PDA

View Full Version : Four Thunderbolts in a Pear Tree

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2007, 00:05
Hullo all!

Strictly speaking this is close to heresy as these are Games Workship Epic T-bolts, not Forge World AI T-bolts but I think you can overlook that. ;)

I present to you the first Thunderbolt in 'B' Flight, 266 Squadron, Imperial Navy, Eastern Fringe.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00335.jpg
Black 7, painted in overall low-visibility greys with pale grey underbelly - yellow strips are theatre markings.

Next to come! Black 5, 6 and 8. Black 5 will be the Flight Leader and will have some gucci extra markings scrawled on 'im. Comments? Thoughts? Criticism?

Oh - and yes, I know the base isn't an AI base, I plan on using spare AI bases to put next to the aircraft. This way I can use all my AI craft in Epic and vice versa. :)

grave digger
22-01-2007, 02:44
I like it Gen.,

How about I send all of my Imperials your way for painting;) Did you hand draw the "7" or did you find a transfer?

Diggs

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2007, 02:47
Freehand all the way, Diggs. I prefer it to transfers, although when I'm doing aeroplane modelling (not often nowadays) I always use the transfers as I'm not insane or skilled enough to do things like freehand lozenge camo or the DANGER! ENGINE IS HOT and WALK HERE signs.

If you want to ship your Imperials over here and pay me a small commission I'd be more than willing to paint 'em up for you!

Black 5, 6 and 8 are being painted as I type - well, just before I type and just after, but hey - who's counting. :p Expect pics of them up fairly soonish.

grave digger
22-01-2007, 02:49
I thought you were using your teeth to paint while you type:)

I look foward to seeing the rest. I like the Epic Thunderbolts and I like the FW Thunderbolts. It's a shame they could not have been the same size.

Diggs

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2007, 04:29
Well, I finished them - almost. No flock so I can't do the bases, and I noticed after taking the photo that I'd not touched up where the flight stand stem meets their underbellies.

No matter.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00338.jpg
L-R: Black 5, 6, 7 and 8. Note the red trailing edges of Black 5 denoting his Flight Leader status.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/GenSteiner/Toy%20Soldiers/DSC00340.jpg
L-R, Front: Black 6, 5. L-R, Rear: Black 7, 8. Note the attempt at reversing the camouflage patterns, but I forgot how to do it. When I get Marauders I'll do it properly (i.e. doing one with a base of Codex Grey and a disruptive pattern of Space Wolf Grey - and the other with a base of Space Wolf and a pattern of Codex).

So, there you have it. My 4 T-Bolts ready and raring to go. Thoughts?

My next purchase will be two Marauders, also from GW - and then some Ork Fighta-Bommas (again GW) to play against. If I ever get round to getting FW stuff it'll be Tau and Lightnings...

Malakai
22-01-2007, 11:33
Nice stuff given the model. You should really look into the forgeworld stuff if you have the resources cause you deffinately have the talent.

Malakai

Brother_Bethor
22-01-2007, 15:57
Your T'bolts looks really great. I can't wait to see your Marauders. Good job!

Christine
22-01-2007, 18:00
Good stuff I really oughta post some piccys of the ones I've been painting as well - in fact we really need a 'show us your wing / squadron' thread...

Mkstein
22-01-2007, 18:58
Oh how I wish I was in a Vampire on that last shot; perfect shooting opportunities....

But anyway, excellently painted! You've made the epic Ts absolutely awesome :-)

njbumper
22-01-2007, 19:51
GREAT paint job on those planes

Ixajin
22-01-2007, 21:32
Those T-Bolts look fantastic! Nice work. :)

Gen.Steiner
23-01-2007, 20:05
Well, I've ordered two Marauders (should be with me by Friday) and have flocked the bases of the T-bolts.

In case anyone wants to know how I painted my T-bolts, here's a Short Guide:

1) Spray 'em black.
2) Paint the upper surfaces Codex Grey.
3) Paint the underside Space Wolf Grey.
4) Paint on a camo pattern in Shadow Grey.
5) Wash the entire model with black (you want it to dull the paint and rest in all the crevices, so about 1:3 or 1:4 black to water).
6) Paint the guns, missiles and engine intake/exhausts black. Also paint the aircraft number on if you so wish.
7) Paint the wingtips and rudder (W&R) white (this is in preparation for doing the theatre markings, if you want to you can skip this or paint them in a different colour, e.g. green or red or even purple, which might not require an undercoat).
8) Paint the tips of the missiles red.
9) Paint the W&R Golden Yellow.
10) Paint the cockpit canopy Regal Blue.
11) Highlight the W&R with Sunburst Yellow.
12) Highlight the canopy with 1:2 Regal Blue and Skull White.
13) Highlight the W&R with Bad Moon Yellow.
14) Highlight the canopy with 1:3 or 1:4 Regal Blue and Skull White.

Voila! Note that markings are all optional and you may wish to invent your own. :)

Daniel36
23-01-2007, 20:34
Makes me wanna play Epic! Good stuff!!!