra firepower will help!

Anyway, after looking at the SG forums, I have an inkling that in the next version of the Pit Slave rules, the Techno's BS will be raised... :D

Catferret
20-01-2007, 21:51
Flamer on the Techno would probably be worthwhile. It's cheap and doesn't use his BS. If he rolls up lots of WS increases then he'll be wanting to get up close anyway.

Tomothy
23-01-2007, 10:45
Starting with Pit Slaves you're going to be low on men, I'd cut the plasmagun to a flamer on the techno, not only is it cheaper it makes better use of his capabilities. I'd also cut his lasgun and the servitors lasgun in order to get more guys.

With the 30 you save from plasma, and the 50 from the 2 lasguns and the 25 you already had you can get one more ganger with pitweapon and pistol.

Palatine Katinka
24-01-2007, 00:28
Does anyone ever give a Plasma Gun to their Chief?

Lord Humongous
24-01-2007, 18:25
I'd give the chief the PG before I'd ever give it to the techno, that's for sure.

Honestly, the weakness of Pit slaves is short range, small numbers, and bad income. Its a pretty awful combination. The servitor seems a good way to help offset the range issue, but with small numbers, he's gonna get shot up pretty easy. A smart enemy will only let him get at most one target a turn. Oh well- put a few enemies down early, and you may win the game.

I'd try to up numbers some. Ditch the plasma gun. Give the techno a hand flamer for self defense, maybe a sword. Until he gets a BS advance, that's really all he's good for- if he gets in a gunfight, he will loose, and you don;t want him to die.

If you don't mind being a bit unconventional, you could consider not buying pit slave weapons for a couple of the guys. HtH weapons are a bit cheaper, and you really do need numbers. Its silly, but NOT using the pit slave weapons makes for a better gang.

Another alternative is hired guns, but the poor income pitslaves get makes those a big gamble.

I really wish SG had made pitslave income better. Like maybe keep it as is for the (admitedly silly) "no weapon" pitslave, but if the slave has a pitslave weapon, they can scrounge d6+1 creds, because they use the tool to harvest scrap, mineral deposits, and so on. That would kill two birds with one stone- it makes pit-slave weapons more worth taking, and also helps the (usually small) gang make enough income to replace its (often frequent) losses.

chivalrous
24-01-2007, 22:19
I haven't played the game in just under a decade and started out with the Pit Slave Gang.
I found a chief armed with a Hammer, chainsword and rockdrill worked pretty well.
Techno worked best with a flamer I'm sad to say. I tried a plasma gun in a few one off games but with the low BS mad hitting anything near impossible and BS upgrades are too infrequent to count on. Taking a flamer and racking up easy XP from auto hits from that worked far better.

One thing I will raise is that in the Old rules the Pit Slaves were only Outlaws and not Outlanders, so it was possible to save up and pay your own bounty. A few lucky Caravan attacks and my gang were out of the slag, holding real territory and making real money!

Vladimir Deathblade
01-02-2007, 22:03
Funnily enough, thats exactly the same combo I'm thinking off for a pit dlave chief... It has a fantastic synergy, with the hammer and chainsword helping you win the combat, and then the drill to cut a big hole in them...

With pit slaves I think you have to really watch your cover. Alot.

Used correctly, they can be terrifying to face.

Tomothy
02-02-2007, 14:47
Personally i think the rock drill is overkill, a chainsaw arm, a hammer arm and a pistol would probably work just as well, cost less and allow you to shoot.

Elated Panda
15-02-2007, 20:08
I really wish SG had made pitslave income better. Like maybe keep it as is for the (admitedly silly) "no weapon" pitslave, but if the slave has a pitslave weapon, they can scrounge d6+1 creds, because they use the tool to harvest scrap, mineral deposits, and so on. That would kill two birds with one stone- it makes pit-slave weapons more worth taking, and also helps the (usually small) gang make enough income to replace its (often frequent) losses.
My mate uses rules that do that and it has pit fighters in it. I'll go get the link.

link (http://www.anthony-case.me.uk/necro/Pit-Slaves.pdf)

Lord Humongous
16-02-2007, 15:18
EP- that is one of the best pit-slave rulesets I have ever seen. I especially like the separation of pit fighters (who start wish WS 4, woot!) and plain slaves (who can use basic weapons, gosh, how sensible). I would heartily encourage their use in any campaign I joined. Even the new weapon rules are worthy improvments, and the techno gets BS 3...