PDA

View Full Version : Modelling ideas- Chaos Dreadclaw?

fattdex
23-01-2007, 02:07
I decided that if I want to use a transport for my chaos side, I'll use arvus rules with a dread claw model, but I have been raiding the games workshop sites trying to find something suitable to not much avail.

but.... what do you think of these as a basis?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/plasmarifle.jpg

plus some plasticard fins, i reckon they would be quite passable. any other ideas?

orangesm
23-01-2007, 02:30
Looked at Epic SM drop pods?

fattdex
23-01-2007, 03:33
Yeah but as far as I can see, they are modeled deployed open on a ground base and that would look a bit funny flying through the air. is there any closed versions?

orangesm
23-01-2007, 04:00
Sorry no... but you were asking for a base for the dreadclaws. I am not sure what else will work.

grave digger
23-01-2007, 04:20
fattdex,

go here for some nice ideas:http://www.thewarstore.com/narnregime.html

I'm thinking the Bin'Tak Dreadnought could be used with Thunderhawk Transporter rules.

Diggs

fattdex
23-01-2007, 04:57
That is quite nice and is a good idea too, but I do have the feeling that FW will eventually release rules and a model for the dreadclaw so I figure that i will try and make some models until such a time ;-)

grave digger
23-01-2007, 05:37
Ahh, but will they be as inexpensive as these?

My fear is that it will be some time before FW adds anything major to the game. Only time will tell.

Diggs

Arkhar
23-01-2007, 10:06
Thats a good idea grave digger!!! They look that they´re actually from chaos

Baaltharus
23-01-2007, 11:23
The dreadclaws an assault pod is it not? Surely this would move far too quickly to be intercepted by the likes of aircraft.

Al.

grave digger
23-01-2007, 15:39
The dreadclaws an assault pod is it not? Surely this would move far too quickly to be intercepted by the likes of aircraft.

Al.

I do believe you are correct if my memories of BFG are not mistaken. I think that using proxy rules for the Arvus would be a good compromise. Not much fun trying to defend a base from assault when you get no chance of shooting the defenders down. I guess you could use AA guns but what would you planes do?

Diggs

Baaltharus
23-01-2007, 16:45
In my mind your best bet would simply to make up a landing craft of your own creation. Much of the Chaos army is completely rag tag and you shouldn't have any real trouble simply using the likes of the Arvus' rules.

Using an existing craft just causes problems, the likes of drop pods were created so they couldnt be engaged by aircraft and AA weapons only have the slimmest hope of stopping them before they hit the ground.

The problem with drop pods is they are one shot weapons and don't contain a great amount of troops compared to the likes of a Thunderhawk which deploys the same as 4 drop pods, the marines equipment and reserves of ammo and well as providing devasting fire support and the ability to transport again after the incertion.

You'd be better off just leaving drop pods out of the game altogether imo.

Al.

fattdex
23-01-2007, 17:09
yeah, but a dreadclaw is not simply a drop pod, based on the 40k rules it is an unarmed flyer and an orbital lander, as well as being able to deploy drop pod style, they can take off, fly in the atmosphere, land again and pick up troops, hence why i supposed to use the arvus rules, which should be pretty similar in spirit to a dreadclaw (small fast vessel used to ferry troops to and from ships with a small cargo capacity)

Gen_eV
25-01-2007, 05:16
Does the Arvus have rocket boosters?

If so, it's a perfect fit - the Dreadclaw would then be VERY fast in space using rockets, as befits its assault boat usage, but would become significantly slower once it hits the atmosphere, which seems perfectlyacceptable.

Of course, somthing about them means I'd make sure they're Low Manoeuverability even if the Arvus is better, as I just can't see a glorified drop pod doing tight turns and the like, more of a straight-line guy really.

Cartographer
25-01-2007, 11:33
Forgive me, but I was under the impression that the Fighters/Bombers/Assault Boats in BFG are roughly the size of Boeing 737s.

So wouldn't any undertaking have to make them at least the same size as a Thunderhawk? With comparable armour? They have to attack craft 5 miles long which are studded with weapon mounts and turrets afterall.

fattdex
25-01-2007, 14:12
just check out the 40k scale one (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/dreadclaw.htm), it is comparable to a drop pod / arvus lighter in scale, slightly larger.