3 Rat Ogre Packmasters @ [0] Pts
Whip; Light Armour

15 * Stormvermin @ 160 Pts
Halberd; Heavy Armour; Shield; Command

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 208

Total Army Cost: 2000

Basic Skaven charge n' flank tactics with a defensive general, plenty of ranged combat to soften them and a quick moving heavy hitter in case of trouble on the field. Currently untested, any suggestions?

kirbyroxor
04-04-2005, 22:54
I really like the list but I have a couple of suggestions. First mabye add somemore models to the storm vermin and plauge monks, I think 20 in each units would be good. Mabye allso give your general somekind of special weapon of some sort? Other then that I think the list is really nice.

Major Defense
05-04-2005, 02:22
Aw, what a ripoff! I was all ready for a warbands thread and here it's a 2000 point army thread. Does anybody here play a lot of warbands? I find them a lot of fun and very satisfying for such a small, quick fight.

scatterlaser
05-04-2005, 09:04
Looks pretty solid. Random thoughts:

- The Stormvermin unit seems pretty small. If Stormvermin actually hit reasonably hard they'd make a decent flanking/support unit, but a handful of WS4 S4 attacks don't really worry anybody. Stormvermin are pretty much Clanrats that pay a premium for better defensive abilities (WS4 and a 3+ save in HtH) and a magic banner slot. Offensively, they're not that great. I'd probably bump them up to 25 or so, give them the War Banner and rely on ranks, outnumbering and the banner to beat things. The Plague Monks could also probably use a few more models (I'd take a unit of at least 20).

- I'd definitely grab a great weapon for the Warlord - S6 can come in very handy vs tough/heavily armoured opponents. It's probably worth having the option to use it.

- Taking units of 21 Slaves rather than 20 means that the enemy has to kill 6 models to cause a Panic test, rather than 5. Not a massive advantage, but it can come in handy, and it only costs 2pts extra. :)

- I'm not really sold on spears for Clanrats - they cost more and give you a worse save in HtH. The additional attacks can be handy, but if you're defending (and therefore able to use them), you're often better off with the HW/shield bonus. If you need to shave any points off to fit something else in, you could probably drop the spears from a few units.

- Rat swarms are very, very good. M6, W5, skirmish and Unbreakable is a bargain for 45pts per base. They'll hold stuff up for quite a while, they'll actually hurt a lot of light units quite badly, they're very fast, you can shoot over them and they don't cause Panic if they're destroyed. I highly recommend a unit of 3 (or more, if you can get them). The plague upgrade is a bit pricey, but it can sometimes come in handy if you have points spare.

- Gutter Runners are also very handy to have. Units of 5 with two poisoned hand weapons and the tunneling upgrade are horribly good at killing off war machines, assassinating mages and marchblocking the enemy. You don't have to tunnel with them if you don't want to, so they're quite flexible.

shadow hunter
05-04-2005, 13:58
Scatter laser has some good points and I agree with a lot he says.

I have used a warplock pistol a couple of times on a warlord, to no real effect. I'd drop it, for the points saved get a magical sword. Sword of might is useful, and you get to use your shield still in hth.

Please, please, please have a warpfire thrower. Dont overload on the ratling guns. I know they're more unreliable, but they can be very effective (panic D3 wounds).

I would go with either monks or storm vermin, and then fill that unit out more. They are too expensive to field both. And then maybe give one a magic banner, like the warbanner?

6 Jezzails won't actually do a huge amount, try and squeeze a couple more in if you can, or drop them for ratswarms and tunnelers as these are very good units.

Overall though, you have a good amount of models. We can only give you advice on what we think might be useful. The best thing to do is to try it out against your opponent (who he plays as will make a difference too) and give us feedback.

Ethereal Alpaca
05-04-2005, 14:10
Go with shunter's advice on the warlord. Even a biting blade would probably do more than the pistol.

