PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of war

T10
15-07-2005, 12:59
You can take Dogs of War units as rare choices in most armies - e.g. Pikemen or Norse berserkers in an Empire Army.

How about characters, e.g. a mercenary Wizard for use in a Dwarf army?

-T10

Cenyu
15-07-2005, 14:56
For the record: DoW amy list (http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/lists/)

According to this document other armies are allowed to field units included in the DoW list as rare choices. For my understanding this excludes characters but IŽd be happy if someone could validate this interpretation.

€: "Characters of Renown" like the Truthsayer or dark Emissary of course are a different issue.

Chuffy
15-07-2005, 15:35
Also is there any reason why Lords can't take Great Weapons while Captains and Paymasters can?

anarchistica
15-07-2005, 23:39
Also is there any reason why Lords can't take Great Weapons while Captains and Paymasters can?
Aside from GW not being able to write a set of coherent rules if their lives would depend on it? Nope.

Fun waste of time: Make a list of all characters that can have a lance/spear when not mounted, and all the characters that can have either a single weapon option or a "foot" weapon option + a "mounted" weapon option.

T10
16-07-2005, 10:25
According to this document other armies are allowed to field units included in the DoW list as rare choices. For my understanding this excludes characters but IŽd be happy if someone could validate this interpretation.

"Unit" usually means "a single thing, person or group", the "group" being the most appropriate in a military context. "Unit" in table-top terms includes single models such as characters moving on their own.

But all that is just prattle.

In most circumstances where the rules begin to go fuzzy, the landscape begins to turn grey and everyone you meet is a guy with a full beard and a pack of cheese, the question isn't wether one can bend the rules to ones own will, but to ask "will this reasonably work"?

As far as I can tell, for non-character Dogs of War... elements taken in other armies, the original type does not matter. If you take a Dogs of War core unit, special unit or a rare unit - it is still a rare unit in your Empire or Lizardman army.

For normal units, this is ok. After all, it "costs" to spend a rare choice on some Cavalry or Dwarf crossbowmen.

Characters, though, is a different matter. Would it be reasonable to allow a Dogs of War Lod as a Rare choice in a 1000 points game? Hardly.

If taking Dogs of War characters is allowed, then it should not allow the player to break the limit of characters in the army.

So what's my point? Well, fluff-wise it is reasonable for at least certain characters to hire out their services - wizards in particular. On the other hand, it does introduce a lot more trouble than it is worth, so I would have to go for a "No".

-T10

Cenyu
16-07-2005, 18:59
I can follow your argumentation - hell, I wanted to build a VC list including a hired merc wizard myself.

But you are right about the character slots - in the DoW list there is no sentence like "mercenary characters from the DoW list occupy a rare and a character slot" but hiring characters is completely skipped.

Arr... :-/

samw
20-07-2005, 01:39
I'm certain I saw an FAQ where this practice was called "a horrible piece of rules lawyering." I'll see if I can track it down. I'd say certainly not, if you want a wizard hire a Dark Emissary/Truthsayer, this is definitely legal.

T10
20-07-2005, 11:22
For the moment, taking a Dogs of War character is like putting the square peg into the round hole: you can force it through, but something is bound to break...

I guess I'll make do without a wizard in my Dwarf army.

And as for the Dark Emissary? I wouldn't be seen undead in the same room.

-T10