PDA

View Full Version : Halberdiers, Hochland Rifles and Helblaster Volley Guns...

Tom
20-01-2007, 20:56
REVISED NOTE:

Pics are in the second post.

So yes, being a perennial Bandwagon Jumper, I decided...

No, wait, that's not entirely true. I got most of this as a Birthday present. I didn't really decide anything.

Okay, anyway. The Empire. This is probably the forth or fifth one here about it on whatever page we're on alone, so let's not dwell on that fact. Suffice to say, I like the models. They're just so... Well, utterly bonkers. You've gotta respect a country with that kind of taste in headgear and clockwork babies. Greatswords, cheap infantry, probably the funniest war machine in the universe ever (4! 8! Misfire! Bugger!) and that delightful detachments rule (I charge you! And so do my mates! And these other mates of mine shall SHOOT YOUR FACE WHILST I'M AT IT!!!! HUZZAH!) also tipped it in my favour.

Where was I? Ah, yes. Getting to the point. So far, I've amassed about a thousand points of the buggers. Batallion, 15 Greatswords, two State Troops boxes and a Generals box.

Currently stands at a Captain with a Great weapon on foot, 20 Halberdiers, a detachment of 10 Swordsmen, ten Handgunners, 8 Knights, 5 Outriders, 15 Greatswords and a Cannon. I know I need a wizard. And two more Knights.

Now. Onto the nitty-gritty of it all.

I've never been able to get into Fantasy much. It's mostly the fact that the majority of regiments are... well, bloody daunting to paint. So when I recieved the batallion for my Birthday I was kinda panicky.

So I decided to do it swiftly, simply, and most of all, without using the internet much because the thing's a distraction at best and IS KILLING YOU ALL AS WE SPEAK!!!

Then, with impeccable timing, my modem died. I'm at the mother's tright now writing this, so I may not be replying much or updating often. Oh well.

So, I could manage these about ten at a time, using the good old production line technique.

Much to my wonderful surprise, the first block of ten halberdiers took three and a half hours, during which background noise was supplied by the first two Star Trek films.

(Handgunners, Captain and Knights were done at the local GW, second block of ten Halberdiers are being done to as Star Wars marathon. Might even begin the Greatswords too if I'm finished these by the start of Return of the Jedi.)

The colour scheme is a conscious choice. As it stands, the paint schemes of the majority of Empire forces you see look like the Empire armed forces are made up of one-day cricketers, or, for those outside or resentful of the Commonwealth, people in Pyjamas.

Part one of the solution was to ignore the usual halved colour schemes. The majority of my models are brown, with the blue and green of the uniforms refoected in waistcoats, ribbons, doodads, geegaws and the most marvellouis hats in the universe.

Part two was to make sure I didn't spend forever on the basecoats and brown, thus getting bored by the time I was onto the detailing (It's a gaming army, not a work of art!). It's literally just basecoat-drybrush-next model. Scorched brown over black spray, and then the brown from the Skull Pass paint set (Yes! Foundation paint! As a highlight layer!) drybrushed over it. It doesn't look fantastic, but it's playable.

The blue is even simpler. Regal blue over the areas needed to be blue, Ultramarines Blue over that, done.

Then green (Dark Angels, Snot, Snot/Scorpion highlight, done), metal (Tin Bitz, drybrush heavily Boltgun, Armour wash from the engineer painting guide in WD325, flesh (Tanned, Dwarf, Elf, Bleached Bone), White (Shadow, Spwolf, White, White, White) and bone (Bleached bone, done) and we're having a laugh. Ten halberdiers, to a reasonable gaming standard, by the time Shatner yells KHAAAANNNN!!!!

Same techniques apply across the whole army, which is nice, though heroes and the occasional champion or standard might be to my normal standards.

It really is simpler than your average deep-south College Football team.

So yes, pics in a few hours. Until then, imagine it.

Tom
21-01-2007, 00:47
Huzzah!

PICTORAL AIDS!

EDIT: Oh, yes. Not painted the banner yet. Working on what to do in it.

Still learning
21-01-2007, 01:49
i like the contrast in the colour scheme it makes it look uniform and ties it all together.

Bluesabre
21-01-2007, 02:10
Not bad for a quick and easy paint scheme. Like the idea of the state colours being on the extra bits to tie it all together.

jullevi
21-01-2007, 08:36
Have you removed any mold lines from them? I'm sorry to say this, but the mold lines make the handgunners look pretty awful. The paintjob would be nice table-top standard, but the mold lines ruin the models for me :(

scarletsquig
21-01-2007, 14:56
Have you removed any mold lines from them? I'm sorry to say this, but the mold lines make the handgunners look pretty awful. The paintjob would be nice table-top standard, but the mold lines ruin the models for me :(
Yeah, I gotta agree.. even if you just take off the most noticeable lines after you've stuck it together... that extra 5 minutes with a file really makes a huge difference.

Crazy Harborc
22-01-2007, 02:13
Lines or not, still a good paint job. I always try to keep a sharp blade in my modeling knife. I do less over smoothing out using my modeling knife instead of files. For me, files take too much and create flat lines. Over all the minies look good.

Captain_Wolverine
22-01-2007, 02:24
I can't see mold lines! I can see seams on the trousers which don't need to be removed