While you overall model count is good, your units are too small IMO. Talking from experience 25 is only just large enough for clanrat units in 1k games, never in higher. Drop the pistols from both the engineers, and the spears from two of the clanrat units. Now increase the remaining spear unit to 29 models, and the other two to 30.

Also, drop the stormvermin completely, and get more plague monks and jezzails with the points.

Artemis_Quinn
07-04-2005, 21:08
Well, I like that your list is not the SAD one most often seen, but I have a few suggestions of my own.

- For your warlord drop the pistol and the amulet and replace them with the weeping blade, find a good unit and stick him it it. When the unit is thrown into combat (by charging or being charged is even better unless their strength is reaal high) issue a challenge and win combat on overkill wounds :D. I love my sneaky Skaven tactics, (I actually prefer to do this with a plague priest, but with the warpstone armor when being charged ithings could get interesting)

- Drop the pistols on your engineers too, they're next to useless.

- For your clanrat units, (this is what I do now) drop the spears and the WHOLE command. This makes your clanrat units cheaper and on top of that more expendable because you don't have to worry about giving up standards to your opponent should you lose combat. My units cost 185 points (25 rats and a ratling gun), a 50 point improvement on yours, that's almost another third of a clanrat unit, and it IS a whole slave unit (unless you run them in 30 man units like I do). Playing around with it I never even miss the standard bearer or musician, though a tear always comes to my eye when I have to throw my freaky champions amoungst the ranks :( .

-Drop the stormvermin, in my opinion they just aren't worth the cost any way you slice it (monetary or stats, though I am partial to the new models). Drop them and put what you take out of them and put it into the plague monks. Boost the Monks up to 30 and give them the Umbranner (opponent dependant). Throw your warlord in there and have fun (BTW.... this is the one unit in the entire army that I actually do buy a full command for). The only drawback to them is that they can be easily rerouted at your opponent's discretion, but that's what gutter runners are for :D. There are also some cheap tricks you could pull (like throwing rat swarms in front of them so they can't move where you don't want them, untill you're ready to charge) but I personally try to stay away from such underhanded manipulations of the rules that could be called Skavenesque tactics. :p

Just also wanted to say that I am glad you decided to use rat ogres, but don't sell rat packs short, they are pretty good too. What's more is that like rat ogres there are not many that I am aware of that use them. If I had any I would and make them look like the best unit ever made, but that's just me.

therat
08-04-2005, 19:09
Okay, pistol on warlord is dropped without a doubt and the pistols on the engineers never existed (I guess I should've mentioned that). My reason for not giving the warlord a magic weapon was I don't plan on putting him in combat, I always end up with horrible luck on the part of my generals, so this time around I figured I'd give him two solid saves and stick him in the rear of a stormvermin unit. I wasn't too satisfied with this because I don't normally take stormvermin as they never do anything. That said, the stormvermin have also been removed, and monks will be added. I was also able to add a few jezzails. As for the clanrat alterations, I'm not quite sound on removal of spears or command, my old list did without spears, but once I put them in I never looked back. I used to go it without champions as well, which gave me a slave unit that ended up getting a mortar shell dropped on it. Anyway, the above has given me some stuff to think about and play with (or drop completely), thanks.

BullBuchanan
08-04-2005, 19:33
Aw, what a ripoff! I was all ready for a warbands thread and here it's a 2000 point army thread. Does anybody here play a lot of warbands? I find them a lot of fun and very satisfying for such a small, quick fight.
we used to play them alot at my local hobby store, but since we all finally got enough points to do 2000 we dont do them as often. This week we did do a tag-team however. Bretonnians and bretonnians vs Ogres and Bretonnians. It was an awesome fight, and hella fun.

therat
08-04-2005, 19:41
What in the name of the lady of the lake was the basis for such an encounter? The notion of bretonnia marching on ogres who, for some strange reason, have been joined by none other than bretonnia boggles my mind.