PDA

View Full Version : Moonstone of Hidden Ways

Peegore
21-01-2007, 19:59
Just wanting a general concensus on Moonstone of Hidden Ways for Wood Elves.

Item can be used at end of 'the Move' phase. This suggests it can be used in either players move phase.

Direwolf FAQ believes it Can be used in either players move phase.

My opponent the other night pretty much screamed 'cheeze' when I suggested I was about to do this.

Sporting player that I am I didn't use it in his turn.

BUT, what do you lot think of this? Or have you seen any other clarification on this elsewhere?

Falkman
21-01-2007, 20:04
That does not sound like it was intended, but then there is nothing in the rules that actually forbids it either.

Atrahasis
22-01-2007, 01:02
If you want to be really pedantic, there's no such thing as the "Move phase". ;)

GodHead
22-01-2007, 01:39
That is the damn dumbest thing. I remember a time when Direwolf used to give reasoned and well thought out answers, not just shovel more "RAW IS MY GOD AND I WILL BREAK YOU UPON ITS ALTAR" ******** than GW.

Rivlo
22-01-2007, 04:05
I don't see the debate whether this is legal or not. If it's amended in a GW FAQ, then it's illegal. But until then, go ahead and do it (I reeeallyy hate when people reference Direwolf, as it's not legal and I couldn't give two craps what it says).

DeathlessDraich
22-01-2007, 11:09
I don't think you've interpreted this correctly.
"If the character and any unit they have joined is wholly within a wood at the end of the Move phase, ...etc"

Bad Grammar first of all:p If you apply the same interpretation to other movement rules you'll find it very unacceptable:

E.g.
It also says in the main rule book pg 10, "During the movement phase you may move your models as defined in the rules for movement"

Using you interpretation you could move your models in your opponent's movement phase.

No one would interpret this rule in this manner.

If the Moonstone rule had been worded as,
"If the character and any unit he has joined is wholly within a wood at the end of any Movement phase, ...etc"

then your interpretation would be acceptable.

Peegore
22-01-2007, 16:10
Thanks for the input. Even the sarcastic ones.

Obviously I'm happy enough to let common sense dictate with this item and not use it in the opponents move phase. Winning a game by bending rules isn't pleasant in the slightest, and wouldn't want to stoop to those levels. It was just a RAW thing...

But it puts me in mind of the Frenzy fiasco last year. As it happens, it fell in favour of the Lucky Few who seemed to NEED the ultimate killing machine in their list.

Gotta love GW for it's grammar... And Frenzied troops ;)

Griefbringer
22-01-2007, 16:27
Notice that being able to use it at the end of your opponents movement phase would theoretically make it extremely powerful (depending on the amount of forests on the table) as you would first wait for the enemy to have moved, then teleport your troops into a place for perfect flank/rear charge, and then charge in your own turn.

Then again, back in the 4th edition both players could cast spells on every magic phase (both own and opponents).

Peegore
22-01-2007, 16:34
Yeah, agreed. And for the points it's either a bargain or just plain wrong.

I'm quite settled in the latter camp. Just hope my fellow gamers are as flexible if any of their rules are contentious.

Crazy Harborc
23-01-2007, 01:09
Are there any magic toys in the game that are allowed to be used in the other guy's turn......that do not say so in the description for the toy?? If it can work during either player's turn...why is it a secret?

Oh, I think it's time to write some (more) secret rules:evilgrin:

Peegore
23-01-2007, 14:55
As it happens, yes. Gaemrath - Banner of Midwinter. ( Yes, it's Wood Elfy...:eek: )

'Declare banner's use at beginning of the movement phase'

Same as Moonstone. Not Wood Elf movement phase. the Movement phase.

I'm not saying anything on this one either way. Just answering a question...:) But after our discussions, I think the general concensus will be obvious.

Jester007
23-01-2007, 19:06
If you want to be really pedantic, there's no such thing as the "Move phase". ;)

What kind of crap is that?! No such thing as a "Move Phase"? Then why in the Core Rule book on page 10 does it say that the 2nd part of the turn is called the "Movement Phase"? Or am I being delusional?

Anyways, I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't use it in someone else's turn. But if you only have one forest on the board, or if there is another one but in a far off corner, then it really doesn't do you a whole lot of good. I figure a FAQ will be done (besides the one in Direwolf) that will put the arguement to rest. Good luck though. Later!

Got Squig?

Atrahasis
23-01-2007, 21:27
What kind of crap is that?! No such thing as a "Move Phase"? Then why in the Core Rule book on page 10 does it say that the 2nd part of the turn is called the "Movement Phase"? Or am I being delusional?Reread what I said, then reread what you said. Note the differences. I know you can do it.

Anyways, I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't use it in someone else's turn. By that reasoning, my troops can shoot in your shooting phase.

Peegore
23-01-2007, 22:35
Ah, Atrahasis. 'The Extra-wise' Not blowing one's own trumpet with that moniker...;) I remember you from some posts way back! they were interesting....:)

So, reigning the question back in, what are your thoughts on the Moonstone? Otherwise threads like this become a bit messy. Noticed your sig has something suggesting you play the RAW way.

mightygnoblar
23-01-2007, 22:58
id probably say that the banner of midwinter could be used in your opponents movement phase as it would significantly hinder its effectiveness if it could not

Atrahasis
24-01-2007, 00:11
Ah, Atrahasis. 'The Extra-wise' Not blowing one's own trumpet with that moniker...;)I've been using it for years, since back when I was in a Quake2 clan with some guys from school. I chose it because one of them couldn't get his tongue around it in a Religious Studies class and it made for some interesting voice comms. It stuck.

So, reigning the question back in, what are your thoughts on the Moonstone?It works in the controlling players turn only. That's the convention in Warhammer - "the XXXX phase" means your XXXX phase unless specifically noted otherwise.

Noticed your sig has something suggesting you play the RAW way.Actually, it says the opposite. ;)

I'll argue RAW here, but in games I'll point out the rule and if I can't get you to see it that way, or we agree that it makes no sense, I'll play something different. People seem to have trouble accepting the dichotomy, which is why the sig is there - I got tired of having to post on the 20th page of a thread that the position I was arguing was not necessarily how I would play it. If my opponent insists on RAW then that's what they'll get, and they'd better be ready for it :)