With Vamp try to roll down the enemy flank

Casting Pool: 7

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 100

Total Army Cost: 2000

What do you think ???

Grey-Knight
15-07-2005, 14:08
first, i would drop gw on lord, his high initative is put to waste and with killing blow he is good at str 5, also why would you give him the enchanted shield?, with a great weapon it would do no good, keep that but as i said before, drop the great weapon.

Drop the great weapon on the thrall and give him a lance, with his black knights they should only be in combat one round anyway, and incase they are bogged down for a turn his initative isnt wasted

Give the necromancer the black periapt instead of the staff of damnation, hellish vigor isn't as useful as it sounds and you save 25 points.

drop the spears on skeletons and give them hand weapons, skeletons don't win combats by causing wounds, they win by outnumbering and causing fear, so just raise more and you'll save points on the spears.

20 zombies is not enough, 25-30 is a good number.

make the fell bats 5, just a better number...

try to buy a 3rd spirit host, two is not enough in my oppinion.

instead of giving the black knights the warbanner give them the banner of the barrows and have them hitting everything on a 3+

Karhedron
15-07-2005, 14:19
What do you think ???
In general it looks very good, I run a similar list but I do have some suggestions.

1 * Blood Dragon Vampire Count @ 346 Pts
Blood Dragon; General; Magic Level 2; Great Weapon; Full Plate Armour
Enchanted Shield [10]
Red Fury [30]
Master Strike [25]
Crown of the Damned [35]
You cannot use the Enchanted Shield with a Great Weapon (GW uses both hands). Bearing in mind that the BD is already S5 and has a high initiative, I would go with a plain shield and sword combo. This will allow you to strike first against most opponents and still get the 2+ armour save. Secondly, only take the Crown of the Damned with a Vampire Lord. On a Ld9 Count, the risk of failing the stupidity test is just too high. Downgrade this item to a Ring of Night, that will still give him a 2+ normal save and a 5+ ward save on a T5 character who can replenish his wounds. He will still be almost impossible to kill.

Use the 15 points saved in this way to buy a Black Periapt. This handy little item will help you make the most of your power and dispel dice.

1 * Blood Dragon Vampire Thrall @ 132 Pts
Blood Dragon; Barding; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield
Red Fury [30]
Nightmare
Again drop the shield since you cannot combine it with a Great Weapon.

20 Zombies @ 130 Pts
Standard
Buy them a Musician too. The ability to win drawn combats is vital for large fear-causing units.

Other than these minor adjustments, it looks like a very solid list.

Akuma
15-07-2005, 15:10
You cannot use the Enchanted Shield with a Great Weapon (GW uses both hands). Bearing in mind that the BD is already S5 and has a high initiative, I would go with a plain shield and sword combo

I dissagree - You can CHOOSE what you will use , so if a Ogre Tyrrant or similar bastard bearing GW comes my way i'll pick up my trusty GW and choop him to bits ( if both have GW - stricke in I order ;) ) and aginst non GW bearers i'll just use sword and hw combo - but you'r right i dont need enchanted shild couse sh + hw will net me +2 as anyways :D

Secondly, only take the Crown of the Damned with a Vampire Lord. On a Ld9 Count, the risk of failing the stupidity test is just too high. Downgrade this item to a Ring of Night, that will still give him a 2+ normal save and a 5+ ward save on a T5 character who can replenish his wounds. He will still be almost impossible to kill.

Good Point - i'll make 15 points by taking ring of the night and skipping enchanted shild and take parpiat instead.

Buy them a Musician too. The ability to win drawn combats is vital for large fear-causing units.

Well i think just the opposite - most unit ( living ones that is take musicans - so my musican doesnt win combat he just draws them - and loosing by one means one more skilly or in this case zombi death - i agree if i would have points i wouldnt hesitate.

drop the spears on skeletons and give them hand weapons, skeletons don't win combats by causing wounds, they win by outnumbering and causing fear, so just raise more and you'll save points on the spears.

No wander you dont like helish vigour :D - spears are the anwser for those units that are immune to psychology - or unbreakable ones - coupled with helish - it nets you 11 attacks that come first with a reroll - do you still think it's rubbish ???

20 zombies is not enough, 25-30 is a good number.

I agree - just don't have points and besides thay are easiest to raise and Vamp goes with them so thay shouldnt have that much problems in a fight.

make the fell bats 5, just a better number...

To unwildy thay have big bases and dont fit good betwean the units - it hinders thayir manuver ability

try to buy a 3rd spirit host, two is not enough in my oppinion.

I wou;dnt agree on that either - if something can target them ( magical missiles and stuff ) thay are tost anyway.

Ok and now for ... something compleatly diffrent - whitch is better ??? the old one or this one below ???

1 Von Carstein Vampire Lord @ 436 Pts
Von Carstein; General; Level 3 Wizard; Great Weapon
Crown of the Damned [35]
Walking Death [35]
Aura of Dark Majesty [25]

1 Necromancer @ 150 Pts
Magic Level 2
Book of Arkhan [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]

1 Necromancer @ 140 Pts
Magic Level 2
Staff of Damnation [40]

24 Skeleton Warriors @ 250 Pts
Spear; Shield; Standard; Musician
1 Skeleton Captain @ [10] Pts

24 Skeleton Warriors @ 250 Pts
Spear; Shield; Standard; Musician
1 Skeleton Captain @ [10] Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

6 Ghouls @ 48 Pts

6 Ghouls @ 48 Pts

23 Grave Guard @ 367 Pts
Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
War Banner [25]
1 Crypt Keeper @ [12] Pts

4 Fell Bats @ 80 Pts

2 Spirit Hosts @ 130 Pts

Casting Pool: 9

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 105

Total Army Cost: 1999

???

Karhedron
15-07-2005, 19:02
1 Von Carstein Vampire Lord @ 436 Pts
Von Carstein; General; Level 3 Wizard; Great Weapon
Crown of the Damned [35]
Walking Death [35]
Aura of Dark Majesty [25]

What, no summon Wolves? IMHO, this is the best Von Carstein power since the ability to have D3 Dire Wolves pop up behind an anyone War machine is just too good to turn down. I would drop Walking Death and replace it with Summon Wolves. The extra points can then be used to buy a Black Periapt again (can you tell I am fond of that little trincket? ;)).

Ok and now for ... something compleatly diffrent - whitch is better ??? the old one or this one below ???
They both look fairly good. I would go for the first one simply because I am fond of Blood Dragons (something about WS9 armour wearing undead wizards just appeals to me ;)). Also I prefer a Count and a Thrall to a Lord in 2000 points.